Bulletstorm PS3 custom server discussion

Bizzy_Montana_

On 3/14/2020 at 5:32 AM, NeM2k2 said:

Not at all. You can either play with two PS3s connected to the same server, or two PS3s each connected to their own server. Regardless of which option you choose, you can invite the other player to a private lobby.

when you say 2 ps3s connected to their own server,  does it have to be the same household. or could i set up a boost session and while im in america i can boost with someone in europe? im having a hard time setting the server up but in order to boost both players would have to know how to do it right? one cant do it then invite the other?

Hi. I did the online trophies recently and unless you have 2 PS3s in your home you both need to be running Gonespy and the other software for you to be able to connect and play together.  

Without the software, the multiplayer option does not work at all and will not open the MP menu. You could use 2 PS3s on the same network in your home, or have 2 players each using Gonespy to connect from separate locations.  It can still be hit or miss whether it allows you to join the other player, but resetting the PS3 and/or the software was successful eventually.

Getting it to run can be straightforward, but when I updated Java on my PC I could no longer get it to work no matter what I did. Reverting to the previous version solved the problem. 

Good luck setting it up. The first time can be tricky, but once you have it working it's easy to do. Our game crashed several times (went to a black screen), so be prepared for some frustrations along the way.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The_Slugkiller said:

Hi. I did the online trophies recently and unless you have 2 PS3s in your home you both need to be running Gonespy and the other software for you to be able to connect and play together.  

Without the software, the multiplayer option does not work at all and will not open the MP menu. You could use 2 PS3s on the same network in your home, or have 2 players each using Gonespy to connect from separate locations.  It can still be hit or miss whether it allows you to join the other player, but resetting the PS3 and/or the software was successful eventually.

Getting it to run can be straightforward, but when I updated Java on my PC I could no longer get it to work no matter what I did. Reverting to the previous version solved the problem. 

Good luck setting it up. The first time can be tricky, but once you have it working it's easy to do. Our game crashed several times (went to a black screen), so be prepared for some frustrations along the way.

thanks for the reply. if you have 2 ps3s at home, would it be possible to hit the 50k solo by any chance while having the alt ps3 idle? me and a friend did it together on ps4 and just barely hit 40k so im not sure if ps3 is just as hard?

when i run this command prompt  .\maradns.exe -f mararc.txt i get "fatal error binding to port 53 system said no error"

Edited by melodicmizery

1 hour ago, eternit_pl said:

Open deadwood in CMD as admin

i seem to have gonespy running, my ps3 internet connection setup, and i also seem to have deadwood running.
but i get that port error in mara and cant seem to fix it. ive ran as admin, and also opened udp and tcp port 53 on my computer.

if deadwood is running, do you also need mara running? 

ive read other people having port 53 problems but it seems to be on other projects

The 50k score needs 2 active players to reach, so it would be impossible to do it solo. There are 72 enemies on the final wave, and you need to team skill kill most of them in order to reach the target score. The team challenges are worth 500 points each per player, and the bosses can give you 450-600 points each if done together.

You should have 3 CMD windows open and running: Gonespy, Maradns and Deadwood.  Make sure you have replaced the address 192.168.2.37 with your IP address as requested. Alao check to see to if you are using updated versions of the software as they may not work. JRE u251 worked ok for me, but u261 stopped it working for some reason.

29 minutes ago, The_Slugkiller said:

The 50k score needs 2 active players to reach, so it would be impossible to do it solo. There are 72 enemies on the final wave, and you need to team skill kill most of them in order to reach the target score. The team challenges are worth 500 points each per player, and the bosses can give you 450-600 points each if done together.

You should have 3 CMD windows open and running: Gonespy, Maradns and Deadwood.  Make sure you have replaced the address 192.168.2.37 with your IP address as requested. Alao check to see to if you are using updated versions of the software as they may not work. JRE u251 worked ok for me, but u261 stopped it working for some reason.

thanks again for the help. i found one of my errors in the notepad i changed the 127 0 0 1 ip in the bind address when i shouldnt have and now mara got rid of the port error

i seem to have all 3 cmd's now running on my pc and they all match up to the screenshots as what they should say, but when i start bulletstorm it still doesnt connect.
java i have 281, i had to install it and thats what it gave me since im on windows 10 but i dont see any java errors.

do i have to start the cmds in a certain order?

not sure what else i could be doing wrong. even if i cant get the team trophy id like to finish all the other trophies up if possible

Edited by melodicmizery

No, I don't think they need to be done in a certain order; as long as they are all running it should work.  You will know it's working when you click on the Multiplayer section of the game and it loads multiplayer. It should then be working and you can connect with other players or play solo.

I would try JREu251 as 261 just would not work for whatever reason despite me trying everything. Perhaps 281 is the same. u251 should still be available online. Make sure it does not update itself when installed.

35 minutes ago, The_Slugkiller said:

No, I don't think they need to be done in a certain order; as long as they are all running it should work.  You will know it's working when you click on the Multiplayer section of the game and it loads multiplayer. It should then be working and you can connect with other players or play solo.

