Is that normal with my ps4 ?

Natsuu24

Hi guys!!
First of all, i bought my ps4 1 week ago, and everything works fine! I.m just worried about this: when i have my ps4 on, sometimes i ear some "click" "tchk" , some "pop" (i dont know if this is the correct word, but you get it), and i dont know if that is normal. Because i ear a lot when i,m playing (if i turn off the sound of my tv). And when i turn off my ps, the pop will continue for 10/13 minutes and no more. Its not every time, for example, i ear, and then ear again after 3/5 seconds, but stop for 1/2 minutes, and then ear again "tchk"...
I,m just worried about this, because i dont know if is normal. I think is hdd, but the sound still after turn off the ps4 for low time :/
Ohh, and other thing: my ps4 is 1TB, but come with 860G... Is normal too ??

Thanks everyone, and sorry for not very good english.

For the sounds, I'm not sure. But for the HDD that is normal. You will never get the full specified storage space on any device, because the system uses some file size for system data, preferences, reserve for updates, etc. The 500GB PS4 was actually around 405-425GB of available space, and my 320GB PS3 has 298GB available to use. The rest gets allocated to the system

• Like 2

my pro is also generating some strange noises sometimes... especially when i'm powering down there is some kind of short "screeching" sound. 

overall i think the bluray drive is louder than the old one, but i'm not sure about that.

and the HDD thing is absolutely normal, you can even notice this if you put a "2tb" drive into your pc or whatever, but the ps4 is even reserving a bit more space for the system, like the person above me already stated :)

my 2tb ps4pro has just under 1,8tb available, for example.

Thanks guys, i,m really worried about this :/ The ps4 works normal, everything is fine, but this sound... i dont know, but dont like it xD On my ps3, the hdd made a sound weird too, but i know what it is. But like this one, i never saw on my life :/ Its like a "click", for example, when you press "hard" your hand on something, it will make a "tchk", the sound is so similar to this

Thanks guys, i,m really worried about this :/ The ps4 works normal, everything is fine, but this sound... i dont know, but dont like it xD On my ps3, the hdd made a sound weird too, but i know what it is. But like this one, i never saw on my life :/ Its like a "click", for example, when you press "hard" your hand on something, it will make a "tchk", the sound is so similar to this

i know what sound you're talking about. i think it's just the case around the ps4 giving away, kinda like if you press your hand hard against an older table. that's normal. i wouldn't worry about it. my ps4 sometimes makes a beep sound and i've never really thought anything of it. my ps4 launch console been working fine ever since.

Edited by UlvenFenrir

i know what sound you're talking about. i think it's just the case around the ps4 giving away, kinda like if you press your hand hard against an older table. that's normal. i wouldn't worry about it. my ps4 sometimes makes a beep sound and i've never really thought anything of it. my ps4 launch console been working fine ever since.

Yea, but just 1 small sound, like "tchk" and not "tckkkkkkkkkkk" xD Anyway, and is normal even if i turn off the ps4 ?? Because sometimes does after 10/20 minutes turn off the console

Yea, but just 1 small sound, like "tchk" and not "tckkkkkkkkkkk" xD Anyway, and is normal even if i turn off the ps4 ?? Because sometimes does after 10/20 minutes turn off the console

pretty sure it's normal. ever heard the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it"? as long as your ps4 is working as it should then i wouldn't worry about any of it my friend. :) just have fun with your games and ps4. if anything should happen (unlikely) then you can always go back to the shop where you bought it and get a replacement if you have the receipt.

is your ps4 placed on some wooden furniture by any chance?

it's generating quit some heat, so there is thermal "stress" to the wooden surface of course.

when i turn off my ps4 (or even ps3, since it's on the same shelf) my furniture is making "clicking" noises for some time as it is cooling down ;)

Your ps4 is still under guarantee. Change it for another one and problem solved. I think is the most effective and fast solution.

is your ps4 placed on some wooden furniture by any chance?

it's generating quit some heat, so there is thermal "stress" to the wooden surface of course.

when i turn off my ps4 (or even ps3, since it's on the same shelf) my furniture is making "clicking" noises for some time as it is cooling down ;)

Yes, it is. When i start up my ps4, i dont ear anything, only some noise from hdd and disc, but after 1/2 minutes, let the "tchk" begin :D Well, i will do some research on web and see if i find something. If not, i will need to trade it, because only have 8 days since i bought

The sound is = like when we press or touch our ps4 with our hand with a little force, is really equal to this

I did a quick search and someone with a similar situation did pop up on Gamefag.

and it seem a lot's of people did say they have the same clicking noises but their ps4 is running normal, some said the ps3 can also do this even if it's brand new.

I think it's a normal thing ( something to do with the HDD while it's doing its works )

also a friend of mine told me that his ps4 makes beping sound from time to time when playing fifa 17 ( digital ) also the beping can be heard when the ps4 is off, he told me that he ask someone who knows about this stuff and the person tell him it's actually a normal things that's going inside the ps4 that you suppose to not hear but your ps4 just happen to do it slightly louder.

as for the "from 1TB to 860GB this is so normal. the ps4 need it's on share of data to do it's stuff like frame updates, stuff running in the background, and the operating system works etc. not just the ps4 is doing this, PC ps3 360 XBONE Vita and Wii U are all also do this.

