NX aka Nintendo switch revealed! (3rd party support revealed & backed by NVIDIA)

xZoneHunter

26 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

I hope you don't think I'm one of the haters! I consider myself to be pretty impartial. 

Don't worry. You not only state your personal opinion, but also give reasons for it. Something haters won't do. :P

I can understand your points. It's hard to judge whether the Switch will appeal to a larger audience than the Wii U did, no matter if those people are more the casual crowd or gamers. At least it seems like they have learned a bit in the marketing department as they dropped the Wii-brand and I don't remember the trailers completly but motion controls and the Happy Nintendo Family-feeling only played a minor role.

The thing with the hardware specs is hard to rate, though as I don't really know if it matters to most gamers or only the vocal minority that's active on dedicated gaming sites. Personally I don't really care for the technical department in most games but the main reason may be the fact that I mostly play games with a cartoonish look. For me it doesn't really matter if a game only runs in 720p or 1080p or (non-)native 4k. Sure, a better resolution or higher framerates are things a dev should care about it but the gameplay is still more important to me and as long as the game is playable it's fine for me. Most of the time at least. 

41 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

And then compare it to the competition - PS4 and XBOne are both more powerful, with a much wider (in terms of numbers) and broader (in terms of themes/experiences/target audiences) library of excellent games, and are both cheaper (in their vanilla and slim flavours at least) than the Switch. 

I think compared to the Wii U the Switch has a better chance of getting more third party-support as it's not as gimmicky. The Wii U had the problem that it was advertised with the Gamepad as the big highlight and somehow no one really knew how he could integrate a second screen in the games with a meaningful sense. There are only a couple of games which really benefit from it, one of them being the minigame-collection Nintendo Land. The Switch seems more simple. Yes, it has the possibilities of motion-based controls, and it has the possibility to play a game on the go but it just seems like add-ons, not the main feature. That just seems to be have fun playing your game and choose the option you like the most. Whether it's playing with your friends in some local multiplayer around the TV, with everyone looking on their own screen, or by online, or just play your games on your own, no matter where you are.

And additionally, it seems like devs can make a simple port of their games with standard controls without any worries on how they might integrate a second screen (hmm, an onscreen map or do we just turn it off?) or fidgety controls to do basic things like jumping or shooting as the controller only has six button and four of them can't be used when you hold it normally.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Neputyunu said:

I don't care that Nintendo has always the weakest hardware (except GameCube. It was the strongest in that generation, and people hated it still... ...I LOVED MUH CUUUUBE!!! D:)...

The original Xbox says hello. :P

Oh, and... has anyone noticed Final Fantasy XIII was in 576p (on XBox360)? I havn't, it looked great too. And as you can see, even though the XBox360 was considered to be stronger than the PS3, SquareEnix was able to run Final Fantasy XIII not just in 720p on PS3, but also with an a bit more stable framerate.

Actually, the PS3 was more powerful than the Xbox 360, it was just harder to develop for, and that's why a lot of third party games ended up looking better on Xbox. Just look at Uncharted 3 or The Last of Us and that destroys any game on the 360 graphically. I believe the PS3 was the lead platform for FFXIII which was the reverse for most third party games of that generation.

What I hate is... All that crap that makes Nintendo so special. I don't want a Wii Mote, I don't want Nun Chucks. I don't want that Wii U tablet. I don't want Joy Cons. I just want a normal controller...

You can play with a normal controller... for a price. http://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-switch-accessory/nintendo-switch-pro-controller/11396097.html

That's £20 more expensive than a PS4 controller. Why? Because Nintendo, that's why. :P

14 hours ago, Neputyunu said:

And? So what? What's the problem about that?

Well, one problem that immediately springs to mind is that it's going to make 3rd party ports less likely. PC, PS4 and XBO run on roughly similar architecture. As the bestselling platform, it's most likely that devs are creating the game in either a PC or a PS4 environment, then porting to XBO. 

Porting to Switch will take additional resources. The port job will have to include the creation of bespoke Switch assets and more in-depth optimisation. Some devs and publishers might take the view that their game isn't going to sell well enough on the Switch to allow them to make a return on that additional investment and to justify making a Switch version of the game. 

I agree with you - Nintendo makes games that look and play great, they really know how to develop their first party software for their system. The problem for Nintendo is that, as the WiiU has demonstrated, this is not enough on its own to have a successful console. 

