NX aka Nintendo switch revealed! (3rd party support revealed & backed by NVIDIA)

xZoneHunter

Here'a hoping that Nintendo releases some more details soon!

Nintendo have said they won't be giving any more details on the Switch until next year. Seems pretty silly to me since the thing is meant to be coming out in March. It wouldn't hurt to let consumers know the details in advance.

It's just an assumption and it might be wrong but personally I think it's still a valid assumption as the Switch has the capability to replace the 3DS (read: be it's successor), too. Why would they design a home console that can also interact as a handheld and release or cater a second handheld? AFAIK the Nintendo DS also was introduced a thing that would co-exist besides the GBA and it was actually it's successor. 

And the mainline Pokémon-games may only were released on the handhelds so far but GameFreak really have struggles to use the 3DS-features and have a good performance at the same time. The hardware of the normal 3DS is more or less exhausted so it would be a good time to continue with it's successor.

I'm not sure how 3DS owners will like losing the second screen they're accustomed to...

When I think about games like Pokémon, Persona Q,  Etrian Odyssey or Animal Crossing games on 3DS, many things would be much more tedious and difficult to perform without the second screen and touch functionalities. I can't imagine bothering to draw a map using only analog stick/dpad and ABXY and opening and closing different menus to do something I've been able to do with a couple of taps with the stylus.

I'm not sure how developers of some game series will like losing the second screen either as it means they will need to come up with alternative non-intrusive and intuitive methods of managing things in the game on a small screen.

Maybe Switch isn't even meant to replace 3DS?

• Like 1

I'm not sure how 3DS owners will like losing the second screen they're accustomed to...

When I think about games like Pokémon, Persona Q,  Etrian Odyssey or Animal Crossing games on 3DS, many things would be much more tedious and difficult to perform without the second screen and touch functionalities. I can't imagine bothering to draw a map using only analog stick/dpad and ABXY and opening and closing different menus to do something I've been able to do with a couple of taps with the stylus.

I'm not sure how developers of some game series will like losing the second screen either as it means they will need to come up with alternative non-intrusive and intuitive methods of managing things in the game on a small screen.

I've heard some rumblings that it actually isn't. Nintendo is pretty adamant in calling it its new home console.

I don't really know if that's a good thing. Nintendo's strength has always been on the handheld side of things. I thought they were trying to bring that strength over to the home console side by merging the two together, but if they're going to make a new handheld anyway... I don't know if they'll just end up cannibalizing themselves.

Then again, the Switch is a bit too big to be pocketable, so... I don't know. Let's see how they handle and market the whole thing.

Maybe they don't have anything to give =D

Well you would hope that they knew important things like if it has a touchscreen five months away from launch. :P

It just seems strange to me that they give us a three minute trailer, and then they're like "Well that's all, folks!". Then again, I've seen a lot of people say they're going to buy this day one, even with how little we know about it. I guess those people don't care for details. "You can play Skyrim on the go? I'm in". Okay then... :P

Nintendo could have had a little more fun with the coloring. Here's hoping they do release special editions in the future.

Also Mario Kart (new or old) doesn't matter, yay xD!

NS-Fan-Colors-7.jpg

I would definitely like some color variation, so sick of the typical black/white/gray colored systems. How about green, or red, or purple etc

i'm sure something like that will be released in Japan at least :)

If it ends up being region free, then at least it will be import friendly

Edit: Was kinda hoping to be able to play 3ds carts on it, but I guess not =[

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/21/nintendo-switch-no-physical-backwards-compatibility/

Edited by SnowxSakura

- Region-lock yes or no? (Rumors say it has no region-lock, Finally Nintendo!)

I feel like it's too good to be true, but if that's true and they do that, holy hell. If Japan comes out with a Taiko Drum Master game I'm soooo all over that if the Nintendo Switch can play it.

I do agree with it would be annoying as hell to use this for some games that require the touchpad to be used. I'm pretty sure it wont replace the 3DS either. Persona Q drove me mad when you have to draw the maps and everything (not to mention when I transferred my 3ds xl I lost all my maps.....) ..Although even though I play a lot of Pokemon and Animal Crossing.. it could be done on non touch screen systems. Animal Crossing was originally on the N64 in Japan &on the Gamecube in the US. Also later on, on the Wii. There obviously weren't any touch screens on that back in the day. Same with Pokemon how it was all button pushing(Gameboy, Color, Advanced, SP, N64, Gamecube, Wii). The games that have been around for a while, I don't see being an issue on the newer system just because it's like they're taking a step backwards to how stuff previously was which I personally don't have an issue with. It may take some time to get used to with people who jumped into the series later on just because the touch screen is kind of like a crutch imo.
Edited by DuckSwimmer

Well you would hope that they knew important things like if it has a touchscreen five months away from launch. :P

It just seems strange to me that they give us a three minute trailer, and then they're like "Well that's all, folks!". Then again, I've seen a lot of people say they're going to buy this day one, even with how little we know about it. I guess those people don't care for details. "You can play Skyrim on the go? I'm in". Okay then... :P

3 months away - It has... CONTROLLERS!

