So apparently PSN ID change could come in the future...

Maxie_M0us3

This thread seems to get getting a lot of mixed responses. Some of us seem to be all up in arms on those who desperately want a name change, and quite frankly I honestly don't care how worked up people get over this because the chances of actually seeing Sony implement this at this point in time is very slim.

Still, I have to question why Sony really hasn't addressed this when they have had many years to do so. Steam has allowed name changes for a long time. Runescape, the MMORPG I used to play extensively back in the day, allowed name changes in 2009 I believe. That was eight years ago, which is a long time for most people and Sony easily could of implemented a name change feature during that time. But they didn't, I guess because they didn't care or they felt not enough people wanted a name change feature to begin with.

Most of us on these forums are mature enough to not name our accounts silly names like "XX343Boss3434XX" or "Megapkmage812". When we were younger and still growing up we probably did stupid things, and the internet is no different. For some of us this was over a decade ago, we have since matured, gotten older and realized those names we chose for our accounts now sound silly and childish.

I came rather late to the party. I didn't play on the Playstation 3 until the beginning of 2013. My first trophy was from Red Dead Redemption which was a game I was meaning to play for years. Many of the names I wanted were already taken, and with millions of PSN accounts it can be a bit difficult to figure out a name that really sticks out. But the name you have is the name you have to live with, and that seems to be a problem with a couple of us on this website.

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Vincent Brooks said:

Hate to necro an old topic, but more news has been popping up lately about this.  Apparently an interview with the company shows they're seriously considering implementing this by 2018:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/09/sony-may-allow-psn-name-changes-in-2018/

Well, just like they were seriously considering few years ago :) 

Rumors that probably will remain rumors for years (sadly).

• Like 1

I remember sony explaining that they tied up everything on your PSN ID, purchases and things like that and they were not that easy to crack to allow to make a change, i am not familiar with network code or things like that, but I remember at PSX last year, this question was asked to Shawn Layden and he said, "hopefully by next PSX you wont ask me that question" regarding PSN Name changes, now with the survey they are doing, i think its positive for people who want to go ahead and make those changes, my hope is they are coming soon. fingers crossed!

According to a recent survey, Sony is exploring the possibility of letting users change their PSN name. It also mentions that they will allow players to change their ID multiple times for free but they'll only be able to do it once every six months.

Sony went on to say, "We can't be sure whether this feature will be added or not, but we can be sure your opinions on the matter will be heard." So this potential new feature isn't 100% confirmed to be happening but it's looking optimistic at least...

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2018/02/09/sony-survey-wants-to-know-if-you-are-interested-in-changing-your-psn-id/

On 11/02/2018 at 8:42 AM, HARD_ANGEL_FAN said:

but I remember at PSX last year, this question was asked to Shawn Layden and he said, "hopefully by next PSX you wont ask me that question"

Maybe he meant "hopefully by next PSX you will have realised that it is never going to happen, so you won't ask me that question"

• 7 months later...

I’m going to call bullshit on that one unless it happens. 

At this point I’m not going to bother with a name change should it come out. Unless Sony implements a feature to let us know what your previous name was, there is no way to track it down. 

I have dozens of friends on my PSN account and for all they know I could of just removed them from my list, or my account got suspended or whatever. 

It seems like it's finally going to happen, probably before the end of this year if I had to guess. I mean yeah, there have been rumours that PSN name changes are coming for many years now, but this one seems like the most credible yet. And of course Shawn Layden himself said "I hope we'll see events occur that you don't have to ask me that question next PSX" when asked when we'll be able to change our PSN name at the last PSX. At the time, I think he genuinely believed there was going to be a PSX in December this year like the rest of us, and we're only a few months away from when that would have happened.

I'm just curious how this is going to work. Like maybe you'll only be able to see your changed PSN name on PS4, but it'll still be the original on PS3 and Vita. I hope they've figured out how to change it across all systems. They also need to make it possible to look at someone's previous names by looking at their profile, otherwise on the day the feature becomes available, my friends list is going to be full of strangers. :P I'm not bothered by my PSN name, but I would like to clean it up a little if possible.