Signature Battle VIII [RESULTS!]

DEMON

Signature Battle VIII  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favorite Pro signature:

2. 2. Vote for your favorite Novice signature:

Congrats to DEMON & ruffedgz! :yay: I was pretty impressed with the novice entries this time, some of them could even rival the elites. good-job-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862

Also, will I be getting to see the render a little early since I won that guessing game a little while back? I wasn't sure if you were serious about that, or it was a joke. xD

• Like 1

Congrats to DEMON & ruffedgz! :yay: I was pretty impressed with the novice entries this time, some of them could even rival the elites. good-job-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862

Also, will I be getting to see the render a little early since I won that guessing game a little while back? I wasn't sure if you were serious about that, or it was a joke. xD

Yes.  So that will mean Elite might be decided a bit earlier if you do decide to sign up for it.  And no, it was no joke.  Dragon got his render a few days early like I said he would.  You'll get yours a few days early too (I'll beat up cmgravekeeper for you if he doesn't give it early :P).

And yea, Novice were very impressive this time.. ruffed and Dragon were lucky I didn't just promote them to Pro on the spot.

Edited by DEMON
  • Like 1

You could start working harder anyway :P

Also I'll take some C&C.

Overall, I think this signature looks good but the text is a major issue.  I do like the effort put into it but you cut the end of the heart off which ruined the look (it could have been posistioned higher up to prevent this or made smaller).  I'm not sure what exactly the grey stuff on the right corner is.  I'm assuming that has something to do with text?  It just looks like it should have been erased as the signature could have looked a lot better without that there.  It really looked like a mistake to me.

Aqua could have maybe done without the soft erase too.  Remember, it's not always necessary to do that.  I only ever do that myself really if the render has a lot of hair/clothes that just makes it awkward to work with otherwise.

I do think though, you are getting better as you keep trying.  Your main issue is your text work.  I suggest using the basics for a while and then move onto the more advanced text work.  It will probably help your signatures in the long run until you become more knowledgeable in Photoshop (or GIMP).

Congrats to the winners.

Props to Dragon for demonstrating outstanding Skill, surprised DEMON hasn't promoted you or ruffedgz.

Boy, I'm officially rubbish, from being first last month to rock bottom. depressed1-onion-head-emoticon.gif?12928

CnC, please.

You aren't rubbish.  You have won in Signature Battle 2 times now.  Everyone has their ups and their downs when they start with signatures.

Overall, I could tell straight away with this signature you made that were probably inspired by O9K's work.  As I can see you tried smudging (or well, motion blur).  This is quite a difficult style for someone who is new and maybe doesn't have a graphics tablet.  It's one of those styles that look easy, but it really isn't (it's a style I'm currently learning myself and I would say it would be a lot harder, near impossible for me if I didn't have a Cintiq).

I think some of the background work on this looked nice.  But it was the over saturation of colors and render that was really the downfall here.  You had submitted a better entry to me at first.. but I take whatever is the last entry you submit.

The lighting is done correctly here, so you got that on point.  But below the lighting is a green line.. I'm not too sure where that could be coming from but it has been really distracting to me so it's technically acting as another focal point, which you don't want in your signatures.  You want one focal point only.

As for the text, it was good font choice (I would be very interested in seeing the version with Japanese text though), but I feel like it's floating and not connected to the character.  Text should always be sitting on the character slightly to connect it to the focal point.

Anyways, keep practicing and you will get better.  But I can hope you can see now why I didn't think you were ready for Pro difficulty? You still have a good bit of learning to do, I suggest looking at tutorials on dA to help you improve and learn new techniques.

Also, I did give ruffedgz a promotion chance this month.  But he's decided to stay in Novice once more and see how he does.  Dragon didn't get a promotion chance as I found his signature this time to be a bit too much of a jump in skill for him and like I said, you have your ups and downs at first, but hopefully he can be consistent with this skill level.

Edited by DEMON
  • Like 2

Congrats to the winners :yay:. Seems that I'm second place again with exactly 4 votes behind .... a pattern is starting to appear.

I'd like some CnC please.

And that's that Signature Battle finally completed! (Sorry Dragon, but it didn't drag on the whole month :P). As promised to him though:

Next Signature Battle is going to be ran by cmgravekeeper and it's going to be Elite difficulty, as everyone already knows, it's going to be Final Fantasy themed to celebrate the release of Final Fantasy XV (and since cmgravekeeper is running it, it's going to be delayed in true FF fashion :ninja:).  It should start on December 1st.

