Did I just make things worse for myself?

Floriiss

Hi PSNP,

I'm currently playing MGR:R and I'm working on achieving S ranks on all missions in story mode. However, progress has been really slow and I noticed something off. Literally every video I watch about people achieving S ranks on these missions, they all have all weapons available and even have ripper mode. 

I on the other hand have nothing available other than the starting gear. Every time I did a new play trough I chose 'new game' rather than 'continue'. I thought that would make sense, since it's a new play trough. Now I'm guessing that if I had chosen continue it'd be more like a NG+ thing? I wasn't really sure whether or not that'd unlock the other difficult trophies, hence why I picked new game.. 

So now I'm wondering whether or not to continue with this play trough, or start a new play trough on a lower difficulty setting and then do Revengeance with better equipment. So far it's been really tough. I've finally been able to beat Mistral flawless after four hours of trying. With this difficulty and starting gear I barely do any damage. It's gross.

For those people that have completed Revengeance with S rank, could you give me an estimate of how tough it'll be with no upgrade weapons/jack the ripper mode? Because if there are even tougher parts that I've faced as of now, it's gonna be a real challenge :P. Feels like I've got a huge disadventage right now.

You might want to do a playthrough on Normal difficulty, get a feel for the battle system and unlock things that will help you in Revengeance difficulty.  The only chapter that you have to do with no upgrades is the first one.  It should not be something that takes you forever to do, Metal Gear Rising's story can literally be completed with 40 minutes.

Also, 4 hours of trying? That's terrible.  You are going to hate it when you come to Monsoon.

Edited by DEMON

Unlimited Ripper Mode does increase your damage, which in turn makes it easier to complete fights within the set amount of time for an S rank. But other things like getting enough kills, BP, zandatsus, and taking no damage can be done with basic equipment. Seeing how you like a challenge, you can just continue with the current equipment.

I highly recommend doing it with better gear. I don't really remember how it went though after completing the game on normal mode (I unlocked Revengeance with Konami code). I know I still had my weapons, probably had my upgrades as well. Getting S rank on Revengeance is already challenging enough as it is. You'll want a your weapons to be maxed out. You want to use the blade you get from Sam (maxed out) the most. It deals good damage and you need good damage because the faster you kill, the less time you have to get hit by stuff and ruin your S rank.

I would start over again and farm a couple of hours. There is a farming method in the sewer where you can get a lot of BP. You'll need it for the Ich Liebe Das Kapitalismus trophy anyway.

Also, a friendly word of advice, look up the requirements on bosses for S rank. On the Armstrong fight, after a good hour, I finally beat him without taking damage only to find out I got an A rank. Turned out you need a 100 combo on him which is achieved through unlimited zandatsu time slashing at him as he regens.

Edited by Starflakes

Fox Blade 'nuff said.

That weapon is awesome.  But I think it was only pre-order bonus so Floriiss might not have it? Even so though, you still need to upgrade that weapon so it can literally destroy everything in sight.  And it's also useless for boss fights.

Edited by DEMON

You might want to do a playthrough on Normal difficulty, get a feel for the battle system and unlock things that will help you in Revengeance difficulty.  The only chapter that you have to do with no upgrades is the first one.  It should not be something that takes you forever to do, Metal Gear Rising's story can literally be completed with 40 minutes.

Also, 4 hours of trying? That's terrible.  You are going to hate it when you come to Monsoon.

I've already played through the game twice now (Once on normal and once on hard) so I think I've got quite a feel for the battle system already :P

Unlimited Ripper Mode does increase your damage, which in turn makes it easier to complete fights within the set amount of time for an S rank. But other things like getting enough kills, BP, zandatsus, and taking no damage can be done with basic equipment. Seeing how you like a challenge, you can just continue with the current equipment.

Without unlimited Ripper Mode it's really hard since I barely do any damage with standard equipment on this difficulty. 

