So This Game Looks... Grindy...

BIOHAZARD-R-US

Looks like an easy plat, just incredibly time consuming... Destroying 250,000 buildings, complete the story mode with all the overlords for a total of 4 playthroughs, and some collectibles for good measure. Shoulda called this Destruction Simulator. The game itself looks kinda cheap too, like it's an upgraded mobile game. The game will release on PS3, PS4 and PS Vita in December, this new release window being the 3rd time it was delayed. PS Vita is single player only, PS3 has 2 player multiplayer, and PS4 has 4 player multiplayer. Not sure whether that's local or online though. Space Overlords is currently $7.99 on Steam and has a 5/10 rating from a whopping 2 reviews from Steam purchasers. All 12 reviews counted the game would get a 4/10.

Side note about the trophy list compared to the Steam Achievement list, there are 3 multiplayer trophies that did not make this list even though the multiplayer is still in the game:

ONE BY ONE

Play and win a multiplayer game session with each of the playable races

OVERLORD DESTROYER

Defeat 100 competing Overlords in local or online multiplayer

OVERLORD BANE

Defeat 500 competing Overlords in local or online multiplayer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MMDE said:

Not sure about grindy, but it is frustrating. I'm currently playing the game! :P It's repetitive though.

I guess the best way to describe the game is Godzilla, just more frustrating.

Repetitive and going for trophies that need 250,000 of anything is grindy. Good luck with the game though. Does it run well at least?

56 minutes ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

Repetitive and going for trophies that need 250,000 of anything is grindy. Good luck with the game though. Does it run well at least?

Run well? Decently, like the frame rate is fine for the most part. The issue is navigating around. Constant stunning when you get hit by attacks that can be hard to avoid. These giant yellow balls going around sometimes cornering you for instant death. Load screens every time you retry, and they take like 20 seconds or so.

omg, the level I'm on now. You get instant killed from the get go by these giant yellow balls, unless you go into some specific direction, which I've yet to figure out after two tries. The load screens every time you die is annoying AF. Did it now, but damn this level is focused on that those yellow balls. 3 of them and they are massive.

So far, only two people on PSN, not PSNP, PSN, has beat first chapter (7 or 8 levels or whatever). That's the size of each chapter. I've beat second too, near the end of third. :\

Not sure if the grind for 250k is that long when you got a level editor.

Edit: beat the level now. Not that hard, just damn load screens when you die like 5 times with just 5-30 seconds of gameplay time, it's frustrating. This is not unique to this level. The game often start you out with a death to avoid or in something that harms you so you lose health no matter what from the get go.

I totally forgot to mention a couple of strange and annoying things.

The game will always default at starting a new game when you select to play single player. I'm betting it will delete your progress if you do so, so beware of this and select to continue instead. Also, the game will always ask you if you wanna do the tutorial level again, even when you select continue and have beat half the game. And the game will always default to one of the useless camera angels, so you always gotta change, which takes like 5 seconds and some button presses. 5 camera angels, and the one that is best for you more than 95% of the time is not the default. :\

Edited by MMDE

Yes, the game is frustrating, but it's very doable. The frustration will likely turn many players away from the plat, so it will likely stay ultra rare. But, only 25 people in the world has synched the game on PSN. Nobody has the plat, but the other guy who  has beat chapter 1 has everything but that 250k grind trophy.

If anyone wonders or is interested, I'm going to write a trophy guide for the game now.

The plat takes about 15-20 hours depending on how fast you beat the game and how efficiently you grind. At the very least, looking at around 13-14 hours, like that's the minimum. The grind takes like 8 hours after beating the game.

EDIT:

Because people seem interested, I want to make sure the information is as correct as possible! Here's the grind!

You can do it while you do something else like browsing the internet, watching videos or tv, maybe even playing a game! Just require 4 clicks every 30 seconds or so.

