Bulletstorm PS3 custom server discussion

Bizzy_Montana_

46 minutes ago, HoorayForTyler said:

I can’t for the life of me figure out why I can’t run maradns/deadwood. I edited each entry with my actual IP address and downloaded and edited each file outlined in the guide and I still cannot use the command prompt to run the programs. 

When I go to enter cd d in the command prompt to change directory, it’s telling me “the system cannot find the drive specified”. Why wouldn’t my computer be able to find the extracted zip file in my downloads? I really don’t know what I’m doing wrong. 

first thing, are you sure your using your computers internal ip address, not the external ip address. theres a big difference and this will be the reason why the game wont connect to your computer

for the command prompt make sure you run it as administrator. for the command line, i would open the folder up and click the top of the folder and copy the folder address and then paste it after typing cd, this way i knew the path was no mispellings. 

so for example i just made a new folder on my desktop right now and lets pretend thats where mara or deadwood is, the change directory command would look something like
cd C:\Users\username\Desktop\New folder

youll need 3 cmd windows opened. 1. for mara 2. for deadwood 3. gonespy

Edited by melodicmizery

29 minutes ago, melodicmizery said:

first thing, are you sure your using your computers internal ip address, not the external ip address. theres a big difference and this will be the reason why the game wont connect to your computer

for the command prompt make sure you run it as administrator. for the command line, i would open the folder up and click the top of the folder and copy the folder address and then paste it after typing cd, this way i knew the path was no mispellings. 

so for example i just made a new folder on my desktop right now and lets pretend thats where mara or deadwood is, the change directory command would look something like
cd C:\Users\username\Desktop\New folder

youll need 3 cmd windows opened. 1. for mara 2. for deadwood 3. gonespy

Yes, I’m sure I’m using the correct IP address. And for the command prompt, the problem I’m running into is not being able to paste any folders after “cd” whatsoever. I’m looking at the maradns folder right now and it’s not pasting. It says “the system cannot find the drive specified”. Same goes for the Deadwood folder. Do I need to have the Bulletstorm/Gonespy zip downloaded before I run maradns/deadwood?

19 minutes ago, HoorayForTyler said:

Yes, I’m sure I’m using the correct IP address. And for the command prompt, the problem I’m running into is not being able to paste any folders after “cd” whatsoever. I’m looking at the maradns folder right now and it’s not pasting. It says “the system cannot find the drive specified”. Same goes for the Deadwood folder. Do I need to have the Bulletstorm/Gonespy zip downloaded before I run maradns/deadwood?

You need all of them downloaded. Once their all downloaded, you have to right click on the dwood3rc.txt, gamespydns.txt, mararc.txt on the github pages, and save them into your folders.

17 hours ago, x7251 said:

You need all of them downloaded. Once their all downloaded, you have to right click on the dwood3rc.txt, gamespydns.txt, mararc.txt on the github pages, and save them into your folders.

Okay thanks to you and @melodicmizery for the info, I will do some troubleshooting and see if anything changes. 

Edit: My problem seems to be originating from using bootcamp on Mac to use Windows, the command prompts don’t seem to work properly since I’m not on an actual PC. I should’ve known that would be a problem, but this just confirms it. I can’t even view downloads or desktop files when using Command Prompt. Guess I need to find me an actual PC lol. 

Edited by HoorayForTyler
New info.
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 11:04 PM, HoorayForTyler said:

Okay thanks to you and @melodicmizery for the info, I will do some troubleshooting and see if anything changes. 

Edit: My problem seems to be originating from using bootcamp on Mac to use Windows, the command prompts don’t seem to work properly since I’m not on an actual PC. I should’ve known that would be a problem, but this just confirms it. I can’t even view downloads or desktop files when using Command Prompt. Guess I need to find me an actual PC lol. 

yah thatd do it. on windows 7 cmd you can right click and paste, on windows 10 you have to hit control V to paste.

what i did was get a really old windows 7 laptop out of my drawer that was fully formatted. you can prob go on fb marketplace or craigslist and look for any old laptop for extremely cheap or maybe even free and just buy that and use it. i had both my laptops running at once. one to use regular and the other formatted one i just ran the cmds on. i dont think the specs of the laptop even need to be good