Certainly do love a challenge, altho don't want to spend way more time than necessary. :P

I highly recommend doing it with better gear. I don't really remember how it went though after completing the game on normal mode (I unlocked Revengeance with Konami code). I know I still had my weapons, probably had my upgrades as well. Getting S rank on Revengeance is already challenging enough as it is. You'll want a your weapons to be maxed out. You want to use the blade you get from Sam (maxed out) the most. It deals good damage and you need good damage because the faster you kill, the less time you have to get hit by stuff and ruin your S rank.

I would start over again and farm a couple of hours. There is a farming method in the sewer where you can get a lot of BP. You'll need it for the Ich Liebe Das Kapitalismus trophy anyway.

Also, a friendly word of advice, look up the requirements on bosses for S rank. On the Armstrong fight, after a good hour, I finally beat him without taking damage only to find out I got an A rank. Turned out you need a 100 combo on him which is achieved through unlimited zandatsu time slashing at him as he regens.

Thanks for sharing the farm method! 

You recon it'd be impossibel to achieve the 100 combo on Armstrong without unlimited Zandatsu? If so, then it's even necessary for me to do another playtrough. Because now I dont have that unlocked hmm.

Fox Blade 'nuff said.

That weapon is awesome.  But I think it was only pre-order bonus so Floriiss might not have it? Even so though, you still need to upgrade that weapon so it can literally destroy everything in sight.  And it's also useless for boss fights.

Nope, I don't think I've got that one :P. Tbh I rarely use any other weapons. It's mainly the default blade :P

There might be another method, but I doubt it. Should have saved the S rank run for last. You'll need to play on hard and collect all the hands, which is also a trophy. Also, Fox blade is way too strong and sometmes you kill enemies so fast, you can't even use Zandatsu or get good combos in. So it's higly recommended you use the Sam's red blade maxed out if you're going to use a sword.

Edited by Starflakes

Without unlimited Ripper Mode it's really hard since I barely do any damage with standard equipment on this difficulty. 

Certainly do love a challenge, altho don't want to spend way more time than necessary. :P

Nope, I don't think I've got that one :P. Tbh I rarely use any other weapons. It's mainly the default blade :P

Then I recommend to change your equipment a bit. That red katana from Sam is the one I liked the most. Though don't use the wooden sword, that one really nerfes the damage to almost nothing.

Edit, I was wrong, for the infinite fuel cells, you need Wig B, which requires you to get 20 hands and beat the game on normal mode. A very good weapon is the Armour Breaker maxed out in some scenarios. It has a pretty good chance of completely making the enemy  vulnerable to zandatsu. That being said, it's a bit vague for me since it's been a while. But you should definitely get all the trophies first but the S rank run. At least the collectible ones. Stuff like ich liebe das kapitalismus, listening to the codes most of the time and such can be done after. Just get the stuff out of the way that gives you gear and wigs.

However, it's important to note that if you would do another playthrough on normal that you carefully look up what needs to be done for certain trophies. Because you don't want to deal with some on Revegeance difficulty. I also recommend getting the codec trophy out of the way. Really annoying trophy and you'll understand why. But better to get it out of the way then, than having to play through the game again to get it.

Edited by Starflakes

Actually, you don't want to speedrun your normal mode. You want to be thourough and get all the codec converstations. It's an extremely obnoxious trophy. Trust me, you don't want to get all the collectibles and speedrun through, do your Revengeance run and then go back to boring normal mode where you will have an extremely long playthrough. Trust me on this one, I made this mistake and I almost gave up because it was that horrible.

Actually, you don't want to speedrun your normal mode. You want to be thourough and get all the codec converstations. It's an extremely obnoxious trophy. Trust me, you don't want to get all the collectibles and speedrun through, do your Revengeance run and then go back to boring normal mode where you will have an extremely long playthrough. Trust me on this one, I made this mistake and I almost gave up because it was that horrible.

Don't worry, I finished my normal run right now and got all codecs and all missable trophies out of the way. Upgraded a lot of my gear. Man Ripper mode is pretty damn OP. Lets see how this'll turn out in Revengeance mode, I'm pretty sure it'll help a lot.

• Like 1

I absolutely love this game so damn much and even though getting S ranks on revengeance was sometimes extremely challenging it was still super enjoyable. I was going to come here to recommend the FOX blade as well. Definitely worth getting that. Also putting on wigs are a huge help as well. Especially on some ranked battles where you'll need infinite ammo. 