2 months away - It can be used with... TV!

1 month away - It supports... touchscreen!

Release day - We lied, please understand.

• Like 1

Okay... this is pretty bad news.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-10-21/nintendo-switch-will-not-be-compatible-with-wii-u-discs-3ds-cards/.107951

1) No backwards compatibility - something Ninty does for the first time?

2) No info about battery

3) No info about specs

4) Most importantly, no info about region locking.

No matter how we look at it, it most likely means despite being powered by NVIDIA, it may be more underpowered than we thought. The same goes for region locking, since they did not announce anything about region locking, it most likely means they don't want to kill the hype it has now by announcing they are still keeping this...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-10-21/nintendo-switch-will-not-be-compatible-with-wii-u-discs-3ds-cards/.107951

2) No info about battery

3) No info about specs

No matter how we look at it, it most likely means despite being powered by NVIDIA, it may be more underpowered than we thought. The same goes for region locking, since they did not announce anything about region locking, it most likely means they don't want to kill the hype it has now by announcing they are still keeping this...

this video claims the switch is region free, not sure what their source is though (at 7:20)

2) No info about battery

3) No info about specs

Ubisoft (and some other source I can't remember) have said that the battery lasts 3 hours maximum.

So it's a little better than 3DS but not by much.

2) No info about battery

3) No info about specs

Nintendo are so frustrating as a company. Instead of outright giving us an answer to our questions, they instead tell us they have nothing more to say at this time. Why even announce this new hardware if you're no going to give us any information? Is it so hard to answer a simple yes or no question about region locking?

Ubisoft (and some other source I can't remember) have said that the battery lasts 3 hours maximum.

So it's a little better than 3DS but not by much.

That would be disastrous if true. If people were that upset about Vita's battery life being around 5 hours, all hell will break loose if the Switch can only last 3 hours.

2) No info about battery

3) No info about specs

The SNES wasn't backwards compatible with the NES, The N64 wasn't backwards compatible with the SNES and the GCN wasn't backwards compatible with the N64. The only backwards compatible home consoles were the Wii with the GCN and Wii U with the Wii. 

I'm not too fussed about battery life or anything like that because this will be a home console for me so it will more than likely never leave its dock. I am curious to know about the specs though, specifically about the cartridges because I want to know how big they will be so we have an idea of how big the game Nintendo will be able to make. It doesn't seem like they would be able to make games as big as Microsoft or Sony can on Blu-Ray but I could be completely wrong about that.

Parker  

Well, hopefully.

3 hours?! 

Even less than Vita? And incredibly less than any conventional tablet?

That's pretty normal for your average tablet, running hardware-demanding game.

In any case, people shouldn't expect good hardware from post-Gamecube Nintendo.

The SNES wasn't backwards compatible with the NES, The N64 wasn't backwards compatible with the SNES and the GCN wasn't backwards compatible with the N64. The only backwards compatible home consoles were the Wii with the GCN and Wii U with the Wii. 

Ah, in the end they did. Realizing something new every day :)

I'm not too fussed about battery life or anything like that because this will be a home console for me so it will more than likely never leave its dock. I am curious to know about the specs though, specifically about the cartridges because I want to know how big they will be so we have an idea of how big the game Nintendo will be able to make. It doesn't seem like they would be able to make games as big as Microsoft or Sony can on Blu-Ray but I could be completely wrong about that.

This is going to be interesting. Since they will go with cartridges instead of discs, we can't expect huge size.

That's pretty normal for your average tablet, running hardware-demanding game.

Fully charged tablet shouldn't provide only 3 hours even on HW-demanding game. 

So I know it's not the most important thing since I never bought any, but I don't see how amiibos will be usable on the switch? Unless you stick them on the tablet screen or something?

The screen part will probably have a built-in NFC reader like New 3DS and Wii U gamepad have. It would also make sense to be on the screen part so that you can use amiibo when away from home.

I think they will want to keep amiibos flying off the shelves and thus not make the reader an additional peripheral that you have to purchase separately.