Edited by yellowwindow7

The cracking/popping noises are from the plastic case of the system expanding and contracting from the heat. Nothing to worry about.

Hmm, maybe is that. Like i said, The sound is like when we press or touch our ps4 with our hand with a little force. I talked with my friend, and he says her ps4 in the beggining do that, so, i hope with me is the same.

Thanks everyone guys! 

mine make noises too. since im paranoid about dust or anything getting inside the system, i always keep a can of dust cleaner handy. even if it does nothing beneficial for the system, it just makes me feel better after spraying it.

Edited by miki-iki

Hi guys!!

First of all, i bought my ps4 1 week ago, and everything works fine! I.m just worried about this: when i have my ps4 on, sometimes i ear some "click" "tchk" , some "pop" (i dont know if this is the correct word, but you get it), and i dont know if that is normal. Because i ear a lot when i,m playing (if i turn off the sound of my tv). And when i turn off my ps, the pop will continue for 10/13 minutes and no more. Its not every time, for example, i ear, and then ear again after 3/5 seconds, but stop for 1/2 minutes, and then ear again "tchk"...

I,m just worried about this, because i dont know if is normal. I think is hdd, but the sound still after turn off the ps4 for low time :/

Ohh, and other thing: my ps4 is 1TB, but come with 860G... Is normal too ??

Thanks everyone, and sorry for not very good english.

The "tchk" and "click" sounds can only be one of two things; 1. It's the Blu-ray Disc reader making noise as it searches for data or 2. it's the HDD (hard disk drive) making noise as the actuator flicks back and forth looking for data.

For the sounds, I'm not sure. But for the HDD that is normal. You will never get the full specified storage space on any device, because the system uses some file size for system data, preferences, reserve for updates, etc. The 500GB PS4 was actually around 405-425GB of available space, and my 320GB PS3 has 298GB available to use. The rest gets allocated to the system

^ WTF? This has little to do with system allocation... It has everything to do with the way manufacturers quantify their HDD sizes versus the mount of usable space after formatting. HDD manufacturers advertise storage space in units of 1000 where actual storage is measured in units of 1024. Also, a HDD will show different formatted size depending on the byte allocation size you use.

http://www.howtogeek.com/123268/windows-hard-drive-wrong-capacity/

Keep in mind that the hard drive manufacturers are using the accurate description of the terms–the prefix giga, for instance, means a power of 1000, whereas the correct term for powers of 1024 is gibibyte, though it isn’t often used. Unfortunately, Windows has always calculated hard drives as powers of 1024 while hard drive manufacturers use powers of 1000.

Learn about hard drives before spreading misinformation.

Edited by IronMask75

Hmm, maybe is that. Like i said, The sound is like when we press or touch our ps4 with our hand with a little force. I talked with my friend, and he says her ps4 in the beggining do that, so, i hope with me is the same.

Thanks everyone guys! 

Yup, definitely just the plastic reacting the way it should with the heat, you're fine  :)

Sounds like a hdd failure might be imminent. The hard drive disk is scratching when reads.

I search on google, and 99% says is normal, so, i guess it is. And some guys says this is more normal and loud on the beggining. Is just a little anoying , when i need to sleep and ear that noise xD (like a "tick" after we turn off our car")

But yeah its good to be optimistic.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

The cracking/popping noises are from the plastic case of the system expanding and contracting from the heat. Nothing to worry about.

This is probably what it is, mine has been doing it since day 1 and it's a original phat bought in the first few weeks of release. It makes the same noises when turning off, it's nothing to be alarmed about.

You will NEVER get a full capacity Hard drive... this is common sense.  It needs that extra room for system OS/restores/etc.

You will never get the full specified storage space on any device, because the system uses some file size for system data, preferences, reserve for updates, etc. The 500GB PS4 was actually around 405-425GB of available space, and my 320GB PS3 has 298GB available to use. The rest gets allocated to the system

Edited by DARKB1KE

This is probably what it is, mine has been doing it since day 1 and it's a original phat bought in the first few weeks of release. It makes the same noises when turning off, it's nothing to be alarmed about.

Yeah, it is. For example, when i press the plastic on ps4, the sound is the same. And i think ps4 slim have weaker plastic. Is a bit annoying ear that sound, specially in the night, when we go sleep, but i hope in the future stop do that sound

About the 1TB it is that way

Producers call it 1TB, which is TeraByte and it is 1000 * 1000 * 1000 * 1000 B

But your system call it 1TB, but thinks 1TiB, which TeraBinaryByte and it is 1024 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024

Now you can calculate

1 TB = 1000 * 1000 * 1000 * 10000 B ~~ 0.9095 TiB = 909,5 GB

if you substrack place for system use (like swap, system etc.) it should calculate

Edited by MonadStanley
  • Like 1

Update:
Well, i traded my ps4 for another one (the store where i traded says it have a problem), and now i dont ear so much the noise (thats nice), but ear a "PUP" more loud sometimes, after turn off my ps4 (in 5/5 minutes, sometimes more time, sometimes less, for 1/2h). For example, this morning, i ear a "PUP" sound, and my console was off all night. Is no problem at all ??
But that sounds is more normal (way more normal) than the other one. This will stop now with time ??