Enjoy the game Floriiss :D

Hi PSNP,

I'm currently playing MGR:R

By the way, I know there is already a thread discussing this, but what did you think of VR Mission 18? 

Edited by PipeSwinger

I absolutely love this game so damn much and even though getting S ranks on revengeance was sometimes extremely challenging it was still super enjoyable. I was going to come here to recommend the FOX blade as well. Definitely worth getting that. Also putting on wigs are a huge help as well. Especially on some ranked battles where you'll need infinite ammo. 

Enjoy the game Floriiss :D

By the way, I know there is already a thread discussing this, but what did you think of VR Mission 18? 

I really enjoyed both normal and hard playtroughes, but Revengeance without any good gear made my experience less enjoyable. However, now that I've got good equipment (Unl. Jack ripper mode and Fox Blade) it is really fun. I'm having so much fun right now! With all this upgraded gear I feel so powerful :D

So yeah, even after 3+ playtroughes it's still a lot of fun! :D

To be honest VR mission 18 didn't take me too long. When I started the VR missions I expected a big challenge.. but most of the missions were really easy. Number 18 was a bit tougher, but still quite easy. It probably took me around 1 to 2 hours max to complete mission 18. Most of the others were in a few attempts, or some even first try. :)

EDIT: How's the DLC btw? Looking forward to play that too!

Edited by Floriiss

Here's the easiest way to do it.

1. Beat the game and buy ALL upgrades.

2. Use the wig that gives you unlimited ripper mode.

3. Optional (but recommended) buy the Gray Fox DLC if you can. This gives you his sword that cuts through enemies like butter with a hot knife. People just die as you slash them.

4. Now go through the game but with the equipment you have now your only focus should just be beating the game as fast as possible without taking any damage. Super easy with the wig and Fox blade. Although the boss fight are skill gonna test your skills but everything else will be easier that way.

Good luck with the VR missions. Some of those are tough and WILL require you to repeat multiple times.

It probably took me around 1 to 2 hours max to complete mission 18. Most of the others were in a few attempts, or some even first try. :)

EDIT: How's the DLC btw? Looking forward to play that too!

Jeez you beast! Took me 6 hours! Although I did almost get it done in half the time, but I screwed up my stun lock on the grad  :facepalm: . Despite the difficulty for me, I had SO much fun with that VR mission and I go back to it from time to time to see if I can beat my time lol.

DLC isn't bad at all! I just finished the Jetstream Sam DLC. Played it like 7 times. The boss fight at the end is very exciting, and you may find yourself using similar techniques that you may have used during the Sundowner boss fight. The VR DLC isn't too bad. And I am currently playing the Bladewolf DLC and I am having a blast.

I am really hoping they re release this on PS4. I know an MGR 2 is way to ambitious to ask for sadly. 

MGR might have a weak story, but it is certainly fun!

Jeez you beast! Took me 6 hours! Although I did almost get it done in half the time, but I screwed up my stun lock on the grad  :facepalm: . Despite the difficulty for me, I had SO much fun with that VR mission and I go back to it from time to time to see if I can beat my time lol.

DLC isn't bad at all! I just finished the Jetstream Sam DLC. Played it like 7 times. The boss fight at the end is very exciting, and you may find yourself using similar techniques that you may have used during the Sundowner boss fight. The VR DLC isn't too bad. And I am currently playing the Bladewolf DLC and I am having a blast.

I am really hoping they re release this on PS4. I know an MGR 2 is way to ambitious to ask for sadly. 

MGR might have a weak story, but it is certainly fun!

Haha ouch. For me wave 3 was the hardest.. but I was really surprised when I saw wave 4. That one was seriously a joke with just three of these mini guys (Idk what they are called? Gekkos or something? Or are those the cows lol?). Also wave 5 was surprisingly easy with the stun method.. luckily I didnt mess up on that part. :P

Sounds like the DLC is just as much fun as the main game! Can't wait to play it! :D. Wondering if I should buy it now, or wait for a sale? Tbh I dont think I've ever seen the dlc of MGR:R on sale.