Happy 10th anniversary, PS3!

Undead Wolf

I remember when I first got my PS3. I had no idea about trophies and I used to think demo's were full games so when I loaded the PS Store for the first time I was like "holy shit there are so many free games!". The first games I got were Little Big Planet and Army of Two. We got a 30 day + membership with the console and you better believe I had no idea what that was either so I used it instantly and downloaded the free + game at the time, which was James Pond 2 (a PSOne Classic). I never even played it, I just wanted to brag to my cousin that I now owned 3 total games, hahah.

There is a lot more stories about my stupidity and a lot that revolve around PS Home as well. I did, however, solely play Little Big Planet for 3 years. I'm not even joking. That was all I played for an entire 3 years and it was somehow enough to keep me playing day after day.

• Like 3

And what a good 10 years they were. I still remember getting my fat PS3, and then the night it YLOD'd on me. Then I got a new one (the middle one in the picture) that my dog knocked down, and I'm surprised it still works despite that. But yeah, I remember all the SixAxis gimmick games, a lot of the early games like Resistance and Killzone 2, and how mindblowing they were at the time. Hell even Modern Warfare made me hyped at the time. It was always fun to go to Blockbuster every other weekend to rent a new game to see what the PS3 could dish out at the time.

Also thanks for reminding me it's been 10 years. It's always nice to be reminded of how time flies. I guess I need to head on down to the liquor store, so I can drink away these thoughts like any respectable person would. 

WpJJM3k.gif

I hope it was worth it :|

Edited by Redgrave
  • Like 1

Games like Killzone 2, Little Big Planet 1, and Demon's Souls drew me to the console, and were the first games I picked up when I got my PS3 (Slim Model 1) back in... I think it was 2010. I also loved (and miss) PS Home, where I met a lot of nice people, made some good friends, and had a ton of fun customising my avatar. I remember using the XMB, watching the background move, and thinking how much more clean and refined the UI was in comparison to the 360's. Seeing games like Killzone 2 and LBP1 in action was also a blast. At the time, those games both looked absolutely stunning to me.

I've still got my PS3 Slim, though I've not played it as much since I got a new PC back in April. I'm definitely going to keep it around, though. I plan on picking up a few more PS1 Classics and playing the few exclusives for it (like those above) that I love so much.

Edited by Jennifer

Some of my favorite memories on the PS3 involved the 3D virtual world/social app PlayStation Home. I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I LOVED PSH, and put thousands of hours into it over the years. One memory I have is when me and 5 of my friends created a clan called Panda Fam. Initially it was just us 5. The one rule rule in Panda Fam was WEAR THE PANDA HEAD that you earned from completing a challenge in the WipEout area on Home.

By the time Home closed down in March of this year, Panda Fam had grown from a humble circle of friends who just liked to goof off into a phenomenon of over 200 friends. It was the greatest thing ever. I am still friends with the 4 other founders.

I cherish my memories of PSH dearly.

• Like 2

I got mine in 2009, 5th december for my birthday, i was pretty much hooked up with the Nintendo Wii (funny thing is Wii's 10th anniversary is in 2 days :P) and didn't care about the other consoles other than the PSP (which i adore), but once i got mine, i really loved it. I remember buying it along with a Collector edition of Disgaea 3 that was sold somewhere either online or in a retailer, can't remember exactly. And that game just blew my mind for some reason. Afterwards i was introduced to more beautiful games like Uncharted 2, Ni No Kuni, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Agarest 2 and the first two Naruto Storm games along with so many early games.

Anyways happy anniversary PS3, you will always have a special place in hell my heart ^_^

• Like 3

I remember getting the PS3 back around 2008. We were having renovations done on our house, and along with that came the need for a new TV. We eventually got a Sony TV that had a deal that came with a discount on a PS3 so we snatched that up as well. I remember playing Need for Speed Undercover (the only game we had at the time) for hours on end while my parents painted the walls behind me on our new 30 inch flat screen TV... it was wonderful :) . I couldn't imagine a game looking any better :D .

