So... now even such games have platinum

Just_Amaz1ng

You didn't really disagree with what I said:

VN + Guide = Guide tells you all the steps to do, in order = finish game

Mayo = Game tells you all the steps to do, in order = finish game

That's all I said. You're adding in the "as intended" stuff.

Time is irrelevant to the practical argument. You're making the argument much more complicated than what I stated. "Play the game the way it was meant to be played." This whole thread is about someone getting Plats the way they're meant to be obtained. It's up to the player and that player alone to determine what "meant to" means.

I misunderstood the comparison.  I was thinking that you were using VN's as the comparison because both could theoretically offer incredibly fast and easy platinums.

I do disagree that it is up to the player to determine what "meant to" means. Players are free to play games in any way they want, but the people who make the game intend for players to experience certain things.  Developers of VN's intend for players to read the story and I don't think it is a stretch to say that is the way the game is meant to be played.  Players are free to do what they want and play how they want, but I certainly don't think it is a stretch to say that someone who basically skips all of the content in a game is not playing the game the way the developers intended.

• Like 1

You're like this sites Bloody Mary. Type Visual Novels into a comment, reply or status on PSNProfiles and Satoshi :devil: will appear!

Do you have some kind of alerts set up or is it your supernatural power?  :P

Anyway, if Visual Novels were just Normal games, wouldn't we be calling them "Normal Games" instead?

Yes, you just made my point. VNs are games just like this Mayo game is a game. VN + guide is practically no different than the premise of Mayo.

Of course, it's one of my superpowers :awesome:

However, awf is right. VN with a guide is still WITHOUT SKIPPING xxx hours game :)

Mayo is 10000 * (time for one press) =D

I'm not against Mayo, though. I think it's a nice concept of a game and I have it myself but as you said, wherever VNs are, I am :awesome:

• Like 2

Oh boy. Once again, I said it is my SUBJECTIVE point of view! The name achievement itself says that is an achievement. Last time I checked it means something you have to earn. It's not called "participation".

I know that opinions differ and that my views don't apply to anyone. Still I don't want to take that in consideration everytime I make a point

In all of your posts you barely if at all mention "to me " or "I think that" instead are a series of statements like this:

So if someone is only playing crap to boost their profile he or she is in the "game" for the wrong reason.

Why do people waste their time and money on crappy games just for a platinum instead of playing good ones? 

Playing these games is not an achievement, not even close. And it also has nothing to do with being a gamer. .

It seems like many people didn't get the purpose of trophies in the first place. 

If i misinterpreted you i apologize (but another user in the same thread also felt the same way on the same quote) but in rereading your post you don't seem to preface these comments with "to me trophies are supposed to be" or "I feel that trophies are supposed to be..."

Instead all of the previous comments are direct statements that appear as though you are trying to make them sound like facts. How else is someone supposed to interpret "This has nothing to be a gamer" or the infamous "This is the way its meant to be played"? 

I am about to Double Plat this game. Does it make me a terrible person? A disgrace? A worthless gamer? Absolutely not!

If i still had my vita id be just as "deplorable" as you  :)

or the infamous "This is the way its meant to be played"? 

I assume this is directed at my comments as I didn't see anything similar from Gommes.  Not sure why you included the "infamous" as it doesn't take any great leap in logic to assume that developers of visual novels intend for players to read their stories, and not doing so by skipping the content to earn the trophies is playing the game how it was not meant to be played.  I didn't say there was anything wrong with this.  People can spend their time and money playing what they want, how they want.  But to argue that a game isn't meant to be played instead of skipped seems strange to me.

• Like 2

I assume this is directed at my comments as I didn't see anything similar from Gommes.  Not sure why you included the "infamous" as it doesn't take any great leap in logic to assume that developers of visual novels intend for players to read their stories, and not doing so by skipping the content to earn the trophies is playing the game how it was not meant to be played.  I didn't say there was anything wrong with this.  People can spend their time and money playing what they want, how they want.  But to argue that a game isn't meant to be played instead of skipped seems strange to me.

