Video Game "Boosting" explained :

Papidadi

On 10/18/2017 at 11:40 PM, Papidadi said:

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 has no multiplayer as NG3 does. Therefore you can not boost in NGS2 only co-op.

"Boosting" is used loosely during co-op sessions where the other player(s) carry you through the game and/or give you items that meet trophy requirements.

If you join my Demon's Souls world for cooperative play, and I give you every weapon and ring, you'd get a stack of trophies just for standing there. If you don't consider that, or other similar practices as "boosting" simply because they weren't in a competitive game mode, then we're just not on the same page.

Want a buncha XP on Diablo 3? Join my game and get to the maximum level within minutes, and be Paragon level 300+. Again, co-op, but also boosting.

As pointed out above, simply helping your fellow gamer through non-conventional in-game practices isn't a gaming sin.

• Like 2

MP trophies are a pain, so I have no shame in boosting :3 Actually the only multiplayer gaming I've done on Playstation has been boosting trophies, I mostly play singleplayer games

If anything LOCAL multiplayer can be more of a pain than online since you'll need to use 2 controllers at a time if you don't have anyone nearby to play with, while for online... at least there's usually boosting

Edited by Zanreo

On 10/18/2017 at 10:51 PM, Papidadi said:

Hello, I must disagree with you here. You said "you're earning the trophy legitimately by playing the game as is allows you to do...". There is nothing legitimate about colluding with your opponents and having them roll over, lay down and stay. Match fixing is not "legitimate/authentic play" and without a doubt, not worthy of any respect or admiration..There is nothing legitimate about boosting multiplayer trophies/multiplayer leaderboards etc... 

You seem to be conflating "ethically sound" with "legally defined", and calling this "legitimate/authentic".

The rule is simple: you have every right to wag your finger at boosters, and participate in online MP however you choose. However, unless there are specific terms that disallow boosting (and there are such games that have this), it will still be a perfectly legal form of gameplay.

I wish national government could figure this out.

7 hours ago, dj_helyx said:

If you join my Demon's Souls world for cooperative play, and I give you every weapon and ring, you'd get a stack of trophies just for standing there. If you don't consider that, or other similar practices as "boosting" simply because they weren't in a competitive game mode, then we're just not on the same page.

Want a buncha XP on Diablo 3? Join my game and get to the maximum level within minutes, and be Paragon level 300+. Again, co-op, but also boosting.

Agreed. The idea that co-op, by its definition, cannot be considered "boosting", is ludicrous.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎27 at 0:41 AM, dj_helyx said:

"Boosting" is used loosely during co-op sessions where the other player(s) carry you through the game and/or give you items that meet trophy requirements.

As pointed out above, simply helping your fellow gamer through non-conventional in-game practices isn't a gaming sin.

Hello Dj_helyx, 

Please read my original post. To re-iterate : Video game "boosting"  is when your enemies or opponents work with you (colluding/match fixing) instead of against you as they are supposed to be.

Video game Co-op is team play and not boosting as your aim is to "team" up.

Hello Star Crunch061, Not sure what you are talking about with "legal" being applied to video games...lol I am talking about legitimate/authentic video game play, which boosting is not. 

Video game "Co-op" play is not boosting as you are merely "teaming" up. No match fixing/colluding to cheat the trophy system...

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎19 at 0:36 AM, MMDE said:

Hello sir,

unless it's in the rules of the game that you don't do x, y and z, then doing x, y and z is not illegitimate. x, y and z is usually defined in terms of what is allowed in the game, not as much by what is not allowed. Are you playing the game as you normally would if you were trying to accomplish the normal goals of the game? Probably not, but that doesn't mean you're cheating. You look at it as match fixing, but it's more about helping each other accomplish another goal in the game. A case where it might be considered cheating is if it's done to fix the result of some other kind of competition.

Hello MMDE,  You said : "You look at it as match fixing, but it's more about helping each other accomplish another goal in the game". If you are colluding and match fixing instead of playing the game legitimately then yes, it is called "Boosting" as it is not authentic and legitimate game play. Ruins the leaderboard and gameplay for any legitimate gamer in the lobby. 

