Interesting in Playing but Unsure if it is Worth it

I really want to play this game and try out a new MMO but I also don't want to play if the community is lacking as the fun of an MMO comes mostly from its playerbase (to me anyways)

Is it a healthy community still? Is there anything that a new person playing today is forever locked out of? Like critical things, not cosmetics. How active is the developer team? Do they do holiday events?

If I pay the price on the ticket essentially what I'm asking is will it be worth my time?

Community is probably the best that you can get in MMOs, although I would recommend you to stay away from Balmung. Make sure to not choose low pop server too, it can lock you out of some content.

New player won't have any issues, as developers make end-game players constantly go through old content, so you will always find someone to run old dungeons with.

All major holidays get their special events, although sometimes they're lacking in substance.

Literally hundreds of hours of content.  Player base is there and extremely friendly and helpful.  Play as a tank for fastest queues.  

Yes, it is worth the money.

This is reassuring to hear. Now I want people to understand that I don't want to play this solely for trophies too.

Community is probably the best that you can get in MMOs, although I would recommend you to stay away from Balmung. Make sure to not choose low pop server too, it can lock you out of some content.

Do you mean that there is locked out content in the sense that if not enough people don't help in X quest you can't possibly access the content beyond it?

I own this game and put close to 180 hours into it. Not an impressive number when it comes to this genre, sure, but trust me, it's well worth far more than that. Simply put, ARR is incredible. The base game alone is well worth your money, and the Heavensward expansion pack adds hundreds and hundreds of more hours worth of content.

Don't worry about the player base. Final Fantasy XIV is the biggest MMO on the market and has the player base to prove it - over 6 million current subscribers across Windows, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, excluding free trial members. It has a very healthy community that is both inviting, helpful and very friendly, with many players more than willing to help newcomers grind out levels, participate in raids, complete quests and build up guilds.

Final Fantasy XIV is an endearing and wonderful experience if you love Final Fantasy, and more-so if you love MMOs.

Edited by Darth Remi
  • Like 4

Do you mean that there is locked out content in the sense that if not enough people don't help in X quest you can't possibly access the content beyond it?

For example, some servers don't have enough pop to kill roaming bosses. It's not critical for your progression though.

Literally hundreds of hours of content.  Player base is there and extremely friendly and helpful.  Play as a tank for fastest queues.  

Yes, it is worth the money.

Hundreds? I think you mean thousands. :P

But I will also say yes, it's a fun game to play, have played it since it came out. :)

For example, some servers don't have enough pop to kill roaming bosses. It's not critical for your progression though.

That's not true.  World Bosses can be killed on any world.  They are scaled down to the amount of players it usually takes to defeat it, so even if you are not on one of the most populated servers.. everything is still possible.

And yes, there's Holiday events, the last Halloween event they did a special dungeon in that where you had to run about and find stuff/solve clues. :)

There is duty finder, you can use that, pairs you up with 3 random players for a dungeon, so no one is locked out of anything.  If anything at all, players who are end game should be helping the newer players these days as we get bonus things for it.

• Like 1

Any MMO that can survive on its subscription model is well alive and kicking. When they go free to play is when you should start worrying about the player base. I've been playing FFXIV for quite a while and love it. Some servers are so full they don't allow new players, so no problems there. The community is a weird mix between MMO-fans and FF-fans. The game does a great job at explaining MMO tactics (there are even NPC hosted 'lessons' for every role) and it's just a blast to play. It even has a really fleshed out main story. Cinematics, the whole shebang. The atmosphere is amazing too. Think about the setting of FF9 mixed with the one from FF12.

After playing for the week I enjoy this game. I've tried out all the rafting classes and I few of them are really fun. I like fishing and mining inparticular. I'm still getting used to it buuuut if you're interested in my character, http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/15844879/

Any tips would be great. I may take a break off of the main quest for awhile and do a few days of mining