Sony announces two third party pro controllers for PS4

Undead Wolf

After the success of Xbox One's pro controller, it seems like Sony wanted a piece of the action. Instead of creating their own controller though, they've licensed Razer and Nacon to make the controllers instead. https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/10/26/first-look-at-two-new-licensed-pro-controllers-for-ps4/?emcid=social_20161026_67253476&adbid=791313502958780416&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

We are excited to give you a first look at the Razer Raiju and Nacon Revolution, two officially licensed pro controllers coming to the SIEE region for PS4 this year.

To give our competitive and pro players more choice, we invited Razer andNacon to use their knowledge and expertise in developing eSports peripherals to design two unique pro controllers for PS4.

30494474891_28ff280efd_b.jpg

Through close collaboration we’ve been able to help optimise each controller for PS4 – incorporating innovative Dualshock 4 controls and ensuring gamers can enjoy a plug & play experience with any model of PS4.

As you can see, and read about in more detail below, each controller offers a different layout and range of unique features – so competitive gamers can find one which best compliments and adapts to their unique gameplay style.

Razer Raiju

The Razer team’s extensive knowledge in developing eSports peripherals made them an ideal partner to create a tournament-grade controller for PS4.

30545770326_875c25a4ee_b.jpg

Designed for conquering professional eSports tournaments, the Razer Raiju is equipped with advanced controller customisation and ergonomics. Its features include:

• Two extra bumpers and two extra detachable triggers
  • Built-in control panel on the front of the controller
  • Trigger-stop switches and hair trigger mode for ultra-fast trigger responses
  • Two custom profiles which you can instantly switch between and modify
  • 3.5mm headset jack and dedicated headset volume and mic mute controls
  • Detachable analog stick rubber caps which provide extra grip during intense gaming sessions
  • Compatibility with all PS4 systems via the braided 3m-long USB cable – detachable for easy storage

The Razer Raiju will launch this holiday season and you can sign up to receive more information about it here.

29950430444_e57ab29855_b.jpg

Nacon Revolution

Developed with the eSport player in mind, the Nacon team of industrial designers and engineers collaborated with pro-gamers to develop the Revolution Pro Controller to meet a wide range of their gameplay needs.

30465290722_0376346543_b.jpg

Thanks to this collaboration, the Revolution Pro Controller features include:

• 46° amplitude dual analogue sticks, enhanced with innovative firmware for advanced eSports accuracy and reach
  • Four extra shortcut buttons
  • Eight-way directional pad
  • Four custom profiles – all configurable via the companion PC application, enabling players to: re-map buttons, assign macros to the four shortcut controls and adjust analog and trigger sensitivity
  • Two internal compartments with six additional weights – for a tailored balance and feel
  • Compatibility with all PS4 systems via the 3m-long secure connection USB cable – detachable for easy storage

The Revolution Pro Controller will also be available this holiday season and you can visit the Nacon website here for more information.

30545773366_46576dc709_b.jpg

I'm not a competitive gamer, and I don't play many multiplayer games, so i don't think it would be worth it for me. I think I'll stick with my regular old DualShock 4. If I had to pick one though, I'd probably go with the Razer, simply because it's less ugly and the analogue sticks are in the correct position. :P

So, what do you guys think about this? Do you think they're as ugly as I think they look? Will you be purchasing one? 

Edited by Undead Wolf

I'm a fan of the DS4 as is, apart from the Start and Select buttons, and the joysticks. The joysticks feel a bit too cheap, and the Start and Select buttons could be raised a bit more. I'd also prefer the controller be entirely smooth like the top side is, as opposed to having a textured underside.

To big for my hands; uncomfortable and I also learned that always the original gamepad was/ is and always will be the best joice.

Also the designs of both gamepads don't suits me

Edited by Shirokane84

Would you recommend the Hori FPS? I've been considering purchasing it.

Absolutely, just the turbo functionality alone makes it worth it. 

It's quite bulky so it's a little hard to get used to at first. Once you're used to it though it's all good. 

The L2/R2 buttons are sooooo good.  :lol: Sounds weird, but you'll see what i mean when you finally get to use one. 

I broke mine by stepping on it by accident lol, gonna buy another one for sure. 

• Like 2

3 things I look for in controllers

1. Durability - I don't throw controllers but I tend to accidentally step or sit on one occasionally so this is a must.

2. Weight - I don't want to be holding a brick while gaming. Save it for the gym.

3. Wireless/rechargeable - I am a squirrelly dude when I play and move around a lot so wireless is a must. I also don't want to spend $50 on batteries either.

Notice how the DS4 has all 3 of these things (from my experience at least)? I don't need to dish out extra cash for a few bells and whistles. Im content with Sony's quality.

This is super cool. Options man, nothing wrong with options.

Best case, they sell great & even more variants get made & sold. Worst case (still great) they sell poorly & drop in price very quickly, giving people a great option for a second controller if they need one.

Either way, Sony probably has pennies in this so it won't hurt them

They know their controller is great but as I said, no harm in options for the people.

I have one of these guys for my PS4

150358-L-LO.jpg

Picked it up for 20 bucks at JB new, they wanted 80. Guy was pretty insistent I don't bother with it since you need to update it and shit all the time apparently. I updated it once when I got it and it's been going strong since.

The touch pad doesn't work perfect unfortunately, it warns you of this, but it's basically one big button, no sliding or anything, though since no games aside from Killzone come to mind for actually using it (and inFamous), who cares. It sucks on PS2 games though since you can't pause but oh well, 20 bucks is 20 bucks.

Anyway, as someone who's been using the Xbox style layout on PS4 the last month or two, and using an aftermarket controller (albeit one made without Sony's support), it's not entirely horrible. Like, these things can only really be better than what I've got, and what I've got is good enough.

The point I'm trying but still not getting at, is that this remote needs to be updated every now and then to keep up with the PS4 OS updates, and it worries me that it may be the same with these new remotes, but either way, they're gonna go for way more than they're worth anyways so I don't care. Yay for more options!

Maybe if Sony made it. I'm not too fond of third party controllers.

The scuf like paddles or rear buttons should have been added from the beginning of this gen. Seems like the next step in controller evolution to me. It sucks that scuf, battle beaver and the like are so damn expensive though and the thought of using the claw grip just screams future arthritis to me.

Edited by Rowdi