2 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

That's £20 more expensive than a PS4 controller. Why? Because Nintendo, that's why. :P

They also have the wired "standard" controller for £28, just over half the price of a DS4. I don't know what makes the "pro" one more "pro" than this, just saying that the "pro" isn't the only option. 

On 17.1.2017 at 2:36 PM, BillyHorrible said:

Nah the stock plummeted (to somewhere still above where they were) the moment NIntendo came out and said something along the lines of " we like you buying our stock but you guys know we have nothing to do with Pok'emon Go, right?" . The stock als rose sharply when Super Mario Run was released, almost to the same level as before with Pok'emon Go (which was a record high). People are weird. Apparently Nintendo phone games cause a stir in stock land because normally they only release for their own console.

We might have a titled view of the (lack of) faith in Nintendo, nobody on this forum is an exclusive Nintendo gamer (though I was one for over a decade, SNES through Wii). The reactions I see on Nintendo and console-neutral forums are more positive. Still, most agree that the pricing and lack of games could be an issue, but it's less of an issue to many.

Exactly, seems like the only thing they want from Nintendo is mobile games... and even Mario Run was critizised because it wasn't the "type" of mobile game (F2P microtransaction hell, probably) they wanted.

As for me, I was an exclusive Nintendo gamer until a few years ago (got a PS2 in... 2013 (from a friend) for the exclusives I had missed out on, and PS3 later that year) and still am a huge fan so yeah, I admit I might be kinda biased here x3

Edited by Zanreo

5 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

You can play with a normal controller... for a price. http://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-switch-accessory/nintendo-switch-pro-controller/11396097.html

Probably because Nintendo hardware doesn't break down in normal use like Sony hardware does.

Had two PS2 controllers that completely stopped working for no reason (same for my friend) and my Vita's stick started acting up after just 8 months from purchase. Yet all my Nintendo products are functioning perfectly after several years of use even though I've sometimes accidentally dropped them. From personal experience Nintendo products are more value for their price. 

6 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

The original Xbox says hello. :P

*looks it up*

Well, I stumpled over my own "Nintendo is always the first one that is entering the 'Next Gen'" line... xD 

Actually, the PS3 was more powerful than the Xbox 360, it was just harder to develop for, and that's why a lot of third party games ended up looking better on Xbox. Just look at Uncharted 3 or The Last of Us and that destroys any game on the 360 graphically. I believe the PS3 was the lead platform for FFXIII which was the reverse for most third party games of that generation.

Yes and No.

The nVidia RSX GPU, the PS3 is using, is just there because Sony was afraid of the XBox360.

Sony planned at first that the Cell CPU should also do the graphics.

And that's why the PS3 was so expensive and had heat problems... The RSX wasn't planned.

And then you have details like...

The XBox360 has 512MB of memory (and 10MB eDRAM as frame puffer) with a bandwith of 22,4GB/s, the GPU can do 240GFLOPS, the CPU 77GFLOPS

The PS3 has 256MB memory with a bandwith of 25,6GB/s and the 256MB video memory 20,8GB/s. the GPU can do 192GFLOPS, the CPU 210GFLOPS

I know for myself that the Cell CPU would be something "big" (it can obviously outperform an Intel i7 965 XE and is on par with the GTX285... Which is interesting, because the RSX is based on a 7800GTX, which is 3 or 4 generations behind.) when devs would know how to use it, and that because of this the PS3 backwardscompatiblity on PS4 is (nearly) impossible, but, as said, I had a XBox360 too. There are some games I played on both plattforms (NFS Undercover eg) and I can tell you: In multiplattform games the XBox360 is doing WAY better. The reason, why FF13 was so good on PS3, is that it was console exclusive. PC got the FF13 triology just last year IIRC. Cell just hasn't worked out for Sony. They wanted to do something big, but nobody gave a fuck. Back then, the PS3 could have had fucked nearly every "Gamer PC", in theory (because, how many people with an i7 965 XE do you know? Probably none, because it was a 1000$ CPU, and the GTX285 was the strongest SingleGPU in 2009), but do you think anyone would care, or even notice it? Nah. Instead the "Console Peasants" and "PC Masterrace" got born in that generation. See? I guess that's also a reason why PS4 and XBox One are using x86_x64 AMD APUs. They don't want to risk anything and it's cheaper. How much was the PS3 back then? 600€? 700€?

I guess the problem we face here is simply that the PS3 wanted to score with pure CPU power, while other consoles and even the PC are going into GPU power. You can nowadays still play fine on a PC with eg a Phenom II X6 1090T, from 2010, because games don't need that much CPU performance. So, the PS3 was an enthusiastic try to do that what the PS4 and XBox One are doing. Using an iGPU.

It was ahead its time, and that is what the problem was. It tried to do something different than others are doing it. And, as we know, being different never works out...

having-an-opinion_fb_4063389.jpg

aOdeGm2_700b.jpg

thumbnail_849943d4sl0.jpg

thumbnail_ag0dw3n_4606ns1k.jpg

Exactly. I need to spend additional money to have a "normal" gaming experience. When I want to play games then I want to play games! When I want to do sports... well, I never want to do sports... :P 

30 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Probably because Nintendo hardware doesn't break down in normal use like Sony hardware does.

Had two PS2 controllers that completely stopped working for no reason (same for my friend) and my Vita's stick started acting up after just 8 months from purchase. Yet all my Nintendo products are functioning perfectly after several years of use even though I've sometimes accidentally dropped them. From personal experience Nintendo products are more value for their price. 

I dropped my Vita so often, because I'm always stumpling over the charger... Everything is still fine... (1000 series, with 3G)

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 1

I became sold on buying a Switch this past weekend, but preorder stock sold out in less than a week in the USA (it might have been a day for all I know, I wasn't following the availability until I was sure I wanted one). I should have learned from past experience that the only way to have Nintendo hardware at launch is to preorder day one... I could have always canceled the preorder while I considered if I really wanted it. 

I guess I'll be getting mine during the second release wave, whenever that is. In the meantime, I guess I should catch up on all the Wii and Wii U games I have had sitting on my shelf for months and years now. And no, I'm not trading in my Wii U even though Gamestop is giving pretty good trade value for it. I still play my PS3 and I expect my Wii U to be no different for the next few years, especially since I have a large backlog on it (I know, I know, the Wii U has no games just like Vita :) ). 

6 hours ago, StrickenBiged said:

They also have the wired "standard" controller for £28, just over half the price of a DS4. I don't know what makes the "pro" one more "pro" than this, just saying that the "pro" isn't the only option. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the controller you're talking about isn't made by Nintendo, but rather licensed by them. I guess Nintendo believe their name alone is reason enough for the mark up. All of the official accessories for the Switch are ridiculously overpriced.

3 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Eh, I've owned Sony products all of my life, including the PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, and Vita. I've never had a problem with any of them. I've also been using my PS4 controller regularly for two years now and it still works perfectly fine. My Vita has also seen a lot of use over the years too with no issues. I hear the stick problem is more common with the 2000 model. Understandable, since the whole purpose of the slim was to cut costs.

I find it hard to believe the Switch pro controller is going to be of much higher build quality than the DS4. Certainly not worth the kind of money you need to drop for one anyway. It will probably last longer, but I'd argue the reason for that is because you won't have any games to play on it, meaning it won't get much use. :P

3 hours ago, Neputyunu said:

Exactly. I need to spend additional money to have a "normal" gaming experience. When I want to play games then I want to play games! When I want to do sports... well, I never want to do sports... :P

A normal gaming experience? Are you telling me you don't want to play a game where you look into your opponents eyes instead of at the TV screen? :P Then you're going to love this game...

I mean is this even considered a video game!? A game, yes, but it's kinda missing the whole "video" part of what makes a video game. :P

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the controller you're talking about isn't made by Nintendo, but rather licensed by them. I guess Nintendo believe their name alone is reason enough for the mark up. All of the official accessories for the Switch are ridiculously overpriced.

You are quite right, it was manufactured by Hori under licence. I hadn't appreciated that. 

Weirdly, it has now disappeared from GAME (UK retailer) website, so maybe that one is having stock issues. 

9 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

A normal gaming experience? Are you telling me you don't want to play a game where you look into your opponents eyes instead of at the TV screen? :P Then you're going to love this game...

Spoiler

I mean is this even considered a video game!? A game, yes, but it's kinda missing the whole "video" part of what makes a video game. :P

What... the hell... was that?

Remided me more of the cringe worthy adverts for toys aimed at kids...

Spoiler

Except, y'know, filled with grown men and women playing dress up.

Nintendo... I don't think we can be friends anymore. :'(

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

What... the hell... was that?

Remided me more of the cringe worthy adverts for toys aimed at kids...

Reveal hidden contents

Except, y'know, filled with grown men and women playing dress up.

