Is the Vita Worth It? Please leave advice

Alternatewarning

Yes

Pros

1. Maximises PS+ membership benefits of free games & discounts.

2. Cross-Buy with PS3 and PS4 versions of that game that supports it.

3. Trophy hunting you have a spare platform to collect platinum's on.

4. JRPG / Visual Novel fest for some really unique games as well as excellent indie titles.

Cons

1. Expensive Memory Cards because of proprietary ports

2. Only one PSN account sign in per unit.

Edited by DarkSoleride
  • Like 2

I mean, if you care about *exclusives* then Vita is getting fewer and fewer of those. Most of it's games are on other systems now. Like PS4 or PC [often both]. Still PS3 for some of them as well.

But if you value portability, like I do for some types of games [visual novels for example] then it's worth it. There's a lot of indies that fit perfectly on Vita, still some exclusives left on the Vita too. And t he JRPGs designed for Vita and ported elsewhere are great on Vita. Digimon for example. As compared to downports from PS4 or something like World of FF, while I had no real issue with that port, I still ended up playing more on PS4 since it felt better there [and was certainly faster].

The Vita is worth it, but so is the 3DS. 

Very subjective. I barely ever touch my 3DS. I just do not enjoy using it, even if some games interest me it's hard to be motivated to play any of them when the hardware is so... meh, to put it kindly. And the OS is terrible. I don't hate that I have one or anything, but if I hadn't ever gotten one I wouldn't feel like I'm missing anything either. Most of what I get from the games I do like on it, are thoughts about how much better it would be on any other platform, not just Vita, but PS4, or even Wii U [FF Explorers for example]. And I'm not a huge fan of the Wii U for the same reasons I'm not a fan of the 3DS. I've also fallen out of love for PS3 due to how outdated it is, but at least it has an excuse being from 2006.

Sounds like a no brainer if you love JRPGs and VNs.  Just be aware that the Vita does have the more niche titles of those genres, so if you're looking for more popular JRPGs like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, you'll be disappointed.  But if you are willing to try series you aren't as familiar with, then you'll have a blast.  The Vita has some great games from smaller developers who are more willing to try different things so you can get some really awesome and unique experiences.

Some other points that others didn't mention yet, you didn't mention anything about if you had a PSP or not.  If you didn't have a PSP, you'll also gain access to all the PSP games that are available on PSN, which has some gems as well.  If you did have a PSP, then any digital games you bought would be accessible on your Vita.

Another good point is that the Vita is region free.  While it sucks that you can only have one account on it at a time (at least not without buying another memory card or formatting a memory card), you can buy physical copies of Japanese games and play them on the Vita with no need to do anything more.  So some of those games that won't ever be localized are still open to you and some Japanese games can be very fun even without knowledge of the language or you may be able to find a translation guide somewhere and be able to understand it.

I'm also a huge fan of the freedom a handheld gives you to play wherever.  With a console, and often with PC (unless you have a laptop), you're tied to one spot to play games.  With a handheld you can enjoy games wherever you want even within your home.  No need to pause because nature calls, bring the system with you.  I often will play Vita while waiting for food to cook and I play it at work as well even though I work from home.  The Vita is just much easier than a regular console to pause at any moment and set aside and then pick up again when work is slow (making me the only person who doesn't complain about being bored when we go two hours without calls, I'd only be bored if I was out of Vita games).  Handhelds are also great for people who don't have a lot of time to play since handheld games are often made to be played for shorter intervals, so they can be great for busy people.  This fact alone is why I tend to buy multiplatform games on Vita.

So yeah, I think you are likely to be satisfied with it

Hey man! Vita has many visual novels and JRPGs that you'll love!

I think since you have a PS3, and you eventually may get a PS4, Vita might be a better choice as you can share the same ecosystem (PS Plus w free games) and cross buy, trophy stack/syncing etc. 

However, Vita may be slowing down about now (no black friday deals are an indication of that) but you will have a good backlog of games to play.

If you can get it for cheap, got for it!

• Like 1

Very subjective. I barely ever touch my 3DS. I just do not enjoy using it, even if some games interest me it's hard to be motivated to play any of them when the hardware is so... meh, to put it kindly. And the OS is terrible. I don't hate that I have one or anything, but if I hadn't ever gotten one I wouldn't feel like I'm missing anything either. Most of what I get from the games I do like on it, are thoughts about how much better it would be on any other platform, not just Vita, but PS4, or even Wii U [FF Explorers for example]. And I'm not a huge fan of the Wii U for the same reasons I'm not a fan of the 3DS. I've also fallen out of love for PS3 due to how outdated it is, but at least it has an excuse being from 2006.

To each their own, but in my opinion a system is only as good as it's software library regardless of how technologically advanced or user friendly it is. On those merits, the 3DS is well worth a purchase for most JRPG fans.

