Happy 10th anniversary, PS3!

Undead Wolf

I think that you're putting aside VERY important elements that made Sony raised the price that much.

Backward compatibility by hardware.

Bluray (which allowed Sony to released huge games in only one disc)

SuperAudio Cd player.

If you see the initial fat PS3 for what it was An Entertainment system, it was amazing, one of the best.

In fact, when PS4 was announced and watching the already outdated specs I was like, just give me a revised ps3 with more internal memory, I'm fine a couple more of years. But the investment was already done so the had to release the new console asap.

I love bluray format, all those storage ports sd/microsd, four usb ports, bluetooth.

Of course there were good reasons behind why the PS3 was so expensive. Blu-ray was still a new thing, and even just the Blu-ray players themselves were extremely expensive back then. That alone made the PS3 a great deal to some people. Then of course there was the Cell processor which produced games like Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us which still look incredible to this day. Games like that just weren't possible on the other systems. And yeah, the original PS3 was fully backwards compatible with both the PS1 and PS2. From what I understand, they had to have physical components of the PS2 inside the PS3, and that of course wouldn't of been cheap. It was some very impressive hardware, and it put the Xbox 360 and especially the Wii to shame. It was ahead of its time. Maybe too much ahead though, because $599 is still very expensive for a console and was out of many peoples price range. I think Sony have learned their lesson from that with how they priced the PS4. And I agree, the PS4 was a much less impressive console at launch. I mean it's nothing more than a mid range PC at best. I think the PS4's underwhelming specs is partially what led to Sony's decision to release the PS4 Pro.

:yay: :yay:¡¡¡Happy anniversary, PS3!!! :yay: :yay:

Along with my brother, our mother and grandmother gave us a ps3 in 2009 that is the one I still use today. Then my brother moved to his Xbox 360 and I stayed with the ps3, enjoying his games during all these years. The time I enjoy with this games are unforgettable moments for me. 

Thanks for those moments and for being at my desk for all these years, waiting for them to be more ^_^

I fucking love my PS3, I have so many games for it but my favorites were:

• PlayStation All-Star Battle Royale
  • Original Hyperdimension Neptunia
  • Call of Duty : Black Ops
  • God of War Saga
  • The Lord of the rings: Conquest
  • Sonic Generations

dhc5GpQ.jpg

Also it gave us the anarchy know as PlayStation Home. God I miss that

a7iwLlx.jpg

• Like 4

Happy Birthday PS3

But eh, I'll say it; Xbox 360 was better game-wise for the majority of both consoles life cycles

PS3 obviously brought us Uncharted etc but damn did that console suck

And the navigation of menus was slow as fuck

At least PS4 is great <31

lol, what a casual you are. Xbox did nothing better than PS3

To the topic, I still use PS3 every day, IMO best console ever.

200.gif#2

Got mine in 2009 as a gift from my husband after our second child was born because 'a bunch of flowers wasn't going to cut it'  :wub:

I had to replace the hard drive when it borked, and I lost all my saves, and that's when i invested in PS+.

My first games were INfamous and ..... something else I can't remember  :lol: but it had swords and chains and a lady not wearing much in the cold....

I still use the PS3, mainly for Mass Effect 3 MP and the occasional free PS+ game. It's great :)

Is it Heavenly Sword what you're thinking of?

I got my first PS3 a few years ago, I can't help but think it was about 2009, I remember going into an Argos shop with my parents I was looking thought the catalog they had. I've been a playstation person since the PS1 so while looking through the Argos catalog I ended up in the console section & decided to get the PS3. As well as getting the console you were able to pick 2 of the 3 games they had to go with the bundle, I ended up picking Uncharted Drake's Fortune & Infamous but to this day I can't remember what the 3rd game was. It wasn't till about 2011 that that PS3 I had decided it didn't want to know anymore & broke so had to buy a new one & for about £300/£350 it was the console along with 7 games & 1 film & that console has been with me ever since. The very first platinum I got for the console was for Beyond: Two Souls, I may not be as much as an achievement whore as some people but was pleased about getting that first platinum. I still use it from time to time but rotate between the PS3 & my PS4. The only trouble is I've got a back log of games to play for both consoles 

Edited by palmersib
  • Like 1

Heh. I went PSP, to PS3 Big (wasn't an 80gb model), then getting a Slim later on, as an upgrade to that.

