Titanfall 2 sells less than a quarter of its predecessor's launch + mini-review

StrickenBiged

Honestly, I didn't even realize it was out. Seems like the first one had more marketing as compared to this one.

Seems like a fun game though, would definitely pick it up sometime soon. Although they should have chosen a better release window where there aren't as many games coming out, because so many good games usually come out during this time period.

• Like 1

I was on the fence about buying the game, but I don't really like MP shooters that much and the beta wasn't fun. The campaign look like it's okay, but without something else like a co-op horde or something the game doesn't seem worth $45 when I could buy COD IW with a campaign that looks just as okay and a co-op horde for the same price.

But the game does look better then Battlefield 1.

Guess I'm the only one who is subscribed to several gaming-centric channels where I've watched or seen posted about 30 videos in the last week alone. Played the MP Beta.

As for enough advertisement for the "average Joe Doe" I understand, but for trophy hunters or gaming aficionados, I mean come on, You-freaking-Tube. 

Guess I'm the only one who is subscribed to several gaming-centric channels where I've watched or seen posted about 30 videos in the last week alone. Played the MP Beta.

As for enough advertisement for the "average Joe Doe" I understand, but for trophy hunters or gaming aficionados, I mean come on, You-freaking-Tube. 

Large number of people with adblock won't see youtube advertisements. 

I was on the fence about buying the game, but I don't really like MP shooters that much and the beta wasn't fun. The campaign look like it's okay, but without something else like a co-op horde or something the game doesn't seem worth $45 when I could buy COD IW with a campaign that looks just as okay and a co-op horde for the same price.

But the game does look better then Battlefield 1.

I haven't played BF1 yet so I can't comment on that. 

I agree, some sort of co-op PvE mode would have been excellent. Whether the game had one was the first thing another friend of mine asked me when we caught up with one another this weekend. 

The story in this campaign wouldn't have supported co-op though. Without getting too spoilery, the focus is definitely on the relationship between pilot and titan, and co-op would have distracted from that. Co-op would've had to have been a whole other mode. 

I'm subbed to a number of similar channels - PowerPyx, PS4Trophies, Jim Sterling, The Know, etc. The first Titanfall ad I saw was last night. RNG, eh? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, I realise that you don't see ads based on RNGs. They're smarter than that... 

Edited by StrickenBiged

Advertising costs a huge amount. Often, the advertising budget for a big game can eclipse the development budget. If market research shows that a return on that investment might not be good, then EA would be correct to abandon advertising for the game - particularly since this year, more than any other in over a decade, early talk about Battlefield has been overwhelmingly positive and CoD overwhelmingly negative.

This is without a doubt, the most important year for EA to market the shit out of Battlefield. My guess is that as much as they would like Titanfall to do well, the fate of a second tier shooter is less important than the possibility of taking control of the first tier battle. If they play this one right, Activision will be put on the back foot for the first time since CoD4.

All marketing funds in EA will be geared towards this - at the expense of all other shooters.

(I say this, BTW, as an outsider looking in. Im not particularly interested in Battlefield, Titanfall or CoD)

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

I really think that Titanfall 2 will be a casualty because EA see blood with Call of Duty being week this year. From what I played the single player is AWESOME!!! The time shift chapter was amazing. But releasing so close to BF1 is a mistake. This game would of done alot better releasing first part of 2017. I love this game so far and LOVE BF1 but Titanfall 2 will be the loser because of how EA handled the marketing and release date. 

• Like 1

(I say this, BTW, as an outsider looking in. Im not particularly interested in Battlefield, Titanfall or CoD)

I'd say: be interested in TiF2. It's campaign is genuinely enjoyable (even if not particularly groundbreaking in any respect) and, judging from your profile, we have similar tastes in games so I think you'd get a kick out of it. ;)

• Like 1

Large number of people with adblock won't see youtube advertisements. 

I'm subbed to a number of similar channels - PowerPyx, PS4Trophies, Jim Sterling, The Know, etc. The first Titanfall ad I saw was last night. RNG, eh? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, I realise that you don't see ads based on RNGs. They're smarter than that... 

Oh, think we're not in the same page here. I never see ADs anywhere as I block with Adblock etc and on the core (router, manually).

I was referring to Youtube videos, since someone mentioned (being well, a trophy hunter) they barely knew the game existed, hence I replied saying that well, freaking YouTube. All gaming channels have posted Titanfall videos. This is basically Titanfall week.

So it baffles me how someone wouldn't be aware of the existence of this game, unless you don't watch youtube, don't follow blogs (not even the official PS Blog), use Facebook only for baby pictures and so on.

As for ADs, no idea. It's been a while since I've seen any of those things on any kind of media, except for clickbait on Facebook from time to time.

• 1 month later...