The Story (Disappointing or what?)

Alvaro-M27

On 14/12/2016 at 3:25 PM, DEMON said:

If you rush through the last chapters yea. But I found it the opposite.

How can one NOT rush through the last chapters? Personally I spent quite some time in the first area (50 hours?) doing boring sidequests and hunts. And I refused to go fishing as much as I could. I waited even too long to go to Altissia. Which was fantastic (literally. I come from near Venice and I can assure Venice is quite different :D) but there was little to do.So I kept going on hoping to get into another continent with plenty of stuff to do. And such has not been the case. At that point the only idea to go back just annoyed me. The game pushed me to go forward and it ended in few hours.

If anything I am not disappointed with the story, which has been powerful (a bit too much fo my taste). I just don't like how the game is organised. I enjoyed much more FF XIII taking me through the story while running (and fighting!) in the corridor and then opening up with things to do and plenty of different areas to go. FF XV world to me is just.. flat.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Michelasso said:

How can one NOT rush through the last chapters? Personally I spent quite some time in the first area (50 hours?) doing boring sidequests and hunts. And I refused to go fishing as much as I could. I waited even too long to go to Altissia. Which was fantastic (literally. I come from near Venice and I can assure Venice is quite different :D) but there was little to do.So I kept going on hoping to get into another continent with plenty of stuff to do. And such has not been the case. At that point the only idea to go back just annoyed me. The game pushed me to go forward and it ended in few hours.

If anything I am not disappointed with the story, which has been powerful (a bit too much fo my taste). I just don't like how the game is organised. I enjoyed much more FF XIII taking me through the story while running (and fighting!) in the corridor and then opening up with things to do and plenty of different areas to go. FF XV world to me is just.. flat.

Of course it's feels like you rushed through those when you compare it to the early game (which SE said months in advance to the release that the game will go linear when the story picks up). But trust me on this, there was a lot of extra lore etc to be read and seen in those chapters. A lot of this lore covers a lot of plot holes that people keep going on about. I will admit, there is a good few plot holes in the game but I feel as if these will be later covered by the episode DLCs, we know we are getting these so why is there so much complaining?

I easily spent 3 hours in Chapter 13 alone as I had to go through all the different paths to make sure I read and seen everything that was there. You find out a lot about the creation of the daemons and Magitek there if you don't rush it.

The execution of the story is poor, feels vanilla cut at times. Beneath it, is a great story and characters which struggled to be told but. . .idk it's like something went wrong during development. This is a failure on the producer's part too.

The open world is an 6/10 and the combat is 7.5/10. I was looking forward to exploring more of Tenebrae and maybe Niflheim's territory. Altissia was great, just pure awesome and wonder. Side quests is a 4/10. They should have been more immersive, fleshed out and better written.

Despite FFXV's story-telling shortcomings, I think Ardyn is my favorite FF villain.

Edited by Eraezr
add more words

I don't think we should have to depend in dlc's to comprehend the whole story... it's like a movie or a book... you tell a good story, with body, head, and members or you don't! You shouldn't have to wait for dlc's... you paid a lot and should have a decent story... 

I mean i don't want to wait for a dlc to understand why revus had a change of heart... or to show me de gap between his "attack" on noctis to show up dead... i don't want to wait for a dlc to tell me where the goals of the empire stood when noctis went for a nap and ardyn went all "king of darkness"... Dlc's are supposed  to satisfy our curiosity... to add some information, that are not relevant, but funny to know... not to fill de gaps of the main game... that's just bad story telling... Same would apply for notes founded in the game... the are supposed to elaborate the background, the cenarios, the story previous to the game... not to tell parts of the in-game story that was just not told because someone decided not... that's just lazy...

I understand they invested a lot in the whole "open world thing"... i like that, but in detriment of the story? I mean, Uncharted, Tomb raider... linear games, and great... Was ot impossible to find a balance: like Dragon Age...i found the story pretty good, the dlc are what supposed to be: interesting but not indispensable for the story, and we have opne world enough and plenty stuff to do...

• Like 2

@Alvaro-M27 You said you haven't played the game correct? Of course you're going to be seeing things out of context.

I'll just point out now that most of Ravus' story and how he ends up dead all of a sudden was explained. If you listen to the radios around Eos every now and again; you'll hear news of his execution. You also hear he's trying to stay out of public eye around the start.. probably because of his arm.

Also, Ardyn being "King of Darkness" was explained. He tells you himself what he did in the past and continues to do.

I don't mind this game getting extra support. I think it's great honestly that it is and that it's even getting story updates in the future. How often does Square Enix ever do that for FFs? Usually they remain ignorant about it but it looks like they have changed.

• Like 1

On 17/12/2016 at 4:03 PM, DEMON said:

Of course it's feels like you rushed through those when you compare it to the early game (which SE said months in advance to the release that the game will go linear when the story picks up). But trust me on this, there was a lot of extra lore etc to be read and seen in those chapters. A lot of this lore covers a lot of plot holes that people keep going on about. I will admit, there is a good few plot holes in the game but I feel as if these will be later covered by the episode DLCs, we know we are getting these so why is there so much complaining?

I easily spent 3 hours in Chapter 13 alone as I had to go through all the different paths to make sure I read and seen everything that was there. You find out a lot about the creation of the daemons and Magitek there if you don't rush it.