I think the upgrade was 4 or 5 years ago.

You know you can't stream directly from the PS3, and need a streaming device and a thing to fix the signal, right?

Indeed :P and I have all the equipment already since I also stream PSVita content via my PSTV :D Hell I was streaming Castlevania HD today from my PS3 :D

Indeed :P and I have all the equipment already since I also stream PSVita content via my PSTV :D Hell I was streaming Castlevania HD today from my PS3 :D

If its a Game Capture HD, then you have good equipment already. Might need more HD cables though.

I have always admired the technology and power of the PS3. I wanted it to be my primary console and for Christmas in 2008 I opened up the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Limited Edition PlayStation 3. The home console was gorgeous clad in gun metal gray. I had never heard of Metal Gear Solid, and at my age I feel many of themes were lost, but I appreciated the cinematic quality and stealth game play. Other titles I played were Little Big Planet 2, Resistance 2, Resident Evil 5, CoD: World at War, GTA IV, Buzz!: Quiz TV, and Killzone 2. I was very happy with the PS3, but something was missing.

Many of my friends went the X360 route and would share experiences of the late nights playing online in GTA IV and Modern Warfare. I felt left out and ended up trading in my PS3 for a X360 Elite after 5 months, there was no way I could keep it :(.

To this day I'm a little sad I didn't keep that beautiful console and stick with PlayStation. But the past is in the past. Congrats PlayStation 3 on your 10th anniversary, may the Cell microprocessor live on.

If its a Game Capture HD, then you have good equipment already. Might need more HD cables though.

Not really, My setup is and has been up and running for over a year now :P all via HDMI and my Capture card has native HDCP compatibility too.

Feel free to track me down on twitch (kouenhasuki) if you would like to see how nice I have it running :P

To the guy who called me a casual :') I had both consoles from their prospective release dates
However Xbox just felt better to me
It had some fantastic exclusives and the fact I could play Left 4 Dead on it meant a lot more to me than anything but the Uncharted trilogy on PS3. Far from a casual
So next time you decide to randomly target and attack me, just fucking don't :')

Edited by Stevieboy

Not really, My setup is and has been up and running for over a year now :P all via HDMI and my Capture card has native HDCP compatibility too.

Feel free to track me down on twitch (kouenhasuki) if you would like to see how nice I have it running :P

Mine has been running about the same. I am all HDMI except the USB to PC. I even have it set up so I don't need to change it every time I decide to stream.

I can also stream PS2, Wii, Gamecube, and other similar consoles in HDMI, if I can get a certain piece of technology to work properly.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
On 11/17/2016 at 0:57 AM, Remilia Scarlet said:

Some of my favorite memories on the PS3 involved the 3D virtual world/social app PlayStation Home. I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I LOVED PSH, and put thousands of hours into it over the years. One memory I have is when me and 5 of my friends created a clan called Panda Fam. Initially it was just us 5. The one rule rule in Panda Fam was WEAR THE PANDA HEAD that you earned from completing a challenge in the WipEout area on Home.

By the time Home closed down in March of this year, Panda Fam had grown from a humble circle of friends who just liked to goof off into a phenomenon of over 200 friends. It was the greatest thing ever. I am still friends with the 4 other founders.

I cherish my memories of PSH dearly.

Home was so fun! My PS3 was stolen several years ago but I made so many lovely friends! I still keep in touch with a couple of them and meet with them 10 years later ? I had a few more close friends I didn't have a chance to exchange info with, ugh I wish I can remember their usernames to contact them again!