Nintendo... I don't think we can be friends anymore. :'(

Haha, that's exactly it! :lol: Nintendo is the king of cringe. That game was advertised as a kind of icebreaker. Something you would bring along to parties. I'm preeeetty sure if you whipped this thing out at a party, you wouldn't be invited anymore... :P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Haha, that's exactly it! :lol: Nintendo is the king of cringe. That game was advertised as a kind of icebreaker. Something you would bring along to parties. I'm preeeetty sure if you whipped this thing out at a party, you wouldn't be invited anymore... :P

Well, you're going to the wrong parties then.

Seriously though, Nintendo is promoting the portability a bit much but they kind of have to since it's so new for a console. Every standard party might be much but I've done gaming marathons with others many times before (N64, GC and Wii mostly) and I know a group of guys who have every birthday party devolve into playing a fifa competition on the PS3.

13 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Well, you're going to the wrong parties then.

Seriously though, Nintendo is promoting the portability a bit much but they kind of have to since it's so new for a console. Every standard party might be much but I've done gaming marathons with others many times before (N64, GC and Wii mostly) and I know a group of guys who have every birthday party devolve into playing a fifa competition on the PS3.

Most of my parties either end with video games, cards, and/or board games. But, I am in my thirties and I do not really care what people think, so that helps.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hugglebunn-e said:

Most of my parties either end with video games, cards, and/or board games. But, I am in my thirties and I do not really care what people think, so that helps.

Honestly, it's how you know you're doing it right; when your parties get planned because people want to play some video or tabletop games together. Other parties aren't half as interesting to me.

One of the Star Wars RPG groups I'm running for over a year now is just friends of my wife who wanted to get together more often, never played any tabletop RPG before and save for one don't care that much for Star Wars either.

It's why I know I'll get another full Switch controller pretty soon after getting the Switch; as soon as Mario Kart is out, I've already got people on the waiting list to come over and play games for a day (that's IF I get the Switch right away but odds are getting bigger and bigger by the day). It's also why I'm hoping we'll get a Mario Party and a Smash Bros soon. Doesn't even matter to me if we start with a Virtual Console version of Mario Party 2 (which was available on Wii and WiiU), it's just more to play together.

Edited by BillyHorrible
added on topic stuff
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Honestly, it's how you know you're doing it right; when your parties get planned because people want to play some video or tabletop games together. Other parties aren't half as interesting to me.

One of the Star Wars RPG groups I'm running for over a year now is just friends of my wife who wanted to get together more often, never played any tabletop RPG before and save for one don't care that much for Star Wars either.

Agreed. It takes some planning though to have a party that involves gaming of any sort, or you run the risk of half a dozen people not participating and just watching everyone else. At the same time things have to feel kind of organic. For our last get together there were about fourteen adults with eight kids. One of my sons started a little impromptu Golden Eye marathon while my other son broke out some dominoes. At first mainly kids were playing Golden Eye, while mainly adults were playing dominoes. Adults were having drinks. Eventually the adults played Cards Against Humanity (which I do not really like, but it usually serves as a good ice breaker). And, then you can kind of break into smaller groups for games like Ticket to Ride, Smallworld, Zombicide or whatever. People could shift from boards games to playing a Golden Eye match in between rounds. I think it is fun, and most people seem to enjoy the format.

My wife, who has never really played games much, is even thinking about having a monthly ladies game night for her and her friends. 

But, time to get back on topic. Right now I am planning on picking up the Switch, not at launch, but at some point. The price tag is just too much for me to jump in on day one, especially with the accessories. I hope that the Switch is successful, if for no other reason than I think Nintendo brings some interesting ideas to the industry, some are good and some are bad, but it would be a shame for Nintendo's take to no longer be present.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2017 at 6:44 PM, Undead Wolf said:

Eh, I've owned Sony products all of my life, including the PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, and Vita. I've never had a problem with any of them. I've also been using my PS4 controller regularly for two years now and it still works perfectly fine. My Vita has also seen a lot of use over the years too with no issues. I hear the stick problem is more common with the 2000 model. Understandable, since the whole purpose of the slim was to cut costs.

I find it hard to believe the Switch pro controller is going to be of much higher build quality than the DS4. Certainly not worth the kind of money you need to drop for one anyway. It will probably last longer, but I'd argue the reason for that is because you won't have any games to play on it, meaning it won't get much use. :P

Good for you that you haven't had to endure poor Sony hardware. I wish I had been as lucky as you. 

I thought that "no games meme" was already reserved for Vita, heh. ;)

3 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

You aren't partying alone with waifus? :awesome:

Of course, but waifus deserve your full attention. There's no time for gaming. :P

2 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Good for you that you haven't had to endure poor Sony hardware. I wish I had been as lucky as you. 

