• Breton
    • Bosmer (Wood Elf)
    • Dunmer (Dark Elf)
    • Imperial
    • Khajiit
    • Nord
    • Redguard
    • Orsimer (Ork)

For the people new to it and don't know: the resistance to magicka ability is capped at 85% and Bretons are the only race who can reach it permanently without contracting vampirism or equipping enchanted equipment. Resistance to magicka gives you blanket resistance to all magic attacks. The way you do this is:

• Bretons begin with a natural 25% resistance to magicka.
  • Taking the Lord's Stone standing stone blessing gives you another 25% resistance to magicka and also +50 to your armor class. This can be found in the hills north of Whiterun and northwest of Loreius Farm.
  • Completing The Book of Love quest that starts in Riften gives you another 15% resistance to magicka. You start this travel-intensive quest by speaking to the priestess at the Temple of Mara.
  • Putting 2 points into the Magic Resistance perk on the Alteration skill tree gives you another 20% resistance to magicka.

You may wonder why this is particularly useful, and it's because dragon's breath attacks are magicka attacks. You can shrug off the brunt of a breath attack (taking slightly more than 50% of the damage you'd normally take from it) and charge a dragon head on. All you'd have to worry about is their melee attacks then.

Edited by damon8r351

I've done mostly WoodElf / thief / Archer, through Morrowind , Oblivian and Skyrim.   felt I needed to try something different so went Nord with 2 handed hammer with heavy armor. Melee has  completely changed how I play, more head first ask questions later rather than snip from afar never getting my hands dirty. 

I did three "playthroughs" on PS3 and the first two characters were Nords. I come from a Nordic country myself so... I guess Nords were kind of relatable for me. But then I decided to pick a Breton as my third character because the Breton in that ESO cinematic trailer was so cool, I kinda wanted to "recreate" him in Skyrim.  And then I ended up liking my Breton character so much on PS3 that I wanted to bring him with me on PS4. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing a Nord for nostalgic reasons. I played a Nord character on my very first Skyrim playthrough and I decided to remake that very same character. I really wish I could play as a snow elf. I play on the PC (heavily modded) as well and my current character is a snow elf. 

• 2 weeks later...

My first save file I picked an Orc who joined the Imperials and ended up turning very evil and feared character as he becomes a servant to the Daedric princes.

My second file I made a Nord who joins the Stormcloaks and, in my role-playing, ends up being a reincarnation of Talos and a hero to mankind.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I was an Argonian when I first played the game (on X360), played many hours but never actually finished the game. I'm playing a Wood Elf on the new run I started a few days ago(on Switch).

I like how these races (can) look, don't feel like playing a human and didn't feel like playing an Argonian again after I played one for so long already, figured I'd mix things up.

Edited by Cubone

17 minutes ago, MrDelDante said:

Being in Skyrim I had to go Nord.

Big, bearded, Ginger Nord. Called him Tormund. He's a heavy armor wearing, Sword and Dagger wielding, shouty Dragonborn.

A shame you can't get the title of Giantsbane, along with a companion that apparently knows nothing. 

Normally I go Nord on first playthrough, although I've played Dark/High Elf if I ended up rolling classes with that relies mostly on magic.