Game Franchise you can't get into

Pershing24

I figure it would be better to post this on the PS3 forum since the game library is larger.

Anyways, today I wanted to know what game franchise or series you just can't get into even if everyone seems to love it. Whether its the game play, the story or just personal experiences, whatever the reason you can't get through it or beat it.

It doesn't matter what platform it is, as long as it has two or more title in the franchises, so games like Vanquish or Shadow or Mordor don't count since their never had a sequel/prequel. Also mention why you don't like this series or you don't understand why everyone else likes it.

Here are some of my choices.

1.Final Fantasy

Everyone seems to love this JRPG series, even though they're never direct sequels, but I really hate this genera because of its style and goofiness. Its probably because I hate all JRPG over all because I didn't grow up with then.

2.Resident Evil

Another franchise that everyone love, yet I can't seems to get into it. Is it because it like metal gear where its technically a serious franchise yet it has some cringe worthy moments, or maybe its just the whole zombie thing, it to cliche and overdone. Plus I never play the first 3 in my childhood.

3.Metal Gear

I've played MGS3, but I just could get through it. I think its because it seems to be a serious series, yet it has some of the goofies momments I've ever seem. Plus its a stealth base game, a genera that I just not very good at.

4.Hitman

To date I've played Hitman 2, 3 and absolution. But no matter how hard I've tried, I could never get to the end of the game. It must be the same reason I hate Metal gear, it's stealth base, but alot more difficult. Plus agent 47 is pretty boring.

5.Resistance

Its not like me to skip out on a Playstation exclusive PS3 shooter. Yet the only one I've ever played was Resistance retribution on the PSP, and it was meh. I think the reason I don't like it is like Resistance Evil, its just too cliche and its just another generic shooter.

6.Dragon Age

Its funny, I love Mass effect, but every time I try to play Dragon age inquisition, I'm just completely lose due to the game's lore. And quite honestly I can't stand Dragon age origin because of its awful graphics and combat system, plus why would you control each of your party members individually, it makes no sense for this RPG since their all classes that you're unfamiliar with.

7.Fallout

Another RPG that everyone praises, especially the third one, however everytime I try to play it, the ugly brown/gray world just makes me sick, plus the interface system (yes the Pitboy) is so ineffective. I'll stay with Skyrim thank you very much.

8.FEAR

Like resistance, its too cliche, to predicable, and is just too outdated. Then again, the only one I've play was FEAR 1 on the PC.

• Like 1

Elder Scrolls and The Witcher. I simply cannot get invested and generally don't like the gameplay. Even though I know they have nothing to do with the franchise, they just feel like "Soulless" (and challenge-less) Dark Souls games, with almost every aspect being inferior to the Souls franchise to me. (Emphasis on the to me. It's an opinion and you're free to disagree.)

Also Call of Duty and Battlefield have never been able to appease me. It's probably just the genre of straight FPS (as in, no secondary genre such as survival-horror) that's not for me. 

EDIT: Add to those: the Saints Row franchise. Thanks  Quaedam_Animae for reminding me! 

The gameplay is completely unrefined, the open world bland, the humour unfunny and the voices annoying (even if there are a couple of inspired missions and weapons in there).

EDIT 2: Any franchise of the genre Strategy, MMORPG, MOBA or Sports is automatically not my thing either. 

Edited by QuentinCle95

I'm the opposite of OP, couldn't get into Mass Effect but love Dragon Age. I could look past the very minor performance issues in Origins, but in Mass Effect 1... It just feels so bad and unpolished. Not a fan of combat either or the rover that you spend most of your time in. I want to like it, since I loved Bioware's work on Dragon Age and I hear the story is great, but... I just can't.

Other than that there's Grand Theft Auto. Only played V, but after playing Sleeping Dogs and Watch Dogs (both of which I believe to be superior in every way), playing GTAV is just... not fun. Driving is wonky, the cops are extremely frustrating to deal with, it's impossible to get around without alerting the cops, the missions are repetitive, the characters are all really bad (Trevor especially, can't stand him).

• Like 2

Other than that there's Grand Theft Auto. Only played V, but after playing Sleeping Dogs and Watch Dogs (both of which I believe to be superior in every way), playing GTAV is just... not fun. Driving is wonky, the cops are extremely frustrating to deal with, it's impossible to get around without alerting the cops, the missions are repetitive, the characters are all really bad (Trevor especially, can't stand him).

GTAV is just a bad game in the franchise. Give Vice City and San Andreas a chance, they're the definitive GTA games in my opinion.

