NX aka Nintendo switch revealed! (3rd party support revealed & backed by NVIDIA)

xZoneHunter

So some people here are complaining about paid online... Nintendo has never been about gaming online though, it's about playing offline together. Personally I know I won't ever play online on a Nintendo console. I hardly play online on my other consoles and mostly only when trophies are forcing me to. Nintendo, in my eyes, is for sitting in the same room with three others, playing Kart/Party/Smash together.

Honestly I don't care much about the gimmicks, maybe the motion controls would be fun looking at the game "Arms" but I have to try that first. But while Nintendo still tries motion controls Sony already has a VR.. Also gaming outside is something I'd never do, even my 3DS I only played at home.

Though the game lineup really interest me, we got some cool looking JRPGs and even a new Shin Megami Tensei among them, Suda51 announced a new game, the new Mario looked great and a new Zelda which was confirmed as launch title.

I will probably wait until christmas to buy one.

33 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

So some people here are complaining about paid online... Nintendo has never been about gaming online though, it's about playing offline together. Personally I know I won't ever play online on a Nintendo console. I hardly play online on my other consoles and mostly only when trophies are forcing me to. Nintendo, in my eyes, is for sitting in the same room with three others, playing Kart/Party/Smash together.

Think people are concerned that it sounds mandatory. No real clear picture on what the online service will entail. 

Like what if you cant use the Nintendo store or message friends on Switch unless you pay for it. Once more details are revealed it will clearer for everyone. 

5 minutes ago, SolidJD said:

Think people are concerned that it sounds mandatory. No real clear picture on what the online service will entail. 

Like what if you cant use the Nintendo store or message friends on Switch unless you pay for it. Once more details are revealed it will clearer for everyone. 

We'll have to wait and see, I guess. I doubt the store will be for paid users only though.

Interesting news, people who pay for the service will get a (S)NES game for free every month on the Virtual Console, though the exact wording does not make it clear if you can keep the games after that month.

20 minutes ago, FlareXV said:

Someone on NeoGAF posted that the online at launch with be limited to US, Mexico and Canada for the time being.

If that's true, welp!

The only countries that actually want online? :awesome:

Seems valid.

Okay, finally got around to reading all news. 

Well... that was kinda surprisingly bad :/ 300 bucks price is more than I thought.

Paid online is definitely a weird step from Ninty. Players definitely liked it more when Ninty did not go into online wars. It doesn't matter that you need to do it if your 'rivals' do it as well. 

Battery 3 hours on high resource games and 6 at max so... less than Vita. We did know about it from the leaks, but that's exactly why they could surprise us.

And the opening lineup... well... nothing unexpected and playing it very safe, that's probably the most exact description. It's going to depend on how new SMT and Xenoblade is going to end up.

41 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

We'll have to wait and see, I guess. I doubt the store will be for paid users only though.

Interesting news, people who pay for the service will get a (S)NES game for free every month on the Virtual Console, though the exact wording does not make it clear if you can keep the games after that month.

I saw an image that listed the features available to paid subscribers vs. non-subscribers and you don't have to pay to access the store. I'll try finding the image again.

C2BvkYRUAAIzxES.jpg

As for the free monthly game, the wording makes it confusing. I wouldn't mind actually getting classic NES or SNES games but losing access after a month and having to purchase the games to keep playing is a hilarious and terrible joke. Those games are 25-30 years old, have been sold on every console since, you have been forced to re-buy them multiple times because they don't carry over between consoles, hell they even made a retro mini-console to sell those games yet again, and they can't even give them to you as part of the online subscription without forcing you to pay for it after a month? That's ridiculous if true.

Another feature that isn't very clear is how the friends, chat, invites, and all that works. Maybe it's just the wording, but the articles I've read makes it sound like you have to use an app on a smart device to invite, chat, and do all of that. Not to mention it sounds like that app will only be free for a limited time and then will have to be paid for as well. Hopefully all of that isn't true and it's just bad wording or poor translation. Guess we'll find out before too long. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ddracarys said:

This is going to sell so poorly lmao.

