Sony announces two third party pro controllers for PS4

Undead Wolf

I don't know. Both the controllers look a bit bulky and have a lot of buttons on them. I think there is a fine line when a controller has too many buttons on it. Just my opinion of course. I may pick one of them up if the price is low enough but I can definitely wait for that day to come.

On a side note; anybody who is curious about the Nacon's version of the layout (the one that resembles an Xbox controller) the layout may look daunting, especially with the d-pad and left joystick pretty much switching places, but it's really not that bad. I had an Xbox 360 for about a year and it only took me a little bit to get comfortable with the different controller configuration. Just thought I would mention this for anyone who is curious on how it feels to have the left joystick on the top left of the controller instead of being beside the right joystick.  

On a side note; anybody who is curious about the Nacon's version of the layout (the one that resembles an Xbox controller) the layout may look daunting, especially with the d-pad and left joystick pretty much switching places, but it's really not that bad. I had an Xbox 360 for about a year and it only took me a little bit to get comfortable with the different controller configuration. Just thought I would mention this for anyone who is curious on how it feels to have the left joystick on the top left of the controller instead of being beside the right joystick.  

Agreed. I have a Xbox One and Wii U that I barely play, but when I do play them, it's not hard to adapt to the different d-pad/stick controller layout. I actually have more trouble with the buttons being different. My muscle memory is very tuned to the PlayStation buttons (and I've only been on PlayStation since 2011, before that I was playing Gamecube, Wii, and PC). 

I've never been tempted to get a third-party controller for a console. I think the DS4 is ideal already, so no need to improve on it. In a perfect world, it would have better quality thumbsticks (or at least more durable in feel) and a longer battery. But I am almost always disappointed in battery life no matter how long it is (the DS3 and Wii U Pro controller are the exceptions, those things last forever). Those are minor complaints though, especially since I have a Micro USB cable handy at my "gaming spot" on the couch. :) They are certainly not big enough to tempt me to buy a third party wired controller that is probably overpriced. 

• Like 1

Never been a fan of 3rd party controllers, not really into 3rd party accessories at all. First party ones always have such a higher quality, original Xbox controllers aside [the oversized ones]. And they are usually ugly, and this is no exception.

So meh from me. Only issue with the DS4 is the garbage analog stick materials that fall apart. No matter how good you treat it, they'll fall apart. I still have my launch N64 controller that came with the system, but those sticks started falling apart within a year. But I bought some cover thingies, so whatever.

Edited by Elvick_

That is the ugliest thing I have ever seen... I can't unsee that now. :|

The photo isn't flattering, it looks better in person, but honestly it just looks like a cheap Xbox One remote with a touch pad crudely shoved into the middle. The triggers honestly are so good though. It was either a red one, a white one, or a black one, and I don't know if they even had any black ones in stock, but I wanted something a bit less normal, and the white one looked like horse shit. Plus, even though I don't follow sports, when I did, my team was red and black, so that's cool.

The design isn't that great to me.  I mean they seem more designed to be for Xbox than anything else, not for the PS4.  I mean the Xbox has their own design and the controllers shown here seem to be more along those lines.  The controllers we have for the PS4 right now are fine.

But I think I see how they're trying to make it, gonna keep getting bulkier and bulkier, soon, we'll be playing with perfect square brick controllers in our hands at this rate x.x

Meh. Really no point in making pro controllers for consoles. Even games with the most keyboard button heavy controls can translate well onto a typical controller.

Wii U actually had a good one. More comfortable than the DS4, extremely lightweight (to the point of feeling like a cheap plastic toy), ridiculously good battery life.

This is clearly catered to those that prefer Xbox controllers, but switched over to the PS4.

I find both designs egregiously distasteful.

Good to see Sony finally acknowledges Microsofts controllers are more comfortable, hope to see more of them in the future!

I really do hope that is sarcasm.

Wii U actually had a good one. More comfortable than the DS4, extremely lightweight (to the point of feeling like a cheap plastic toy), ridiculously good battery life.

I wouldn't exactly say feeling like a cheap plastic toy is the sign of quality. :P Being extremely lightweight isn't always a good thing. If I remember correctly, a lot of people didn't like how light the Sixaxis controller was for the PS3. One of the big improvements to the DualShock 3 was that it was heavier.

I've never held a Wii U Pro controller, so maybe it really is more comfortable than a DualShock 4, but I will say the stick positions on the Pro controller bother me greatly. :P After gaming on PlayStation all my life, I don't know if I could get used to that.

Edited by Undead Wolf

Good to see Sony finally acknowledges Microsofts controllers are more comfortable, hope to see more of them in the future!

By letting a couple companies pay them to make controllers that mostly work on their consoles, as well as pay Sony again for each controller they sell? Yeah, I don't think you know how licensed products work.

Comfort is subjective and many of us would be doing a lot less gaming if the huge, uncomfortable xbox controller was the standard.

• Like 1

I wouldn't exactly say feeling like a cheap plastic toy is the sign of quality. :P Being extremely lightweight isn't always a good thing. If I remember correctly, a lot of people didn't like how light the Sixaxis controller was for the PS3. One of the big improvements to the DualShock 3 was that it was heavier.

I've never held a Wii U Pro controller, so maybe it really is more comfortable than a DualShock 4, but I will say the stick positions on the Pro controller bother me greatly. :P After gaming on PlayStation all my life, I don't know if I could get used to that.

Its about as easy from playing games on a keyboard to a controller to a phone. Youd get used to it in 2 minutes.

Lol, these controllers will still pale in comparison to the XB1 elite controller. Now with CronusMax, I can use it everywhere. Why settle for less when you can get the best. I'm sure these controllers will be decently priced around the world, they have to be if they want to sell.

And screw Xbox layout.

The only way to truly experience Anime and Hana Kana games.

Edited by FlareXV