For me there's only two that come to mind...

... Resident Evil and Dead Rising (played RE5 and DR2).

Mostly due to the gameplay, you handle like a tank and the inventory systems are terrible in both.

And in DR I HATE the timed mission system, worst idea ever, in my opinion.

EDIT: But I'm willing to give RE a chance with VII.

Edited by JavaNext

Assassin's Creed, Elder Scrolls, Prince of Persia, and God of War are really the big ones. I'm just not a fan of games that take place any further back than the 1900's considering I love the BioShock franchise, and my favorite franchise of all time being Uncharted while it covers history it's still very much set in present day. But I most definitely can't get into Elder Scrolls being a hideously looking game visually and being overly gray. That's really my big beef with a lot of these kinds of games in that they're just not colorful vibrant looking games. But really Dishonored is the only Bethesda game I enjoyed regardless of Bethesda's weird visual style, since I tend to have a problem with Bethesda games, and then the majority of Valve and Ubisoft games are just either overhyped or not that exciting.

I don't think I'll ever play Final Fantasy series, it just has too many entries, besides I'm not into RPGs. Grand Theft Auto series is another series I don't plan to play since is not my cup of tea. Military themed FPS games, specially if they have multiplayer. And any xbox exclusive game, since I'm a loyal PS costumer, besides PS have better exclusives in my opinion.

Anyway, never say never, except for the xbox line.

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 1

What a funny topic  :giggle:

Anyways only one thing I know that I couldn't get into since I suck at it. But I welcome the lore and the "ecchi" fan arts.

signup_logo2_clean.png

I feel like this almost goes without saying. I've always found that 1) MOBA and MMORPG gamers and 2) other kinds of gamers are almost mutually exclusive. I've never met anyone who likes both. 

Ass Creed

Bloodlines ... Just fucking dog shit ..

One of the 360 ones, didn't grab my interest to even remember which one it was.

Syndicate - Buggy as fuck, broke at one point and the over arching story was shit .. and wtf was Jack The Ripper DLC .. He ran every gang in London, killed loads of cops? Urghh

Freedom Cry - Buggy as fuck again .. 

Oh my gosh idk where to even start

1) Mass effect

I don't dig the space settings especially the weird romances between aliens?!

2) DMC series

Too much hell/red everywhere plus the story is very uninteresting imo

3) Ratchet and Clank

Too childish for me and plot is probably written for a younger audience.

4)Sly Cooper

Same as Ratchet and Clank

5) Jak an Sacred

Same as Ratchet and Clank

6) Resident Evil

Did I mention how much I hate zombies and fixated cameras? Put two together and you create a game I'll never touch even with a 10m pole.

7) Metal Gear series

I'm kind of interested actually but I'd have to play all of the older outdated games and spend many many hrs learning the lore and watching the cutscenes O.O. No thx

8) Assassin's Creed

I liked AC II but looking at the successors I don't want to play more or less the same game.

9) prince of Persia

I really hated this game. How do people like this is beyond me. The platforming is atrocious because of how repetitive it is. I can't blame them really because it's hard to play around with a game to make it different where the central theme is platforming.

9) Dead space

Aliens or zombies games are the worst thing for me to play as I mentioned with resident evil.

10) Lego games

Same as Ratchet and clank

11) Spiderman

From what I saw it uses a repetitive formula that every open world games falls a trap into. Oh did mention the insane amount of collectibles?

Resistance:

Tired of fpss

Battlefield:

Same as Resistance

Cod:

Used to like it but same as Resistance

Dark souls:

I don't like the atmosphere and I'm not going to lie I suck at it. Also I hate that i can lose about 3-4 hrs of progress if I die, and die again if I don't get my souls back

I'll update more once I remember more!

Just thinking about game franchises i played at least for a few hours:

CoD and Battlefield: online focused shooter? No go :P

Infamous: lost interest after a few hours in the 1st game....

Mass Effect: didn't even finish the 1st mission of the 1st game, just didn't look good in my eyes...

I could add hundreds of franchises from which i never played anything because it doesn't appeal to me xD

Edited by Evil_Joker88

Call of Duty - played a bit of COD4, wasn't impressed, didn't bother with the others

Mortal Kombat - I'm a Street Fighter man :P

Resident Evil - Dino Crisis was good, and the Onimusha series was brilliant, but couldn't get into Resi

All sports games - just not interested

Battlefield - have little to no interest in playing a MP-focused FPS game

Final Fantasy - never felt the urge to try the series out