I would try JREu251 as 261 just would not work for whatever reason despite me trying everything. Perhaps 281 is the same. u251 should still be available online. Make sure it does not update itself when installed.

i downgraded the java and the game still wont connect. im completely stumped lol. 

I am not knowledgeable enough to help you unfortunately. I followed the instructions and it worked. Check your PS3 settings including changing the Primary DNS IP address to that of your PC. I assume you know how to do this as it is needed for the other software.

Check the windows firewall settings and that they are for incoming traffic. Make sure you are using maradns v2.0.15 and not a later version. If it still does not work, then post your error messages here and hopefully someone can help you out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Slugkiller said:

I am not knowledgeable enough to help you unfortunately. I followed the instructions and it worked. Check your PS3 settings including changing the Primary DNS IP address to that of your PC. I assume you know how to do this as it is needed for the other software.

Check the windows firewall settings and that they are for incoming traffic. Make sure you are using maradns v2.0.15 and not a later version. If it still does not work, then post your error messages here and hopefully someone can help you out.

i give up at this point i spent about 8 hours on this already today. another guy helped me for 2 hours, we went through a step by step process checking everything and for some reason the game still wouldnt connect. he checked his and it connected for him so its def some problem on my end. i tried a alt ps3 system and that didnt work. windows 10 wasnt working and i got a window 7 laptop out and tried it on there and that didnt work either. the only last option i can think of is wiring my internet to my pc and to my ps3 instead of going wireless. but unfortunately my wires are packed away lol. every single command box was perfectly running but the game just didnt want to communicate with it for some reason. oh well. if i can ill dig the ethernet cables out and give it one last try that way tomorrow.

Damn that must be so frustrating for you. I use windows 10 64-bit and it works ok, so you can rule that out.

If there are no errors and everything is running then I would look at the firewall settings, but I'm sure you've already checked them. I hope you can get it working tomorrow.

13 hours ago, The_Slugkiller said:

Damn that must be so frustrating for you. I use windows 10 64-bit and it works ok, so you can rule that out.

If there are no errors and everything is running then I would look at the firewall settings, but I'm sure you've already checked them. I hope you can get it working tomorrow.

omg dude i am soooooo stupid. after getting some rest and carefully re reading everything. i found out i was using my EXTERNAL ip address for everything, instead of my computer INTERNAL ip address. thats why it wasnt communicating!!!! i just now got it to log on. i also had to use the spare laptop though because something is blocking my ports now on the main one must be some program. but it just now connected. all these years when i read lan ip address i didnt know there was a internal one. i always figured there was just one ip address

thanks for the patience. now i can buy the dlc and knock some of these out 

• Like 1

That's good to hear, at least you found out why it didn't work. Could it be Skype on your PC as the notes list the following:

"Skype uses port 80 so try completely shutting that program down if it is running.

Also note Windows itself will use ports 80 & 443 if IIS features are enabled. To disable these features, go to Programs and Features. Click on Turn Windows features on or off. Uncheck Internet Information Services and also Internet Information Services Hostable Web Core if it is checked. Click OK to remove those applications."

Maybe it is some other program running in the background, I dunno.  I would also check the power settings on the PC or laptop as it may power down if you are away from the keyboard for a length of time.  The last thing you need is for it to turn off as you are completing wave 20 ?

1 hour ago, The_Slugkiller said:

That's good to hear, at least you found out why it didn't work. Could it be Skype on your PC as the notes list the following:

"Skype uses port 80 so try completely shutting that program down if it is running.

Also note Windows itself will use ports 80 & 443 if IIS features are enabled. To disable these features, go to Programs and Features. Click on Turn Windows features on or off. Uncheck Internet Information Services and also Internet Information Services Hostable Web Core if it is checked. Click OK to remove those applications."

Maybe it is some other program running in the background, I dunno.  I would also check the power settings on the PC or laptop as it may power down if you are away from the keyboard for a length of time.  The last thing you need is for it to turn off as you are completing wave 20 1f600.png

shut down on wave 20 would be a nightmare lol. i checked all those things yesterday and they were ok. and no skype. i have so much stuff installed on here though it could be anything. i feel better using the spare laptop anyways since nothing of value is on it. so far i just mashed through half the dlc with only a few game freezes.