I want to point out that the 250k destruction grind can be done so you destroy 194 buildings every like 35-40 seconds, see my guide. After beating the story line, I only had like 20k, if not less, destroyed buildings. 230 000 / 194 = rounding up 1186. So 1186 times I'd say 40 seconds, because you're not a machine and will be slow sometimes. 1186*40=47440. So 47440, which is about 13 hours and 11 minutes or so. So scratch that about 8 hours, it's 13.

But the good news is that this grind is piss easy and require very little of you, and you can do it while you watch tv, browse the internet or even play another game. Why? Because all you do is restart the level once the round has started (you immediately destroy 194 buildings when the round start). It's the load time that takes time, it took pretty much exactly 30 seconds when I timed it. So then the 5-10 extra seconds is just waiting a second for the destruction to count, open the pause menu and select restart. That pause menu is a bit slow, so yeah, some few seconds is wasted there too! :( But this works well alongside doing something else that doesn't require intense attention all the time.

Difficulty? Well, like 2-4/10, and it's mostly due to a couple of annoying levels. To make it like 2-3/10, you must take advantage of some game mechanic that requires a little bit of grinding.

Is the game good? No, and especially not from a technical standpoint.

Is the game fun? Eh, it has some okay moments. The fun is however lost in the frustration from all the technical problems.

I mentioned some stuff earlier, but here's some issues with the level creator. When adding stuff to a planet, sometimes the X-axis of the controller is inverted, sometimes it's not. Depends on what you select, and it's pretty random. Very annoying! I found no way to test a level before I publish it! :| You could place far less stuff on your planet than what you find on the planets in the story line. Browsing the user created levels is hell. You can only sort by date and rating. There's no searching, and you're only shown 5 or so levels at a time... In other words, if someone gives your level a bad rating, nobody is ever going to see it again once new levels have been published. And when you play a level and finish it, you're given the option to rate the level, starts at 3 stars, so people are likely going to give you that AKA the level disappears. But after that you're not given the option to restart the level, which you can see there's button prompt on the screen for, but instead you're just automatically taken out of the level and either back to where you're at in the single player story line (like wtf???) or sometimes back to main menu (and you gotta find the level over again and select character etc etc).

Damn load screens between each restart of a level... Every time you die or whatever, gotta wait 30 seconds, and just to add extra salt, you often gotta move out of the way from where you start and you got a count down before you can actually attack etc.

Why stop there? The last boss gets stuck if you change camera angel from the terrible default...

blah blah blah, technical mess! :P

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 4

On 12/11/2016 at 8:47 PM, MMDE said:

If anyone wonders or is interested, I'm going to write a trophy guide for the game now.

The plat takes about 15-20 hours depending on how fast you beat the game and how efficiently you grind. At the very least, looking at around 13-14 hours, like that's the minimum. The grind takes like 8 hours after beating the game.

Difficulty? Well, like 2-4/10, and it's mostly due to a couple of annoying levels. To make it like 2-3/10, you must take advantage of some game mechanic that requires a little bit of grinding.

Is the game good? No, and especially not from a technical standpoint.

Is the game fun? Eh, it has some okay moments. The fun is however lost in the frustration from all the technical problems.

I mentioned some stuff earlier, but here's some issues with the level creator. When adding stuff to a planet, sometimes the X-axis of the controller is inverted, sometimes it's not. Depends on what you select, and it's pretty random. Very annoying! I found no way to test a level before I publish it! :| You could place far less stuff on your planet than what you find on the planets in the story line. Browsing the user created levels is hell. You can only sort by date and rating. There's no searching, and you're only shown 5 or so levels at a time... In other words, if someone gives your level a bad rating, nobody is ever going to see it again once new levels have been published. And when you play a level and finish it, you're given the option to rate the level, starts at 3 stars, so people are likely going to give you that AKA the level disappears. But after that you're not given the option to restart the level, which you can see there's button prompt on the screen for, but instead you're just automatically taken out of the level and either back to where you're at in the single player story line (like wtf???) or sometimes back to main menu (and you gotta find the level over again and select character etc etc).

Damn load screens between each restart of a level... Every time you die or whatever, gotta wait 30 seconds, and just to add extra salt, you often gotta move out of the way from where you start and you got a count down before you can actually attack etc.