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 0:42 AM, melodicmizery said:

yah thatd do it. on windows 7 cmd you can right click and paste, on windows 10 you have to hit control V to paste.

what i did was get a really old windows 7 laptop out of my drawer that was fully formatted. you can prob go on fb marketplace or craigslist and look for any old laptop for extremely cheap or maybe even free and just buy that and use it. i had both my laptops running at once. one to use regular and the other formatted one i just ran the cmds on. i dont think the specs of the laptop even need to be good

Yep, already trying to dig out my old Dell laptop from the attic ? thanks again for your help!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

For anyone attempting this now, download Java 8. I was using the latest version (20) and the `java -jar bstormps3-0.1.jar` command wasn't working properly - the server wasn't starting, logging `javax/xml/bind/annotation/XmlElement` to the console. Uninstalling v20 and installing v8 fixed it

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 8/2/2023 at 6:24 PM, DividedByMankind said:

If i was to do this , this way. Will i be flagged on psnp for this? And is it possible to get all online related trophies?

Thanx

You won't get flagged. It's been approved by the Mods on PSNP along with Unreal Tournament 3. I got all of the online trophies using Gonespy in 2021, but I see a few people earning the online trophies in 2023 so it should still work. AFAIK, the DLC has been delisted for Bulletstorm in Europe, but it's still available in the US PS Store if you plan on going for the 100%. A few of the DLC trophies are online only.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 11/20/2023 at 11:45 PM, Bilal said:

are us dlc compatible with every version?

Not sure, but the 2 DLC's are both available each for $9.99 in the US store. If the DLC's end up not being compatible with your version of Bulletstorm, you could get the game digitally for $9.99 in the US store as a last resort. 

• 3 months later...

My apologies for this comment on such an old post that doesn't have any current traffic.

If you earn the trophies using the custom server - does it count as cheating and risk banning your account from PSNprofiles? If I were to use the custom server to earn the trophies, do I have to record footage and proof that I earned the trophies through the game through natural progression whilst using the server to avoid being banned?

If the bulletstorm platinum is actually considered unobtainable still by psnprofiles I don't see anything marking it as such when I check the game's trophy list on the website it also does have players listed with recent earners from 2018 - 2024 however I don't know if it's actually safe or if the ban process has missed this way of obtaining them so far. I am unsure on if I should pursue the platinum or not due to how difficult it is to identify if it's genuinely safe.

It's been over a decade since I first bought the bulletstorm disc for the PS3 and I only recently got told that the servers died. However upon googling bulletstorms details I discovered that this custom server exists and appears to work.

I just want to know that it's a safe way to earn the trophies without my account being banned from this site.

Thankyou.

26 minutes ago, dadslettingme said:

If you earn the trophies using the custom server - does it count as cheating and risk banning your account from PSNprofiles?

No, this an approved custom server for the leaderboard per the leaderboard rules. 

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/18277-psnprofiles-leaderboard-rules-disputes#7-custom-servers

Edited by DaivRules
Thought this was asking about Motorstorm, oops!

On 3/8/2024 at 2:19 PM, dadslettingme said:

If I were to use the custom server to earn the trophies, do I have to record footage and proof that I earned the trophies through the game through natural progression whilst using the server to avoid being banned?

A shame anyone has to feel they have to remotely consider this in order to play a game to completion, especially on the PS3 (which is tricky to get around its anti recording protection).

On 3/8/2024 at 2:19 PM, dadslettingme said:

If the bulletstorm platinum is actually considered unobtainable still by psnprofiles I don't see anything marking it as such when I check the game's trophy list on the website

The game is on the PSNP+ unobtainable trophies master list to keep in line with a guiding principle (not to mischaracterize it, but essentially, with no reliance on extra processes beyond setting up your console and installing the game). However, a recent update (which I highly respect its addition) allows users to annotate game pages with details, either of the cause of discontinuation, or extenuating circumstances that re-enable the trophies. For example, GoneSpy for Bulletstorm, patch reversion for many other games (especially on PS4).

• Like 1