I thought that "no games meme" was already reserved for Vita, heh. ;)

Oh yeah, the "no games meme" is reserved for Vita of course, but unlike Switch, there are actually tons of games on that system. For Switch, it's less of a meme and more of a cold hard reality. :P But hey, you've got Zelda! There's Zelda, guys! :giggle:

EDIT: I think this video sums up my thoughts on the Switch pretty well.

Edited by Undead Wolf

2 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Oh yeah, the "no games meme" is reserved for Vita of course, but unlike Switch, there are actually tons of games on that system. For Switch, it's less of a meme and more of a cold hard reality. :P But hey, you've got Zelda! There's Zelda, guys! :giggle:

No offense, but even you must realize Switch isn't out on the market yet... Vita has several years of market life behind it. Trolls gonna troll, I guess. :popcorn:

8 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

No offense, but even you must realize Switch isn't out on the market yet... Vita has several years of market life behind it. Trolls gonna troll, I guess. :popcorn:

Even Vita's launch lineup/launch window looked better than this. There were plenty of games coming to the system in its early life as well. It's only later when support in the west started to drop. All I'm saying is that it isn't looking good for the Switch.

Edited by Undead Wolf

16 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Even Vita's launch lineup/launch window looked better than this. There were plenty of games coming to the system in its early life as well. It's only later when support in the west started to drop. All I'm saying is that it isn't looking good for the Switch.

If in the first year the Switch can reveal some big new games to keep people excited it will most likely sell-well. But seeing as how it's launch games are basically a hyped up Zelda and re-releases. I agree with you in saying that it isn't looking good for the Switch, or just Nintendo in general.

11 minutes ago, PlAtInUm_UnLoCk said:

If in the first year the Switch can reveal some big new games to keep people excited it will most likely sell-well. But seeing as how it's launch games are basically a hyped up Zelda and re-releases. I agree with you in saying that it isn't looking good for the Switch, or just Nintendo in general.

If Nintendo has some big reveals under its sleeve, that conference was the time announce them. I mean the console is less than two months away from launch. Most of the games people are excited for are so far out. Where are the year one games to look forward to? One Mario game isn't good enough. This just leads me to believe the Switch is coming out too early. The games just aren't ready. Anything they announce now will mostly likely be 2018 or later games. Unless you're a huge Nintendo fanboy, there's almost no reason to purchase this thing on day one, especially if you already own a Wii U.

5 hours ago, hugglebunn-e said:

Sorry for the double post.

CMVDUzA.jpg

Binding of Isaac will apparently be a retail launch title.

I knew it was a launch title but hadn't realised it would be retail... Should've seen that coming I guess. Anyways not my kind of game (I think... I have it from PS+ so I think I'll give it a try if the rest of my backlog is gone).

32 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

If Nintendo has some big reveals under its sleeve, that conference was the time announce them. I mean the console is less than two months away from launch. Most of the games people are excited for are so far out. Where are the year one games to look forward to? One Mario game isn't good enough. This just leads me to believe the Switch is coming out too early. The games just aren't ready. Anything they announce now will mostly likely be 2018 or later games. Unless you're a huge Nintendo fanboy, there's almost no reason to purchase this thing on day one, especially if you already own a Wii U.

Thanks to the PS4 game station and the X1 media center put together, the reason to go Switch is already only if you're a Nintendo fan, and that's a Nintendo fan speaking. With both PS4 and X1 being able to handle better graphics, those are the game consoles unless you're going "fuck you lot, I just want Zelda and Mario and all that Nintendo goodness".

It's why this thread is not working between the yessers and no-ers, really. Those not into it complain about lack of games and an expensive second controller, while those into it (on this site) have a PS3 or PS4 to play next to the Switch and just want a few cool Nintendo games and couch multiplayer weekends to add to their gaming, and they see that that one extra controller ensures you can play many games with four people.

Also, with Wii and WiiU breaking the trend, all other Nintendo consoles always had just a bare few launch titles. Nintendo is just Nintendo, doin' their thang.

Edit: also, Nintendo never shows their whole hand in one event, there are a few aces left. Since the event, Snipperclips has been announced for March and a Fire Emblem game for 2018. Rumours are that there'll be at least a Mario Party or a Smash Bros before the end of the year as well, and that the Virtual Console will be insta-filled this time around.

Edited by BillyHorrible