Bethesda wants your money before the reviews hit

Undead Wolf

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Bethesda. They don't do many games that I enjoy, and they've always rubbed me the wrong way. Note that I haven't even played more than two hours of Skyrim. Who knows why I feel like this. I should give Doom more of a chance beyond that demo though.

I don't see Dishonored 2 flopping, in all honesty.

• Like 1

Riiiiiiight, there's a reason I hardly ever buy games at the launch anymore. 

At Bethesda, we value media reviews.

We read them. We watch them. We try to learn from them when they offer critique. And we understand their value to our players.

Lol, sure you do Bethesda. That's why every new game is riddled with bugs and glitches.

I don't know why everyone has to read reviews befor buying a game.

I never read them and buy games I might like. No other person can tell me if a game is good or bad. Even a game with bad reviews migth be fun for me.

If you really need to know the scores of a game just wait till the review gets published.

• Like 3

I would rather they not make a habit out of what happened with Doom which was a shot in the dark but one that payed off in the end, especially if it comes to their more open world games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls which normally turn out to be buggy messes day one. I also wouldn't like it if other devs took that route either, considering Mafia III (granted they at least patched it shortly after but still) and it probably gives shady devs the chance to make more excuses.

Edited by Redgrave

For fuck sake ... No they don't. Sure they want your money, they'll happily take it after release date as well ya know. There's no harm in waiting a few days, weeks, months or even years to buy the sodding games.

What is everyone's obsession with giving devs money for game that aren't finished, continuously complaining about it, then doing the same bloody thing to the next game ..

i've been doing this more and more recently. especially now a days with all the changes and additions that come in the form of patches, if you wait a while you can get a much different and often better game than the one that was released on launch day

What I think?

We also understand that some of you want to read reviews before you make your decision, and if that’s the case we encourage you to wait for your favorite reviewers to share their thoughts but since we know that we make most of the sales based on hype and you won't wait, we know you gonna buy it anyway.

Honestly, is there even any difference between Bethesda games (rethorical question)? They are all average~good, but glitchfest all over the place and they get patched lately much more often than before. We all know it gonna be nearly broken near launch and no number of reviews will change that, so you either cope with the initial glitches or wait until very later on when it's all patched and reviewed. The big question is, how far away from the hype can you stay?

Just because DOOM was amazing doesn't really give them a free pass.

Don't pre-order games

But what about my nep preorder bonuses. I like giant cloth posters to hang on my wall. Who cares if the game is bad xD.

On the other hand, Bethesda has never given me even a remote reason to preorder their games. Free dlc is usually lackluster and isn't very displayable if the game is bad

• Like 1

Already know what Skyrim is like, so this is a non-issue to me.

Yeah I feel that the biggest reason people would be reading Skyrim reviews would be purely on whether the game performs well or not on their console of choice. Otherwise you already know what you're getting into.

Edited by Death_Ninja

Just because DOOM was amazing doesn't really give them a free pass.

Don't pre-order games

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, I think some people are way too trusting of certain publishers just because they've made some games they like.

I don't know why everyone has to read reviews befor buying a game.

I never read them and buy games I might like. No other person can tell me if a game is good or bad. Even a game with bad reviews migth be fun for me.

If you really need to know the scores of a game just wait till the review gets published.

And I don't know why people purchase games without reading into them at all. You're right, no one can tell you how much you're going to enjoy a game, but that's not the point. Find the reviewers who you relate to the most, and based on what they say they like and dislike about a game, you can form your own opinion. People don't have unlimited amounts of money to spend on games, and reviews are a valuable way to make informed decisions.

Already know what Skyrim is like, so this is a non-issue to me.

You know Skyrim isn't the only game affected by this, right? ALL Bethesda games will be doing this going forward.

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 3

Haha I love how you don't sugar coat your title. "Bethesda wants your money." It is true though if you put it bluntly :P. Tbh I couldn't care less what Bethesda does or what developer A or B does

In the end, I'm never going to preorder games. Never had! ever! Never will! You're basically putting trust in people in a game that you've never played and you're trusting them based on snippets of gameplay and marketing( which could be of course exaggerated).

Even then, I never buy a game at full price. Always wait for a sale. I always have a game to keep me busy till the next game I'm interested in drops in price.

Edited by poopooblast

well i never trust reviews to begin with as they are all biased in one way or another. i prefer Gamefly and other suck services, plus since i usually wait about a year before buying a game now-a-days due to all the nickel-and-dime strategies they pull.

I feel they are just shooting themselves in the foot with this. yes they got lucky with DOOM doesn't mean it will happen again.

I do not think i even own a Bethesda Game, i almost bought Skyrim a few years ago but decided against it after gameflying it. the world felt so empty

Edited by DarkHarmonixer

The only game I pre-order was Uncharted 4, but that's because I know what I can expect from the game, beside I trust ND but anyway usually I don't pre order games but just cause they are expensive at release date, I wait for a sale and I see if I really need the game, I look at my backlog and I cry to myself :') ahahah

For example Dying Light is 25€ with everything but I am playing Shadow of the Colossus, finished Dust and I am playing Dynasty Warriors Next on Vita. Dying Light can wait xD

I don't really agree with this. I mean I can look at Aliens: Colonial Marines and tell it's shit. i don't need to play it to understand that. :P

Like I've mentioned in previous posts, you shouldn't 100% trust what a reviewer is saying. They are giving their own opinion, and you may have a different one. It's still a valuable piece of information though. Let's say they give a game a 6/10 and they complain about a certain mechanic or feature that you think you would like, you can assume you'll think of the game as more of a 7 or 8. Maybe it will be worth it to you then. Then there are objective things a review can tell you as well, such as games length, or how buggy it is. This is all information you can take into consideration.

That's not the point I was making. Of course all developers/publishers want to make money, but there are different ways to go about that. This is an anti-consumer move. It's the same reason why I'll give games with microtransactions so much shit. There's making money, and then there's exploiting consumers. Bethesda want to keep us ignorant by preventing us from making informed decisions. That's just how it is.

Except they AREN'T preventing you from making an informed decision. You, as a consumer, have zero obligation to purchase their product immediately. If you buy a game blindly and find out that's utter garbage after playing it, that's YOUR fault because you didn't research the game when it was released. If you really feel the need to read reviews then wait for those reviews. Wasting your money on a bad experience because you can't wait is not the developer's fault.

Am I defending Bethesda's decision? Yes, I am, because it is their right to do so. Do necessarily AGREE with said decision? No, I don't. But don't make false claims like this when you have the free will to WAIT a few days before making a purchase.

• Like 1