Uwe Boll retires from making movies!

Maxie_M0us3

Why am I not suprised about all the hate in this thread?

Seriously guys: Watch some of Bolls real movies. He used this Videogames-Licencetrash to rais money for the movies he really wanted to make.

Watch Darfur or the Rampage Trilogy and tell me again that he would be a bad director. Those movies are better than all the bland AAA Hollywood crap.

• Like 1

Seriously guys: Watch some of Bolls real movies. He used this Videogames-Licencetrash to rais money for the movies he really wanted to make.

Watch Darfur or the Rampage Trilogy and tell me again that he would be a bad director. Those movies are better than all the bland AAA Hollywood crap.

hahaha no. relatively decent to his other work but it ends there.

• Like 1

Exactly, he USED video games. Why direct something if you don't care about it? 

If he wants to be a respected director maybe he should make the effort in ALL his movies, not just what he wants to make.

• Like 1

In all honesty, the guy says a lot of stupid shit and I have no idea why so many people let him near their properties (probably because he films in cheap locations and can produce a quick cheap cash in though)

...BUT.

But I thoroughly enjoy the shit out of Postal and have the DVD of it over there, and Rampage was a surprisingly decent movie. I can't remember if Rampage 2 was any good though, I should go watch Rampage 3 some time.

So yeah. The guy can be a tool, a lot, and he's made a shit load of shit movies, but, BUT GOD DAMN IT

There's one movie that's half decent and another movie that's so stupid it's a little fun to laugh at. So that.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/27/13433550/uwe-boll-retires

Finally our nightmare is over! The infamous Uwe Boll knows as the "worst director ever" for terrible video game based movies such as Alone In the Dark, House of the Dead, Postal or Far Cry finally retires from making movies! :D

It is such a relief as our life of gamer to see less crappy game based movies! What are you thoughts guys?

You do know that there were crappy video game based movies before Boll and there will be crappy ones after him right? I mean how many actual good videogame movies are there?

There are very few I can stand and only one I consider "good" and that is the Street Fighter film which is only "good" because it is so terrible.

I've heard that his cinema career was a money laundering scheme.

Kind of. It was a German Tax Law that if your money didn't make its money back then the backers would get their full investment back. So basically his friends donated to his films...they bombed...and then they all got their money back. So everyone involved in the film made out like bandits.

It is actually the plot to the Producers...just played out in real life

Exactly, he USED video games. Why direct something if you don't care about it? 

If he wants to be a respected director maybe he should make the effort in ALL his movies, not just what he wants to make.

Well he made them because it made him money. Do you really thing that 50% of directors actually give a shit about what they are directing. If it makes them money to either fund a side project that they care about OR just fund money to let them live their lifestyle they will do it. It is no different than working a job you hate for a paycheque

Edited by Dr_Mayus

Well he made them because it made him money. Do you really thing that 50% of directors actually give a shit about what they are directing. If it makes them money to either fund a side project that they care about OR just fund money to let them live their lifestyle they will do it. It is no different than working a job you hate for a paycheque

I can't disagree with you there. I'm sure a lot of them don't care about being respected either. After seeing his meltdown because his crowd funder went bust I don't respect him. He's not the only director that's made crappy video game movies, but he's made himself the poster child. 

I saw "Postal" on sale for $5 so figured I would try it. The movie is advertised as "highly offensive" but I really had no idea how bad it was going to be. The only part I laughed at was when the guy who created the "Postal" video games attacks Uwe Boll for making this movie ...

He's a bad director.

And he makes movies based off really bad games. You start with bad, I have no idea why some of you expect the result won't be bad. Far Cry, Postal, Bloodrayne, House of the Dead, those aren't exactly well-written games. They're all D-tier games in terms of writing. Far Cry didn't gain much popularity until 3 due to them actually hiring a decent writer (and even then it was just a copy of Heart of Darkness), and Postal is only well-known for Postal 2. Postal 1 and 3 are basically terrible.

I never even heard of the guy until I watched Nostagia Critics review of Alone in the Dark, link below if anyone wants to watch, it's a good laugh. He usually makes films based on video games, I tend to avoid those like the plague so that's probably why I've never heard of him xD. He's a horrible person and I hope he stays retired, but with an ego like his.. I'm sure he'll be back making shit movies again pretty soon. 

You do know that there were crappy video game based movies before Boll and there will be crappy ones after him right? I mean how many actual good videogame movies are there?

There are very few I can stand and only one I consider "good" and that is the Street Fighter film which is only "good" because it is so terrible.

Kind of. It was a German Tax Law that if your money didn't make its money back then the backers would get their full investment back. So basically his friends donated to his films...they bombed...and then they all got their money back. So everyone involved in the film made out like bandits.

