How is the technical performance?

MafiaBrett

Seeing the game is pretty cheap for the upcoming holiday sales I'd figure I'd get it. But was wondering how well does it play.

The original XCOM on ps3 was plagued with constant framerate drops. Especially cutscenes. I was hoping XCOM 2 wouldn't have this.

Also if there's anything else worth mentioning about the performance go ahead.

It has crashed on me loads of times (i have never reported so many crash reports to Sony on any other game before) - make sure that you let all mini cut scenes play through to completion - no skipping them despite the fact its your 10th playthrough and hopefully it will be ok for you.  Like RNumbers said the load times are insanely long.  I have had some that were 6 mins+ (is that a guesstimate I hear you ask - no because they were that long that I started timing them).  I also had an end game blank screen for 5 mins before the game decided it knew how to continue.

As for the frame rate drops, they aren't constant but for me they were there on many of the end missions, there was a lot going on at screen at once (across a large area) at which point they couldn't really be classed as frame rate drops, but rather a slideshow!

I should have said this first but I am playing the disc version on a PS4 that I don't have any problems with other games. 

Ok, now for the good news.  The game is amazing.  If you have played XCOM then you know what to expect and it delivers.  If you google problems with XCOM2 crashes on PS4 etc I was expecting loads of hits, but there aren't that many.  I was expecting a forum on PSNP devoted to how glitchy the game is, but there isnt one.  So I can only assume I maybe have a bad disk, or should have gone for the digital download option, maybe.

Either way if you enjoyed XCOM on the PS3 (despite the frame rate drops) and it is on sale, then it is a must buy.

• Like 2

It has crashed on me loads of times (i have never reported so many crash reports to Sony on any other game before) - make sure that you let all mini cut scenes play through to completion - no skipping them despite the fact its your 10th playthrough and hopefully it will be ok for you.  Like RNumbers said the load times are insanely long.  I have had some that were 6 mins+ (is that a guesstimate I hear you ask - no because they were that long that I started timing them).  I also had an end game blank screen for 5 mins before the game decided it knew how to continue.

As for the frame rate drops, they aren't constant but for me they were there on many of the end missions, there was a lot going on at screen at once (across a large area) at which point they couldn't really be classed as frame rate drops, but rather a slideshow!

I should have said this first but I am playing the disc version on a PS4 that I don't have any problems with other games. 

Ok, now for the good news.  The game is amazing.  If you have played XCOM then you know what to expect and it delivers.  If you google problems with XCOM2 crashes on PS4 etc I was expecting loads of hits, but there aren't that many.  I was expecting a forum on PSNP devoted to how glitchy the game is, but there isnt one.  So I can only assume I maybe have a bad disk, or should have gone for the digital download option, maybe.

Either way if you enjoyed XCOM on the PS3 (despite the frame rate drops) and it is on sale, then it is a must buy.

Hmm so it appears the Dev still isnt good at making a proper port. But regardless im a sucker for RTS/TBS games and yeah I loved the first. Ill wait and see what the PSN does for holiday sales. Maybe ill get it digitally if its cheaper.

I have had a ton of fun with the game so far but yes...the load times are insane. I had read about the load times beforehand and when I started playing I thought it was exaggerated since early on they aren't so bad. As the months in game go by it gets progressively longer. I could literally watch a half inning of the world series in between load times. Fortunately, it's a turn based game and my PS4 is setup near my PC so I was watching netflix as well and the load times were less of an issue. I have probably had about a dozen crashes or so, but I don't think it has been that bad of a deterrent. At least the game autosaves after every turn for you, so if it does crash, you don't lose a ton of time. Overall, the game has its bugs and frustrating things, but I have enjoyed it for the most part.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had some game breaking bugs. Luckily being an expert of the series now, I've worked around these. It takes a knack to know how to fix them. However, I am currently experiencing a reoccuring crash on the last mission, with one avatar left. Don't know if anyone else has experienced it but I will try a reinstall as that has fixed similar issues on the PS3 instalments and post back results.

UPDATE: I downloaded my save from the cloud from when I started the mission, played super aggressively to finish. It seems that what triggered it is Archon's "Blazing Pinions" while there was around 20 enemies for the game to present to me caused the crash. This time around I seemed to only have about half that number at once and the Avatars spawned faster so I was able to finish the mission before things got crowded.

Edited by Pixel

• 1 month later...

The game is alright, if you don't mind the lag during the missions (and it sometimes increases when there're lots of corpses on the field), the loading times, and the game crashing with the Archon king encounter(s) in the Alien rulers dlc

• 4 weeks later...

I would be interested to hear how this game performs in the Boost Mode which was added as part of the new firmware update for PS4 Pro owners (currently only available to beta testers). It could potentially help with things such as the frame rate and loading times known to be issues on base hardware. It's not the full Pro compatibility I had hoped for, but it's better than nothing at least.

• 6 months later...

Just want to comment as I recently did a playthrough after the patch. Performance was OK. I think I encountered 1 crash fairly early in the game, nothing too bad. Load times are still long, but I feel like they are more reasonable than they were previously. Still what I would consider on the long side, but at least somewhat improved. I'll probably take another long break from the game before attempting my next run (either Legendary or Commander/Ironman).

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2017 at 0:35 PM, RNumbers said:

Just want to comment as I recently did a playthrough after the patch. Performance was OK. I think I encountered 1 crash fairly early in the game, nothing too bad. Load times are still long, but I feel like they are more reasonable than they were previously. Still what I would consider on the long side, but at least somewhat improved. I'll probably take another long break from the game before attempting my next run (either Legendary or Commander/Ironman).

On average how long would you say the load times are? If they're something like a minute or two I wouldn't mind picking this up.

1 hour ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

On average how long would you say the load times are? If they're something like a minute or two I wouldn't mind picking this up.

I just completed a playthrough yesterday and the load times were always between 1 and 2 minutes. I was playing on my PS4 pro. On my regular Ps4, load times are between 2 and 4 minutes.

Edit: Boost mode was enabled on my PS4 Pro

Edited by Kaph-
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kaph- said:

I just completed a playthrough yesterday and the load times were always between 1 and 2 minutes. I was playing on my PS4 pro. On my regular Ps4, load times are between 2 and 4 minutes.

Edit: Boost mode was enabled on my PS4 Pro

Thanks! I'm playing on a regular PS4 so I'll have to deal with 2-4 minutes, but that's okay with me.

No problem! Honestly, despite the long loading times, its worth it. It is a very good game. Its fun and challenging. I can't wait for the next expansion to come out to start my legendary run and get all the remaining trophies.

Edited by Kaph-
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Thanks! I'm playing on a regular PS4 so I'll have to deal with 2-4 minutes, but that's okay with me.

1-2 sounds right, and I'm playing on regular PS4. It's not absurd (anymore). Also, the less you save scum, the less it'll be a problem. ;)

• Like 1