Agreed, $400 before taxes in Canada.

You can get a PS4 Slim bundle for $330 CAD. 

The Switch isn't more powerful than the PS4,  but it costs more. Guess you eat that fee to take your console experience on the go on a tiny screen.

Meh. Nintendo just isn't for me now that I'm an adult.

Have fun spending $150 for an extra pair of controllers when Mario Kart / Mario Party releases, lmao.

Knowing Nintendo, I have no doubt the monthly games will be online-only. 

Never been a fan of Mario, Zelda or any Nintendo first-party IPs, so the only game I will ever get for this system is Xenoblade 2, and hopefully HD remasters of XCX and XC. And that's when the system price gets below $150. 

9 hours ago, Valyrious said:

The Switch isn't more powerful than the PS4,  but it costs more. Guess you eat that fee to take your console experience on the go on a tiny screen.

Have fun spending $150 for an extra pair of controllers when Mario Kart / Mario Party releases, lmao.

Over here it's €330, I agree that this is more than I had been counting on. With a new PS4 Pro on €400 and a new X1 on €250 (though still, the only games I can imagine getting for it are Rare Replay and Alan Wake, all of which I've played before), this is not a good thing for me.

It's probable that the whole idea of a console that can also be a handheld is expensive. I'm trying to do this now already with the PS4 and Vita but controlling PS4 games on the Vita is a joke and you need a power outlet all the time.

Note that I'm not trying to be sarcastic right now: have you been an adult for long? Because I've been one since halfway through the N64 and while I've noticed a change in my gaming tastes, Nintendo always had enough games for me to want to have their consoles (except for the WiiU). Great Wii or GameCube games (my opinion) that are not per se for kids: F-Zero GX, the Rogue Squadron titles, the Zelda series, the Metroid Prime series... And that's all exclusives! (Console exclusive in the case of the Rogue Squadron series)

Personally I kept enjoying Party/Kart/Smash (though only when playing with others) and the Mario series (when they're not doing "New" or "Maker") as well. Come to think of it, one of my favourite games for adults (no dirty joke intended) ever was a GameCube exclusive called Eternal Darkness.

Nintendo has the reputation of a kid friendly console maker but in my opinion they've always had loads of stuff for adults, and lots of the games in the (S)NES era were notoriously hard. Give Super Star Wars a try sometime (you can download it on PS4), it's one of my favourite games ever and I am the only one of my friends who could actually complete it back on the ANES, most people never got beyond the boss of the "Inside Sandcrawler" level.

I've read that a pair of controllers only costs €80, I'm also guessing/hoping that for Party/Kart/Smash you'll only need a half controller and not a full one so one extra pair should be enough.

10 hours ago, Valyrious said:

I was very interested until I saw the list of games releasing this year. They have like 4 games I'd want for the ENTIRE YEAR. I'm a diehard nintendo fan, but wtf? I'll wait a couple years.

51 minutes ago, deepwater324 said:

I was very interested until I saw the list of games releasing this year. They have like 4 games I'd want for the ENTIRE YEAR. I'm a diehard nintendo fan, but wtf? I'll wait a couple years.

Personally, the PS4 was the first time I bought a console within a year of release. Usually I wait a while but with the current generation the urge to continue on the Assassin's Creed series right away was too big. That's all it took for me really, one game being announced.

The Switch is the same, Super Mario Odyssey releasing in Q4 means I'll definitely get a Switch before the end of the year. If that game hadn't been there, It would have been easier for me to wait. Now the question of when I get it depends on a Mario Party announcement and my mood. Zelda is there right away and Kart follows soon after, me never getting a WiiU or playing with the one person I know who has one means Mario Kart 8 is new to me. So I might still get it right away and initially just keep to crushing my PlayStation backlog.

