Nioh: Looking Death in the Face

Aranea Highwind

PS+ subscribers on the JP region will receive an exclusive Nioh PS4 Theme sometime this month. I will be sure to upload a video of the theme and share it with you guys here. In other news, more spirit animals will be added in the game. This Famitsu magazine scan is of very low quality but you can see the new spirits animals & some new characters in there.

http://i.imgur.com/NvLgrfl.jpg

Nioh has officially gone gold so you can expect the game to come out next month. Crazy to think this game has been in development since 2004 and has been rebooted a couple of times.

According to the game director, Nioh will include a PVP mode as part of a free update. The interview that was published on GameReactor has been taken down, since they were not supposed to share that information yet, but you can expect some sort of PVP mode shortly after the game launches. The next livestream will be on January 20 were they will reveal a new stage and perhaps gameplay mechanics.

Nioh will have last chance trial on which you will be able to obtain a new exclusive reward.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/01/18/nioh-last-chance-trial-begins-january-21/

The Last Chance Trial will be running this weekend, January 21 and 22, giving you a chance to sample an expanded version of what we showed at PlayStation Experience in December. Download the trial from PlayStation Store later today so you can pre-load and get started as soon as the Last Chance Trial activates on January 21.

For those who have the skill to make it through the Last Chance Trial, a number of extra rewards for the final game await you. Beating the Main Mission will net you the Ogress Headgear, whereas completing the Twilight Mission will give you a last chance to secure the Mark of the Conqueror and Mark of the Strong from last year’s Alpha and Beta.

Nioh, PS4

To access the Ogress Headgear in the final game, you will need to keep your save data from the Last Chance Trial so don’t delete it until launch! For Mark of the Conqueror and Mark of the Strong, you will be prompted to download DLC that you’ll also need to keep on your PS4 until launch. In-game, visit shrines to receive these “Boons” and reap the rewards!

• Like 1

For those who have the skill to make it through the Last Chance Trial, a number of extra rewards for the final game await you. Beating the Main Mission will net you the Ogress Headgear, whereas completing the Twilight Mission will give you a last chance to secure the Mark of the Conqueror and Mark of the Strong from last year’s Alpha and Beta.

Not only do we get a final demo, but also in-game rewards for completing it? Is this real life? Really looking forward to this and the final product.

I'm really happy for this Free Trial, definitevely going to try it out! I'm waiting for this game just by videos and Images, it looks so cool and unfortunately during the last beta well i still didn't have a PS4 :P 

So i'm happy about this, be able to trying out the game almost in his definitive version and getting even some Bonus for the Full game! Developpers, learn from this!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedMustang72 said:

The Last Chance trial (EU) is currently appearing in the Free to Play menu and not the Demo menu...looking forward to playing this.   Game is looking good but I'd still like a little more info on the season pass, scope of campaign missions etc...

Perhaps you are already aware of this information, but this is all we know so far about the DLC that will be included as part of the season.

The Season Pass includes three new downloadable story chapters – each with new enemies and quests – which you can access as soon as they’re available.

Featuring:

Dragon of the North – Venture deep into Japan’s embattled Northern provinces

Defiant Honor – Fight in the bloody Winter Campaign of the Siege of Osaka

Bloodshed’s End – Bring the Siege of Osaka to an end during the Summer Campaign

And here's the video of the PS4 Theme that JP PS+ can download this month.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aranea Highwind said:

Perhaps you are already aware of this information, but this is all we know so far about the DLC that will be included as part of the season.

The Season Pass includes three new downloadable story chapters – each with new enemies and quests – which you can access as soon as they’re available.

Featuring:

Dragon of the North – Venture deep into Japan’s embattled Northern provinces

Defiant Honor – Fight in the bloody Winter Campaign of the Siege of Osaka

Bloodshed’s End – Bring the Siege of Osaka to an end during the Summer Campaign

Actually I didn't know that...exactly.   Cheers.   I only knew there were three campaign dlc's, good to have a little more info.  It all sounds good but what I'd really like to know is the estimated length of these campaigns.   I'm not a fan of season passes/dlc, few have value imo and rarely merit a purchase.   Think I wrote this earlier in the thread, I'd just like to know if I'm getting 4/5 hrs roughly out of each of these dlc's or are they going to be something with a couple of map points, and I can finish in under an hour?   Normally I wouldn't bother, but Nioh is a bit special, a game I've very much enjoyed so far and would happily buy the dlc for, providing it was worth the price of the season pass.  Hopefully we'll get an answer soon.

Here's 2 new videos. One of the videos is from the last stream that was broadcast today and on the other one a new type of weapon is shown in action. The stage that's playable on both of those videos will be available once the Last Chance Trial goes live and by completing such stage you will be able to unlock a new exclusive reward.

2 hours ago, Aranea Highwind said:

Just completed the new stage on the Last Chance Trial to obtain the reward. I'm gonna help my friend tomorrow so she can also obtain this exclusive item.

Congrats. I finished it earlier today. Not gonna lie, the boss absolutely kicked my ass. Or maybe I'm just out of shape. Either way, the demo definitively sold me on the game.

OH! You just have to complete that mission and taht's it? I thought like 3-4 so i didn't really btohered, then if i can i'll try tomorrow to make it :P

Really Wonderful game, even more cruel than Dark soul, Holy Crap, 2 Hits you die with almost any enemy O.o

Anyway i would for sure get the game, not Right away but when it drop down to 30 € probably for the end of they year maybe yes :D

5 hours ago, ShadowReplicant said:

Congrats. I finished it earlier today. Not gonna lie, the boss absolutely kicked my ass. Or maybe I'm just out of shape. Either way, the demo definitively sold me on the game.