3 hours ago, Papidadi said:

Hello MMDE,  You said : "You look at it as match fixing, but it's more about helping each other accomplish another goal in the game". If you are colluding and match fixing instead of playing the game legitimately then yes, it is called "Boosting" as it is not authentic and legitimate game play. Ruins the leaderboard and gameplay for any legitimate gamer in the lobby. 

Hello sir,

but it is not playing the game illegitimate when there's no rules or regulations against it.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 4:11 AM, Papidadi said:

it is called "Boosting" as it is not authentic and legitimate game play. Ruins the leaderboard and gameplay for any legitimate gamer in the lobby. 

False.

Boosters are in the multiplayer session specifically to get trophy stipulations completed, and hardly ever stick around afterwards, unless it's to 'help a friend' which usually means being a corpse after each spawn.

None of this will affect the actual leaderboard(s), because the people at the top are already either really REALLY good or they're also cheaters.

• 3 months later...
On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎06 at 0:02 AM, dj_helyx said:

False.

Boosters are in the multiplayer session specifically to get trophy stipulations completed, and hardly ever stick around afterwards, unless it's to 'help a friend' which usually means being a corpse after each spawn.

None of this will affect the actual leaderboard(s), because the people at the top are already either really REALLY good or they're also cheaters.

Hello DJ_Helyx, What about the legitimate gamers in the public lobby where there is multiplayer trophy boosting occurring ? Would that affect their leaderboard stats?

Also multiplayer leaderboards are extremely easy to manipulate through cheating(modding/hacking) others and leaderboard "boosting". I personally have encountered countless C.F.C. leaderboard boosters/cheaters(modders/hackers) in public lobbies in several different games throughout the years. Spawn killing their buddies or their own idle multiple accounts for the sole purpose of increasing their leaderboard statistics in a pathetic attempt to fraudulently represent themselves with "boosted" stats,truly pathetic...

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎04 at 7:35 AM, MMDE said:

Hello sir,

but it is not playing the game illegitimate when there's no rules or regulations against it.

Hello MMDE, Most games have an honor code or unwritten rules... For example do not betray your team, help your team to win, do not aid the enemy team, etc.  I equate multiplayer trophy boosting to leaderboard boosting = Dishonorable.  Boosting multiplayer trophies in essence, is a cheating of the honor system, the trophy system and yourself...

Edited by Papidadi
Merging messages

18 hours ago, Papidadi said:

What about the legitimate gamers in the public lobby where there is multiplayer trophy boosting occurring ? Would that affect their leaderboard stats?

Not likely, since it's pretty difficult to boost in a lobby with people who're actually playing they game.

On 10/26/2017 at 11:41 PM, dj_helyx said:

Having just come back to Diablo 3, and being bored out of my mind, can I take you up on this? ?

On 1/4/2018 at 3:11 AM, Papidadi said:

it is called "Boosting" as it is not authentic and legitimate game play. 

Really? I always figured that the name "boosting" came from the chance that it boosted your opportunities to gain stats for trophies.

I can agree that boosting is not authentic gameplay, but unless it specifically breaks rules of the game, it's certainly legitimate (and there are games that have declared that boosting will be punished accordingly).

• Like 1

On 11/30/2016 at 0:17 AM, WinterHitman said:

Multiplayer trophies suck so I will boost them. They do not deserve the respect of earning them legitimately, especially with how ludicrous some MP trophies can be. 

My biggest gripe with multiplayer trophies is always the risk running that servers will close, thus making those trophies impossible to ever get again. Boosting is great because of this fact.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎02 at 3:50 AM, dj_helyx said:

Boosting is not a grey area.

In addition, listing Sigma 2 co-op play as a 'boosting session' is 100% viable since the game is difficult to the point where you practically need someone to carry you through it and basically do the most difficult portions for you.

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎27 at 0:41 AM, dj_helyx said:

Hello, F.Y.I. Listing NGS2 co op sessions as boosting is ignorant and wrong. Co op play is co op play not boosting. You are merely helping your team. Secondly what you are describing in Demon's Souls is simply sharing your items with a team mate in co op play. It is 100% not boosting. To re-iterate co op play is never boosting...

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎17 at 10:24 AM, starcrunch061 said:

Having just come back to Diablo 3, and being bored out of my mind, can I take you up on this? ?