Why stop there? The last boss gets stuck if you change camera angel from the terrible default...

blah blah blah, technical mess! :P

Had this in my wishlist so just going to delete it now. So many broken games of late. Dam

Because people seem interested, I want to make sure the information is as correct as possible! Here's the grind!

You can do it while you do something else like browsing the internet, watching videos or tv, maybe even playing a game! Just requires 4 clicks every 30 seconds or so.

I want to point out that the 250k destruction grind can be done so you destroy 194 buildings every like 35-40 seconds, see my guide. After beating the story line, I only had like 20k, if not less, destroyed buildings. 230 000 / 194 = rounding up 1186. So 1186 times I'd say 40 seconds, because you're not a machine and will be slow sometimes. 1186*40=47440. So 47440, which is about 13 hours and 11 minutes or so. So scratch that about 8 hours, it's 13.

But the good news is that this grind is piss easy and requires very little of you, and you can do it while you watch tv, browse the internet or even play another game. Why? Because all you do is restart the level once the round has started (you immediately destroy 194 buildings when the round start). It's the load time that takes time, it took pretty much exactly 30 seconds when I timed it. So then the 5-10 extra seconds is just waiting a second for the destruction to count, open the pause menu and select restart. That pause menu is a bit slow, so yeah, some few seconds is wasted there too! :( But this works well alongside doing something else that doesn't require intense attention all the time.

I added more time stuff to the trophy guide, so people easily understand how long the game takes and where the time sinks are and what they require from you.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

The grind is not a real problem here.
But the game, expecially the story mode, is extremely frustrating and cheap. Also, the menus are way unresponsive. Sometimes i can't even restart a level, or setup a new planet properly in planet creation mode.
This platinum will be a chore... :S

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the platinum, and the total number required is not 250.000, but way higher. Possibly due to some counting glitch, i've reached exactly 288.321 building destroyed before hitting the quota for the platinum.

MMDE, if you are reading this, get in contact with me! I have some suggestions for your guide! :3

On 12/29/2016 at 4:06 PM, NekoSama87 said:

I finally got the platinum, and the total number required is not 250.000, but way higher. Possibly due to some counting glitch, i've reached exactly 288.321 building destroyed before hitting the quota for the platinum.

MMDE, if you are reading this, get in contact with me! I have some suggestions for your guide! :3

Oh? You could just contact me too you know! :P Like a PM or something, not just for me to randomly stumble upon this thread again. I don't think I had any issues with any glitches or anything, but who knows with this game really...

Edited by MMDE

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 06/01/2017 at 6:48 AM, MMDE said:

16 hours later (nothing).... haha

Damn you used to be so cheerful back in the days! What has PSNP done to you?! xD

Just wanted to say thanks for the guide as this will be available on PS+ soon, although based on what people have said here and on other sites I'm going to give it a pass.

17 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

Damn you used to be so cheerful back in the days! What has PSNP done to you?! xD

Just wanted to say thanks for the guide as this will be available on PS+ soon, although based on what people have said here and on other sites I'm going to give it a pass.

It's not mind numbing boring in your first playthrough, but it is grindy to destroy that many buildings. You can watch youtube vids or something while doing it.

On 1/5/2017 at 3:39 PM, NekoSama87 said:

Hah sorry, i didn't want to bother you too much!
Will PM you in a minute :*

Hey, how did u beat the levels? I'm stuck at planet 1 at the meridean level... Get killed once inget close lol even though there are building near it to destroy... Pls give me some tips or exploits lol

Psn XilixiR

9 minutes ago, XilixiR said:

Hey, how did u beat the levels? I'm stuck at planet 1 at the meridean level... Get killed once inget close lol even though there are building near it to destroy... Pls give me some tips or exploits lol

Psn XilixiR

Game is easy, you can check out the trophy guide I wrote for this game back when it was released. Easiest way to beat the game is create a level yourself and grind "points" from it, which can be used for abilities while playing through the story.