Is it worth it?

ToxicRedBull_

Kind of depends on how much you like Skyrim and your disposable income. I never played Skyrim on PS3 (my first time through was on 360), but from what I've read the performance is better and I can attest that the environments look quite a bit better, particularly the far off vistas (and the moon - I find it mesmerizing).  I am guessing you are in less danger of late game save file bloating on the PS4, though that is just speculation on my part.

When I picked up a PS4, I was right in the middle of Black Flag on the PS3 and I traded it in for the PS4 copy.  Just felt like playing the best version on my new system.  Probably  a waste of money for most, but I was really happy with the decision and if you feeling the same way with Skyrim, might be worth it to just take the plunge.

• Like 3

I'm probably going to be the outlier here but imo you shouldnt bother buying it again. I've played the ps3 version and I can tell you that the only issue I've encountered was just the occasional framerate dips near demanding areas but the game picks itself back up and the game continues to run smoothly. I've had no glitches with the latest patch installed and the loading times ranged from 20-30 secs at most. I did turn off auto save so that did it for me.

I mean you're practically paying the price of a full game for prettier graphics plus all the dlc.

In Canada I can get the legendary edition on ps3 for $24.99 but skyrim ps4 is $80... Which is a complete rip off granted the game is 5 years old and has been "remastered" so they can charge you again for a full priced game.

In the end it's up to you though. You have to decide with your own money and of course youre free to choose how to spend it. I just liked to provide my take on it.

Cheers.

If you enjoyed it on PS3 then I highly recommend getting the PS4 version. It runs so much better and having it look better is just a nice bonus. The load times are also much shorter on PS4.

Plus there are a lot of subtle graphical changes that really help bring the game to life in ways that just weren't possible on PS3. Plus mods. I haven't tried any yet, I'm still loving the game as it is!

• 4 months later...

So continuing the discussion: PS+ price for PS4 Skyrim SE is $30 US.  I already have ESO Online, but wonder if Skyrim is a better game?  Also, is it a pay for play (like ESO Online) to get special perks?  Thanks for any ideas...

40 minutes ago, Lorajet said:

So continuing the discussion: PS+ price for PS4 Skyrim SE is $30 US.  I already have ESO Online, but wonder if Skyrim is a better game?  Also, is it a pay for play (like ESO Online) to get special perks?  Thanks for any ideas...

I find it hard to compare an MMO with a SP RPG. It might not be as stark a contrast as, say, comparing it to Call of Duty, but the two genres are quite different.

However, I can tell you that there is no "pay for play" in Skyrim. With the exception of the mods, what you see is what you get.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I know this is an old topic but imo Skyrim is a much better game than ESO possibly the best of the Elders Scrolls games. I love the Elders Scrolls games but just never found the same love for ESO as I did for the rest of the Elders Scrolls games. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 18/11/2016 at 2:20 AM, Z1MZUM said:

I think it's probably worth it, It plays better than the ps3 release so even if it's just for a smoother experience. I bought it and finished both ps3 and 360 version previously, it is a better experience now.

On 18/11/2016 at 3:05 AM, TKdovahkiin said:

The special edition is fantastic. I've played it on the PS3 a few times, the xbox 360 once, an updated PC a couple or so times, and now the PS4 - and I am liking it the best on the PS4.

There is a lot of content in Skyrim that you can take advantage of on the PS4 that was just too much for the PS3.

It really looks incredible. There is so much to do and there is so much new stuff to learn every time you play it. Don't miss it!

On 18/11/2016 at 3:54 AM, Splathew said:

If you enjoyed it on PS3 then I highly recommend getting the PS4 version. It runs so much better and having it look better is just a nice bonus. The load times are also much shorter on PS4.

On 27/04/2017 at 10:32 PM, Milkyray said:

So, did you buy it? And if so, do you like it? I love the graphic improvements. Been playing well over 200 hours now.

Question for you who have played the PS3/X360 versions as well as the PS4 one and are comparing graphics/smoothness:

Exactly how much does the PS4 version look and feel like a remaster of a six year old game, and how much does it look and feel like a current gen game?

I played Skyrim around 2012 but never managed to finish it (I'm bad at finishing big open world games). I finally got through The Witcher III this year after a few previous false starts, and I felt like trying Skyrim again once I could get it very cheaply.

Then, the Switch version arrived and I decided to get that one instead. It feels amazing and it looks great in handheld mode, but in television mode it's blatantly a PS3 era game with smoother textures.

Now, I know that the PS4 version should look better than the Switch versiion, that's not the point of this post. The Switch version looks better than the PS3/X360 version for sure but the PS4 version should look better still. The Switch version of Skyrim to me looks and feels a lot like the experience on the PS4 with Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection. Graphics, smoothness and viewing distance are all nicely improved but all are still obviously last gen games. They don't reach the level of the late last gen remasters because while the graphics have been polished, they keep the animations and model builds as rough as the originals.

Just wondering if the PS4 remaster of Skyrim manages to be better than that (compare/contrast Ezio Collection if you've played it, please), or if it's just a last gen game with some polishing as well.

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

Question for you who have played the PS3/X360 versions as well as the PS4 one and are comparing graphics/smoothness:

Exactly how much does the PS4 version look and feel like a remaster of a six year old game, and how much does it look and feel like a current gen game?

The character models look the same, but textures, and the entire world look visually stunning. Textures are apparently better than the original release on PC (Highest settings), and god rays make exploring so much more fun.

Also load times only take a couple seconds.

While I haven't played Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, or any newer releases, it's easily the best looking game I've ever played.

30 minutes ago, predator086siren said:

What about chrashes like the ps3 version? 

Can you go over 200 hours and keep playing?

i couldnt pass 50 hour mark on the ps3 version, after that i got awful loading times and some crashes

It runs much better IMO.

I've had a couple of CE-34878-0's on PS4, and once the game started lagging so hard I had to exit and reload (which did the trick). Beyond those three instances I haven't had any issues.

Found a weird trick to improve the PS3 version as well, can't remember where I read it. Delete all messages, sent and received. After I did that the game never crashed on me, except for the few times where I'd received new messages and forgotten to delete them.

EDIT: I might also add that I have two characters, one at level 68 where I've played around 120 hours and one at level 36 where I've played around 35.

Edited by Bartoulum
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, predator086siren said:

What about chrashes like the ps3 version? 

Can you go over 200 hours and keep playing?

i couldnt pass 50 hour mark on the ps3 version, after that i got awful loading times and some crashes

Have around 350 hours on one character, crashed a couple times near Morthal (Maybe around 30-50~ hours played at that time). But anywhere else I haven't had a problem.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cubone said:

The PS4 version actually crashed a fair bit before being patched, afterwards it was smooth sailing. If I hadn't bought the ps4 version I would probably get the switch version, I've just had enough of Skyrim.

I had repeated crashes until I did some research and apparently having many saved games causes repeated crashing. Once I deleted them I didn't crash except for one exception... when I built my home I wanted to have all of my cool items on the kitchen table resting on a bed of the 1000 gems that I had collected. Turns out the game can't compute more than a couple hunder items in one "cell" (ie, one load area).

• 2 years later...