WipEout remaster(s) being teased by industry insider shinobi602

madbuk

For those who aren't aware, shinobi602 has leaked plenty of things over the years, so at this point I think he's pretty trustworthy.

Recently, he has been teasing some sort of remaster/remake of WipEout. Below are a few links of these:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=220989484&postcount=14

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=220992574&postcount=30

It's not really a 'new' game but a remastering of a few of them. It's new...ish.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224791311&postcount=12

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224807580&postcount=78

If this turns out to be true, who would you guys want to see handling the remasters now that Studio Liverpool are dead and gone? I would've said Evolution Studios, but... they're gone too. Polyphony is busy with Gran Turismo at the moment.

Whoever is making these remasters, it's really exciting imo. If the remasters prove successful, could we have a new WipEout before long developed by the makers of the remasters? It'd be a dream come true for me, WipEout HD is my favourite racing game.

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 3

Greetings,

If they do re-release this game I would like to see them fix the trophy glitches from the PS3 version. Most importantly the Zone Zeus trophy glitch that people use. Also I have been unofficially banned from the PS3 Wipeout HD servers since August of 2015. I was never given an official notice that I was being banned and obviously was never given a rhyme or reason why I was being banned. At the time of the banning the Wipeout HD servers were being hosted by Evolution Studios, which I have just been informed are out of business. With that being said, a re release should include an official banning notice with rhyme and reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6PAkVeX7LE&t=9s

Edited by Papidadi

Even if it turns out not to be true, we have quite a few WipEout-like games coming up for PS4. Redout, Formula Fusion, and if Shin'en keeps up their porting we could even get FAST Racing NEO. All of which look fantastic. An actual WipEout on top of that couldn't hurt.

If I'm not mistaken, this game is being made by the former WipEout team after Sony shut them down. 

Parker

I was playing WipEout Pure on PSP the other day and it still holds the fuck up, can only imagine a modern entry in the series (no one seems to remember the Vita one, which fucking slayed by the way) would be just as good.

Also Fast Racing Neo is the only thing at the moment, outside of homebrew, that keeps my Wii U in use, so uh, that'd be swell too.

Not looking forward to beating Zico again.

There was a glitch recently discovered for that and it was never patched out of the game. However, maybe with a remaster they'll have discovered how to patch it hahaha. I doubt Zone Zeus will be possible to glitch in the remaster :D 

Greetings,

So there is a Zone Zeus trophy glitch/cheat and Beat Zico trophy glitch/cheat... SMH Not to mention the fact that a lot of gamers simply boost the MP trophies. All things considered Wipeout HD on PS3 is the most over rated platinum on all of PSN.

The fact that Wipeout HD is available for 1080p play on PS3 really makes a re-mastered version for the PS4 a total cash grab. Honestly why don't the developers just come up with some new ideas. An entirely new Wipeout game with new tracks, ships etc. would be a nice release for the faithful Wipeout franchise gamers...

Wipeout Tournament Edition?...

Greetings,

So there is a Zone Zeus trophy glitch/cheat and Beat Zico trophy glitch/cheat... SMH Not to mention the fact that a lot of gamers simply boost the MP trophies. All things considered Wipeout HD on PS3 is the most over rated platinum on all of PSN.

The fact that Wipeout HD is available for 1080p play on PS3 really makes a re-mastered version for the PS4 a total cash grab. Honestly why don't the developers just come up with some new ideas. An entirely new Wipeout game with new tracks, ships etc. would be a nice release for the faithful Wipeout franchise gamers...

Wipeout Tournament Edition?...

Oh, gee, I wonder. Maybe because the WipEout studio shut? There obviously wasn't demand for a new WipEout and this will likely be an experiment to see whether a new WipEout could possibly sell.

So if you want a new WipEout you should probably buy this total cash grab, to be honest.

