NX aka Nintendo switch revealed! (3rd party support revealed & backed by NVIDIA)

xZoneHunter

Eh. I passed on the Wii U, and regret nothing except not playing XCX. Unless the Switch is *very* competitively priced and can offer me third party support and several good adventure games and RPGs (and an achievement/trophy system would be nice), I'm not sold. It doesn't appear to have any ability to play DVDs/Blu-Rays either, which would have been cool for a portable system.

Portable Skyrim certainly isn't a good enough reason to bite. It's a five year old game and it's unlikely Nintendo will be allowing mods.

I'm not trying to put it down, honestly, I'm just leery after the Wii U. Definitely wait-and-see from me.

If I recall correctly, the Wii U had a lot of developers on board when it first launched but that support didn't last too long after launch. 

^ Well said. In addition to the above Nintendo 1st party offering wasn't that great at all during the Wii u lifetime let alone 3rd party support. If its going to be here in less than 6 months they better be showing off nonstop game footage from here to March if they want to start generating interest amongst those of us that aren't diehards. 

So we bascially get a Wii U with better support from other developers, but it doesn't play Wii games and most of the upcoming Nintendo Games we already own but can't use because it uses cartridges? I was really hoping they'd have a better idea than making Wii U into a handheld :(

It had Splatoon on it, so there is some backwards compatibility to it, just not conventional backwards compatibility

Nintendo Switch looks stylish and it's a nice concept! Now introduce some more color variations and we're talking. 

What worries me though is the durability of the hardware with the detachable parts. What happens over time if you switch the parts often? Or if you're squeezing the controller/portable in the heat of an intense gaming session? What if you drop the portable/controller?

Will it have motion controls? Touch screen?

I would like to know if you need to buy several "complete packages" of Switch if you want several portable Switch consoles in the same household. Will they offer different bundles of their product (full home console version / portable only version)? I'm not sure why a family of 4 people would need 4 home console docking stations if they just want successors for their Nintendo 3DSs. Why would consumers who mostly play 3DS or Vita pay $400 for Switch if they have paid $200 for their previous portable consoles in case they'd be forced to buy the full package? Or will Nintendo announce a new portable console later?

I am honestly excited for this and that might be the first time I've said that about a Nintendo console in 20 years.

I like the fact that they've managed to work in a new gimmick without forcing the gimmick down my throat like the Wii and the Wii U did.

Now that I can just plug it into my TV and play it normally with a normal controller and without any cheesy gimmicks, that's all I really care about. Now my system choice really is going to come down to exclusives and like it or not, Nintendo always wins that race.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 3

Wow finally they nailed it. Something similar to the Vita but better. Not bad nintendo. But what worries me is its gimmick. Honestly theres gonna be people saying that they dont like this kind of stuff and would rather stick to the basic console way not "this".

Now to see what specs they have and I might be sold in to this..

I am honestly excited for this and that might be the first time I've said that about a Nintendo console in 20 years.

I like the fact that they've managed to work in a new gimmick without forcing the gimmick down my throat like the Wii and the Wii U did.

Now that I can just plug it into my TV and play it normally without any cheesy gimmicks, that's all I really care about. Now my system choice really is going to come down to exclusives and like it or not, Nintendo always wins that race.

Have fun with unimaginative Zelda and Mario games for the next 30 years.

• Like 2

Have fun with unimaginative Zelda and Mario games for the next 30 years.

I am fine with that. I'll take the same Zelda game a thousand times, over the carbon copy linear shooters and generic "adventure" games that Xbox and Sony keep shoveling out =)

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 4

Maybe I'll buy it in a few years when the revised model comes out. The Lite Switch. :giggle:

This was actually one of the key things in the presentation for me, showing that they can easily port over games from the PC/ other consoles. Despite being old, those games were not likely to hit a nintendo console in any way because of how different it was to code for a Wii U. If Nintendo can show that it can easily port over PC games, then the system can always be relevant because it can easily grows its library.

They showed off Skyrim in the trailer. That game is almost five years old. You'd better hope your new console could run a five year old game. That's not impressive. We still don't know the specs on this thing, but I can pretty much guarantee it won't be as powerful as the PS4 or Xbone. Like it or not, but this makes it hard to port games over. It's easy for games to be on both the PS4 and Xbone because they are similar in terms of power. And then there's the fact that Sony and Microsoft are bringing out even more powerful consoles, and yet again, Nintendo will be left in the dust. You'll likely see some third party support in the start with some less impressive looking versions of games then what's on the other consoles, but like Wii U, I'm sure that will dry up sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

I am fine with that. I'll take the same Zelda game a thousand times, over the carbon copy linear shooters and "adventure" games that Xbox and Sony keep shoveling out =)

If you're alright with an oxymoron, that is completely your initiative and I am genuinely happy that you will finally be satisfied with gaming.

If you're alright with an oxymoron, that is completely your initiative and I am genuinely happy that you will finally be satisfied with gaming.

I'm always satisfied with gaming but I have a great PC which means I'll still be able to play 90% of games that come out. But at the end of the day if someone says "you have to choose between Zelda or Uncharted" it's gonna be Zelda, no questions asked. I can find linear third person shooters to replace Uncharted every where but there's nothing to replace a Mario or a Zelda.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 1

If they announce another Luigi's Mansion title Nintendo can have my money. That would be my primary reason for buying the Switch. Well that and Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros and the new Mario title has me interested. I'd only buy the Switch for Nintendo exclusive games anyway since I have my PS4 and PC!

Edited by HeavensLightfire

I'm not really interested unless it can get some rpg support, all the marios and zeldas have felt the exact same for a long time now, the ones that tried to be different like mario and luigi got stifled by miyamoto for not having recognizable characters

I'm not sure what to expect from it's library.  For RPG's, the Wii U has Xenoblade Chronicles X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions...and not much else; but the 3DS' RPG library is incredible.  If Nintendo is only making one system going forward, will all of the companies currently making games for the 3DS make those same types of experiences for the Switch? It is a fascinating question and will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

On a side note - did you play Link Between Worlds?  One of my favorite Zelda games in years and it did some really unique things.

I'm not sure what to expect from it's library.  For RPG's, the Wii U has Xenoblade Chronicles X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions...and not much else; but the 3DS' RPG library is incredible.  If Nintendo is only making one system going forward, will all of the companies currently making games for the 3DS make those same types of experiences for the Switch? It is a fascinating question and will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

On a side note - did you play Link Between Worlds?  One of my favorite Zelda games in years and it did some really unique things.

No, the last one I played was twilight princess and I had enough of the series by then. Not sure what this will do to the 3ds userbase when the switch is technically a handheld too

>Switch

And here I thought nothing could beat NEW 3DS in naming...

Sasuga Nintendo.

Anyway. This... actually looks interesting. Concept-wise.

I still like the concept of handheld + console (actually + portable console?). Not to mention powered by NVIDIA.

Nintendo even finally realized there's something like 3rd party developers. The list is pretty awesome.

But... 

No matter how you look at it, it's HUGE for a handheld. Like, seriously HUGE. I'm really not sure anyone would pick this with them instead of taking tablet or small notebook... It's definitely at least 7 inches, maybe even 8?

The actual switch. That's going to break so early. Making controllers out of sides is a great idea, but... I don't think they wouldn't wear soon after excessive use. Especially considering you need to remove them and put them back everytime you want to change mode.

And screw the Xbox controller.

All in all, I'm actually pleasantly surprised. This could actually be something Nintendo did right. Now if only this didn't become another ZeldaMario machine.

• Like 3