NX aka Nintendo switch revealed! (3rd party support revealed & backed by NVIDIA)

xZoneHunter

2 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Happy for people that want that Zelda game....

But I'll be hunting robodinosaurs and forgetting about the Switch in early March.

Switch had me so excited that I forgot that Horizon Zero Dawn releases around March. I've already got both it and South Park: Fractured Butthole pre-ordered. Seeing as the new Super Mario won't release until December, I probably won't get the Switch day one though. I'll get it for sure by the time Mario releases, perhaps a bit sooner if there's a fun bundle.

2 hours ago, Splathew said:

I mean it looked good and all but not $360 good after getting the console and the game.

I understand, and to each his own. Personally it's not just Mario that did it for me - we already knew about a new Zelda, and the games I play with friends (Kart/Party/Smash) are a given. I just needed one single confirmation to be actively excited about the Switch, and that one thing was an open world Mario game, so that's probably why I'm reacting so positively to that trailer.

1 hour ago, TheFinalEmblem said:

I can definitely say I'm gonna get a Switch, just not at release. All the games they showed that interested me, i.e. Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, and SMT V presumably, probably won't be out until 2018 or beyond. As for Breath of the Wild, I'll get that on Wii U at some point in time since I already have one.

I did the same thing with the Wii, I just bought Twillight Princess for the Game Cube :)

Unless Kart/Party is suddenly a release game (I doubt it), I won't buy it day one either.

1 hour ago, deepwater324 said:

Xenoblade takes place on the bodies of two dead giants. The main character lives on the leg of one of the giants and can see visions of the future. He goes out on a quest of revenge after beings from the other giant attack his village and murder his friend. From there, you travel all over the body of the giant as you make your way to the other giant.

That's the simple explanation, though there's a lot more to it than that. I'd love to talk about it more, but this probably isn't the place for it.

Thanks for the info, sounds weird and cool :) if you want to talk more about it, make a thread on it in the non-PlayStation forum and let me know. I'm making a Mario one on there as well :)

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/forum/848-consoles/

1 hour ago, MegaZeroXX said:

Haven't watched the live streaming. Has there been any news about backwards compatibility? Any chance the switch can play those games in the gamecube or N64?

No news and as the Switch is quite small with its own kind of cartridge, I would not count on backwards compatibility, especially concerning discs.

1 hour ago, Dan_WatsonAU said:

Perhaps it was me but graphically Zelda just didn't do it for me at all. Thats not to say it won't be a great game but it didn't wow me. 

Nothing from the reveal has me contemplating a pre order. 

In the Jimmy Fallon playing Zelda bit, I noticed quite a big empty spot of space in the game, didn't look good. I like the graphics in general though, it seems like the next evolution of the Wind Waker graphics.

1 hour ago, rpg49ers said:

Is Switch getting trophies/achievements??

No news on this but I'm guessing no. Would be fun if it had but it's not a dealbreaker for me personally.

P.S. I just watched the Mario trailer again now I'm a bit more awake. I already noticed the "New Donk City" pun but I now see that Diddy and Dixie also get namedropped ("Diddy's Mart" and "Dixy Street", the latter one both in Diddy's Mart advert as well as a street sign)... Could it be that there's also a new Donkey Kong game in the works?

Edited by BillyHorrible
New Donk City

I have not watched the whole conference yet but I was not that impressed by the first twenty minutes or so. 1,2 Switch looks like trash and ARMS... you serious? Not good enough really. 

I have pre-ordered in the meantime so I guarantee myself one for launch but I am able to cancel anytime. Gonna watch the rest of the conference later.

I really think Nintendo have missed a trick without including trophies/achievements. That would be a real bonus for me if they were included in Switch games. Need to see more of the Nintendo Switch Online Service as well. Free until the Fall and then have to pay. 

Edited by SolidJD

Overall I'm not really impressed by the line-up. Sure it's nice to see that some 3rd-games are coming to Switch but this was also true for the Wii U for the first one and a half years and after that the support declined. I'm surprised to see a new Super Bomberman, though.

