So... now even such games have platinum

Just_Amaz1ng

Not everyone who plays games is doing it for a challenge or about "achieving something". Some folks are trophy whores about certain games if this is not the proper website for it then where?

Not all of us are using our trophy cards to show how skilled we are. A trophy card is just a library of games that someone has played and how much of those games they have completed. And yes although a megamind platinum and a Max Payne 3 platinum are worth the same 180 points people do know the skill difference between the two  so i'm not sure how a game like this water down a platinum when there is a percentage displayed right next to the trophy showing how rare it is.

Does it bother you that this bothers you so much?

Actually it does :) Come on this whole site is mainly about bragging with platinums. Otherwise we wouldn't have threads like "most recent platinum" and so on. 

So the first thing you see is the trophy card, which will look impressing and then it's actually nothing. It's like a super hot looking woman with tons of make up on - disappointing ;)

Edited by Gommes_

Actually it does :) Come on this whole site is mainly about bragging with platinums. Otherwise we wouldn't have threads like "most recent platinum" and so on. 

So the first thing you see is the trophy card, which will look impressing and than it's actually nothing. It's like a super hot looking woman with tons of make up on - disappointing ;)

I'm sorry that that's what you think the site is mainly about. I see a ton of discussions about various gaming topics most of which are based on trophies. Yes there are a few topics about "most recent platinum" but are you completely ignoring the other topics that are in the forum that have nothing to do with platinum counts? 

You seem to be approaching this with your own POV, where you see this as a contest and that you see the simple game platinums as "devaluing" a game list. I'm simply stating that i would go as far to say that your viewpoint is not shared by most and that this isn't that relevant to most people because we aren't looking at this as a constant platinum competition. If you take that out of it then its a non issue.  

• Like 4

I believe Devs just put easy platinum's on games especially indie developers just to make money because they know trophy hunters will buy it for the easy platinum.

Well, arguably this site has a plethora of trophy hunters that would theoretically cater to what you're saying and looks like, as of today, the developers have sold 2,456 copies that have obtained plats on PSNP. That's a whopping $2,431.44 (2,456 * .99 cents) MINUS their developers licence costs. Feel free to add a couple hundred dollars on to my estimate for rounding errors. (Note; A PS4 developers kit runs about $2,500)

They must just be rolling in all that cash!

I'm sorry that that's what you think the site is mainly about. I see a ton of discussions about various gaming topics most of which are based on trophies. Yes there are a few topics about "most recent platinum" but are you completely ignoring the other topics that are in the forum that have nothing to do with platinum counts? 

You seem to be approaching this with your own POV, where you see this as a contest and that you see the simple game platinums as "devaluing" a game list. I'm simply stating that i would go as far to say that your viewpoint is not shared by most and that this isn't that relevant to most people because we aren't looking at this as a constant platinum competition. If you take that out of it then its a non issue.  

You are clearly part of the "2nd wave trophy hunters" that arrived with the PS4 launch. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't act like the majority is on your side.

Before Mayo, before Sound Shapes, and before TWD, there was a brief period where, for a few years, platinums actually meant something. The PS4 launch is when the trophy economy began its downwards spiral. Before the PS4, games like Terminator Salvation and Hannah Montana were considered trophy whore games for how "short" and "easy" they were, despite the former being quite challenging and the latter being longer than most PS4 indie platinums. Now, they're nothing more than old memes since there's 200+ easier plats now. 

Gommes has a very good point about devaluation, and how # of plats no longer mean anything. You clearly don't pursue platinums for competitive reasons, and I don't really either, but a LOT of people do and you folks need to respect that, rather than begging developers to pander to your inner trophy whore. 

Plats used to mean something. On the current path we're on, 5-10 years from now plats will simply mean you've beat the story mode. I'm convinced that Sony saw this coming, hence their introduction of "trophy rarity".

Edited by Thropy_Hore
  • Like 3

Well, to be fair I said my point is subjective about this game. And I know that psn-profiles is more than bragging about platinums but trophy cards have almost no other purpose

than showing off. Why else do people post it then?

Some even say trophy hunting is a digital dick-measuring contest  :)

Still, I want to be encouraged by other great profiles to try harder games or to get motivated to finish hard ones. For me "games" like that mayo thing are indeed

watering down the value of platinums, I can't help it.

But wait, there is more.  When you buy the PS4 version of My Name Is Mayo for the low, low price of only 99 cents, we will give you the PSVita version absolutely free. This incredible deal won't last, so call now.  Operators are standing by.