No t not directed at  you. You summed up perfectly what I was trying to say that, that particular phrase doesn't really apply to videogames as long as you aren't cheating. He didn't say that phrase verbatim (that's where the whole cousin analogy came from)  its just a mindset that people believe that something can only be done in one way and that any other way is unacceptable that is what i was objecting to .

Edited by stitchesnscars
  • Like 1

No t not directed at  you. You summed up perfectly what I was trying to say that, that particular phrase doesn't really apply to videogames as long as you aren't cheating. He didn't say that phrase verbatim (that's where the whole cousin analogy came from)  its just a mindset that people believe that something can only be done in one way and that any other way is unacceptable that is what i was objecting to .

Sorry about that.  I must have missed something along the way.  Yeah, in the end we all play video games.  We don't have to understand the reasons why each of us plays or why we play the way we do, but we all get some kind of enjoyment out of this great hobby. Whether a person plays for stories, the competition, or the trophies; everyone should do whatever makes them happy.  For me at the moment, that is obsessing over Skyrim all over again.  :awesome:

• Like 1

Instead all of the previous comments are direct statements that appear as though you are trying to make them sound like facts. How else is someone supposed to interpret "This has nothing to be a gamer" or the infamous "This is the way its meant to be played"? 

No it was never my intention to present "facts". Maybe I should've spread some statements that made more clear that this is just my side. 

Still, for me ;)only playing these kind of games does not identify someone as a gamer.

In my language we have the word "cineast" coming from the word cinema. This describes a person which knows everything about movies cause he or she watches all sorts of stuff. From the biggest blockbuster to the smallest indie movies. (The definition is actually longer) The word does not apply to people who only watch a certain type of movies. Let's say only romantic comedies.  

This can be compared to how I see gaming.

What I am trying to say is, that if your gaming life only consists of bad games in order to get trophies and skipping hard or long ones it doesn't make you a gamer. 

The whole platinum-hunt thing is even on another level and my name is mayo is just too much for me 

Edited by Gommes_

I went into this thread just kind of expecting genera curiosity, not a knock down, drag out brawl over "easy" trophies.

If a dev wants to add a plat they can, if they dont want to they don't have to. I mean I'm also disappointed that RE4 doesn't have a plat but capcom is lazy as hell so it's not surprising they don't want to put the work in for making a trophy pop for an easter egg or other special occurrence. If the mayo dev wants to put in the work to give their game a full list and a plat then god speed. I mean I'm pretty sure Until dawn has a minuscule list and still has a plat, right

Likewise, if someone wants to play this game it's pretty rude to think low of them just because you deem the game easy. I know there's tons of people who download psplus games just for their trophies, I've done it a bunch of times. Maybe they like these kinds of games, maybe they like taking a gamble on cheap releases, maybe they really do only want trophies. People are paying for this game, even if it's cheap it's their money, they can do what they want. 

I thought this was an interesting video.

He thinks the existence of this game-- oh sorry, I mean "game" will change the trophy system. Since My Name is Mayo has a platinum, maybe that will make it so other small games will have a platinum now too. I don't like the idea of every game having a platinum trophy as I think that devalues the trophy system, but at least that would be consistent. What we have now makes no sense. Some games that clearly deserve a platinum trophy are denied and then "games" like this one receive a platinum with no problem. I think Sony should just get their act together and make clear rules on what games do and don't deserve one and then stick to them.

• Like 3

I thought this was an interesting video.

He thinks the existence of this game-- oh sorry, I mean "game" will change the trophy system. Since My Name is Mayo has a platinum, maybe that will make it so other small games will have a platinum now too. I don't like the idea of every game having a platinum trophy as I think that devalues the trophy system, but at least that would be consistent. What we have now makes no sense. Some games that clearly deserve a platinum trophy are denied and then "games" like this one receive a platinum with no problem. I think Sony should just get their act together and make clear rules on what games do and don't deserve one and then stick to them.