Too bad about the tie-breaker round ending already, but the song was added, so I'm happy :D.

Lol the last SotM thread was created very early, so that miracle might just happen again.

RaveNScythE (18/88 votes - 14/29 Tie Breaker Round votes)

E8wqRsi.png

Nev (2/88 votes)

AdajeCK.png

I've been wondering this for a while now, but do people just write something in Japanese or does it actually fit with the theme?

Yes.  So that will mean Elite might be decided a bit earlier if you do decide to sign up for it.  And no, it was no joke.  Dragon got his render a few days early like I said he would.  You'll get yours a few days early too (I'll beat up cmgravekeeper for you if he doesn't give it early :P).

And yea, Novice were very impressive this time.. ruffed and Dragon were lucky I didn't just promote them to Pro on the spot.

Oh yeah, I was supposed to get the render a few days early. Hey Demon I think you forgot something :P. Just kidding, yeah I got it a few days earlier.

Lol, I haven't even won the Novice rank even once... or completed any of my Sig Battle goals yet:

1. Get out of the last 3 places in Novice
  2. Get into the top 3 places in Novice
  3. Win the Novice rank
  4. ???
  5. Profit
  6. Get out of the last 3 places in Pro
  7. Get into the top 3 places in Pro
  8. Win the Pro rank
  9. ??????
  10. Even more profit
  11. Win Elite

Also I'll take some C&C.

I liked how you recreated the Kingdom Hearts logo. I did find it odd how the keyblade was removed, but the keychain was still there :lol:. This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Props to Dragon for demonstrating outstanding Skill, surprised DEMON hasn't promoted you or ruffedgz.

Boy, I'm officially rubbish, from being first last month to rock bottom. depressed1-onion-head-emoticon.gif?12928

CnC, please.

Hey, at least you won 2 times. I haven't been able to leave the top 3 places with the lowest scores depressed2-onion-head-emoticon.gif?12928.

I liked that you changed Aqua's hair colour and the usage of blue throughout the sig, but wasn't a fan of the wavy Aqua font. Again, just my opinion so take this with a grain of salt though.

• Like 4

You could start working harder anyway :P Hard work is its own reward or something.

Nah... that sounds too hard. :P I admit, I did rush this entry though (the font was pretty much just thrown in there), I was really preoccupied with Rach's Halloween Event. xD

I do have a question about your sig though, did you forget the second "P" in PSNPROFILES? It looks like "PSNROFILES". :hmm:

Lol, I haven't even won the Novice rank even once... or completed any of my Sig Battle goals yet:

1. Get out of the last 3 places in Novice
  2. Get into the top 3 places in Novice
  3. Win the Novice rank
  4. ???
  5. Profit
  6. Get out of the last 3 places in Pro
  7. Get into the top 3 places in Pro
  8. Win the Pro rank
  9. ??????
  10. Even more profit
  11. Win Elite

Looks like someone has been learning from the Underpants Gnomes. xD

• Like 2

I'm not sure what exactly the grey stuff on the right corner is.  I'm assuming that has something to do with text?  It just looks like it should have been erased as the signature could have looked a lot better without that there.  It really looked like a mistake to me.

The gray stuff was actually on purpose. I thought it looked cool  :lol: This is what it looked like without it.

0Da3HX7.png

I do have a question about your sig though, did you forget the second "P" in PSNPROFILES? It looks like "PSNROFILES". :hmm:

:facepalm: Wow. I did forget the p.

• Like 1

I've been wondering this for a while now, but do people just write something in Japanese or does it actually fit with the theme?

I'm assuming it fits with the theme, I actually like it when sigs have some Japanese in it (even if I can't read it). :P I've been meaning to do it myself with something, just don't know how though, probably just type something into Google Translate & copy/paste... it worked! :blink: 正宗

• Like 1

Congrats to the winners :yay:. Seems that I'm second place again with exactly 4 votes behind .... a pattern is starting to appear.

I'd like some CnC please.

I thought your signature looked really amazing this time Dragon.  Really a step up in skill level.  Like you already know, I thought you had already moved over to Photoshop with this work.

