A Casual Attack on Your Backlog

Season 2:

• Oceanhorn - Finish Story (Season 2) - 6/10
  • Severed - just get some general progress done (already started this one)
  • Valley - Finish Story
  • Adventures of Mana - Finish Story
  • Sword Coast Legends - Play through the story once
  • Destroy All Humans - Finish Story

Decided to add 2 more games for now. Finished Oceanhorn today, but a trophy glitched so I'll have to get back to it at some point for the plat... not going to be any time soon though.

Oceanhorn

This was a fairly dull experience overall. It's fun at the start, but it gets boring quickly as enemies are mostly the same (there's like 5 different types or so). The game looks pretty, but there just isn't much variety. You travel to an island, try to find collectibles, solve a few puzzles, enter a dungeon with enemies and more puzzles, open chests to find keys or bonuses for your character and set sail for the next island to do it all over again. Even the combat is boring. You just swing a sword around and you get to use a few spells, bombs, and arrows

As mentioned in a previous post, the traveling has a dumb minigame to it, that you kind of have to do in order to avoid dying to the mines and creatures in the ocean. Oh and there's fishing in the game, which makes the game even less fun. Catching some of the fishes is purely down to luck, and it's an even worse experience than Dark Cloud was in that regard.

Wouldn't recommend this game, especially with glitched trophies and all.

On 4/3/2017 at 8:03 AM, NebbyLunala said:
  • Psychonauts: Platinum (I just have one miscellaneous trophy and two story trophies to deal with)
  • Ape Escape 2: All 200 monkeys
  • Buff Knight Advanced: Platinum
  • The Deadly Tower of Monsters: Platinum

Spend all night but finally managed to get sleep at 3 AM and get the remaining artifacts this afternoon, pushing my 45% up to a full platinum. :)

Probably will work on one of the other games tomorrow after church. Now that I spent my game money on Wizard101 I won't be able to buy Yooka-Laylee this month and I have rented LEGO City Undercover on GameFly already. (I have the one game plan.)

Edited by NebbyLunala

Season 2:

• Oceanhorn - Finish Story - Plat (Season 2) - 6/10
  • Valley - Finish Story - Plat (Season 2) - 6/10
  • Destroy All Humans - Finish Story

Valley

Wrapped up the game this morning and got the plat. This is a weird one, it's kind of a fun game, but on the other hand it's bland. Essentially you're running through forests and broken down factories, while searching for collectibles. There are the occasional enemies that will be a minor hindrance and a boss fight at the end of the game. The core mechanic which is give/take life from trees and animals as well as enemies feels utterly pointless. So is the "valley dies instead of you", until the whole valley is dead and then it's game over. You'd need to be trying really fucking hard to ever get to that point. So that's another gimmick that seems unnecessary.

Oh and Sword Coast Legends is great :lol:.

Oceanhorn's glitched trophy popped when I went back to farm the remaining XP for the Legend trophy, so that one is also fully completed now.

Edited by voodoo_eyes

On 1-4-2017 at 9:43 AM, gernboes said:

Not a problem, just give me a shout if/when you want to rejoin. And you're of course invited to continue to post feedback on games and the like, if you want!

Thanks. I thought about it and I do feel like commenting on backlog games of me as well as of others from time to time. I can't guarantee regular posts though and I seem to be having trouble with planning what to play in advance, so I'd be more comfortable with remaining on the "inactive" pile in the OP.

Since the start of S2, I've done the following:

L451df9.png

First KYC3 game I went back to. Finished one complete run of the main game, obtained most trophies during natural play - one trophy about getting a terminally ill character (which didn't happen for me because I took care of them when they got severely ill) and all of the trophies about kids (which you have to alter the parameters during a second play for) remain unobtained. I enjoyed the game enough to want to get the platinum eventually.

L986c13.png

Finally got the Jack The Ripper DLC and played through it right away. I enjoyed a new AC story even if not a full length one, the new fear mechanic was quite cool. The main story lacked a twist though and I have come to realise with this DLC the new trend of Ubisoft to have so much additional stuff be nothing more than collectables or the same side mission over and over, I now have been spoiled by Witcher III which has so much side stuff being full quests in their own right. Speaking of...

L4a541a.png

I played a bit more though I haven't obtained any additional trophies. Will likely get back to this after Black Flag, though I'm not sure yet. I want to play through this before starting the story of any other disc game, though.

L77b46d.png

Played a bit with a friend and I really enjoy it, my wife doesn't though so progress on this one will be very slow.