21 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Holy... and here I thought PS4 had a disappointing launch o.O

lsZ2VIy.jpg

I understand Nintendo fans are not going to care about PS4 lineup but... if Ninty actually wanted new players... well...

Not that I am the biggest fan of the Switch line-up but with a picture like that I feel obligated to defend the Switch...

That picture is also obviously made by someone who does not even care for the Switch. Battery life is not relevant for PS4 since you can't take it on the go, you'll need a Vita and a power outlet. And cow milking... Isn't PS4 called the PortStation by many? I don't even know what is meant by "ice cube tech"... Google searching just shows an ice cube maker.

To say nothing about the games "list"... Switch has only just been revealed and for March, so obviously PS4 has more games in Q1 - it has two more months in Q1! There are also much more Switch games announced but I guess the "obvious delays" bit allows them to skip everything. Q1: "1, 2, Switch", I Am Setsuna, Skylanders Imaginators, Super Bomberman R, Dragon Quest Heroes. Q2: Mario Kart 8, Rime, LEGO City Undercover, Sonic Mania. Q3: Skyrim. Q4: Fire Emblem Warriors.

Remember the PSVR launch a few months ago? There were a couple of games announced with release dates but most was "2016" or "TBA", the same goes for every console launch ever. We'll know much more in a month or so.

Now I'm not saying the line-up is awesome, especially for us who have a PS4 for the non-exclusives or a WiiU for the "remasters", but that picture is just focussing on the negative (and ignoring stuff just ao they can make a quick laugh). Like Nintendo players care for streaming or storage... The disc games won't go digital anyway with Nintendo. I understand that many people would have wanted things like that as well as free online, trophies/achievements, a normal controller... Which might be the reason why Nintendo players and Xbox/PlayStation players seem to be two separate entities.

With the Switch news, I'm getting the feeling that Nintendo does not want new players, but it does want its old fans back. Everything seems to be designed for the NES-Wii era of gamers, many of which never got a WiiU. So now we're finally getting a Zelda again, a non-linear Mario game, Wii-era party games... Everything is screaming "play offline, together" and for those who still want to game offline they're throwing in some (S)NES games as well. Online is free until October by the way, just so early adopters can try out the service.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Holy... and here I thought PS4 had a disappointing launch o.O

I understand Nintendo fans are not going to care about PS4 lineup but... if Ninty actually wanted new players... well...

But yea, it wins in Q4 :awesome: 

The graph isn't showing an accurate picture of the Switch's offerings in the coming months, I don't think we should use it.

While haters cry about the price or forcibly try to come up with negatives, others can concentrate on enjoying Switch-exclusive high quality games by Nintendo and third parties. 

The picture comparing Switch and PS4 is based on some serious misinformation or is just plain ignorance. 

It seems I'll be getting Switch at launch or in the summer when Splatoon 2 is released. Husbando just bought Zelda: Twilight Princess just for the amiibo to prepare for Zelda: Breath of the Wild (which looked fantastic in the trailer). :D

• Like 2

Pre-ordered and paid this off yesterday. 

Image result for Nintendo Switch Neon Bundle

In all honesty, I wasn't really impressed at all with the Switch presentation. I think the joycon controllers are ridiculously stupid and I think a hybrid portable and home console is a terrible idea which led to the team having to sacrifice power in order to have a decent battery life.

That being said, my son was watching the presentation and he seemed to love it. He asked if I was going to buy it, to which I said probably not, and I saw the look of disappointment on his face. So, come March 3rd, I'll have a Switch. :lol:

Breath of the Wild looks absolutely amazing though, as does Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and I think Super Mario Odyssey will be a great bit of fun as well. The launch lineup does look pretty terrible so far but that is true for most systems, hell, just look at the 3DS and how far it has come since launch. I'm willing to give the system a chance and I sincerely hope Nintendo has learned from their mistakes with the Wii and Wii U but we'll have to wait and see I suppose. 