I'll start off with the text as I think it's where the problem area is mainly.  I really like the text you used for Aqua and Kingdom Hearts (well it's the font lol) and how it was applied.  It helped to blend it in really well. :)  But SIG BATTLE VIII was way too big to me and was done with a really "meh" font to me, personally, I never use fonts that are pre-installed in PC for signatures unless it's Impact and it's rare when I even use that.  Anyways, it didn't look as nicely blended as the other text did and I think it would have really benefited from being made smaller than the other text (with the other text moved obviously to suit the difference).  Overall, both yours and ruffed's I wasn't exactly fussed in the text.. it is the hardest area to impress me in though and even cmgravekeeper can tell you this.. my number one complaint with most signatures is the text. lol

I really liked the FX in this.  Like there is some really advanced stuff in here.  If anything, I might have used 0.4 Gaussian Blur on the main C4D in the background.  It looked a bit sharp but still looked good regardless, but what I'm going into here is that it would have made the depth look better and made it look as if it was far away in the background.  It would have helped it seem even more underwater which you were definitely going for with the bubbles and all.

The other main issue is that you made the blue a very bright blue, like on her hair and other areas.  Was a little bit distracting.

I personally thought the lighting in this was really good and detailed, did make it look underwater.

The signature got my vote because I was pretty damn impressed by all the details in it, it was pretty advanced stuff you did.  It could have held it's own with Pro for sure.

Really, just look at the areas you need to improve upon in your signatures and keep practicing, you will eventually win sooner or later if you keep this quality up (and ffs, move onto Photoshop already, now that you have it, it's a hell load better than GIMP.. I want to see what you are capable of with a much better software).

Too bad about the tie-breaker round ending already, but the song was added, so I'm happy :D.

Lol the last SotM thread was created very early, so that miracle might just happen again.

That was too much of a miracle to hope for again. :P

Raven's Japanese text says "Kingdom Hearts" (Kingudamu Hātsu) and Nev's Japanese text says "SoraRiku". Japanese text works out better than using English text at times, for if you see Raven didn't use the Japanese title of Kingdom Hearts, it wouldn't have suited as well.  So sometimes it helps.  Make sure it's correct though.. some of us can read it a bit. :P

Oh yeah, I was supposed to get the render a few days early. Hey Demon I think you forgot something :P. Just kidding, yeah I got it a few days earlier.

• Get out of the last 3 places in Novice
  • Get into the top 3 places in Novice
  • Win the Novice rank
  • ???
  • Profit
  • Get out of the last 3 places in Pro
  • Get into the top 3 places in Pro
  • Win the Pro rank
  • ??????
  • Even more profit
  • Win Elite

You're confident. :D You'll get there Dragon, just keep up what you did here and improve on it and you'll soon win.  Seeing since you said win in Novice once.. and then move right onto Pro.. does that mean you'll be the first to take the promotion chance when it's given, right away? ;)

The gray stuff was actually on purpose. I thought it looked cool  :lol: This is what it looked like without it.

0Da3HX7.png

:facepalm: Wow. I did forget the p.

And that's what you get for always showing my mistakes.. REVENGE! :devil:  But good catch out Masamune.. I didn't even notice that. lol But yea, that version looks better.

I'm assuming it fits with the theme, I actually like it when sigs have some Japanese in it (even if I can't read it). :P I've been meaning to do it myself with something, just don't know how though, probably just type something into Google Translate & copy/paste... it worked! :blink: 正宗

Please don't use Google Translate... :facepalm:

• Like 2

まさむね and マサムネ  look better than 正宗 :P It's also easier to find Japanese fonts that stylize the kana than it is to find the fonts that stylize the kanji. If you're gonna use google translate for them then type each phonetic part with a space between them. So "ma sa mu ne" instead of masamune.

Edited by kuuhaku
  • Like 3

Same here, can't read any Japanese but it looks nice.

I thought your signature looked really amazing this time Dragon.  Really a step up in skill level.  Like you already know, I thought you had already moved over to Photoshop with this work.

I'll start off with the text as I think it's where the problem area is mainly.  I really like the text you used for Aqua and Kingdom Hearts (well it's the font lol) and how it was applied.  It helped to blend it in really well. :)  But SIG BATTLE VIII was way too big to me and was done with a really "meh" font to me, personally, I never use fonts that are pre-installed in PC for signatures unless it's Impact and it's rare when I even use that.  Anyways, it didn't look as nicely blended as the other text did and I think it would have really benefited from being made smaller than the other text (with the other text moved obviously to suit the difference).  Overall, both yours and ruffed's I wasn't exactly fussed in the text.. it is the hardest area to impress me in though and even cmgravekeeper can tell you this.. my number one complaint with most signatures is the text. lol

I really liked the FX in this.  Like there is some really advanced stuff in here.  If anything, I might have used 0.4 Gaussian Blur on the main C4D in the background.  It looked a bit sharp but still looked good regardless, but what I'm going into here is that it would have made the depth look better and made it look as if it was far away in the background.  It would have helped it seem even more underwater which you were definitely going for with the bubbles and all.

