Let's talk PS4 mods.

CrimsonFalzar

So, before we get into it let it be stated before some hardasses come in and have a problem with my post I love the elder scrolls and I love skyrim there both an amazing game and company.

Now that that's said let's talk about these mods...
These mods Don't feel like mods to me. All they feel like is cheat codes God armor God this god that, infinite gold, all items this all items that. Not to mention when people upload the same mods 3 times with different names...
Now there are a few ... very few cool mods. But at this point I feel so limited that I don't even want to turn mods on because there is no point I like playing the game not getting everything at the start of the game.
I feel like this is giving ps players a bad taste of what mods are supposed to be TBH. I mean look at the post when they said mods weren't coming. A lot of people weren't happy because they thought it was cheats stuff along that line.

Anyways, please feel free to share your thoughts on this matter how you feel about the mods we have gotten so far and mods you believe we will get in the future. Also to the one person who been running around the skyrim posts please if your gonna be negitive don't bother posting. It's not wanted.

Edited by ChastityFail
  • Like 1

I think PS4 has the best type of mod support. By only allowing people to use already existing assets, there's no chance of shit like Thomas The Tank Engine being thrown into the game and polluting it with filth.

I still think we'd be better off without mods at all, but PS4 allows the closest thing to the developer's original intentions, even if it has been altered and messed with it's still much better than the alternative available on other gaming devices.

I think PS4 has the best type of mod support. By only allowing people to use already existing assets, there's no chance of shit like Thomas The Tank Engine being thrown into the game and polluting it with filth.

I still think we'd be better off without mods at all, but PS4 allows the closest thing to the developer's original intentions, even if it has been altered and messed with it's still much better than the alternative available on other gaming devices.

I see your points here and I guess your right but it always stops mods that aren't very harmful like more immersive spells for the game and things like that.

When I played on PC I hated mods that took the immersion out of the game. But there is mods that take the lore of skyrim the lore of elder scrolls in general and add that lore to skyrim. Which they can't do with the mod support they have now I guess it's a double edge sword.

• Like 1

No, bullshit and you know it.

Its Bethesda's will to allow players to unleash their creativity through mod support and mod tools. Sony not allowing that is Sony cock blocking their will. 

• Like 4

Somebody doesn't get how a mod works. You download a mod, and then enable it or disable it before running the game.

I get that you're worried about games with online, so then don't allow it in such cases, or limit what is allowed...

Developers like Bethesda intends for games like The Elder Scrolls to be modded. We know this because they make official very comprehensive creation/modding tools for the games.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 3

I see your points here and I guess your right but it always stops mods that aren't very harmful like more immersive spells for the game and things like that.

When I played on PC I hated mods that took the immersion out of the game. But there is mods that take the lore of skyrim the lore of elder scrolls in general and add that lore to skyrim. Which they can't do with the mod support they have now I guess it's a double edge sword.

Every mod is entirely optional. Sometimes I want to go on a massive 19 hour adventure for free. Other times I want to watch Thomas the Tank Engine vs Partharrux. There is no reason to limit what mods could do; no matter the type of mod it is. Its not a double edged sword because that implies your experience being inherently hurt somehow.

• Like 1

Somebody doesn't get how a mod works. You download a mod, and then enable it or disable it before running the game.

I get that you're worried about games with online, so then don't allow it in such cases, or limit what is allowed...

Developers like Bethesda intends for games like The Elder's Scroll to be modded. We know this because they make official very comprehensive creation/modding tools for the games.

I realize that mods are optional, but even if I don't use them they still negatively effect me.

>Achievements become totally irrelevant. I could put hours into 100%ing Skyrim, but someone else just downloaded a mod and earned them all really quickly, so what was even the point?

>Discussion becomes less about the game and more about the mods. There was a thread on another forum recently where someone was asking whether they should play vanilla Skyrim (they've never played it before), or install mods before playing. Everyone recommended downloading mods. So that person will no longer be able to discuss the game with someone who hasn't downloaded any mods, because they're playing two different games.

It's a shame we'll never get some of the survival mods

And some of the mods even added whole areas with huge questlines and tonnes to do

Sony has majorly dropped the ball here and it's even more insulting that the remaster has glitches from day one, five years ago

Its currently the worst remaster to date ad it really offers full all to make it any different to the original versions

Unless you count even more bugs and glitches as 'features'

Fuck Bethesda never buying another game from them again

• Like 1

I realize that mods are optional, but even if I don't use them they still negatively effect me.

>Achievements become totally irrelevant. I could put hours into 100%ing Skyrim, but someone else just downloaded a mod and earned them all really quickly, so what was even the point?

You still don't understand the fact that mods disable trophies/cheevos on every available platform?