Parker

I pretty much have always bought Nintendo mid-cycle. Well, everything until PS Vita and PS4, that is. At this point I've had a Wii-U for a little more than a year. I have bowled some, and played Pixel Junk Monsters for the umptheenth time. My 9 year old has enjoyed some other games, but most of the time that TV has the PS4 on playing Dark Souls this past year, not me, one my my teens. Poor Wii-U sits there.

I'm not in a hurry to get a Nintendo Switch, and don't really need one, my PS4, PS3, PS Vita, and 3DS keep me busy enough already, and the Wii-U sits there making me feel guilty, as does that Guitar Hero stuff for PS4, haven't played it, got it for Christmas 2015. Ouch.

Nintendo Switch is definitely not my kind of console, and I just hope they don't reduce services on Wii-U now, like they did on Wii after Wii-U was out.

Hmmm... I'm unsure...

I heard it will get a Pokemon game. That's good... I hope it's something like Colosseum or Gales of Darkness (GameCube). Wasn't a fan of PokePark (Wii) and Pokemon Tournament (Wii U)...

It would be okay for me that they are just PORTING Mario Kart 8 from Wii U to the Switch, when this so called "Deluxe Edition" is also including the DLCs the Wii U got. I'm not paying 8€ just for an (or were it two?) additional cup... I mean, wtf? Nintendo fanboys were like "8€ is okay, because on PlayStation you get for that price just some bikini collections..." I never paid 8€ for ANY DLC! And there is no reason to buy bikini collections... No trophies?! ...Also... the remastered tracks from older MarioKarts were a bit disappointing in that MK8 DLCs, as far I saw in Lets Plays...

My last 3D Mario was Sunshine, actually, because I skipped Wii and Wii U more or less, but Odyssey looks actually pretty interesting. I just don't know how to feel about that it's going to play in a "real life" City. I mean... meh?? Real Life is boring. Why else would I play games?! xD 

I prefer 2D Zeldas (Links Awakening, Link to the Past, Minish Cap, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, etc), but I liked Windwaker (GameCube), guess I would like Breath of the Wild too, but I seriously hope that this 3D-Openworld isn't going to ruin the experience... As far I heard you can, by theory, go whereever you want and do whatever you want, in an order you want. ...Dunno. But that's the exact reason why I don't like Minecraft. I don't want to have this "freedom" in a game. I want to get "guided" through it. I want that Level1 is Level1, and Level8 ist Level8. I want that enemies are strong because they are strong, and not because the game is like "Oh, you have the L3 sword and the mirror shield! I'm just adjusting the enemies a bit harder now... #FREEDOM" (Seriously. That's the same crap like that rubberbanding shit in racing games.) I seriously wonder how this is going to work out. In older Zelda games you always needed a specific item to advance. Which was good... But, dunno, they got rid of that in Pokemon too in the newest generation. Don't know how that worked out, because I havn't played it yet. But overall this HM "crap" was a good idea imo...

I don't care about Japanese games on Nintendo devices. Not going to support that. And they are more expensive on Nintendo too.

Overall I'm happy with Nintendo games, and I don't mind buying a console just for them. There are many people, me included, that have (or in my case had, because I sold it... money problems) a 3DS just because Pokemon.

I hope the Switch is, because of its hybrid-ness, going to replace the 3DS, so that I don't need a new one (again...). Don't forget, the 3DS is already six years old! ;) 

(...Meh, as far as I know myself I will end up buying a new New3DSXL anyway... And as far I know Nintendo they are fucking it up too and they will bring an additional device to replace the 3DS... And I guess it isn't backwards compatible with Wii U, because Nintendos current boss is a bussiness man. ...Normally I don't care about bc, but, ehh, we are talking about Nintendo! <_< )

PS: I need a new Pokemon-Trading-Buddy, for the still uncompleted childhood-mission "Complete the Pokedex!". I will pick the opposite Edition (XY, ORAS, SM) from that one you have.

Edited by Neputyunu