I knew the game was just about clicking, but somehow I thought there would be more to it than what was shown.  Maybe you clicked in a different place, or used a different button, or something interesting would actually happen at some point.  I was giving the game almost no credit and watching 5 minutes of that video, it actually manages to fall short of my expectations.

I agree that a bunch of shitty little trophy grabs like this will devalue the system, but that begs the question, what was the real value anyway? Does it really matter if 100 plats is the new 25?  Mayo may be the most egregious of the bunch due to cost and time, but if someone really wants to manipulate the trophy system and has the resources, it isn't that hard to do.  You make a good point with consistency, but hopefully not many would skip an amazing indie game just because it doesn't have a plat. Guess it all depends on a persons priorities. Personally, I don't think of trophies any differently than before - they are an added incentive to spend more time with the games I enjoy, nothing more and nothing less.

Edited by awf9495

I agree that a bunch of shitty little trophy grabs like this will devalue the system, but that begs the question, what was the real value anyway? Does it really matter if 100 plats is the new 25?  Mayo may be the most egregious of the bunch due to cost and time, but if someone really wants to manipulate the trophy system and has the resources, it isn't that hard to do.  You make a good point with consistency, but hopefully not many would skip an amazing indie game just because it doesn't have a plat. Guess it all depends on a persons priorities. Personally, I don't think of trophies any differently than before - they are an added incentive to spend more time with the games I enjoy, nothing more and nothing less.

You're right, there are ways to manipulate the trophy system now of course, but that at the very least usually requires money which not everyone has an abundance of. I mean importing VN's isn't cheap. :giggle: If the PSN store was suddenly flooded with tons of shitty $1 "games" with platinums, anybody would be able to easily rack up lots of platinum trophies if they desired to, and that would further devalue the system more than it already is. As for if that really matters, I guess it depends on the person. I'm sure most people don't care, but there are trophy hunters out there who have worked very hard to acquire the amount of platinums they have, and I guess this would make their efforts seem for naught. I enjoy getting the platinum itself rather than just the number, but I know not everyone feels that way.

I just want some consistency with Sony. I know I'm not the only one who gets disappointed when games that deserve a platinum trophy doesn't end up getting one, yet games like My Name is Mayo or Taco Master do get one. Of course that's not going to stop me from playing the game, but it's still disappointing nevertheless.

You're right, there are ways to manipulate the trophy system now of course, but that at the very least usually requires money which not everyone has an abundance of. I mean importing VN's isn't cheap. :giggle: If the PSN store was suddenly flooded with tons of shitty $1 "games" with platinums, anybody would be able to easily rack up lots of platinum trophies if they desired to, and that would further devalue the system more than it already is. As for if that really matters, I guess it depends on the person. I'm sure most people don't care, but there are trophy hunters out there who have worked very hard to acquire the amount of platinums they have, and I guess this would make their efforts seem for naught. I enjoy getting the platinum itself rather than just the number, but I know not everyone feels that way.

But it would stop VN abusing, I'm totally fine if that happened =D

• Like 1

I don't know how to feel about this lol Why does it exist? Why Mayo?

As far as trophy lists go, I will always have more 'respect'(?) for a trophy list with only 3 plats, but those plats are XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Catherine and I Am Bread, over a list that has 200+ plats but contains 6 copies of Sound Shapes, Hannah Montana, 3 copies of each Telltale game and so on. Quality over Quantity.

Everyone has different opinions, and it's okay to not agree with everyone, there's no need to belittle people for thinking differently though.

• Like 1

What is that joke now to determine somebody as a gamer by what they play and how they play? It's like saying "you play many games but you don't have any Platinum trophy? You're a disgrace!" or "You play such games but you have never played those classic ones like everyone played?! You're a disgrace!" or even "You played that piece of crap? You ARE a disgrace!"...

Edited by Max654