• Like 3

I would say anyone having a problem with making a mod not using outside assets suffers from a lack of imagination and/or technical know-how. When I was part of the Morrowind modding community around 2004, the large part of the people releasing mods was like me: no microphone, no graphic arts skills, no special arts software. Still, people could come up with a decent quest like the Muck Shovel of Vivec. Or expand the castle of Ebonheart into a legit city.

Here, here's a legit idea I had for a mod, but lack the know-how to pull off right now: radiant bounty contracts from the Hold's Jarls usually rotate between 3-4 locations. The same 4 radiant locations. Falkreath Hold has 43 named locations. 43 locations where you could kill a bandit, slay a dragon, fry a troll, rescue a peasant, fetch a widget. Give people a reason to walk off the beaten track to a location they haven't been to before. There you go, widen the variety of miscellaneous bounty objectives.

Here's one I'm working on: Elder Scrolls games all have in-game books, but not all of them make it into the next game and they all add to the in-universe lore. Some people actually like collecting these, it's why the Library addition for your homestead is a thing. Because Bethesda saw there was a demand based on the mods made for games like Morrowind. I'm going to work on adding these missing books into the game.

Another one: I find it odd that you're holding what's basically a small fief under a feudal lord, but can't derive any income from it like a real land holder (outside of your spouse's shop earnings). Why not create the ability to plant a field, hire workers to tend it, and be able to sell your crop to a traveling merchant? Expand on your livestock as well. On top of that, you could have a Jarl's tax collector periodically hit you up to pay taxes on your land earnings. The Jarl already assesses a tax on inheritances from people who know you.

Three. Three ideas for a mod that's not a cheat code, and I didn't even try really hard.

EDIT

Here's another one: I used to see people do things like expand the size of villages in Morrowind to make them more lively. One added a large docks area and a number of ships to the starting port of Seyda Neen in Morrowind. Another added in a sort of Waterworld-style platform slum to the water areas in between the cantons of the holy city of Vivec. Another added in some actual quests to the two backwaters on the Bitter Coast, Hla Oad and Gnaar Mok. Actually gave you a reason to go there that didn't involve a faction quest. There was a big project to expand Ebonheart into a real city. All of those used in game assets. You got a few villages in Skyrim where nothing really happens. Give people a reason to visit Dragon Bridge that doesn't involve further transit to Solitude.

Another: For being in the midst of a civil war, Skyrim is quiet. There's camps for both sides scattered around, headed by an officer. Why can't you script some radiant quests for your chosen side out of those camps? Slaughter this cavalry troop, rescue this prisoner being transported, hold that bridge, relieve this war party that's under attack. There's already provisions in place for couriers to find you, you could receive a dispatch while already out in the field. Doesn't need outside assets.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 4

Another: For being in the midst of a civil war, Skyrim is quiet. There's camps for both sides scattered around, headed by an officer. Why can't you script some radiant quests for your chosen side out of those camps? Slaughter this cavalry troop, rescue this prisoner being transported, hold that bridge, relieve this war party that's under attack. There's already provisions in place for couriers to find you, you could receive a dispatch while already out in the field. Doesn't need outside assets.

This. Even the simplest longer quest can't be made because of Sony not allowing scripts. Only simple fetch quests or bounties an be done.

I hope to see someone really going all out testing the limits what can be done with the restrictions and come up with something pretty awesome.

• Like 1

This was one of the most mind-boggling things in my playthrough of Skyrim. I mean, what's the point of the big cease-fire? As far as I could tell, no one was really fighting, anyway (sure, there were some forward camps and the like, but nothing suggesting that a ceasefire was needed, let alone desperately).

This could be a nice use for mods.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 2

It's a shame we'll never get some of the survival mods

And some of the mods even added whole areas with huge questlines and tonnes to do

Sony has majorly dropped the ball here and it's even more insulting that the remaster has glitches from day one, five years ago

Its currently the worst remaster to date ad it really offers full all to make it any different to the original versions

Unless you count even more bugs and glitches as 'features'

Fuck Bethesda never buying another game from them again

I bought an Xbox one just for the mods on this game and fallout 4. I recommend you do the same if you really want then.

Edited by EliteGamer1983

>Discussion becomes less about the game and more about the mods. There was a thread on another forum recently where someone was asking whether they should play vanilla Skyrim (they've never played it before), or install mods before playing. Everyone recommended downloading mods. So that person will no longer be able to discuss the game with someone who hasn't downloaded any mods, because they're playing two different games.

Achievements become totally irrelevant is a really poor argument. You know this, because we've talked about it before. I got no idea why you even bring it up, because you know the response... If it's an issue, just disable trophies when game is run with mods and for saves made with mods running.

What makes you think they are playing a totally different game? Usually it's things like a big house or dungeon placed in an empty location out in the wilderness, some new NPCs and quest lines. Or maybe some secret new stuff is placed around in the game? Maybe new stuff is added. Maybe something looks better?

