No Death runs

det0xxp

On October 25, 2016 at 4:50 AM, scFlinT-us said:

The only thing is that unlocking The Kid is a real and huge pain in the neck, seriously =) Just got him yesterday, man, I thought I would break my Vita in the rage quit. That warp zone is just terrible and thanks god those kind of warp zones, where you unlock new characters, do not have "3 tries" limit per level, otherwise this trophy would be 10 times more ultra rare.

After beating the No Death runs in Cotton Alley I thought that the most difficult part of the game is now behind but how wrong I was. My next goal was Zombie Boy, but after I got stuck in Dark 5-2 (it's extrimily hard to make a jump with SMB in the beginning of the level) I decided to focus on unlocking the new characters and learned the true pain in those warp zones (finished them today, btw), zero stages and collecting the bandages (still have to collect about 40).

I struggled for a few hours on The Kid on my alt. Gave up for a while, watched someone on YouTube and tried again. Took one hour and twenty minutes to unlock him. 

What's difficult is that second section going up in the first level. You need to be just below the spikes but also be able to tap the X button, not hold it down as Kid will slide to his death. Very precise movement, died hundreds of times in that spot. 

Huge payoff unlocking him. I actually think the Skyscraper warp zone is more aggravating than The Kid's warpzone. You get only three lives in each of the three levels and there are two bandages to collect. A lot of jumping across spikes with questionable hit boxes. One of the bandages has you doing the entire second level twice. You die just before Bandage Girl and you have to do the entire thing over again. 

Then there's that last jump on the third level in the warpzone which was a pain. Ended my run four or five times in that spot with both bandages collected. So it was going back to 1-1 and working my way to the end of 1-3 again. 

The Kid is definitely hard, but you have infinite lives and you're not being sent back to the level select screen, every time you hear "WARP ZOOOOONNNNEEE!"

Edited by Spaz

• 4 years later...
On 12/19/2016 at 6:58 AM, scFlinT-us said:

I wouldn't say that, bro. It took me more than 3 weeks of active gameplay until the Impossible Boy popped. And it was less than a week of active gameplay for Zombie Boy. Having the variety of characters to select from does the big difference. Though, maybe it's personal...

Most of the people saying Zombie Boy is harder than Cotton Alley are overly dependent on The Kid, who's a HORRIBLE choice for certain levels, a less than optimal one for others, and a decent but not the best choice in still others.

If you use The Kid for 5-1x for instance, you're shoehorning yourself into either traversing the entire level, or doing the shortcut frame-perfectly.  If you were to say, give Pink Knight a try instead, you will more than likely find yourself taking the shortcut with ease.

Edited by g34hgfggn

• 8 months later...

So far, I find that there are 10 stages to get a flawless run:

1) playing the world for the first time, and dying dozens of times on every level

2) running through the world again, getting very familiar with how it all works, and removing most of the "luck" that may have gotten you through the first time

3) able to make it through each level pretty consistently, maybe 1-3 tries per. Here's where most gamers think they're just around the corner from the trophy. "Dude I'm so close. Maybe one more try" Famous last words, silly gamer

4) you're now able to make it through each level without dying, almost all 20 in a row. Usually 19, and then one stupid #$% @%#$ing little *&$^% error blows your progress and-- *breathes deep* *smiles through pain* ...simply try again. "Maybe one more try"

5-10) you try again, and again, reorganizing your order to get the hardest ones done early but then the easy ones become hard somehow and the hard ones become easy and you always die on like the 19th level no matter how you reorganize and you try again and again and again and die in places you've never died before like how did THAT ruin your run and you wipe off your brow and try again and again and then you suddenly realize that when you weren't paying attention to which level you're on the trophy pops

...and repeat.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know it has been mentioned allready, but you dont need to quit out to title or stuff when messed your no death streak.

It just begins from your last level not dying.

Before i had known that i allways quit to world map and rejoined the world.

Saves you a lot of time and maybe you get some no death runs while practicing.

e.g. you die in level 3 and then beat it your nodeath count starts with this level. no need to map quit.

• 1 year later...
On 7/8/2022 at 10:53 AM, APeskyAxolotl said:

So far, I find that there are 10 stages to get a flawless run:

1) playing the world for the first time, and dying dozens of times on every level

2) running through the world again, getting very familiar with how it all works, and removing most of the "luck" that may have gotten you through the first time

3) able to make it through each level pretty consistently, maybe 1-3 tries per. Here's where most gamers think they're just around the corner from the trophy. "Dude I'm so close. Maybe one more try" Famous last words, silly gamer

4) you're now able to make it through each level without dying, almost all 20 in a row. Usually 19, and then one stupid #$% @%#$ing little *&$^% error blows your progress and-- *breathes deep* *smiles through pain* ...simply try again. "Maybe one more try"

5-10) you try again, and again, reorganizing your order to get the hardest ones done early but then the easy ones become hard somehow and the hard ones become easy and you always die on like the 19th level no matter how you reorganize and you try again and again and again and die in places you've never died before like how did THAT ruin your run and you wipe off your brow and try again and again and then you suddenly realize that when you weren't paying attention to which level you're on the trophy pops

...and repeat.

man i laughed so hard reading this, saw myself on this lol. So true lmao

• 2 weeks later...