NX aka Nintendo switch revealed! (3rd party support revealed & backed by NVIDIA)

xZoneHunter

I'm hoping the core console doesn't suffer for the sake of the "On the go" aspects. I'm not much of a gamer outside of the home so that part of it doesn't appeal to me as much. Looks neat so far for those who are interested in that sorta thing, though. F-Zero or riot! 

Apparently the core console part is strong enough for 1080p gaming so if true, I doubt the core console part will suffer that much.

I sincerely hope that games don't end up being dumbed down for PS4 and Xbone just so they can run on the Switch

I'll be fuming

It didn't happen with the Wii U so I doubt it will happen with the Switch. What will probably happen, again, is the Switch (what a god awful name, what the hell is Nintendo thinking with these system names?) will get dumbed down versions of PS4/Xbone games and they won't sell well on the system so there will be no more third party support for the system. If I recall correctly, the Wii U had a lot of developers on board when it first launched but that support didn't last too long after launch. 

If the system isn't as powerful as the base PS4 or Xbone, I don't see many third party developers continuing to develop for the system and we will end up with another Wii U, a potentially great system help back by low power, a gimmick and no third party games. I'll still probably get one for the Nintendo exclusives (I can definitely see a Pokemon game on this system) but I really hope that there is more to the system than the gimmick from the reveal trailer. 

Parker

• Like 3

I sincerely hope that games don't end up being dumbed down for PS4 and Xbone just so they can run on the Switch

I'll be fuming

You ain't going to be having a good time when Scorpio comes out, the original PS4 and XB1 will be hampering the visuals of PRO and Scorpio.

Edited by FlareXV

For the 1st time in years, Nintendo has impressed me. They managed to combine portable with home console in a single piece of hardware and the controlers can be used in at least 3-4 different ways. If it has a solid list of games, a good costumer service and a reasonable price (I am skeptical about this), it may very well outrun PS4 Pro and XBox Scorpio if Sony and Microsoft dont think of new ways to innovate their own consoles.

• Like 3

Great trailer, but once again Nintendo have nothing unique to offer other than a gimmick and Nintendo franchises.

As a console, that tiny thing is not going to be as powerful as a dedicated console. So it isn't going to win there. 

As a handheld... well, handhelds haven't been doing that well lately. Didn't they know? Consumers that want to game are happy with their mobile gaming.

Unless they can put this at a very competitive price point, I predict another flop for the company. 

Nintendo has always been number1 with handholds, but a lot has changed with the smart phones. I get the idea and I think it would be awesome if sony could have done this with the vita, but without the use of Internet.

Honestly, I give it 50% chance. If the price is good, than some parents will probably switch the 3ds systems for this...or not. Like I said, good idea but we will have to wait and see. Hopefully they don't grab to many exclusives. Bayonetta 2 anyone...

Consumers that want to game are happy with their mobile gaming.

Absolutely disagree.  The casual consumer that bought a DS for Brain Age and Sudoku might have moved on to mobile, but Nintendo still has sold nearly 60 million 3DS's world wide and most experiences you can have on your phone are nowhere near as satisfying or as deep as those offered by games like Link Between Worlds and Fire Emblem: Awakening.  I agree that handhelds have lost consumers to mobile, but I do believe there is still a market out there.  If Nintendo can capture this market as well as the console buyers that still love their first party titles, I could see Switch (I don't hate the name - much better than WiiU) being pretty successful.

• Like 1

My only interest in this would be as a portable device, and even then I think I still prefer the 3DS because the 3D "gimmick" is something I really enjoy. If they want me to get on board they do need to embrace some modern gaming features, notably achievements  xD

I hardly use my Wii U, even with the gamepad as a remote device. The appeal has been lost on me over the years.

• Like 1

I get the idea and I think it would be awesome if sony could have done this with the vita, but without the use of Internet.

Apparently they almost did. Early dev kits of Vita consoles apparently have an HDMI port under that mysterious bit on the Vita that looks like it should open, but doesn't on the consumer models. 

Absolutely disagree.  The casual consumer that bought a DS for Brain Age and Sudoku might have moved on to mobile, but Nintendo still has sold nearly 60 million 3DS's world wide and most experiences you can have on your phone are nowhere near as satisfying or as deep as those offered by games like Link Between Worlds and Fire Emblem: Awakening.  I agree that handhelds have lost consumers to mobile, but I do believe there is still a market out there.  If Nintendo can capture this market as well as the console buyers that still love their first party titles, I could see Switch (I don't hate the name - much better than WiiU) being pretty successful.

I agree the quality of the game is better on dedicated portable devices, but the trend in recent years has been firmly towards mobile. 60 million 3DS's is (IIRC) a figure for all models. The latest 3DS models have not been selling as well since mobile devices caught up with handhelds in terms of power and graphical capability.

People want slimmer and fewer devices. Ask the mass market consumer whether they want to play games on the move and they will probably tell you that they already do - on mobile. Further, the games that are most successful on mobile (i.e. where most people are already actually playing games on the go) are all games that favour shorter, more numerous play sessions. I.e. not deep and "satisfying" (in the same way). 

I hope you're wrong, because I would love to see a Vita 2, but all the market trends are towards mobile being the place where people prefer to play games while they're on the go. 

If there's one good thing coming out of this, it's that all consoles might be capable of running the same games without any significant downgrades or gameplay built around things like motion or multiple screens. We might finally start getting Monster Hunter and other such titles on Playstation, as long as the Switch's Japanese sales don't shoot too far ahead.

• Like 1

NX Reveal, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Logan, RDR2 all gets trailers in the span of like 20 hours and I don't know if my heart can bear more of it lol.
It looks cool, Im worried about the battery life since the Wii U Gamepad was horrid. However its rumoured to last 3-4 hours.  Also sounds like it is a little weaker then Xbox One which honestly is fine as long as developers like it. Awesome reveal though, it looks good overall, don't like Switch all that much but the logo is dope.

Also the spreadsheet don't mean a lot, ofcourse they're going to support it. Lets just hope it sticks in the long run.
When Smash 5 or Smash 4 Ultimate Edition gets announced Im probably getting it, (With 3D Mario and the new Mario Kart) Until then, we'll see :P

Edited by MarsipanRumpan
  • Like 1

I agree the quality of the game is better on dedicated portable devices, but the trend in recent years has been firmly towards mobile. 60 million 3DS's is (IIRC) a figure for all models. The latest 3DS models have not been selling as well since mobile devices caught up with handhelds in terms of power and graphical capability.

People want slimmer and fewer devices. Ask the mass market consumer whether they want to play games on the move and they will probably tell you that they already do - on mobile. Further, the games that are most successful on mobile (i.e. where most people are already actually playing games on the go) are all games that favour shorter, more numerous play sessions. I.e. not deep and "satisfying" (in the same way). 

I hope you're wrong, because I would love to see a Vita 2, but all the market trends are towards mobile being the place where people prefer to play games while they're on the go. 

I'm not disagreeing with you that the mass market plays games on phones and tablets, but the question is what percentage of the mass market would have purchased a Nintendo or Sony handheld but didn't because they were happy with their mobile device and what percentage would have never purchased a dedicated handheld anyway?  I would like to think that there are enough people out there that want to play a fully fleshed out Pokemon or a 3D Zelda on the go that there is room in the market for both, but I'm not discounting that my opinion may be colored by my personal feelings on the matter.

What better way to show off a new console than showing old games running on it? Such innovation.

This was actually one of the key things in the presentation for me, showing that they can easily port over games from the PC/ other consoles. Despite being old, those games were not likely to hit a nintendo console in any way because of how different it was to code for a Wii U. If Nintendo can show that it can easily port over PC games, then the system can always be relevant because it can easily grows its library.

• Like 3

I'm not disagreeing with you that the mass market plays games on phones and tablets, but the question is what percentage of the mass market would have purchased a Nintendo or Sony handheld but didn't because they were happy with their mobile device and what percentage would have never purchased a dedicated handheld anyway?

That's not quite the right question.

I think the right question is "what proportion of people want to lug around another device when they already have a mobile device in their pocket which provides a gaming experience which is adequate for their needs/wants while on the go?" My guess is that this number is very, very small. 

My wager would be that the vast majority of handheld console use is actually done at home these days, but I don't have any market data to back that up. I can't remember the last time I saw a handheld console in public, and I usually spot these things. 

Then, as a home console, it doesn't look up to the standards of PS4 or XBOne, so it has that disadvantage right out of the gate (I'll wait for tech specs though). 

My first impression is that it looks like it's trying to be a jack of all trades, but will end up mastering none. 

Edit: Clarification. 

Edited by StrickenBiged

Looks interesting but I don't think it's going to catch on like Nintendo thinks it's going to catch on.

Or: it will, then Sony and Microsoft will tried to ride coattails on the same sort idea, half-ass it, then after 6 years Nintendo says "This was dumb' and abandon it completely.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1