It rarely ever ruins the core game or change it to the point that two people who has played the game gets their game ruined. It was intended by the creators too. You got a massive world, you don't want mods that mess with the main game, but rather adds in something extra like new cool quest lines, locations or NPCs etc, which does little other than add to the main experience and extend the game's lifespan.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

Don't like a mod? Don't install it. That's all there is to it, you can choose whether you want lore friendly mods, others or no mods at all. If it ends up 'polluted', it's due to what you installed and your own responsibility. And if that's what you want in your game, it's perfectly fine. Mods give the players the chance to express their creativity, Sony doesn't understand it and restricts the creators with their limitations.

But there are good ideas in this thread. They would be good additions to the world. It really doesn't feel like a civil war, the Stormcloaks and the Imperials are not really doing anything unless the Dragonborn sides with one party. The vampires are a lot more active, they killed quite a few people in the cities on my main savegame.

Now, as of the existing mods... I have no idea. I'm aiming on the trophies first and the mods later (if I still feel like playing it). I haven't even looked at the mods.

• Like 2

General response to a few ideas regarding the creator's original vision that I've occasionally seen float around on these forums...

The creator's original vision ideally will come through with the product they release, although there is never any guarantee that their vision will be communicated to others, because art is entirely subjective, and there is no way to control how others perceive a work of art. As someone interested in working in a creative field, I perceive this as being a good thing. Without getting too side tracked, it is the goal of developers such as Bethesda to try and communicate their vision as accurately as they can in the product they create. What people do afterwards is out of everyone's control. 

Modifications to their original game, "Mods", were never part of Bethesda's original vision for the game, but that doesn't mean that they are necessarily against this. In fact, Bethesda has demonstrated many times the exact opposite, that they appreciate and want to encourage fan creations that reconstruct their game into something new. Those mods would have never been created if it wasn't for the fact that the mod creators already care about the original product. This desire to modify, to change, and to add is a great form of flattery to the original creators. 

When Bethesda provides support for mods in their games, they are giving their official approval to reconstruct their product and to create a new experience with it. Anyone who wants to see Bethesda's original vision can do so by playing the vanilla game, while those who want to see the new experiences and creations that can be made are able to easily do so now. 

• Like 1

I do this enough times in the chat but here we go:

-Do you earn achievements for your own satisfaction or for some kind of e-peen stroke? i'm assuming its the former. Other than the fact that hacking trophies and achievements happens on mod less games and closed systems like PSN and XBLA; just don't hack them yourself and earn them legit. Do it for your own enjoyment.

-Bogus exaggeration. A lot of mods aren't complete revamps of the very core of the game they're balancing fixes, UI overhauls, patches, base game content that's expanded upon etc etc. Even a super heavily modded Skyrim is still well...Skyrim. Base game isn't going anywhere.

General response to a few ideas regarding the creator's original vision that I've occasionally seen float around on these forums...

The creator's original vision ideally will come through with the product they release, although there is never any guarantee that their vision will be communicated to others, because art is entirely subjective, and there is no way to control how others perceive a work of art. As someone interested in working in a creative field, I perceive this as being a good thing. Without getting too side tracked, it is the goal of developers such as Bethesda to try and communicate their vision as accurately as they can in the product they create. What people do afterwards is out of everyone's control. 

Modifications to their original game, "Mods", were never part of Bethesda's original vision for the game, but that doesn't mean that they are necessarily against this. In fact, Bethesda has demonstrated many times the exact opposite, that they appreciate and want to encourage fan creations that reconstruct their game into something new. Those mods would have never been created if it wasn't for the fact that the mod creators already care about the original product. This desire to modify, to change, and to add is a great form of flattery to the original creators. 

When Bethesda provides support for mods in their games, they are giving their official approval to reconstruct their product and to create a new experience with it. Anyone who wants to see Bethesda's original vision can do so by playing the vanilla game, while those who want to see the new experiences and creations that can be made are able to easily do so now. 

Even if the develops don't support mods or don't particularly swing either way, the original vision is still there. People downloading mods won't overwrite Bethesda's sorry excuse for a story or their ''artistic vision'' if you want vanilla vanilla will always be there. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 11/4/2016 at 10:34 AM, madbuk said:

I could put hours into 100%ing Skyrim, but someone else just downloaded a mod and earned them all really quickly, so what was even the point?

On 11/4/2016 at 3:24 PM, ChastityFail said:

Mods turn off trophies anyway.

Wait, so which is it? Do mods disable trophies or no?

9 hours ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

Wait, so which is it? Do mods disable trophies or no?

They're supposed to disable trophies/achievements, which is good, but then people (on Xbox, at least, dunno about PS) created mods that enabled achievements to be earned while playing with mods -_-