The other main issue is that you made the blue a very bright blue, like on her hair and other areas.  Was a little bit distracting.

I personally thought the lighting in this was really good and detailed, did make it look underwater.

The signature got my vote because I was pretty damn impressed by all the details in it, it was pretty advanced stuff you did.  It could have held it's own with Pro for sure.

Really, just look at the areas you need to improve upon in your signatures and keep practicing, you will eventually win sooner or later if you keep this quality up.

Ok thanks a lot for the CnC. Didn't know what to do with the SIG BATTLE VIII text, so just left it there. I thought the neutral font would help offset the special fonts for Aqua and Kingdom Hearts.

Good idea about the C4D blur, didn't think of that :facepalm:

(and ffs, move onto Photoshop already, now that you have it, it's a hell load better than GIMP.. I want to see what you are capable of with a much better software).

GIMP4Life :awesome:.

Raven's Japanese text says "Kingdom Hearts" (Kingudamu Hātsu) and Nev's Japanese text says "SoraRiku". Japanese text works out better than using English text at times, for if you see Raven didn't use the Japanese title of Kingdom Hearts, it wouldn't have suited as well.  So sometimes it helps.  Make sure it's correct though.. some of us can read it a bit. :P

You're confident. :D You'll get there Dragon, just keep up what you did here and improve on it and you'll soon win.  Seeing since you said win in Novice once.. and then move right onto Pro.. does that mean you'll be the first to take the promotion chance when it's given, right away? ;)

Damn, there goes my idea to write random gibberish in Japanese :|.

Well, technically I never specified how many times I should win and there 2 steps between winning Novice and participating in Pro. Besides that I also need to win by using GIMP to obtain the platinum trophy :P.

• Like 1

Ok thanks a lot for the CnC. Didn't know what to do with the SIG BATTLE VIII text, so just left it there. I thought the neutral font would help offset the special fonts for Aqua and Kingdom Hearts.

Good idea about the C4D blur, didn't think of that :facepalm:.

That wasn't what I meant, I meant just don't use one that's so obviously a pre-installed font, install something that looks a bit more premium like GoBold.  It's basic so it allows you to add fancy text along with it.

And don't worry about it too much.  I never once used blur when I was new to signatures either. :P

GIMP4Life :awesome:.

Don't say such ridiculous things.

Damn, there goes my idea to write random gibberish in Japanese :|.

You can always translate Dragon language into Japanese. :P

Well, technically I never specified how many times I should win and there 2 steps between winning Novice and participating in Pro. Besides that I also need to win by using GIMP to obtain the platinum trophy :P.

There's trophies in Signature Battle? Who thought up the shit requirement that you need GIMP for the platinum trophy? Fuck this game.

Congratulations DEMON. Of course it's not shady that you won such a tight contest and avoided the promised 2nd tiebreaker.  :angry:

Just because you couldn't change your vote to make it another tie. :P

Edited by DEMON

Man I am late but anyway.. Congrats DEMON! I did a bit of backreading and that was an intense tie breaker. I was kinda busy so I wasn't able to throw a vote, end result would have been the same lol since I was going to vote for yours.

Oh and congrats also to ruffedgz

Edited by RaveNScythE
  • Like 1

Must be quite lonely, being the only one who likes GIMP better than PS :P

At first I was actually quite fond of GIMP (it's what I started on... well, besides "paint"), even after I tried PS, but once I got used to it & got everything organized how I want, I haven't went back to GIMP since. I even converted all my XCFs to PSDs, & I don't even think I reinstalled it when I redid my PC last month. :P Actually, is Gimp even still being worked on? I think it was 2.8 when I first got it, & it was still 2.8 when I switched to PS. :hmm:

Please don't use Google Translate... :facepalm:

But... but that's the only way I know how to type in Japanese. :( I did notice in PS there's some fonts that show Japanese in the preview (don't know if it came with PS or it was already installed), but when I select it, it still comes up as English.

pDsdHFM.jpg

• Like 1