L2d0ca8.png

I got through the multiplayer on the last day of S1, and I've been doing the remaining single player stuff since the end of last week. There was a lot of single player stuff to go as I only played through the main stuff when I got it the first time on PS4 (had already played it on X360 and just wanted a quick bit of pirate-y fun at that point). I've been enjoying it a lot, and since yesterday evening I only have to do the 100% synching of main missions, over half of which I did last night.

I also obtained an additional trophy in Road Not Taken (played through it some more to see if it really has become easier) and in TYPE:RIDER (found the missing ampersands and read all of the books, the last of which I did already but the trophy hadn't unlocked yet), though neither has been 100%ed while I had already played through the story so they won't go on my list.

Spoiler

Eliminated from backlog* during S1:

• Bound (PS4)
  • Color Guardians (PS4)
  • Kitten Squad (PS4) (100%)
  • LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens DLC (PS4) (100%)
  • The Playroom (PS4) (100% main game plus 2 DLC)
  • Stories: The Path Of Destinies (PS4)
  • Ultratron (PS4) (100%)
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4) (multiplayer)

Eliminated from backlog* during S2:

• This War Of Mine: The Little Ones (PS4)
  • Assassin's Creed: Syndicate (PS4) (100%, hadn't done DLC yet)

*(only games that were not played through (or 100%ed/platinumed) right after buying them)

On 1-4-2017 at 1:01 PM, dadoudelidou said:

I got the Platinum for Unravel ! I love this game sooooo much. It's actually the second time this year a get the Plat for it. If you haven't played yet and you like platformers, puzzles and overall nice gaming experience, this game is for you.

I loved this game, played it last year. Might go for the platinum at some point.

As well, I started to play AC Brotherhood (8%) That game made me a gamer back then. I loved every part of it , and now... I still feel the same! I recall I had some problems in S1 with AC II, complaining about the controls. But with ACB, they got improved .. or I got better with the clunky controls  1f606.png

Nah I played the Ezio Collection back to back and the controls definitely got improved upon, a lot.

On 8-4-2017 at 3:00 PM, voodoo_eyes said:

Oceanhorn

This was a fairly dull experience overall. It's fun at the start, but it gets boring quickly as enemies are mostly the same (there's like 5 different types or so). The game looks pretty, but there just isn't much variety. You travel to an island, try to find collectibles, solve a few puzzles, enter a dungeon with enemies and more puzzles, open chests to find keys or bonuses for your character and set sail for the next island to do it all over again. Even the combat is boring. You just swing a sword around and you get to use a few spells, bombs, and arrows

As mentioned in a previous post, the traveling has a dumb minigame to it, that you kind of have to do in order to avoid dying to the mines and creatures in the ocean. Oh and there's fishing in the game, which makes the game even less fun. Catching some of the fishes is purely down to luck, and it's an even worse experience than Dark Cloud was in that regard.

That's too bad, I knew it was a Zelda clone but I still wanted it to be good.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Oceanhorn isn't getting a lot of love in this thread. I've platinumed it a few months ago and thought it was very enjoyable. It's by no means as good as Wind Waker, of course, but that's one of the best Zelda games out there (and my personal favorite). I thought it was pretty fun. Sure, the developers didn't seem to understand some of the Zelda mechanics and implemented them wrong (simple stuff like making players feel rewarded for certain actions, etc.), but overall I had a great time.

6 hours ago, Such-A-Goonie said:

Oceanhorn isn't getting a lot of love in this thread. I've platinumed it a few months ago and thought it was very enjoyable. It's by no means as good as Wind Waker, of course, but that's one of the best Zelda games out there (and my personal favorite). I thought it was pretty fun. Sure, the developers didn't seem to understand some of the Zelda mechanics and implemented them wrong (simple stuff like making players feel rewarded for certain actions, etc.), but overall I had a great time.

I'm glad someone thinks the same thing as me. ^_^

• Like 1

I guess I will do a bi-weekly update. Nothing much to tell for now, though.

Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart (PS Vita)

La5f2f5.png

I finished the story last weekend and after that I had spend about 22 additional hours to maximize the Lily Ranks between each and everyone. Considering the fact that it took me about 29 hours to casually play through the story (with redoing quite a lot of missions) those 22 hours were quite annoying and boring at the same time, as casting thousands of buff-skills to increase the rankings wasn't fun at all.

Now all that's left to do is to bring everyone to level 99 (which requires about 40 additional Phoenix Plucking-runs with about 3 to 5 minutes each) and after that I will be done with the grind.

