So... now even such games have platinum

Just_Amaz1ng

???

The engineer that is in charge of adding trophies to PS2 games on PS4 (At least at the time) said that the rules for platinum's changed recently.

One of the developers of Cook, Serve, Delicious! said that adding a platinum to games isn't a issue anymore

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=16875

A developer behind the Vita port of Lumines, explaining why the game didn't have a platinum:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174473424&postcount=142

One of the developers of Lab Zero (Skullgirls) saying that he didn't even need to ask to add a platinum for Skullgirls 2nd Encore

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174482559&postcount=183

And Gaf is one of the few places where I actually trust when developers claim they're devs, since if you can't prove it to the mods, you'll get banned

None of those posts factually clarify anything about your point. They're completely vague anecdotes and NONE of them state "There's no restrictions for trophy lists anymore, so devs can just put Platinums on any game they want."

None of those posts factually clarify anything about your point. They're completely vague anecdotes and NONE of them state "There's no restrictions for trophy lists anymore, so devs can just put Platinums on any game they want."

What do you want, a Sony rep to write an article about how trophies work?

Seriously, if you want I'll ask them directly for more info

What do you want, a Sony rep to write an article about how trophies work?

Seriously, if you want I'll ask them directly for more info

How about get and post the actual Sony dev trophy guidelines? If you're the one person who manages to get that, you'll have managed to do what many people before you have failed. THEN we can have a discussion about the facts.

How about get and post the actual Sony dev trophy guidelines? If you're the one person who manages to get that, you'll have managed to do what many people before you have failed. THEN we can have a discussion about the facts.

That's confidential, tho. Even if I somehow got my hands on it, it's not like I would be able to post them.

Don't people want to be judged though?  Why else are the most popular topics about sharing your latest trophy accomplishments?  Why are half the status updates stuff like "Platinum #157 and #158 - My Name is Mayo"?  Why is there an entire subforum dedicated to people making their own platinum lists to show off? People put their accomplishments out there because they want to share, and not everyone is going to pat you on the back when you achieve that 100th platinum and your library is full of games like My Name Is Mayo and Barbie and Friends Pet Rescue.  Personally, I don't care what other people do or what is in their profiles, just saying that if you put yourself out there expecting cheers, you can't be afraid of a few jeers as well.

I don't think judged is the right word here. Social media was not created to be an outlet for shaming, but that is largely what it has become. Sites like this can be a fun place for people to come together, support each other, provide encouragement and help, or just to tear others down for how they choose to enjoy their hobby.

People are entitled to their opinions, but it does speak volumes of an individual's integrity and personal self esteem if they can only feel better about themselves by trying to put someone else down.

• Like 4

There's no restrictions for trophy lists anymore, so devs can just put Platinums on any game they want.

But, since there was a restriction, developers sometimes get scared of having the game rejected by Sony for having a platinum so they made a smaller one (I think there was one developer who did that).

Also, adding trophies can bring bugs too, which demands more QA. Some publishers might feel like it's not worth the effort and cost

- True, except for F2P games, you can have a platinum as long as your trophies are attached to a gameplay action ("hit a mayo jar X times" being one).

- You don't get rejected, you don't have to submit the game to have your trophy list accepted, but you have to give a definition of how you unlock each trophy.

- Yes and no. You have to implement a way to detect when the trophy is supposed to unlock and unless it is complicated or you are a bad programmer, you should not introduce new bugs to your game. QA though, has to make sure every trophy is unlocking at all time so yes, it costs more.

Basically, complaining to Sony for a lack of platinum in anything but a F2P is stupid and the complaint should be addressed to the dev.

Edited by vincenth69
  • Like 2

There's no restrictions for trophy lists anymore, so devs can just put Platinums on any game they want.

But, since there was a restriction, developers sometimes get scared of having the game rejected by Sony for having a platinum so they made a smaller one (I think there was one developer who did that).

Also, adding trophies can bring bugs too, which demands more QA. Some publishers might feel like it's not worth the effort and cost

This is completely false.

• Like 1

Why? What is wrong with cheap games?  Why would it matter if the game is easy/short and has a platinum?

You don't have to buy it. It doesn't have to 'cheapen' your trophy list.

Since the Vita is getting fewer releases, I for one would welcome having more games brought across from other platforms. Even if they are shorter mobile games, or Steam games.

Choice is never bad, and having inexpensive options is always nice.

I do not understand why anyone would NOT want this?

Look at the mess that steam its right now becouse of "cheap" and "easy" games....i just hope that this will not open the flood gates for this kind of "games"

Look at the mess that steam its right now becouse of "cheap" and "easy" games....i just hope that this will not open the flood gates for this kind of "games"

As long as it's entertaining then it really shouldn't matter. "Cheap" and "easy" games can provide just as much as fun as major triple A releases. Buy them for whatever purpose you want them for but I welcome these. 

• Like 1

As long as it's entertaining then it really shouldn't matter. "Cheap" and "easy" games can provide just as much as fun as major triple A releases. Buy them for whatever purpose you want them for but I welcome these. 

Definitely but this is another level.

I mean even games like megamind or hannah montana can be kind of "excused" if you share your account with your child or you have

a weird obsession with bad games. But this crap takes the cake. This defines everyone as trophy whore and not as someone who cares about achieving anything!

I actually can't stand that a game like this has a platinum. This is not even a game, this is nothing. So at first sight, someone with a trophy card that displays over 100 platinums

looks great. Then you look into it and see 5 times sound shapes, 2 times this crap, terminator salvation, 4 times the walking dead and so on! "Wow what a great player he or she is"

Games like this water down the actual achievement of platinums.

How I stated before, there is nothing wrong with easy games, especially if they're good like some people feel about telltale games.

Highly subjective but the existence of "games" like that is atrocious.

How can you not feel shitty "playing" this?

• Like 4

I still think thar this game its extremely dangerous...this can make the psn store

.turn in to the mess that its steam right now

im not hating on the game..i just hope that Sony dont open the gates to anyone like steam did ans we don get flooded with 99cenr "games" selling just for the sake of the plat..becouse we all know that people will by them.

A trully dangerous possible outcome with the sucess of this "game".

• Like 3

Definitely but this is another level.

I mean even games like megamind or hannah montana can be kind of "excused" if you share your account with your child or you have

a weird obsession with bad games. But this crap takes the cake. This defines everyone as trophy whore and not as someone who cares about achieving anything!

Not everyone who plays games is doing it for a challenge or about "achieving something". Some folks are trophy whores about certain games if this is not the proper website for it then where?

I actually can't stand that a game like this has a platinum. This is not even a game, this is nothing. So at first sight, someone with a trophy card that displays over 100 platinums

looks great. Then you look into it and see 5 times sound shapes, 2 times this crap, terminator salvation, 4 times the walking dead and so on! "Wow what a great player he or she is"

Games like this water down the actual achievement of platinums.

Not all of us are using our trophy cards to show how skilled we are. A trophy card is just a library of games that someone has played and how much of those games they have completed. And yes although a megamind platinum and a Max Payne 3 platinum are worth the same 180 points people do know the skill difference between the two  so i'm not sure how a game like this water down a platinum when there is a percentage displayed right next to the trophy showing how rare it is.

Does it bother you that this bothers you so much?