And paid online with a "Retro Game Collection" as an incentive? Maybe it will work, maybe not. I for myself know that I wouldn't be willing to pay for an online service on the Nintendo-systems and old (S)NES-games aren't appealing either as long as the line-up stays the same as it was for the Wii (U).

There isn't enough launch titles coming out for the Switch for me to get it the day it releases. I'll likely get it by the end of the year or even into 2018 when more games for it come out. Might as well clean off the Wii U one last time before I decide to upgrade.

I'm getting launch day cuz of Bomberman and Zelda but yeah Nintendo could've definitely done better with games and pricing and paid online is always gonna suck, imagine unsuspecting parents buying Splatoon or Mario Kart only for their kids to found they can't even play online :hmm:

6 hours ago, rpg49ers said:

Is Switch getting trophies/achievements??

Nothing confirmed or deconfirmed so far so still unknown, I'm really hoping so because I really love achivements :D But it's not a huge deal if it doesn't, and if it does I'm guessing it's not a requirement for devs?

2 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

And paid online with a "Retro Game Collection" as an incentive? Maybe it will work, maybe not. I for myself know that I wouldn't be willing to pay for an online service on the Nintendo-systems and old (S)NES-games aren't appealing either as long as the line-up stays the same as it was for the Wii (U).

In my case it's more of a "not sure I'd be willing to pay for online at all" considering I barely play anything online (the exceptions are actually all Nintendo games - Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Splatoon) - I mostly do singleplayer. Out of all the things they could have taken from the other consoles, why this?

Edited by Zanreo

52 minutes ago, Greenshyguy said:

Judging from how well the Wii & Wii u have done (and how quick the inevitable price drops occured) .

I don't know about Australia, but here they still charge you about the same as back in 2012. Or at least they did - trying to back up my numbers I found most retailers don't even sell the system anymore.

6 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

... it seems like the next evolution of the Wind Waker graphics.

That is actually a selling point for me.

I will probably get the Switch, not day one or even year one, but eventually. I think the presentation was pretty good. Looks like they are going for the couch multiplayer, family gaming demo still, and truth be told no one else is really going after that demographic so good luck to them.

Issues I can see:

I think the controllers are too expensive for their demo.

Third party, third party, third party.

Paid online? I just don't know how this is going to go over with people.

2 hours ago, Greenshyguy said:

Judging from how well the Wii & Wii u have done (and how quick the inevitable price drops occured) ... I don't think this is worth picking up on day one.

You do realise the Wii sold really well but I agree the Wii U was a flop. The Switch should have come out in place of the Wii U. Nintendo are like 4 years late. 

Years ago I bought 2 high priced items

1-A robotic vacuum(neato robotics, awesome) 

2-A tablet 

My Neato is going strong with usefulness. 

The tablet is in the closet somewhere. 

Why? We have phones, and laptops. It was one of few purchases I really really regret. 

If the switch was phone size like the 3ds(which is what I was hoping for), I would get it at some point. All I see is a wii u with the gamepad on the console itself.

This may be Nintendos last couch console imo. (the 3ds etc will continue to dominate) 

This is my prediction. I said it today January 12th-14th.

If they allowed me to bet against Nintendos stock, I would(not all stocks can you bet against).  

The console looks good and seems like a nice addition for people who have a XB1 or PS4 as their main systems. I don't know if the Switch could be my only console but it does suit my gaming on the go and couch needs. The online subscription is predictable and I welcome it.

I'm gonna give the Nintendo Switch until 2018. Then I'll look into buying it.

Based on the Wii and WiiU that I purchased on release day that both ended up as doorstops 3 months later - I'm going to give it 12 months of being in people's hands before I give Nintendo anymore of my money.

Certain things are raising alarm bells - 32 gigs system storage - 2-6 hour charge life on the handheld - the fact that the controller peripherals need to be bought in two halves - the price etc.

This is the first Nintendo console i'll be exercising caution over buying. I don't think a 300+ dollar price should be handed over based on Mario Odyssey and Zelda by any means.

I'll be sticking with my PS4 and looking into VR tech before I adopt another console into my home. Definitely looking forward to seeing what Nintendo can do with the Switch though.