Update for this season:

Completed resident evil 7, such an awesome game and glad I finally managed to start and complete it. 

Have made aome some progress with the last of us for my plat run. So far just meeting David. Its my least favourite part of the game (well playing on grounded mode) the diner section just puts me in sheer panic! :o 

Hoping to get the plat by next week ^_^ 

Minor update from me as well.

Sword Coast Legends is still a blast to play, It has one major problem though... the loading times are insane, and I have a feeling that they'll get worse the further I progress. It's also noticeable that the PS4 hasn't got the processing power to run this game smoothly. Shame, as it's already one of my favourite games I've played so far on the console.

Progress so far: Finished Prologue (before the event) and am now wrapping up most side quests in ACT I and the party members are currently level 5.

Destroy All Humans is also still enjoyable, despite it's collectible gathering. It's a very simplistic TPS, that manages to be fun regardless. Some issues have started creeping up though. The game crashes 4 times in 5 minutes and the collectibles disappeared from one moment to the next. Had to restart the mission for those to show up again.

Progress so far: Got 100% in the first 2 mission areas and am close to finishing up the 3rd area as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Sword Coast Legends is still a blast to play, It has one major problem though... the loading times are insane, and I have a feeling that they'll get worse the further I progress. It's also noticeable that the PS4 hasn't got the processing power to run this game smoothly. Shame, as it's already one of my favourite games I've played so far on the console.

Ok, new rule: Talking about how good a game is, is now forbidden. Effective immediately! You just made me increase my backlog! Nah, who am i kidding, my backlog is growing no matter what :D Keep up the good work :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gernboes said:

Ok, new rule: Talking about how good a game is, is now forbidden. Effective immediately! You just made me increase my backlog! Nah, who am i kidding, my backlog is growing no matter what :D Keep up the good work :)

Oh, but I'm biased towards this one. My favourite game is Baldur's Gate and by extension Icewind Dale. Sword Coast Legends is very similar to those, which is why I'm enjoying it so much. I just wished, it would run smoother.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Oh, but I'm biased towards this one. My favourite game is Baldur's Gate and by extension Icewind Dale. Sword Coast Legends is very similar to those, which is why I'm enjoying it so much. I just wished, it would run smoother.

I also played the hell out of those games back in my pc days, thats why i already considered getting sword coast. Now your praise in addition to it being on sale, and i couldnt resist any longer :)

I have now completed TLOU for the 3rd time on grounded mode. 

Only have a few more trophies left now for the plat on the PS3 version. 

I honestly just love this game. Grounded mode seems to get easier with every playthrough.

I thought I might have had a bit of difficulty with David as I hate doing that scene in the diner but it wasn't too bad,only took a few attempts. 

Not it sure what I will play next. Maybe finish FF15 as I think I'm almost at the end. 

I obtained the platinum in Black Flag, won't go into it much here since @Crimson Idol has already gotten bored by all the stuff I've said about it in other threads ;)

After that, I started on a bunch of games that don't count as backlog since I bought them so recently. On Uncharted 3 now, gave it a little break for Full Throttle and after going through both I'll probably get back to The Witcher III, don't think I'll get to much other backlog stuff since Mario Kart 8 Deluxe releases next week and I've got Blaster Master Zero as well as Specter Of Torment to go through on the Switch. Guess you'll hear from me whenever I finish The Witcher III, unless I play through something else from my backlog before then.

Spoiler

Eliminated from backlog* during S1:

• Bound (PS4)
  • Color Guardians (PS4)
  • Kitten Squad (PS4) (100%)
  • LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens DLC (PS4) (100%)
  • The Playroom (PS4) (100% main game plus 2 DLC)
  • Stories: The Path Of Destinies (PS4)
  • Ultratron (PS4) (100%)
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4) (multiplayer)

Eliminated from backlog* during S2:

• This War Of Mine: The Little Ones (PS4)
  • Assassin's Creed: Syndicate (PS4) (100%, hadn't done DLC yet)
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4) (100% main game)

*(only games that were not played through (or 100%ed/platinumed) right after buying them)

I've started three of my playthroughs so far:

Demon Gaze (Vita)

Grinded out nameless gems to get my party to five characters and captured Mars. I'm pretty happy with the party: Gazer, Paladin, Fighter, Healer and Wizard. Everyone except the Paladin is on the back row and I'm pretty much plowing through the game right now. Granted, you're probably not supposed to have five characters at this point, but it's nice to feel OP as hell.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 (Vita)

I'm not that far in yet. So far I have Compa and IF/Iffy/ai-chan in my party and I've just unlocked Lastation. I've picked up ALL the Neptunia game in the Easter sale, so I guess I have some extra incentive to finish this game. Loving it so far.