Really? I always figured that the name "boosting" came from the chance that it boosted your opportunities to gain stats for trophies.

I can agree that boosting is not authentic gameplay, but unless it specifically breaks rules of the game, it's certainly legitimate (and there are games that have declared that boosting will be punished accordingly).

Hello Starcrunch061, Well officially there are no in game rules against hacking PSN software and manually unlocking all the trophies without actually earning them. So boosting is about as "legitimate" as that... 

4 minutes ago, Papidadi said:

Hello, F.Y.I. Listing NGS2 co op sessions as boosting is ignorant and wrong. Co op play is co op play not boosting. You are merely helping your team. Secondly what you are describing in Demon's Souls is simply sharing your items with a team mate in co op play. It is 100% not boosting. To re-iterate co op play is never boosting...

Hello Starcrunch061, Well officially there are no in game rules against hacking PSN software and manually unlocking all the trophies without actually earning them. So boosting is about as "legitimate" as that... 

I disagree, if I joined a ninja gaiden sigma 2 session where the other guy does all the work while I twirl with Rachel, that's not coop to me, that is boosting plain and simple.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Papidadi said:

Listing NGS2 co op sessions as boosting is ignorant and wrong. Co op play is co op play not boosting. You are merely helping your team. Secondly what you are describing in Demon's Souls is simply sharing your items with a team mate in co op play. It is 100% not boosting. To re-iterate co op play is never boosting...

I guess I'll just be ignorant then.

• 5 months later...

Interesting topic. In my opinion boosting is to be considered as a form of cheating cause one is not actually meeting the requirements of the trophies for various reasons. The majority of trophy hunters just care about having a high completion %/ earning all trophies without even challenging themselves in most cases. A platinum trophy should be regarded as an achievement earned through skills and effort. If one boosted to earn it then where's the value in that trophy? I think that most players forget that if you can't earn a trophy properly then you're probably not suitable to earn the platinum in my opinion. Some of you may say that boosting requires organization and yes, that's true but you're still "cheating".

By the way, I used to be a booster as well so I understand what most of you say about boosting and I'm not condemning it. Nonetheless, I have to say that Papidadi is very right.

23 minutes ago, Major Rain said:

Interesting topic. In my opinion boosting is to be considered as a form of cheating cause one is not actually meeting the requirements of the trophies for various reasons.

How is the boosting not meeting the requirements of the trophies? The trophy description says "Kill 200 players", not "Kill 200 players who are actively trying to avoid being killed."

If the requirements aren't being met, then why do the trophies pop?

5 minutes ago, mekktor said:

How is the boosting not meeting the requirements of the trophies? The trophy description says "Kill 200 players", not "Kill 200 players who are actively trying to avoid being killed."

If the requirements aren't being met, then why do the trophies pop?

Yeah I didn't make myself clear. You are meeting the requirements, but you are not doing it the way it was meant to be so you are "cheating" so to say. 

25 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Why is this thread still existing?

It's always worth it to me to read that "co-op is never boosting". It's great to know that my sitting in the corner, while highly-leveled friends carried my characters to level 70 in Diablo 3 is perfectly fine play.

27 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Anyway, boosting should not be considered cheating... the only game that probably punished you for boosting was Killzone 2 (when Sony cared about it)

I heard that Warhawk did for a time as well. Which is fine - if the people own the servers, they call the shots.

Well, when you think about it, nowhere in those trophies that people boost specify in what manner they should be earned. "Kill 50 people in a multiplayer match" could mean either "Kill 50 players in multiplayer matches as they are activate trying to kill you in honest attempt to earn points" or "Kill 50 people in a multiplayer match as they approach you with no intention of killing you in a brokered deal to make it as easy as possible for you to earn kills."

• 3 weeks later...

Boosting is gaining trophies in a way they were not originally intended to be earned.

But trying to play legitimate in most older PS3 games that have online trophies is so inefficient and slow it is x1000 faster to get a friend, a group of friends or a group of other people also boosting the trophies to help you out.

Classifying boosting as outright cheating is no better than saying somebody is cheating for using an exploit in a game that the developers never bothered to patch out.

So most of us trophy hunters if not everyone here has boosted or used an exploit. In a sense, we did "cheat" to earn some trophies.