You sounded like Tanaka's Amazing Commodities lol

• Like 1

You are clearly part of the "2nd wave trophy hunters" that arrived with the PS4 launch. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't act like the majority is on your side.

:lol:  What!?  What are you considering as the PS4 launch January of 2010 or June through October of 2013 because those are my earliest trophies.

Before Mayo, before Sound Shapes, and before TWD, there was a brief period where, for a few years, platinums actually meant something. The PS4 launch is when the trophy economy began its downwards spiral. Before the PS4, games like Terminator Salvation and Hannah Montana were considered trophy whore games for how "short" and "easy" they were, despite the former being quite challenging and the latter being longer than most PS4 indie platinums. Now, they're nothing more than old memes since there's 200+ easier plats now. 

Gommes has a very good point about devaluation, and how # of plats no longer mean anything. You clearly don't pursue platinums for competitive reasons, and I don't really either, but a LOT of people do and you folks need to respect that, rather than begging developers to pander to your inner trophy whore. 

Plats used to mean something. On the current path we're on, 5-10 years from now plats will simply mean you've beat the story mode. I'm convinced that Sony saw this coming, hence their introduction of "trophy rarity".

All this means is that for those of you that want to do a comparison then looking at a trophy card won't cut it. Look at someone's profile and use your own judgement to determine what you deem "worthy" since even that in itself is extremely subjective. Hell you could look at a profile and filter a gamer's profile to look at their platinum trophies which would in turn give you the rarity if it suits you.

You got caught out and everyone reading the thread can now see how much of a hypocrite you are! Now anything you have to say here means less than nothing.

How did I get caught? I've gotten around 200 views ever since I called people out for being shameless trophy hunting whoremongers. Where did I say I wasn't part of it? Oh, I guess you didn't do a good enough stalking job. Look up my posts. Pretty sure I called myself a hypocrite not a week ago. If you're going to stalk, at least put some effort into it. "Caught out". Ahahahaha. Looks like we have our new modern day Sherlock Holmes. Someone get this kid a platinum for figuring me out!

Can't help that people get so triggered around here. It's almost as if your mentality is as fragile as paper.

Keep going on about how my word means nothing, like I'm supposed to care, lol.

• Like 1

All this means is that for those of you that want to do a comparison then looking at a trophy card won't cut it. Look at someone's profile and use your own judgement to determine what you deem "worthy" since even that in itself is extremely subjective. Hell you could look at a profile and filter a gamer's profile to look at their platinum trophies which would in turn give you the rarity if it suits you.

The thing is, trophies used to be about achieving something. That's why they called achievements. So if someone is only playing crap to boost their profile he or she is in the "game" for the wrong reason. It is totally fine not to platinum a game or even finish it. I don't care about a large number of platinums or a high completion rate. In the end we are all gamers.

But here is the thing: Lately there are a ton of profiles where there is nothing but cheap bad games just in order to have many platinums. At the same time these certain profiles skip on every huge game like rpgs or the triple a titles like the last of us, red dead redemption, fallout etc. This is what I don't get. Why do people waste their time and money on crappy games just for a platinum instead of playing good ones? I mean if we assume that going for trophies in general is a waste of time, this behaviour is even worse.

Playing these games is not an achievement, not even close. And it also has nothing to do with being a gamer. But this crap is only possible, due to developers who make easy trophy lists, so they can sell their bad games. And that's a problem for this hobby. I am also not saying that this mayo game defines someone as a trophy whore per se. Maybe one plays it for the laugh of it or whatever. That's fine. But the combination of this "game" and a flood of other bad ones is what wateres down the value of a platinum.

It seems like many people didn't get the purpose of trophies in the first place. You know coming from the NES era where every game was hard, the trophy system kinda gave you that feeling back and seperated you from others or connected you to others. Getting platinums is a thing where you have to work for and not get it for just starting up the game. And yes, "games" like that mayo thing make me mad, cause now even the worst player can say that he or she has a platinum trophy! "Yeah congrats, good one!"

Is this the millenial shit everyone is talking about? You know where everybody gets a trophy in life for basically everything? And now even in virtual life?

• Like 1

"You both DO know what Visual Novels are, right? "

Normal games?

You're like this sites Bloody Mary. Type Visual Novels into a comment, reply or status on PSNProfiles and Satoshi :devil: will appear!