• Like 2

Let me echo awf. As much as I'm about to be a Vita fan, the 3DS has an AWESOME library of RPGs. I would have bought the Vita long ago if those games came out here. Dragon Quest? Shin Megami Tensai? You just can't beat that pedigree (only Persona 4 Golden aspires to that level, and unsurprisingly, that is the first game I will be playing for realsies, after going through some of the freebies I've acquired over the months from PS+).

• Like 2

Let me echo awf. As much as I'm about to be a Vita fan, the 3DS has an AWESOME library of RPGs. I would have bought the Vita long ago if those games came out here. Dragon Quest? Shin Megami Tensai? You just can't beat that pedigree (only Persona 4 Golden aspires to that level, and unsurprisingly, that is the first game I will be playing for realsies, after going through some of the freebies I've acquired over the months from PS+).

Don't let the freebies delay you from playing Persona 4 Golden. There is no time like the present to play your new favorite game of all time  ;)

On a side note, I highly recommend Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth as well for JRPG fans. I picked it up having never played a Digimon game and not knowing what to expect, and it blew me away. Most fun I've had with a monster collecting RPG since Pokemon Yellow.

To each their own, but in my opinion a system is only as good as it's software library regardless of how technologically advanced or user friendly it is. On those merits, the 3DS is well worth a purchase for most JRPG fans.

I am a JRPG fan, most of what I own on 3DS are JRPGs.

But I'm not alone in the hardware you *HAVE TO PLAY THE GAME ON* affecting HOW YOU ENJOY THE GAME. Because there's no way around that. You can't detach the two from each other. 3DS isn't even comfortable to hold, let alone use for an extended period of time. And the offerings, are no where near what the DS offered. Then again Vita doesn't offer anywhere near what PSP did either. Thanks mobile!

Edited by Elvick_

But I'm not alone in the hardware you *HAVE TO PLAY THE GAME ON* affecting HOW YOU ENJOY THE GAME. Because there's no way around that. You can't detach the two from each other. 3DS isn't even comfortable to hold, let alone use for an extended period of time. And the offerings, are no where near what the DS offered. Then again Vita doesn't offer anywhere near what PSP did either. Thanks mobile!

I don't know about that.  If a game is great, I lose myself in the experience to the point where the device or controller I am holding don't really matter.  Sure, I might have hand cramps after a 3 hour session of Fire Emblem, but WORTH IT!

Region free?  I'm on board

Another good point is that the Vita is region free.  While it sucks that you can only have one account on it at a time (at least not without buying another memory card or formatting a memory card), you can buy physical copies of Japanese games and play them on the Vita with no need to do anything more.  So some of those games that won't ever be localized are still open to you and some Japanese games can be very fun even without knowledge of the language or you may be able to find a translation guide somewhere and be able to understand it.

Thanks everyone for the advice!  Looks like I"m going to ask for one, still up to the parents weather or not I'll get one but it's a start

This is a brilliant typo =D

It's actually Tensei (resurrection/reincarnation) =D

Shin Megami Tensei = True Goddess Reincarnation

Shin Megami Tensai = True Goddess Genius 

:D

Your wife is awesome.

My wife IS awesome. And thanksfor the correction. I did think it was Tensai, but I know better now (although "genius" would be cool too).

• 2 weeks later...

For visual novel style games, the Vita is a good investment. Root Letter just came out and it's apparently pretty good. I have the Corpse Party games on it and those are fun to me. Plus trophy support on the Vita makes me prefer it over the 3DS for some games such as Zero Time Dilemma. We're supposed to be getting Valhalla: Cyberpunk Bartending this month, but no news on it. Honestly there were also a couple of other Vita games that didn't happen in the west because the demand wasn't high enough such as I am Setsuna.

However given your tastes I'd say the Vita is worth it. Make sure you get the 2000 model and not the 1000. While the 1000 has a slightly nicer screen, it has poorer battery life, uses a proprietary charger which may be a pain to find spares of if you break it. Also the 2000 has 1GB of internal memory so you can at least save games without having to get a memory card which are ungodly expensive.

1 hour ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

Also the 2000 has 1GB of internal memory so you can at least save games without having to get a memory card which are ungodly expensive.

It's not like you can actually work without them :P

Seriously... invest into one 32GB one and you are set forever. It's one time investment, it's not like you need to buy cards as often as games, lol =D

I mean, it's pretty much price of one game. Do that and you no longer need to care =D

And the 1000 x 2000 has no clear winner. 2000 may have advantages like you mentioned, but it's also more cheaply made.

2 hours ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

Also the 2000 has 1GB of internal memory so you can at least save games without having to get a memory card which are ungodly expensive.

I don't think this is a good reason to get the 2000... It would be only good when you would buy every game as retail version. You're from Germany, you should know that Vita "has no games". So, where are you supposed to get games from? ...PSN. In sales. Also waaaay cheaper than retail. There are not that much games that need less than 1GB.

=> Your argument is invalid.

