Thane of Falkreath-problems

xSuspicious

Hi fellow adventurers! 

I was going to work towards becoming thane of Falkreath (so that I could purchase land). The Jarl asked me to clear the bandit camp Knifepoint Ridge and I obliged, as any good dragonborn would do.

I was doing the Daedric quest Boethiah's Calling. I came to the part where I was going to retrieve the Ebony Mail. And where does the Daedric Prince of deceit lead me? You guessed it; Knifepoint Ridge. I don't really think that this will cause a problem with my long term plans, so I finish the quest, and go on playing like normal. It was only now I was starting to focus on Master Architect. I remembered that the Jarl of Falkreath wanted me to kill the bandit leader, and I sort of thought that he would appear now that I wasn't doing a specific quest. I go back to Knifepoint Ridge to find the place completely void of people. "Ok," I think. "I'll just wait it out. Play as normal until they respawn." 

Today I checked Knifepoint Ridge again, and the bandits had in fact respawned, but there was no bandit leader there. Now I'm stuck without Thanehood of Falkreath, and without that I won't get the trophy. 

And just FYI: Knifepoint Ridge was never marked as "cleared". 

- Suspicious

Edit: The link leads to the PS3 version of the trophy, but the description is the same  xD

Edited by OneSuspiciousWaffle

Do you have a previous save you can go back to before you went in there for the Daedric quest? Have you also checked the Miscellaneous section in the quest log to see if it updated for you to go collect the bounty? Sometimes it'll update even when it isn't active.

I wish I could be more of a help beyond that. As soon as I left Helgen, instead of going to Riverwood, I went to Falkreath, and clearing Knifepoint Ridge was the first thing I did, so I haven't had that issue.

• Like 1

I haven't gotten far enough in the story, but isn't Falkreath one of the holds that can be transferred to the opposite side of the civil war during the Season Unending peace conference late in the main story? Maybe you can facilitate that transfer of ownership, then see if the new Jarl will give you a new quest? If not, you'll probably have to start over for that trophy.

Had you not started and finished the civil war storyline, what I would've suggested is (assuming you received the quest from the Imperial-aligned Siddgeir first), is to side with the Stormcloaks and once Dengeir of Stuhn is in power, he should give you his own quest to purchase the property.

Also, I'm just now thinking that if you completed the civil war storyline, you'll bypass the peace conference entirely. So unless the bandit leader magically reappears, you probably will have to start a new game.

And just FYI: Knifepoint Ridge was never marked as "cleared".

Also, for future reference, if you go to a new dungeon that you've never done before and complete a quest in it, like a main story quest or a side quest (something that has it's own name and separate journal entry), that location never seems to show up as "Cleared", no matter how many times you clean it out after the fact. You have to "Clear" the dungeon before you do a real quest in it. For instance, Bloated Man's Grotto never shows up as cleared in my game, because the first time I visited it was while doing the Ill Met By Moonlight daedric quest. Just some weird thing that Skyrim does.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1

Thanks for the answers. I didn't have a local save file from (since I upgraded to PS4 Pro yesterday, and got rid of my PS4) which was what made me panic. Thankfully I had transferred a good amount of old saves to my PS+ cloud prior to factory resetting my old PS4, and I actually found one from only a few hours before starting Boethiah's Calling. Gonna try that save now, as it should work. 

Also, for future reference, if you go to a new dungeon that you've never done before and complete a quest in it, like a main story quest or a side quest (something that has it's own name and separate journal entry), that location never seems to show up as "Cleared", no matter how many times you clean it out after the fact. You have to "Clear" the dungeon before you do a real quest in it. For instance, Bloated Man's Grotto never shows up as cleared in my game, because the first time I visited it was while doing the Ill Met By Moonlight daedric quest. Just some weird thing that Skyrim does.

I actually remember reading this way back when I started playing Skyrim on the PS3, but I must've forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me, as it might get me out of these confusing situations in the future.  :yay: