Video Game "Boosting" explained :

Papidadi

Greetings,

Seems that word "boosting" in relation to video games has become a bit of a grey area lately for some gamers. With that being said I have decided to start this thread for the sake of clarity. Video game boosting is when your opponents or enemies work with you in a multiplayer match instead of against you like they should legitimately be doing. For example in the game of Defiance, there is a trophy entitled Vehicular Manslaughter. This trophy requires you to earn 25 kills with a vehicle, by running opponents over. If your opponent is colluding with you and simply let's you run them over instead of legitimately playing the game, then this by definition is boosting.

P.S.  Co-Op gameplay is never boosting, it is team play. You are merely looking to team up for co-operative gameplay, you are not colluding with your enemy or competition to lay down rollover and stay. That is why here on PSN Profiles when you go to create a game session you are given the choice to create a "boosting session" , "Co-Op session" etc. because boosting and co-op are separate...

• Like 3

hmmm...boosting and co-op seem to be grey areas in games where matchmaking is not possible...example gta iv on xbox...there is no way to make a custom match so you need to be involved with some separate form of communication and join public lobbies at the same time and hope you end up in the same lobby...co-op yes, boosting yes...still grey to me...also didn't know "boosting" needed clarification...

urban dictionary's definition suits me better: "In multi-player games, having other people assist you in getting leaderboard position or achievements (xbox 360 specific) by having other people help you in ways that go counter to the game's design. Most often done with one team throwing the game to another."

Edited by ProfBambam55

Thanks, would never have guessed what boosting was on a site like this where boosting threads pop up every other day.

On a more serious note though, since when has boosting been a grey area? Afaik it's always been pretty widely accepted... on trophy forums at least.

The word boosting has been accepted as the same thing as earning since I started collecting trophies. It's a bit pedantic, but OP is correct to a point and bothers me in much the same way as when I see someone misuse to, too and two or their, there and they're. It happens all the time and usually people just overlook it.

Topic/ I see boosting, as it pertains to trophies, as playing a game (pvp and pve) in a way that wasn't intended by the developers in order to earn trophies. Pvp is a given and OP has already defined that well enough. However, there are times when co-op based games are not played how they were intended in order to earn trophies. Using glitches on Payday to earn Easy Street for example.

• Like 1

Greetings,

P.S.  Co-Op gameplay is never boosting, it is team play.

That's cool. People who don't realize the entire world is not either black or white, but that everything is merely different shades of grey are too small minded for me to waste my time on.

Oh, and I'm still going to continue to refer to co-op as boosting cause why not. Everyone involved knows what I and we mean.

It seems a rather pointless distinction to me because 'boosting' is when gamers cooperate to achieve trophies.  Even when you boost, you still have to meet the same requirements to unlock the trophy.  As for whether it's legitimate or not I wouldn't be so sanctimonious since in the end, what other gamers do is their business.

Hello Madbuk,

Boosting is a grey are because people think recruiting players for co-op play is boosting when it is not. Why look at troll Sergennnnnnnnnnnnnnn/Sergen-the-boss, this PSN user has listed the Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Co-Op game session as boosting, when in fact he/she is only offering to team up for co-op play not MP boosting...

Hello MMDE,

IMO, multiplayer boosting for the purpose of cheating the trophy system is a form of cheating, since gamers are cheating the trophy system. They are obviously not legitimately earning the trophies...

Hello ProfBamBam,

I will have to agree to disagree. Please read my original post for the obvious definition of video game boosting. Your urban dictionary definition is clearly referencing "leaderboard boosting". Leaderboard boosting can be done in several different ways. One of those being colluding with your opponents or enemies in match play. Another involves the use of cheats. Cheats of course being video game handicaps. Sometimes provided in game by the devs however most times achieved by a hacker, hacking the software and inputting a "cheat" code in the code section of the software.

Hello DaivRules, You said " Oh and I am still going to refer to co-op as boosting". Being small minded and ignorant is completely your prerogative.

P.S. Just because there is whole community of you ignorant small minded gamers patting each other on the back, does not legitimize your ignorance.

Hello WinterHitman,

You say "MP trophies suck so I will boost them. They do not deserve the respect of earning them legitimately, especially how ludicrous some MP trophies can be." The whole point of some of the MP trophies are that they are difficult, ludicrous or time consuming. The fact that you feel the need to boost MP trophies and cheat the trophy system, merits zero respect. Legitimate gamers do not condone or respect boosters as anyone at any skill level can simply boost and cheat the trophy system, it takes zero skill.

Hello GeenJay3,

Video Game Boosting is when your enemies or opponents work with you in gameplay instead of against you, like they should legitimately be doing. Co-op is team mates working together... It is no secret that there is legitimate gamers and cheaters. As a legitimate gamer I have no respect for cheaters. I started this thread to point out the obvious distinction between co-op and video game boosting as there many people who do not know the difference. Apples are apples and oranges are oranges...

hmmm......leaderboard boosting...trophy boosting...achievement boosting...no difference imo...if i was to create a gaming session i think boosting would be appropriate for all 3...i also wondered about the heart for heart situation in little big planet or bling brigade in wipeout hd...is this co-op?...possibly yes...is it boosting?....possibly yes....there is not really any formal definition that i could find for boosting so yep, just an opinion...not sure why the need to create a thread since the term is debatable at this point in time, kind of inevitably making it a grey area, and could be correct depending on our personal experiences...since the urban dictionary one is just as valid i hope to see some form of it in the op...clarification should be as unbiased as possible, no?...is there a source you are basing your definition on or just making it up from personal gaming experience and thought?...would recommend a title change if the goal was to only clarify the difference between co-op and competitive boosting and exclusively for trophies...personally I like the term carry for what i, sergen, yuri, and others do to help the community...unfortunately not an option yet in the sessions...

Edited by ProfBambam55

Hello MMDE,

IMO, multiplayer boosting for the purpose of cheating the trophy system is a form of cheating, since gamers are cheating the trophy system. They are obviously not legitimately earning the trophies...

Hello Papidadi,

IMO, multiplayer boosting is within the boundaries of what the game allows the player to do. Unless the game has some specific rules you got to agree to before playing, then I don't see how this is actually cheating, even less the trophy system. You're earning the trophy legitimately by playing the game as it allows you to do...

• Like 1

Meh, to me "boosting" is just doing something in MP [competitive or co-op] to "cheese" through the intended requirement.

If it's to revive allies x times, and you die on purpose to accomplish that... it's hardly playing co-op properly. It's boosting. But whatever, it means nothing to most people anyway.

Boosting is a grey are because people think recruiting players for co-op play is boosting when it is not. Why look at troll Sergennnnnnnnnnnnnnn/Sergen-the-boss, this PSN user has listed the Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Co-Op game session as boosting, when in fact he/she is only offering to team up for co-op play not MP boosting...

Boosting is not a grey area.

In addition, listing Sigma 2 co-op play as a 'boosting session' is 100% viable since the game is difficult to the point where you practically need someone to carry you through it and basically do the most difficult portions for you.

Hi Papidadi

I understand the difference between co-op play and boosting but you can't deny that when gamers work together in a boosting session, they are by definition 'cooperating'.  Admittedly this might not be the way developers originally intended or anticipated but it is no less valid.  This whole 'legitimate' argument is absurd.  Your choice not to boost is entirely arbitrary yet you seem to think this gives you the right to judge those who use boosting sessions.  You might have had an interesting discussion here but you claimed the moral high ground, which is something you should never do when discussing 'grey areas'. 

Edited by geenjay3

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎02 at 6:43 AM, geenjay3 said:

Hi Papidadi

I understand the difference between co-op play and boosting but you can't deny that when gamers work together in a boosting session, they are by definition 'cooperating'.  Admittedly this might not be the way developers originally intended or anticipated but it is no less valid.  This whole 'legitimate' argument is absurd.  Your choice not to boost is entirely arbitrary yet you seem to think this gives you the right to judge those who use boosting sessions.  You might have had an interesting discussion here but you claimed the moral high ground, which is something you should never do when discussing 'grey areas'. 

Hello Green Jay, I do not think you understand the difference between boosting and co-op. You state "but you can't deny that when gamers work together in a boosting session, they are by definition co-operating." Truth is said boosters are not co operating they are "colluding". Co-op is defined as team play not "colluding" with your enemies or adversaries to roll over, lay down and stay... No gray area here...

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎02 at 3:50 AM, dj_helyx said:

Boosting is not a grey area.

In addition, listing Sigma 2 co-op play as a 'boosting session' is 100% viable since the game is difficult to the point where you practically need someone to carry you through it and basically do the most difficult portions for you.

I will agree, that boosting is not a grey area for myself or anyone who is logical, reasonable or intelligent. However for many on here "Boosting" is a grey area as they are either ignorant or unaware of the truth... Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 has no multiplayer as NG3 does. Therefore you can not boost in NGS2 only co-op. You can however boost in NG3 multiplayer if you choose to "collude", with the players who should legitimately be your opposition/adversaries...

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎02 at 0:06 AM, MMDE said:

Hello Papidadi,

IMO, multiplayer boosting is within the boundaries of what the game allows the player to do. Unless the game has some specific rules you got to agree to before playing, then I don't see how this is actually cheating, even less the trophy system. You're earning the trophy legitimately by playing the game as it allows you to do...

Hello, I must disagree with you here. You said "you're earning the trophy legitimately by playing the game as is allows you to do...". There is nothing legitimate about colluding with your opponents and having them roll over, lay down and stay. Match fixing is not "legitimate/authentic play" and without a doubt, not worthy of any respect or admiration..There is nothing legitimate about boosting multiplayer trophies/multiplayer leaderboards etc... 

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎01 at 5:36 PM, ProfBambam55 said:

hmmm......leaderboard boosting...trophy boosting...achievement boosting...no difference imo...if i was to create a gaming session i think boosting would be appropriate for all 3...i also wondered about the heart for heart situation in little big planet or bling brigade in wipeout hd...is this co-op?...possibly yes...is it boosting?....possibly yes....there is not really any formal definition that i could find for boosting so yep, just an opinion...not sure why the need to create a thread since the term is debatable at this point in time, kind of inevitably making it a grey area, and could be correct depending on our personal experiences...since the urban dictionary one is just as valid i hope to see some form of it in the op...clarification should be as unbiased as possible, no?...is there a source you are basing your definition on or just making it up from personal gaming experience and thought?...would recommend a title change if the goal was to only clarify the difference between co-op and competitive boosting and exclusively for trophies...personally I like the term carry for what i, sergen, yuri, and others do to help the community...unfortunately not an option yet in the sessions...

Hello ProfBambam55, I agree, leaderboard/trophy/achievement boosting all require the said group to collude and are, ... boosting. IMO the urban dictionary is a website. As such there are also websites on the internet that state certain things did not happen in WW2 and are just propaganda . Just because information is on a website this does not validate the information. You asked "is there a source you are basing your definition on or just making it up from personal gaming experience and thought?" Just using common sense, intelligence, reasoning, and logic. If you own an "official" dictionary I suggest you look up the definitions for the words colluding and co-operatively you should be able to see and distinguish a clear and cut difference. I think we can at least both agree, that co-op video game play and trophy boosting/leaderboard boosting are different and not the same, no? You know what are options in the game sessions section of this website right Prof? Co-op and boosting. Clearly not the same... 

36 minutes ago, Papidadi said:

Hello, I must disagree with you here. You said "you're earning the trophy legitimately by playing the game as is allows you to do...". There is nothing legitimate about colluding with your opponents and having them roll over, lay down and stay. Match fixing is not "legitimate/authentic play" and without a doubt, not worthy of any respect or admiration..There is nothing legitimate about boosting multiplayer trophies/multiplayer leaderboards etc... 

Hello sir,

unless it's in the rules of the game that you don't do x, y and z, then doing x, y and z is not illegitimate. x, y and z is usually defined in terms of what is allowed in the game, not as much by what is not allowed. Are you playing the game as you normally would if you were trying to accomplish the normal goals of the game? Probably not, but that doesn't mean you're cheating. You look at it as match fixing, but it's more about helping each other accomplish another goal in the game. A case where it might be considered cheating is if it's done to fix the result of some other kind of competition.

• Like 2