It is actually the plot to the Producers...just played out in real life

Actually, yes, I do believe that most directors care. Watch the making of for most movies and it's obvious that the overwhelming majority do care about their projects. Yes, making money is the end goal l, but for the majority of directors it is about the journey to that goal.

Actually, yes, I do believe that most directors care. Watch the making of for most movies and it's obvious that the overwhelming majority do care about their projects. Yes, making money is the end goal l, but for the majority of directors it is about the journey to that goal.

No most are hired to do a job and very very few are actually in it for the art. I mean you can like the project you worked on...that doesn't mean you cared.

There are people like Wes Anderson, The Coens, Darren Aronofsky, Refn, Jim Jarmusch, Stanley Kubrick etc that create films they want pretty much from the ground up. Those names are rare and hard to come by because for the most part a Director is just someone you contracted to complete your film because it falls into their body of work.

No most are hired to do a job and very very few are actually in it for the art. I mean you can like the project you worked on...that doesn't mean you cared.

There are people like Wes Anderson, The Coens, Darren Aronofsky, Refn, Jim Jarmusch, Stanley Kubrick etc that create films they want pretty much from the ground up. Those names are rare and hard to come by because for the most part a Director is just someone you contracted to complete your film because it falls into their body of work.

James Cameron

Peter Jackson

Ridley Scott

Chris Columbus

J.J. Abrams

Quintin Tarantino

Robert Zemeckis

Michael Mann

Robert Eggers

All of them love their job and that love and care is evident in every film they make. Sure not every single movie is a critical or commercial success, but the point is, for these guys, making a movie is more than making money. It is a way to tell a story, a way to draw in audiences to the world you want to create.

Directors like Uwe Boll have tarnished the art of film making and what it means to be a director. Don't let his piss poor example smear your idea of what a director is. Most of them are nothing like him.

James Cameron

Peter Jackson

Ridley Scott

Chris Columbus

J.J. Abrams

Quintin Tarantino

Robert Zemeckis

Michael Mann

Robert Eggers

All of them love their job and that love and care is evident in every film they make. Sure not every single movie is a critical or commercial success, but the point is, for these guys, making a movie is more than making money. It is a way to tell a story, a way to draw in audiences to the world you want to create.

Directors like Uwe Boll have tarnished the art of film making and what it means to be a director. Don't let his piss poor example smear your idea of what a director is. Most of them are nothing like him.

Yes...but that is why I put etc. There are thousands of directors out there and we named about 2 dozen. That would make it the minority.

Listen I am a film graduate...I think I know a thing about film. For every Krzysztof Kieślowski who painstakingly researches which sugar cube will take exactly 5 seconds to dissolve in a cup of coffee to ensure his scene is perfect...there are 100s of directors that are just shooting an action movie or romantic comedy and they don't care which romantic comedy it is...as long as there is a paycheque.

Like I said they probably had fun shooting the film...or maybe they didn't...but there is a HUGE difference between a director that is in it for the Art of Film and one that is just doing his/her job.

• Like 2

James Cameron

Peter Jackson

Ridley Scott

Chris Columbus

J.J. Abrams

Quintin Tarantino

Robert Zemeckis

Michael Mann

Robert Eggers

Yes...but that is why I put etc. There are thousands of directors out there and we named about 2 dozen. That would make it the minority.

Listen I am a film graduate...I think I know a thing about film. For every Krzysztof Kieślowski who painstakingly researches which sugar cube will take exactly 5 seconds to dissolve in a cup of coffee to ensure his scene is perfect...there are 100s of directors that are just shooting an action movie or romantic comedy and they don't care which romantic comedy it is...as long as there is a paycheque.

Like I said they probably had fun shooting the film...or maybe they didn't...but there is a HUGE difference between a director that is in it for the Art of Film and one that is just doing his/her job.

Of course, most people with jobs (whatever they are) do still care that the end product is of good quality. Doesn't matter if you're a film director, a doctor, a programmer, a teacher or a baker but you should always care about the quality of your work.

Of course that's not true for everyone by far but to say that the majority of film makers does not care for the product they make is just silly, especially as it's a product by product job, if you do a bad job then odds of you getting another one get slimmer and slimmer. And even the people who do care can make something just for the money (not a director but Sigourney Weaver in Alien Resurrection is a good example) will often still try to do their best. There is a big difference between "doing it just for the art" and "caring about the product you make". Christopher Nolan did the Dark Knight trilogy for the money so he could make stuff like The Prestige and Inception, but that doesn't mean he didn't give Batman all he had.

Oh, and since this apparently matters in this conversation, yes I studied film as well (also mathematics and business economics, math was my main target with the other two being stuff on the side).

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1