You can simply buy a 32GB memory card on eBay from a Japanese store. Most of them have free shipping and I wasn't even paying import charge. I got a 32GB card for the current pice of a 8GB card in Europe, or a 16GB card back then. And, as we see now, Vita and Vita stuff becomes more rare here, which means, it would be a super good idea to import your memoy card from Japan. It also means THERE ARE NO GAMES... Which leads us back to PSN, which means the 1GB internal memory is useless. Sorry. :P 

...And, DO NOT buy a 64GB card. It was cheap, and big enough, but mine bricked.

Edited by Neputyunu

35 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

I don't think this is a good reason to get the 2000... It would be only good when you would buy every game as retail version. You're from Germany, you should know that Vita "has no games". So, where are you supposed to get games from?

Many of us here in Germany import American versions and I can buy them from the American military base. Since the Vita can only really go up to 64GB with memory cards, it's not viable to go for digital mostly if you plan on getting a decent amount of games. Sadly Sony dropped the ball with that. The 1GB though can make a huge difference when you're on a budget though and already dropping a considerable amount on a handheld that you may only use for a few games. It could mean the difference between paying quite a few dollars more and not.

Granted yes, the memory card is essential if you want to play more than a few games or play a digital only game, but that 1GB can definitely save your butt if you are a few short of being able to afford the system and a game you want. It's not the best, but it at least makes it so the Vita can do "something" out of the package.

1 hour ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

And the 1000 x 2000 has no clear winner. 2000 may have advantages like you mentioned, but it's also more cheaply made.

I held and played around with both, never really felt like the 2000 was any different in terms of build quality. But mileage may vary.

35 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

You can simply buy a 32GB memory card on eBay from a Japanese store. Most of them have free shipping and I wasn't even paying import charge. I got a 32GB card for the current pice of a 8GB card in Europe, or a 16GB card back then. And, as we see now, Vita and Vita stuff becomes more rare here, which means, it would be a super good idea to import your memoy card from Japan. It also means THERE ARE NO GAMES... Which leads us back to PSN, which means the 1GB internal memory is useless. Sorry. :P 

I agree, but my logic is: every little bit counts. On a system that can only go up to 64GB of storage, every little bit can end up counting in the long run. However yes, I agree invest in a memory card if you can, but if it makes or breaks the difference between getting the system or not, go for the 2000, use the 1GB to hold you over with a physical game and get a memory card when you have more cash. Vs. Getting the 1000 and letting it just... Sit there until you can afford a memory card.

To each their own though, I mean that's just my opinion on the matter.

Also going to once again point to proprietary charger. In Europe it's hard as hell to get your hands on that thing, vs. the 2000 which uses a standard USB which you probably have dozens of. So it's a better choice for that, and the battery life is superior which since the Vita has terrible battery life every bit counts. I'd wager those two reasons alone make it worth getting over the original model.

Edited by Cynthia-Roses
Added something

44 minutes ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

Also going to once again point to proprietary charger. In Europe it's hard as hell to get your hands on that thing, vs. the 2000 which uses a standard USB which you probably have dozens of. So it's a better choice for that, and the battery life is superior which since the Vita has terrible battery life every bit counts. I'd wager those two reasons alone make it worth getting over the original model.

I definitely agree with the charger, but I'm not sure about battery life. My 1000 Vita can go 5-6 hours without problems.

@Satoshi Ookami From my experience the 2000 lasts around 40 minutes - 1 hour longer. It's not a lot, but it can help. Sony even rated the Vita's battery at about an hour longer. The main reasoning become the new system's screen is not as nice as the original's. The screen is a small step backwards, but I guess that boils down to if you prefer better screen over battery. It boils down to opinion. I went with the 2000 also because being a newer system it's easier to find working units. Since the original is not sold anymore, you are more or less either going second hand or buying old sealed models.

It's a matter of preference, but both have benefits. There's no denying though that the charger, battery life and having any storage at all in the 2000 is superior to the original. However the original wins in terms of the display. The 2000 was cheaper upon launch so that also made it more valuable to many. I mean the 1GB of storage isn't helpful if you prefer digital games, but if you're a physical collector like myself, that 1GB of storage at LEAST means you can do "something" with the unit the moment you get it. Especially since the cards are pricey. I still invested in a card in the long run, but yeah the 1GB of storage at least meant I could start playing while I waited.

Easily though the USB is the main improvement for me. I would cry if I had to rely on that single charger the system comes with and have no spares unless I order them which are relatively annoying to find. Whereas I have a dozen MicroUSBs laying about and that means I don't need to get a stupid transformer/converter for the charger here in Europe or some stupid crap like that. Ultimately the 2000 served my purposes better.

Sony's focus on digital releases in the west though is perplexing considering you have a unit without much internal storage and its external storage is limited... 64GB is not a whole lot if you actually wanted to grow a library as big as the 3DS on it... Which leads me to believe they never really intended to compete with the 3DS. Damn shame because this handheld is a lot of wasted potential. Still I would recommend it for ANY VN fan out there.