Dying Light (PS4)

Started a new playthrough on nightmare so that I can go for the collectible trophy and the other ones that I can solo. I'll probably upload my save once I have five missions to turn in, so that I can take care of the co-op trophies later. I've always played this game solo, the harder difficulties are a blast to play!

I know I should have put this in my counterrant for Oceanhorn, which I am working on now but...

I didn't encounter any glitchy trophies since all the trophies are tied to in-game challenges. I admit that the ones for killing 50 Skeletons or 100 Direfolk(goblins) are really annoying and the one for catching all the fish in the game is REALLY rage-enducing as the Ghost Fish and Bot Fish are complete ****s to catch. ? But I haven't experienced any glitchy trophies.

Also, Such-A-Goonie, you have a real Geeky avatar. Having just platinumed the game that Purple Tentacle is in, I love it. ^_^

7 hours ago, NebbyLunala said:

Also, Such-A-Goonie, you have a real Geeky avatar. Having just platinumed the game that Purple Tentacle is in, I love it. ^_^

Haha, thanks! Day of the Tentacle is one of my favorite games ever. I've played it so much back in the day. That picture from the intro cinematic with Purple wanting to take over the world has been my desktop wallpaper on computers and phones for ages, so I was pretty happy when the remake had a trophy made with it. Seemed fitting to use as an avatar on this website. :-D

On 20/04/2017 at 0:33 AM, NebbyLunala said:

I know I should have put this in my counterrant for Oceanhorn, which I am working on now but...

I didn't encounter any glitchy trophies since all the trophies are tied to in-game challenges. I admit that the ones for killing 50 Skeletons or 100 Direfolk(goblins) are really annoying and the one for catching all the fish in the game is REALLY rage-enducing as the Ghost Fish and Bot Fish are complete ****s to catch. 1f621.png But I haven't experienced any glitchy trophies.

The rubies trophy glitched (it's also referenced in the guide on pstrophies.org)on me, Had 100% on every island and the trophy wouldn't pop. I got lucky and it unlocked when I quit and restarted the game, otherwise I'd had to do a new playthrough. DIdn't find Bot FIsh too bad, but Ghost Fish was incredibly annoying.

Update time...

Season 2:

• Oceanhorn - Finish Story - Plat (Season 2) - 6/10
  • Valley - Finish Story - Plat (Season 2) - 6/10
  • Destroy All Humans - Finish Story - Plat (Season 2) - 7/10

So I got the Plat for Destroy All Humans. The game is incredibly simplistic, yet fun. You are an alien, get  missions to kill, abduct, impersonate humans. There are also side missions, which are short jetpack races or involve killing/demolishing stuff. There are also collectibles to gather, which give you DNA, like sucking out a humans brain does as well. DNA is needed to upgrade weapons for your character and space ship.

This is where it gets problematic and almost kills the fun in the game. You're likely to get enough DNA to upgrade everything, by the time you finish all the missions. The game still wants you to farm an extra 28k of the stuff for a trophy though. I always dislike collectibles that have no relevant use in game, and this becomes one of those. Furthermore the game crashed very often and there were also a few bugs. 

Other than that I've been addicted to Sword Coast Legends. Hours go by without me realizing it. It's the same that used to happen whenever I played Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.There's just a lot of stuff to do, which is great. In the meantime I got 2 new party members, finished the first act and am knee deep in sidequests. Having a great time with it, but trophy progress is incredibly slow and the plat requires at least 6 playthroughs, so yeah... we'll see about that one :P.

I need to start switching things up though. So I might pick up the vita to play Severed or Adventures of Mana until it needs to get recharged and then return to SCL while it's doing so.

EDIT: I almost forgot, I actually started Adventures of Mana. I played about 30 minutes until I got annoyed by the world layout and navigation.

Edited by voodoo_eyes

I'm glad someone else finds the Ghost Fish a piece of manure to catch. :)

I got Cosmopolitan as soon as I visited all the islands once but then again, my version of the game may be different from yours. I've had LEGO Harry Potter Legacy Collection crash twice on me as a digital download but when I owned the physical copy, nothing bad happened. Congrats on your trophies so far, by the way.