Nioh: Looking Death in the Face

Aranea Highwind

The demo was fairly straightforward, the boss was one of the easier ones we've faced so far, and while I had a few deaths, mainly from stamina mismanagement...and falling into water, nothing was difficult, even on twilight.   A bit worrying that there were four shrines in such a small area which made the mission way too easy, and more or less made the short-cut redundant.   Over numerous play-throughs I never once saw either of the bosses with extra help.   Ogress was always alone and the village boat boss never had his iron balls, although I would think it easier if he did, given that's his first phase rather than the second phase I always faced with spamming yokai pools and lots of flailing.   It could be a co-op mission modification, I haven't touched co-op as yet, not the alpha, beta nor the trial so it's the only thing I can think of, as I said, numerous times I ran the missions, solo, never once saw that change.

Glad they patched the Muneshige fight, no more Entangle spam thankfully.   I did fall a few times to him, he's a good fight, but patience and strategy and he'll fall.   The menus are a lot cleaner, especially the skill customisation screen.   I liked the farming materials aspect and their use at the blacksmith.   Was also pleased to see status weapons, managed to find poison and paralysis weapons and the chain blade was a welcome addition.   There were a lot of good changes and introductions, rarities on weapon/armour/artefact perks, enemy model changes for twilight etc...   All in all, a good demo, just hope the final game doesn't have shrines spammed everywhere.   Still hyped though! 

Edited by RedMustang72

• 2 weeks later...

Reviews are just the personal opinion of the person reviewing a video game and it varies from each individual. I'm quite surprise that a website like IGN who can be controversial at times when reviewing video games, gave Nioh a score of 9.6/10. I suppose that Team Ninja delivered an amazing title after 10+ years of canceling and rebooting Nioh. Cannot wait to play Nioh tomorrow.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/02/nioh-review

I think most of the reviews are spot-on, Nioh is brilliant, loving every minute of it.   I've only cleared the first region, completely, including twilight missions, and about half the second region and I'm utterly hooked.   Combat is so much fun, the areas are vibrant, sub mission extras are nicely done, even if some are small one area arenas, it's a nice change of pace.  Bosses are well done, skill trees, item management, weapon and armour customisation (fashion Nioh lol)...there's so much peripheral content to keep track of, haven't had this much fun with a game in a while!

Maybe a gripe is so far, it's a little too easy.  I have died a number of times but nothing compared to a Souls game given the time played.   It's possible it's just a combination of being a day one Souls player and having played the alpha, beta and trial to death, that said, it is early and that might easily change.   I've heard the story isn't spectacular, and it'll never have the kind of fan theory and lore of a Souls game, but really, it's such a blast to play, and so far the story has been just fine for me.

Wanted to give these guys a plug, Pretty Good Gaming, enjoy their vids and they share my disdain for many of the things wrong with the industry.  Here's a quick Nioh round-up: