Does someone have an idea what's wrong with my PS3?

RachelCharlotte

Last month I bought a new TV and I don't remember when last I plugged in my PS3 before that, but today I wanted to. I was disappointed and confused when the screen remained almost blank - there is only the information I usually get when the console has been turned off.

I tried different HDMI ports to no avail and it is not the cable either (an Xbox 360 works fine with it). I even plugged the PS3 into my monitor, but that didn't help - the same goes for keeping the power button pressed to enter the recovery menu, that doesn't show up any more than the regular menu.

It is the first version of the console so it's probably almost ten years old, but I'm still hoping it's not dead. Any advice?

As mayus said, your PS3 must still be configured to the settings of the old tv. If you plug it in the old tv, it should work as normal, but since you wanna switch tvs, do what mayus said and the PS3 will reconfigure for whatever TV it's now plugged to. If the TVs you use aren't the same, you need to do this everytime you swap tvs. This is quite painful when the tvs are similar and the issue isn't so blatantly big, but you lose audio for lots of stuff and start wondering what the fuck is happening with your console.

• Like 1

Be sure everything is connected properly and test it like Mayus said while turning it on with 3 beeps.

Here is also more info:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Consoles-Peripherals/The-PS3-Blank-Screen-Fix-only-works-90-of-the-time/td-p/4571553

What could not be connected properly? Like I said, I have power and (as a test) the Xbox connects using the same cable, so the only possible fault in the setup would be the other end of the HDMI cable - which I assure you is sitting perfectly in my PS3.

As for the recovery menu: I wish it was as simple as me being too stupid, but it's not. I tried it again thinking maybe I made a mistake, but this is what happens: I put my finger on the button, the console beeps and the green light comes on. Nothing on the TV. I keep my finger there, after a while a second (singular!) beep, but no changes on the TV. If I keep the button pressed, then a third beep accompanies the PS3 shutting down and that's it.

So apparently something is not going the way it's supposed to or am I really unable to follow these simple steps?

If you give me more details i could help you out, hit me up with any questions. I know the hardware as well as software in the ps3, I repair and code for them. Any questions can be answered ;)

What kind of details do you need? Some number on the console? TV model?

Edited by Karlsson89

What could not be connected properly? Like I said, I have power and (as a test) the Xbox connects using the same cable, so the only possible fault in the setup would be the other end of the HDMI cable - which I assure you is sitting perfectly in my PS3.

As for the recovery menu: I wish it was as simple as me being too stupid, but it's not. I tried it again thinking maybe I made a mistake, but this is what happens: I put my finger on the button, the console beeps and the green light comes on. Nothing on the TV. I keep my finger there, after a while a second (singular!) beep, but no changes on the TV. If I keep the button pressed, then a third beep accompanies the PS3 shutting down and that's it.

So apparently something is not going the way it's supposed to or am I really unable to follow these simple steps?

That was just a little safe add with the connecting.

I know the PS3 goes off sometimes when attempting to go to the restore/safe mode (actually only on the first try, 2nd time should work). But I guess you already tried it several times to let it show up. Then there is probably sth. else the problem but I hope you can solve it with the help offer from anton :)

Edited by Dennis-nine-five

It sounds like you're only doing half the steps...

1. Make sure your PS3 is off (but showing the red light).
  2. Hold your finger on the power button until it comes on, then off again (it'll beep a couple times).
  3. Now that it's off again, hold the power button -again-, you'll hear 1 beep followed by 2 rapid beeps, release it right after the rapid beeps.
  4. That should bring you to the safe menu (make sure to have your controller plugged in for it to work), then you should just have to restart the system & it -should- work again (if that was the problem).
Edited by Masamune

For some reason I'm currently not able to quote.

@totallycrushed: Not an option, there is no way to connect a console to my TV or monitor other than HDMI :( And no, there's no sound either.

@Masamune: I guess the console goes to the safe menu now that I have a controller plugged in as the beeps have changed and I can't shut the PS3 off except by keeping the button pressed once more, but there still is nothing on the screen.

@IMaySlayLizDaw94: My TV registers that there is something going on with that HDMI channel and goes there on it's own. Of course I've made sure other sources work with the same HDMI port and I also plugged the PS3 into a different one.

