Mark Cerny Says PS4 Pro has 8.2 Teraflops

Xel

“We doubled the GPU size by essentially placing it next to a mirrored image of itself, rather like the wings of a butterfly,” he said. “That gives us an extremely clean way to support the 700 existing titles, because we can turn off half the GPU and just run something that's very close to the original GPU.”

But literally doubling the onboard GPU would seem to afford devs just double the power -- so how does Sony claim the PS4 Pro can do 2.28 times as much as the PS4?

“We were also able to take advantage of silicon process improvements and boost the frequency by 14 percent, to 911 MHz, which is what gets us from 2x the power to 2.28x the power,” said Cerny. “Additionally, we've added in a number of AMD roadmap features and a few custom features. Some of these give us better efficiency when rendering for high-resolution displays. We also have support for more efficient rendering for PlayStation VR.”

Among those “roadmap” features (features slated to come to AMD’s own discrete GPU chipsets in the future) are things like delta color compression, or DCC.

“DCC allows for inflight compression of the data heading towards frame buffers and render targets, which results in the reduction of the bandwidth used to access them,” said Cerny. “Since our GPU power has increased more than our bandwidth, this has the potential to be extremely helpful.”

There’s also a primitive discard accelerator which  “improves the efficiency with which triangles that are too small to affect the rendering are removed from the pipeline” and a work distributor, something Cerny says is critical once your GPU gets to a certain size because it functions as “a centralized brain in the GPU that intelligently distributes and load-balances the geometry being rendered.”

“The work distributor in PS4 Pro is very advanced,” he claimed. “Not only does it have the fairly dramatic tesselation improvements from Polaris [AMD’s GPU architecture], it also has some post-Polaris functionality that accelerates rendering of scenes with very small objects. “

But Cerny seemed more excited about another one of these “post-Polaris” features that the PS4 Pro has: a significant improvement in the way it handles 16-bit variables like half-floats.

With the PS4 Pro, said Cerny, “it's possible to perform two 16-bit operations at the same time, instead of one 32-bit operation. In other words, with full floats, PS4 Pro has 4.2 teraflops of computational power. With half floats, it now has double that -- which is to say, 8.4 teraflops of computational power. As I'm sure you understand, this has the potential to radically increase the performance of games.”

Full article: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/283611/Inside_the_PlayStation_4_Pro_with_Mark_Cerny.php#tophead

I have a feeling this will be supported better in future games that are unreleased than developers going back and patching games.

At the speed chip design is improving, I'm hoping the PS4 Pro Slim comes out in three years and reduces power consumption (and heat) by 30-40%. That's likely when I'll be ready to jump on board.

I already picked up the OG PS4 v.2 for the better power savings. Pretty exciting times for consoles right now!

• Like 1

"My console has more teraflops than your console." - The console wars of tomorrow

I don't really understand though. I thought Scorpio was supposed to be way more powerful than the PS4 Pro, but that supposedly only has 6 teraflops. Am I missing something here? :blink:

That seems like shady marketing, I mean if what he is saying is true then Scorpio can do 12 Teraflops.

• Like 1

That seems like shady marketing, I mean if what he is saying is true then Scorpio can do 12 Teraflops.

Ah, I see how it is. I figured it would be some shady marketing move to make it seem more powerful than it actually is. Could this be the blast processing of this generation? :giggle:

Edited by Undead Wolf

Anyone can translate what is the essential difference that will make this better than a normal PS4? Because to me, it seems that games will run on both consoles, so whatever.

More stable frame rate, some games get Ultra and native 4K settings.

From what I have gathered at the moment from people having experience with the Pro and FFXV, they say it's only worth the upgrade if you have 4K at the moment.  If you don't, the Pro version will basically be the same as the normal version at launch.  As far as I'm aware, they have pushed FFXV to Pro's limits with 4K enabled, they're for patching it later down the line though to match the PC settings whenever that version comes out.

• Like 1

Anyone can translate what is the essential difference that will make this better than a normal PS4? Because to me, it seems that games will run on both consoles, so whatever.

Games are required to run on both consoles, there will be no Pro exclusives, which has been promised by Sony.

*IF* a developer chooses, they can enable the higher processing of the Pro with the increased power of an updated GPU and CPU to improve aesthetics or improve stability.

Basically this;

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/24/13385024/titanfall-2-ps4-pro-frame-rate-resolution

If developers choose to do so, they can use the extra power of the PS4 Pro to allow the games to run and look better. If a game struggles to maintain 1080p and 60fps on the regular PS4, the Pro should run that game at 1080p with a stable 60fps with no issues. So both systems will run the same games, the Pro will run the games better. 

Parker

• Like 1

"My console has more teraflops than your console." - The console wars of tomorrow

I don't really understand though. I thought Scorpio was supposed to be way more powerful than the PS4 Pro, but that supposedly only has 6 teraflops. Am I missing something here? :blink:

Which was started on the Microsoft spectrum, since the Scorpio is/was rumoured to have 6 teraflops. The PS4 Pro was rumoured to have just 4.25 teraflops. The edge there is indisputably in Microsoft's favour.

If Sony managed to nearly DOUBLE the teraflops count, to 8, that is EXTREMELY good for 4K gaming...

Suddenly 8TFlops? 

What's next? Scorpio going for 12 only for Pro to suddenly raise to 16?

Since the production of the Pro is nearing completion at this point, and assuming this is true, it was likely a last minute decision to increase the performance drastically, which will OBVIOUSLY force Microsoft to make the Scorpio at least 10 teraflops. Although by Fall 2017, they most likely will be able to do 12 teraflops.

This is why I feel the Playstation 5 and whatever the hell the next main Xbox console is going to be won't be coming until later than 2020. These 4K machines are going to extend the lifespan of this generation.

What the hell are terraflops?

J44FY8y.png

For the sake of comparison, the launch PS4 had 3.18 teraflops and is renown for being the strongest console on the market...

I'm sure even someone that doesn't understand tech could imagine an extra five teraflops would be extremely powerful.

Edited by Valyrious