Do you have some kind of alerts set up or is it your supernatural power?  :P

Anyway, if Visual Novels were just Normal games, wouldn't we be calling them "Normal Games" instead?

Yes, you just made my point. VNs are games just like this Mayo game is a game. VN + guide is practically no different than the premise of Mayo.

It seems like many people didn't get the purpose of trophies in the first place. You know coming from the NES era where every game was hard, the trophy system kinda gave you that feeling back and seperated you from others or connected you to others. Getting platinums is a thing where you have to work for and not get it for just starting up the game. And yes, "games" like that mayo thing make me mad, cause now even the worst player can say that he or she has a platinum trophy! "Yeah congrats, good one!"

People just gotta stop caring what other people play. If you don't like it, code a new site that eliminates games like Mayo, eliminates VNs, eliminates Telltale games, only counts Sound Shapes once and so on then you can compare the very strict artificial definition of trophy comparing that you prefer. Good luck, cause you're still gonna get a bunch of whiners arguing for some other ideological stance that still ultimately means nothing.

• Like 3

So if someone is only playing crap to boost their profile he or she is in the "game" for the wrong reason. 

What's the "wrong" reason? If someone's purpose is to boost their profile then they have been successful in their own goal. How do you determine whats right for them? 

But here is the thing: Lately there are a ton of profiles where there is nothing but cheap bad games just in order to have many platinums. At the same time these certain profiles skip on every huge game like rpgs or the triple a titles like the last of us, red dead redemption, fallout etc. This is what I don't get. Why do people waste their time and money on crappy games just for a platinum instead of playing good ones? I mean if we assume that going for trophies in general is a waste of time, this behaviour is even worse.

You answered your own question they just want the quick platinum. it could be that they get their enjoyment in simply popping a trophy. If this is the case to them its not a waste of time for them.

Playing these games is not an achievement, not even close. And it also has nothing to do with being a gamer. But this crap is only possible, due to developers who make easy trophy lists, so they can sell their bad games. And that's a problem for this hobby. I am also not saying that this mayo game defines someone as a trophy whore per se. Maybe one plays it for the laugh of it or whatever. That's fine. But the combination of this "game" and a flood of other bad ones is what wateres down the value of a platinum.

What if someone's purpose in playing the game isn't to have a feeling of accomplishment and doesn't care about being labeled as a gamer? Correct me if i am wrong but the trophy system is a mandatory practice that Sony has instituted  I'm not going to fault a developer for trying to make money while adhering to the rules of the system. This is Sony's pandoras box.

Its also entirely possible that they didn't care about the purpose of the trophies and played to get them anyway. There are still games that are released on a regular basis that require you to do more than play the game in order to plat it they haven't declined and the early PS3 games that first instituted the trophy system were not 'Super Meat Boy' difficult. The difference is that now they have been accompanied with easier games (point and clicks, visual novels, games like mayo).

Like I said earlier just look at the profile if it matters that much to you. A my name is mayo plat clearly did not require the same effort as a Killzone 2 plat we all know this and no one (to my knowledge) is disputing it. But I just don't understand that if you are comparing someone's plats where you know one took significantly more effort/skill/etc than  the other , then how does the easy one devalue the harder plat?

People just gotta stop caring what other people play. If you don't like it, code a new site that eliminates games like Mayo, eliminates VNs, eliminates Telltale games, only counts Sound Shapes once and so on then you can compare the very strict artificial definition of trophy comparing that you prefer. Good luck, cause you're still gonna get a bunch of whiners arguing for some other ideological stance that still ultimately means nothing.

That's not my point and I said that before. The whole point of trophies is to work for it. Shit like this makes it obsolete though. Seriosly the main focus of sites like psn-profiles are (were) trophies and  I am fine with threads like "what are you listening" , "your last movie" and so on. Basically stuff that does not revolves around trophies.

But the main aspect - working for achievements - has to stay. With mayo and so on, the value of trophies is getting down.

How can you even deny that? 

Edited by Gommes_

But the main aspect - working for achievements - has to stay. With mayo and so on, the value of trophies is getting down.

That's the meaning and value YOU assigned to trophies. Once something (trophies) are given to the public, it's up to the public to decide how to define them. Nothing "has to stay."

That's how I can even deny that.

• Like 4

What's the "wrong" reason? If someone's purpose is to boost their profile then they have been successful in their own goal. How do you determine whats right for them? 