Haha thanks. It took me a couple of tries to beat the boss solo but i managed to beat here. Here's a co op run i did with a random which took me only a couple of minutes.

Alright, folk, I need to know: How did you like the latest Nioh demo? Did you play the previous ones? What do you expect from the game after its release? Are there things that make you worry?

I gotta say, overall I was very pleased with the Last Chance Trial. Having played the Beta (I haven't played the Alpha) I was extremely excited to see that we actually got to play another area of the game instead of just revisiting a stage we're familiar with. As excited as I was, though, playing through the stage felt a little less satisfying than in the Beta. Is it just me or is the game already getting easier with every version? I mean, you walk down a hill, you kill a handful of foes, enter a waterfall and there's a shrine. You kill a couple more, walk a little more and there's another one. A total of 4 shrines in this tiny area just feels like too many. Opening up a shortcut in the Beta felt like an achievement, in this one, I was like "whatevs".

I also wonder about the game's end-game content and long-term playability. How many different enemies will we fight? Will it just be the same guys over and over again, just hitting harder and with a much larger health pool? Will they evolve and become more aggressive/unpredictable? Considering the Yokai I've fought in the Beta and the Last Chance Trial, those very much felt the same. Yeah, they looked slightly different and they've turned the second stage Beta boss into a regular Yokai (Tengu?), but basically all of the strats I've developed in the Beta worked out just fine. The nightmare stages in the Beta felt like a challenge but when I started up this one the first guy I defeated started dropping sweet loot immediately and shortly in I felt quite OP.

Those bosses, though!!! I gotta say, it's been a while since fighting a boss had me so excited. There's hardly anything as satisfying in a game as watching yourself evolve from a punching bag into an overlord. You enter a boss stage and get demolished. Fast forward a little and you find yourself starting a boss fight over just because you took a single hit but feel like you could take him down naked on Level 1 and barehanded. I love this sense of personal evolution/progress the game provides with it's precise controls and easy-to-learn-yet-hard-to-master approach. Makes you feel great. I also love how the game crushes your confidence by letting you finish the nightmare stage quite easily and return to that Samurai dude only to find out that he'll still kill you in just a few seconds if you let your guard down. One thing that I would have loved to see is an increase in difficulty when I fought the nightmare boss, though. In the Beta, they've at least tried to by adding mobs. That was the wrong approach, the community feedback made that very clear, but at least they tried. Which they did not in the Last Chance.

While it was exciting to fight the first couple of revenants I really feel like this game needs more PvP features, esp considering the possibilities. With the loot system being very different from the Souls games and resembling experiences found in Diablo or Borderlands as well as the intricate combat system, it's highly unlikely there will be a stale meta as there often is in Souls with it's fixed weapon/character stats. Furthermore, I wanna take the sick moves I've practiced against PvE foes and see if they'll do me any good versus real opponents.

So, to conclude this for now, I'm both super excited and super worried about this game. As much as I've enjoyed the innitial experience I'd hate to see this game become stale and repeatitive after a while. I'm not predicting it will, just a little worried here. ;)

21 minutes ago, Auralancer42 said:

What? There's an unlockable for this? I was told it was just the beta coming back up for people who missed it. How long do I have? At this point I can't even play until tomorrow. 

You have only today to complete the demo. The rewards from Alpha & Beta will also be available in case you missed those previously.

Played the shit out of the Alpha. Beat everything in normal and twilight mode. Then decided to do co-op and help other players for quite some time. The alpha was pure fun. I loved the different battle stances and the multiple moves the game offers you to learn as well as the loot-system and the variety in weaponry and armour.

Did anything change in the beta and people have to be frightened with the developement after the alpha? No, not really. I'm still addicted to the game and finished both missions and the twilight one as well. I noticed a slight decrease in difficulty, but it is not something to be worried about. Like someone said above you won't get swarmed with enemies this time and I felt like the boss fight was easier. Really looking forward to play the full game. 

• Like 1

I completed the Twilight mission on our first attempt with @renatabls a few minutes ago. I'm gonna post the video here once is done uploading which will probably be tomorrow. To be quite honest i though the Twilight mission was going to be extremely hard. I made it solo until the last part of the boss on the twilight version, before i decided to give renatabls a hand. The boss is really not that difficult once you know what she is doing and the twilight mission just makes some normal monsters spawn once her health is depleted a couple of times.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aranea Highwind said:

The boss is really not that difficult once you know what she is doing and the twilight mission just makes some normal monsters spawn once her health is depleted a couple of times.

What? I went back to this mission twice yesterday and cleared the stage/defeated the boss. She did not spawn a single enemy in any of my three fights. This is why was so dissapointed with the nightmare boss, to me it was the regular boss with zero changes...

Ok, leaving spawning mobs aside, was the nightmare boss fight any different in terms of her combos/aggro?

49 minutes ago, timey77 said:

What? I went back to this mission twice yesterday and cleared the stage/defeated the boss. She did not spawn a single enemy in any of my three fights. This is why was so dissapointed with the nightmare boss, to me it was the regular boss with zero changes...

Ok, leaving spawning mobs aside, was the nightmare boss fight any different in terms of her combos/aggro?

Certain encounters are different for some reason (how and why it is unknown but my guess this is purely random). On the Twilight mission that huge monster that's holding the key, sometimes spawn with the iron balls (just like during the alpha) which makes the encounter much harder. Ogrees is pretty much the same on the Twilight mission, only difference is that some yokai's spawn when her health is depleted. Here's a video of my entire run on the Twilight mission The Bleeding Lily.