:P I already have one (otherwise I probably wouldn't have waited two months to boot up the PS3 again), but unfortunately there still seems to be no offline MP-Shooter for PS4 so we have to keep coming back to MW2 ;)

Literally EVERY Call of Duty for PS4 can be played in local multiplayer. I know, because I've played them all in local.

Literally EVERY Call of Duty for PS4 can be played in local multiplayer. I know, because I've played them all in local.

1. I should have put something about "four players" in there, but I thought that was obvious. Unless the back of the box is lying no more than two people may play.

2. For some reason in MW3 and BO2 the developers thought it was a good idea to take away customisation from players 2-4 and not save their progress, thereby taking away a lot of what makes MW2 so much fun.

Maybe the TV's busted. If it is new, get it replaced ASAP.

I doubt it seeing how many other consoles work fine and it's not like the PS3 behaved any differently when connected to my monitor.

Last month I bought a new TV and I don't remember when last I plugged in my PS3 before that, but today I wanted to. I was disappointed and confused when the screen remained almost blank - there is only the information I usually get when the console has been turned off.

I tried different HDMI ports to no avail and it is not the cable either (an Xbox 360 works fine with it). I even plugged the PS3 into my monitor, but that didn't help - the same goes for keeping the power button pressed to enter the recovery menu, that doesn't show up any more than the regular menu.

It is the first version of the console so it's probably almost ten years old, but I'm still hoping it's not dead. Any advice?

I've also experienced this twice. I switched to an HD TV, then a small TV (Don't know what it's called atm). I just used this video:

I also just use this:

1. Make sure your PS3 is off (but showing the red light).
  2. Hold your finger on the power button until it comes on, then off again (it'll beep a couple times).
  3. Now that it's off again, hold the power button -again-, you'll hear 1 beep followed by 2 rapid beeps, release it right after the rapid beeps.
  4. That should bring you to the safe menu (make sure to have your controller plugged in for it to work), then you should just have to restart the system & it -should- work again (if that was the problem).

1. I should have put something about "four players" in there, but I thought that was obvious. Unless the back of the box is lying no more than two people may play.

2. For some reason in MW3 and BO2 the developers thought it was a good idea to take away customisation from players 2-4 and not save their progress, thereby taking away a lot of what makes MW2 so much fun.

Oh shit, MW2 has 4 player split screen? That's dope dude. I assumed you meant 2 player as I had no idea there was ever an option for more than 2 in these games. I mean, World at War had like 4 player co-op, but even that I thought was online. I feel you then, carry on and ignore me. :)

Oh shit, MW2 has 4 player split screen? That's dope dude. I assumed you meant 2 player as I had no idea there was ever an option for more than 2 in these games. I mean, World at War had like 4 player co-op, but even that I thought was online. I feel you then, carry on and ignore me. :)

Do you know what would've been better? Using the 4 Player Split-Screen is Special Ops!

Mine would do this all the time, even to TVs that it had recognized before. Scared the crap out of me the first time it did it when I hadn't changed the TV it had been plugged into.

Basically, I'd just repeat the 3-second hold with swapping out HDMI cables if it didn't work. Eventually, it would find one it liked and be content.

I've also experienced this twice. I switched to an HD TV, then a small TV (Don't know what it's called atm). I just used this video:

I also just use this:

Regardless of the screen nothing happens when I perform those steps. I think I'm in the right menu because I have to keep the button pushed for a long time in order to shut the PS3 down, but there is nothing to be seen.

Yup, it was great when there finally was something to replace Timesplitters (although unlike that MW2 didn't even feature bots), it's a shame how the FPS genre steadily declined in the past ten years :(

Mine would do this all the time, even to TVs that it had recognized before. Scared the crap out of me the first time it did it when I hadn't changed the TV it had been plugged into.

Basically, I'd just repeat the 3-second hold with swapping out HDMI cables if it didn't work. Eventually, it would find one it liked and be content.

I've tried three different cables now, I fear it's time to accept the worst :(

Regardless of the screen nothing happens when I perform those steps. I think I'm in the right menu because I have to keep the button pushed for a long time in order to shut the PS3 down, but there is nothing to be seen.

It depends if you have an automatic log in or a page where you have users. It took a long while to get my screen back up. I just used the 3 beep tactic.