You answered your own question they just want the quick platinum. it could be that they get their enjoyment in simply popping a trophy. If this is the case to them its not a waste of time for them.

Oh boy. Once again, I said it is my SUBJECTIVE point of view! The name achievement itself says that is an achievement. Last time I checked it means something you have to earn. It's not called "participation".

I know that opinions differ and that my views don't apply to anyone. Still I don't want to take that in consideration everytime I make a point

What if someone's purpose in playing the game isn't to have a feeling of accomplishment and doesn't care about being labeled as a gamer? 

What? I said that's cool. Hunting trophies however stands in contrast to it. - Cause it is all about achieving - (As the name suggests)

and the early PS3 games that first instituted the trophy system were not 'Super Meat Boy' difficult. The difference is that now they have been accompanied with easier games (point and clicks, visual novels, games like mayo).

Yes they were. Mirror's edge, gta4, wipeout hd, ninja gaiden sigma 2, street fighter 4 and so on are all incredibly hard

Like I said earlier just look at the profile if it matters that much to you. A my name is mayo plat clearly did not require the same effort as a Killzone 2 plat we all know this and no one (to my knowledge) is disputing it. But I just don't understand that if you are comparing someone's plats where you know one took significantly more effort/skill/etc than  the other , then how does the easy one devalue the harder plat?

It's about the value of a platinum on it's own. Basically the idea of it. Imagine it goes on like this. In a couple of years the new generation will forget the hard platinums of a ps3 era and is pandered by easy games all the time. So a platinum to them is nothing and will mean nothing further on. I mean you don't give out the oscars to soap opera actors right? 

That's the meaning and value YOU assigned to trophies. Once something (trophies) are given to the public, it's up to the public to decide how to define them. Nothing "has to stay."

That's how I can even deny that.

Well in the beginning more people saw it that way. But as I stated many times I said it is subjective! Therefore my point of view.

Oh and the denying referred to the value going down, not that it has to stay like it

Edited by Gommes_

I disagree. The main aspect of trophies is to have a trophy.

All trophies are equally worthless outside of trophy selling websites, so there's no need to get so worked up about it. I shit you not, there are people willing to pay others $2 to play this game for them just to pad their own trophy list. Those same people will pay a hundred for someone to earn a more difficult platinum on their profile. If you're speaking in these terms, yes, Mayo's trophies have a lower value.

Also, if you want "easier" trophies to be worth less than "difficult" trophies, I suggest you try TrueTrophies. They have their site set up to give rarer trophies a higher point value than less rare trophies.

Edited by kuuhaku
  • Like 2

VN + guide is practically no different than the premise of Mayo.

Disagree.  Platting a VN in even remotely the same amount of time as Mayo requires you to not play the game as intended.  You would just skip through the actual "game" part and just choose random answers based on the guide without any context whatsoever.  The 45 minute Mayo plat is earned playing the game exactly as intended.  I would much rather have the Mayo plat on my profile knowing that I played the game the way it was meant to be played than a 2 hour VN.

Obviously there isn't a wrong reason, as everyone is different and has different priorities. I would be interested in hearing what the appeal is in boosting one's profile though if competition isn't the motivating factor, particularly if it means devoting limited resources (time and money) to achieve that goal instead of focusing those resources elsewhere.  Video games are my preferred form of entertainment and I love playing them for the stories they tell, the characters they introduce, the awesome things they let me do, and the worlds they let me explore. Trophies are more an afterthought, so I find the concept of playing mainly for trophies with the games themselves being somewhat of an afterthought to be foreign, yet somewhat fascinating.

Disagree.  Platting a VN in even remotely the same amount of time as Mayo requires you to not play the game as intended.  You would just skip through the actual "game" part and just choose random answers based on the guide without any context whatsoever.  The 45 minute Mayo plat is earned playing the game exactly as intended.  I would much rather have the Mayo plat on my profile knowing that I played the game the way it was meant to be played than a 2 hour VN.

You didn't really disagree with what I said:

VN + Guide = Guide tells you all the steps to do, in order = finish game

Mayo = Game tells you all the steps to do, in order = finish game

That's all I said. You're adding in the "as intended" stuff.

Time is irrelevant to the practical argument. You're making the argument much more complicated than what I stated. "Play the game the way it was meant to be played." This whole thread is about someone getting Plats the way they're meant to be obtained. It's up to the player and that player alone to determine what "meant to" means.