9 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

omg dude i am soooooo stupid. after getting some rest and carefully re reading everything. i found out i was using my EXTERNAL ip address for everything, instead of my computer INTERNAL ip address. thats why it wasnt communicating!!!! i just now got it to log on. i also had to use the spare laptop though because something is blocking my ports now on the main one must be some program. but it just now connected. all these years when i read lan ip address i didnt know there was a internal one. i always figured there was just one ip address

thanks for the patience. now i can buy the dlc and knock some of these out 

I've got Deadwood, Maradns, and the java Gonespy all running successfully on my PC, but now I can't get the Bulletstormplayer message on the screen when I'm on the menu on PS3. Should my Default Router and Primary DNS on PS3 have the same numbers ? I have Secondary DNS set to 0.0.0.0

4 hours ago, x7251 said:

I've got Deadwood, Maradns, and the java Gonespy all running successfully on my PC, but now I can't get the Bulletstormplayer message on the screen when I'm on the menu on PS3. Should my Default Router and Primary DNS on PS3 have the same numbers ? I have Secondary DNS set to 0.0.0.0

your secondary dns should be all zero.

to find your primary dns,
open up cmd and type in ipconfig and look at the ipv4 address and that is the ip you should be using.
on windows 10 it might show like 3 diff ones its prob the first ip4.
on windows 7 it only showed me one ipv4 so that was easier.

alternatively you can find your ipv4 by doing this,

all settings, (bottom right corner of your computer that quote bubble thing to the right of the clock)
network and internet,
click wifi tab on the left hand side,
on the right hand side click on your wifi signal,
scroll down to the bottom of the page and itll say properties and a few things down from that will also show your ipv4 address.

your dns that you enter in ps3 is the ipv4 address, this is also the number you replace in the txts that start with 192.
my ipv4 started with 192 im guessing yours will be similar.

the ip is NOT the ip address you get when you go on google and type whats my ip. thats the external the ipv4 is the internal and thats whats needed

that was my issue anyways

i also messaged you about opening the ports. sorry for the late reply was mashing these trophies all morning

if multiplayer is working it should just open multiplayer as soon as you click it. for me when its not working i click it and nothing happens the screen just does a flicker with each button press.

Edited by melodicmizery

7 minutes ago, melodicmizery said:

your secondary dns should be all zero.

to find your primary dns,
open up cmd and type in ipconfig and look at the ipv4 address and that is the ip you should be using.
on windows 10 it might show like 3 diff ones its prob the first ip4.
on windows 7 it only showed me one ipv4 so that was easier.

alternatively you can find your ipv4 by doing this,

all settings, (bottom right corner of your computer that quote bubble thing to the right of the clock)
network and internet,
click wifi tab on the left hand side,
on the right hand side click on your wifi signal,
scroll down to the bottom of the page and itll say properties and a few things down from that will also show your ipv4 address.

your dns that you enter in ps3 is the ipv4 address, this is also the number you replace in the txts that start with 192.
my ipv4 started with 192 im guessing yours will be similar.

the ip is NOT the ip address you get when you go on google and type whats my ip. thats the external the ipv4 is the internal and thats whats needed

that was my issue anyways

i also messaged you about opening the ports. sorry for the late reply was mashing these trophies all morning

if multiplayer is working it should just open multiplayer as soon as you click it. for me when its not working i click it and nothing happens the screen just does a flicker with each button press.

I put my values of IPv4 address that I found when typing ipconfig in cmd in the gamespydns and dwood3rc text . I left marac text alone. Do you need to edit the marac text as well ?

9 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

you can leave that one alone it should say 127.0.0.1

I finally got it to work after 2 days of trying. Now hopefully I can get this previously unobtainable platinum trophy completed after all of these years.

13 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

if this game hadn’t literally been stolen from my plus library, I’d take the chance to get this trophy. a great game

i think ebay has the disc cheap. i had it on ps plus originally on my uk account years ago when i did the free trial. didnt know the game save data was region locked so i had to start all over again when i got the disc. but its worth it. 

On 15.04.2021 at 10:20 AM, melodicmizery said:

i seem to have gonespy running, my ps3 internet connection setup, and i also seem to have deadwood running.
but i get that port error in mara and cant seem to fix it. ive ran as admin, and also opened udp and tcp port 53 on my computer.

if deadwood is running, do you also need mara running? 

ive read other people having port 53 problems but it seems to be on other projects

Just disable firewall in WIndows. It helped me.

• 2 weeks later...

I can’t for the life of me figure out why I can’t run maradns/deadwood. I edited each entry with my actual IP address and downloaded and edited each file outlined in the guide and I still cannot use the command prompt to run the programs. 

When I go to enter cd d in the command prompt to change directory, it’s telling me “the system cannot find the drive specified”. Why wouldn’t my computer be able to find the extracted zip file in my downloads? I really don’t know what I’m doing wrong. 

Edited by HoorayForTyler

9 minutes ago, HoorayForTyler said:

I can’t for the life of me figure out why I can’t run maradns/deadwood. I edited each entry with my actual IP address and downloaded and edited each file outlined in the guide and I still cannot use the command prompt to run the programs. 

When I go to enter cd d in the command prompt to change directory, it’s telling me “the system cannot find the drive specified”. Why wouldn’t my computer be able to find the extracted zip file in my downloads? I really don’t know what I’m doing wrong. 

Are you typing    

.\mkSecretTxt.exe
.\maradns.exe -f mararc.txt

In the maradns command prompt ?

For Deadwood you have to type in as an administrator 

.\install.bat    

For the java folder you have to type in cmd -  

java -jar bstormps3-0.1.jar