As time went on, memories continued to be made. The good: spending night after night playing Cod or Battlefield with mates, and the bad: Purchasing 'Beijing 2008' as my 2nd game for the system, only to find out it was full of mini games I was shit at! I played a racing game with a steering wheel and pedals for the first time. I began a new hobby in hunting trophies which lead to the feeling of absolute elation after finally beating the Sebastian Vettel Challenges and obtaining the prestigious GT5 platinum. Even as the television was put into retirement from actually watching TV shows, it and the PS3 continued to partner together to create many, many memories.

Yet, as with all good things, it didn't last... the phat ps3 grew old. It couldn't handle the late-nighters as it could in it's youth. Eventually, in mid 2013, it coughed and spluttered through it's few last revolutions of the disk in the tray and sadly passed away. The widowed TV found a new partner, a slimmer model, and while they say size doesn't matter, 12GB of space just wasn't the same (and yeah I changed the hard drive, but come on... none of the other versions are as nice as the good old phat ps3 ). Eventually the pair would witness a child they dubbed 'PS4' as it entered the domain in November 2013. As time passed the PS3 found itself being used less and less, but still used and never forgotten.

And that's where we are today, I've had many great times with the Ps3 over the years (not quite the full 10 from launch, more like 8 or so) and still foresee many more great times ahead; I haven't even played masterpieces such as Uncharted 2, the first 2 infamous games or The Last of Us yet, so I don't think the Ps3 is going to be out of work in a while ;) . Happy birthday buddy, thanks for all the good times :) .

• Like 2

I actually got my PS3 pretty late cause I simply grew up with Nintendo. But one day it was really time to get one, and now the good old fat lady is still here, working like a charm! Never wanted to get a slim or super slim, fat lady for the win!

No specific game made me buy the PS3, but I do have some nice memories now (Tales of Xillia, Tales of Graces f, Odin Sphere, Armored Core, Final Fantasy, Gundam Reborn, Kingdom Hearts and much more).

What a special and amazing system! She came to me on the 30th September 2011 in the slim model. First two games I got were Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction and Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time. Shame that Tools of Destruction didn't have trophies that I could look back on.

I think I'm getting some nostalgic tears now. :S

I love you PS3!  <3

I got my ps3 in 2008 when gta 4 came out. After I finished that game to almost 100% the trophy patch came out and told me to start a new game

in order to get some. I was pissed, even though I had no clue what trophies were back then.

Nevertheless. I got into trophy hunting pretty quickly and love the system till this day. This console had so many awesome titles that I would

actually say that this is the best console ever. And I am coming from the NES era ;)

The story of the fat lady also ends with a GTA title. GTA 5 came out, I was on vacation, got up early in the morning to buy a copy and during the

first mission I had the YLOD. After 5 years it broke the day GTA 5 came out!  :devil:

Now I have the super slim and still enjoy the amazing library. 

• Like 1

Wow, a decade already. Happy anniversary PS3. I got my first one back in 2007 (a PS3 Phat) with 2 controllers, Motorstorm, and Resistance Fall of Men for €600. Though back then I didn't have a HDMI-cable, so there's wasn't a lot of difference in graphics. After getting one, I was stunned. Then a year later there was this little notification in the upper right corner of the screen when playing Prince of Persia. That was the first trophy. At first I had no idea what those were, but decided to search for some information about it when those notifications popped a few more times.

In 2010 the first PS3 broke about a month after the warranty expired, which sucked. A few months later I got a PS3 Slim and still have that one. Hoping to play on it for many more years. Though the move controller that came with it has been collecting dust all this time :lol:.

• Like 2

Cheers, Sony.

Kevin_Butler.jpg

What a fantastic system the PS3 was. I remember getting my 60gb system at midnight and playing the shit out of Resistance: Fall of Man. Sony needs to bring back Resistance and Kevin Butler. Resistance and Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire, good times. 

Parker

• Like 2

The PS3 beginning was rought and hard but in the middle of it's life cycle it start delivering good games like crazy and so many good exclusives much more than their generation competition . It was the console where i did invest my money on to buy games for thr first time and really gave them true value and dedication . I just love to increase my PS3 collection and don't even feel the need and rush to upgrade to a PS4 anytime soon. PS3 you truly came out on top on the end of the 7th generation imo and surely many other games who have experience your gaming environment .

I salute you and may your legacy live on for many more years . Congratz and cheers to you , my dear PS3 !

• Like 1