NX aka Nintendo switch revealed! (3rd party support revealed & backed by NVIDIA)

xZoneHunter

No, the last one I played was twilight princess and I had enough of the series by then. Not sure what this will do to the 3ds userbase when the switch is technically a handheld too

When it was first speculated that Nintendo was making a console/handheld hybrid, rumors were that the 3DS would be discontinued and Nintendo would no longer produce a dedicated handheld.  While it is subjective, many would agree that Nintendo has been fine in the quality department but has lacked quantity since the days of the SNES.  If companies putting out 3DS games migrate over to the Swtich, that could definitely boost the system's library.

I was so little interested in this at first that I didn't even know the reveal was today (:P) but I'm pleasantly suprised with what I saw in this trailer. Sure, it might look a bit like a gimmick but I think it'll have potential. I just want Nintendo to finally release a proper Animal Crossing game again, then I'm sold.

In it's case, my Vita isn't pocket-able either (though it is incredibly well protected).

41HIJIIJcLL._AC_US160_.jpg

Depends on your pocket. I have (size-wise) similar case and I can, albeit really tightly, fit it into my pocket =D

Repost :awesome:

>Switch

And here I thought nothing could beat NEW 3DS in naming...

Sasuga Nintendo.

Anyway. This... actually looks interesting. Concept-wise.

I still like the concept of handheld + console (actually + portable console?). Not to mention powered by NVIDIA.

Nintendo even finally realized there's something like 3rd party developers. The list is pretty awesome.

But... 

No matter how you look at it, it's HUGE for a handheld. Like, seriously HUGE. I'm really not sure anyone would pick this with them instead of taking tablet or small notebook... It's definitely at least 7 inches, maybe even 8?

The actual switch. That's going to break so early. Making controllers out of sides is a great idea, but... I don't think they wouldn't wear soon after excessive use. Especially considering you need to remove them and put them back everytime you want to change mode.

And screw the Xbox controller.

All in all, I'm actually pleasantly surprised. This could actually be something Nintendo did right. Now if only this didn't become another ZeldaMario machine.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Storage format? Storage size? Cartridge max size (so we can have an idea how limited will be the software)? Battery duration? Features? Region Lock? No?

>b-but custom NVIDIA processor

no one cares, lol

Edited by RemiXound

Storage format? Storage size? Cartridge max size (so we can have an idea how limited will be the software)? Battery duration? Features? Region Lock? No?

>b-but custom NVIDIA processor

no one cares, lol

It will likely be Region locked knowing Nintendo but maybe they'll surprise everyone and be generous

MMmmmmm MEH?

Wow Already Nintendo NX wasn't great as name but good this one ugh.

Anyway Neat idea i suppose but honestly How many of this people in the video in the real world will do this? Yeah i'm totally sure a Woman si playing Mario and egtting called to friends for a party in the roofs take the Console and everybodies playing togheter happily, as if....

Despite that for the entire Vidoe i think "And so???" Honestly if i want to go around i have my Vita that i found Much better and at home my Ps4, Nowadays you cna save anyway whenever you want in most of the games or just "Turn off" without Having to close the game itslef so i don't feel the need to continue on another console if i have to go out.

Plus i hope for them Techinically speaking is at leats Up to Vita as Specs because it was Ridicolous that the WII U was Almost powerful as Ps3 With Ps4 Out just some months ago after that.

And honestly i see always the same things, Mario, zelda, Splatoon (that doesn't have any update or almost since a year) the new stuff Wow Skyrym and NBA2K Wait that i turn on my Ps3 here on My side to play them, Oh wait how many years is that they are out and Foundable for few? Oh and you're telling me a new Remaster for skyrym will be out on Ps4 soon? And i could play it with remote play on Vita if i want on protable console? Wow -_-

Talking for me as i wasn't interested in 3DS (I'm Jealous of 3-4 Games and are all Phoenix Wrights and Layton that's it) i'm totally not interested in this.

I don't play handhelds like I used to since I'm usually driving if I'm going anywhere and if I'm home, I'd rather play on a console. However, if I did play handhelds more, this would definitely be a day one buy for me. I think they've really got something pretty neat here, especially if the price tag is reasonable.

My only thought (with no research prior to thinking) is about what will be the fate of the DS lineage? I'm not sure that they'd be able to make enough titles exclusive for it to keep it alive. It'll be interesting to see how they grow as a company after this.

Still more excited for the NES emulator with HDMI ports  <3  <3

Colour me impressed. The Wii and Wii U were gimmicky duds, but the Switch looks like a solid strategic move.

Nintendo has differentiated themselves from MS and Sony and focused on their core strengths of gameplay over graphics. It won't be the most powerful console on the market, but it doesn't need to be.

They've also filled the void for HD mobile gaming left by the Vita. The Vita's screen was always too small for my eyes, whereas I can handle the 3DS no problems. Vita was also uncomfortable to use.

Esports though? Lulz...

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Hmmmm... This is a pretty bold move by Nintendo. Their handhelds have outsold their home consoles by a large margin so they've decided to combine the two. I see it being more popular with the western handheld crowd than the eastern handheld crowd because of the size. I don't see the system selling well to casual handheld gamers because the price of the console will likely be too high. I don't see them keeping the 3rd party developers very long because I have doubts that the console will be more powerful than its current-gen (last gen technically since the Wii U is Nintendo's 8th generation home console) competitors. I don't see them making the console region free.

If this ends up flopping like the Wii U (which has sold about as many units as the Vita) and they don't release a complimentary handheld only gaming console (Nintendo SwitchBack maybe?), then I would hope that Nintendo follows Sega's lead and becomes a third party developer.

• Like 1

I don't know about anyone else, but this looks really uncomfortable...

X1UDL3Cl.jpg

Not only is it tiny and likely to cause cramps very easily, it also has very few buttons. I mean that was okay in the NES days when games were far less complicated, but how are you going to control anything with that thing in modern games? :blink:

I get that you can use the pro controller too, but I don't see how the Joy-Con (another awful name btw) will be useful at all outside of the most basic games.

If this ends up flopping like the Wii U (which has sold about as many units as the Vita) and they don't release a complimentary handheld only gaming console (Nintendo SwitchBack maybe?), then I would hope that Nintendo follows Sega's lead and becomes a third party developer.

Like you said earlier in your post, I think this is a move to combine their home console and handheld systems into one product. It's smart on their part, but I guess you could say this is them basically throwing all of their eggs into one basket. If this fails like the Wii U did, I don't think they will be making any more hardware, for both home console or handheld. It's all or nothing at this point. If it does flop and they move out of the hardware making business, I just hope they continue making console games for their competitors like Sega did. It kind of worries me to see Nintendo find so much success in the mobile market though. They could quite easily ditch making proper console games in favour of cashing in on their IP with shitty mobile games, theme parks, toys, etc. That would be a dark day for us all. :|