• Like 1

Hello Madbuk,

Are you having a bad day Madbuk? I think you mean Studio Liverpool closed, not the Wipeout Studio. You said " There obviously wasn't demand for a new Wipeout and this will likely be an experiment to see whether a new wipeout could sell." How do you know there was not a demand for a new Wipeout?? BTW Great experiment. You are going to re market and old product to see how that sells in order to determine if people would be interested a new product. Pure Genius....not...lol

Hello Madbuk,

Are you having a bad day Madbuk? I think you mean Studio Liverpool closed, not the Wipeout Studio. You said " There obviously wasn't demand for a new Wipeout and this will likely be an experiment to see whether a new wipeout could sell." How do you know there was not a demand for a new Wipeout?? BTW Great experiment. You are going to re market and old product to see how that sells in order to determine if people would be interested a new product. Pure Genius....not...lol

Well that's how it works. Making a new game from scratch takes a lot more time and money than polishing up an old one. There has to be a reason the games stopped in the first place, so before any publisher is going to risk investing in a brand new game, they need to make sure that there's an actual fanbase or demand for the genre.

It may take a bit longer for you to get your new game, but this is likely the only chance of it happening at all. Darksiders seems to have come back from the dead due to remasters. There's no reason the same can't happen for WipEout.

• Like 1

Hello Shadiochao,

To re-iterate I have been unofficially banned from the Wipeout HD servers since August of 2015. No official notice given, no legitimate rhyme or reason given.  I will never purchase another Wipeout title as a result and in fact I am encouraging a boycott of Wipeout as a result of my unfair treatment. Just wanted to clarify as you said "It may take a bit longer for you to get your new game". If your idea of establishing demand for a new product is to re-sell a remade old product clearly you do not have marketing experience. I have personally never purchased a re-mastered version of a game, that I have already played. I would say it is a fair assumption that I am not the only.

Hello Shadiochao,

To re-iterate I have been unofficially banned from the Wipeout HD servers since August of 2015. No official notice given, no legitimate rhyme or reason given.  I will never purchase another Wipeout title as a result and in fact I am encouraging a boycott of Wipeout as a result of my unfair treatment. Just wanted to clarify as you said "It may take a bit longer for you to get your new game". If your idea of establishing demand for a new product is to re-sell a remade old product clearly you do not have marketing experience. I have personally never purchased a re-mastered version of a game, that I have already played. I would say it is a fair assumption that I am not the only.

Why create a brand new title in a risky IP that has already caused one studio's death, when you can create a remaster at a much cheaper cost to evaluate the gaming market currently to see if there is any demand for this type of game before going all-in on a new title that could very likely flop?

It's the same reason that games like Yooka Laylee and Shenmue need kickstarters, and as mentioned before it's the same reason Darksiders is being remastered instead of them just giving us a Darksiders 3 straight away.

• Like 1

Hello Shadiochao,

I don't know what happened with you and the ban, but the company who made WipEout Hd has been shut down. Maybe you could give a new game another chance, since a different developer will probably be involved?

You're not the only person who hasn't bought the same game twice. You may even be in the majority, but remasters still sell quite well despite that. They are also mainly aimed at those who never got the chance to play the originals, though there will be some nostalgic or die-hard fans who will buy it a second time just to see the improvements.

I don't see the problem in using remasters to test demand. If people are willing to pay for an 8 year old product then that's a solid sign that the series still has some value, and the profit it generates can be put towards the next installment. That's a lot more than you can get from running polls on Twitter, or something.

Also, wasn't WipEout HD itself a remaster of sorts? It sounds like this rumoured game will be the same kind of thing.

Edited by Shadiochao

Hello Madbuk,

Liverpool was working on a new Wipeout for PS4 when they were closed. Sadly. Makes it hurt more.

Wipeout is a stellar franchise, and Liverpool were a stellar team... a much larger one that I'm sure most realize. Particularly when they only really released games in two IPs since 2001 [F1 and Wipeout], and one of those dropped off in 2007 and we were left with just Wipeout. And while it is a great IP, it does not sell. The fact it's seen as "hard" puts people off new ones, even if they are made more accessible.

It's not surprising that Sony closed down the studio, they are a business, not a charity.

If Sony wants to test the waters for more Wipeout, this is the easiest and safest method to do so. And if the port is handled by a competent team, there shouldn't be a problem. Companies have access to all sorts of data to make sound decisions based on a re-release. As long as they don't have stupid expectations, there isn't an issue. Companies do tons of market research. They should already know, and expect, that a re-release isn't going to do as much as a new game would, generally speaking. They factor that into it all, along with previous game's sale data, and so forth.

It's more than "oh wow, this remaster didn't sell 5 million copies, no one wants a new game I guess~" like you're implying. A remaster also can determine how much they invest in to a new game, if they've already decided on making a new one either way. Remasters and ports also serve as marketing tools for future new titles.