Well, I am one of those guys that checks every corner in a game. So yeah, I "painted" every map, chap. 13 (is the one in the lab looking for Prompto?) included I suppose. And yes, in that place there was plenty of lore, but it was also hidden. I've found a couple of messages "by mistake", while turning back. I think it would be time for SE to stop mimic From Software and do things like they used to be special for. Like tell the story for what it is, with plenty of cutscenes explaining everything.

They should also stop this time travel drivel, I am quite sick of it. Time travelling is a serious matter, and even assuming it is possible it doesn't work in the way they made it in the last games (FFXIII-2, WoFF, FF XV to be specific). Unless they use the infinite Universes paradigm, but at that point I can't care less because I am living the story in here, I can;t care less about what happens in a parallel world. Harry Potter has got it right.

Still, said that, as I wrote I didn't really have major issues with the story. As I didn't know the game flow was  implemented as such. I stopped reading news about FF XV months ago to avoid spoilers! Let's say that to me both the story and game play (not counting the repetitive boring quests where one spends more time loading the game or driving/riding than actually doing the job) felt a bit too much on the short side. After 10 years I expected much more. I am just a bit disappointed in general. But.. hey! That doesn't mean that I consider FFXV a bad game. It is good. It just could be better.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Michelasso said:

Well, I am one of those guys that checks every corner in a game. So yeah, I "painted" every map, chap. 13 (is the one in the lab looking for Prompto?) included I suppose. And yes, in that place there was plenty of lore, but it was also hidden. I've found a couple of messages "by mistake", while turning back. I think it would be time for SE to stop mimic From Software and do things like they used to be special for. Like tell the story for what it is, with plenty of cutscenes explaining everything.

They should also stop this time travel drivel, I am quite sick of it. Time travelling is a serious matter, and even assuming it is possible it doesn't work in the way they made it in the last games (FFXIII-2, WoFF, FF XV to be specific). Unless they use the infinite Universes paradigm, but at that point I can't care less because I am living the story in here, I can;t care less about what happens in a parallel world. Harry Potter has got it right.

Still, said that, as I wrote I didn't really have major issues with the story. As I didn't know the game flow was  implemented as such. I stopped reading news about FF XV months ago to avoid spoilers! Let's say that to me both the story and game play (not counting the repetitive boring quests where one spends more time loading the game or driving/riding than actually doing the job) felt a bit too much on the short side. After 10 years I expected much more. I am just a bit disappointed in general. But.. hey! That doesn't mean that I consider FFXV a bad game. It is good. It just could be better.

Mimicing? Square has been doing this with their games for years now. Like in FFVII, that is the most overrated FF ever that everyone loves. There is lots of plot points hidden away in that. Hell, even extra characters are hidden (one of them being very important to the plot).

The only time there was any time travel in FFXV was when Ardyn was tricking Noctis.. I really want to know how he did that.. I expect it would be explained in Prompto's episode though. Umbra can time travel but that's only really for the player's benefit.

What were you expecting? Every game is short really. Expecting it to be like a 100+ hour story is just asking to be disappointed. But I agree, some things could have been done better.. like giving Ravus actual cutscenes rather than doing his story through radio stations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sephiroth4424 said:

Little more specific? Are you talking about the Zack scene in disc 3? And what about Vincent and Lucrecia? 

Yeah when cloud gets his memories back and it shows the full flashback, as for lucrecia, the plot point of her being the mother of sephiroth when you talk to the crystal multiple times in the cave

15 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Yeah when cloud gets his memories back and it shows the full flashback, as for lucrecia, the plot point of her being the mother of sephiroth when you talk to the crystal multiple times in the cave

Cloud gets his memories back and it shows how they escaped and get to Midgar (well not Zack).Lucrecia is Sephiroth's mother and Vincent knows that.He didn't know Hojo is the father.What is the plot point?

23 minutes ago, sephiroth4424 said:

Cloud gets his memories back and it shows how they escaped and get to Midgar (well not Zack).Lucrecia is Sephiroth's mother and Vincent knows that.He didn't know Hojo is the father.What is the plot point?

The flashback showed what influenced cloud into what he became and falsely believed to be most of the game(which is a plot point, significant or insignificant, it's a plot point)the same can be said about the backstory of hojo and lucrecia which indirectly influenced sephiroths personality

I was happy with the story at the end. It could've used a lot more in terms of details, however, between the bits and pieces of lore I stumbled upon and what the main path gave me I wasn't disappointed. I'm eager to play the extra chapters later, honestly. I'm not sure why but I felt more attached to these characters than I have others in recent years.

8 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

The flashback showed what influenced cloud into what he became and falsely believed to be most of the game(which is a plot point, significant or insignificant, it's a plot point)the same can be said about the backstory of hojo and lucrecia which indirectly influenced sephiroths personality

For most of the game Cloud didn't even know about Zack.Cloud left his home to become SOLDIER.He failed.He meets Zack who made it.Hojo do experiments with MAKO to both of them (after the incident at the reactor) and Cloud's mind becomes soup.Zack dies a little before they get to Midgar.Cloud survives but with his mind messed up and traumatised he goes to Midgar and he creates a persona where he became a SOLDIER and then he quitted for unknown reasons.Where's the plot point??If that happened in a book or a movie,we'd say it's a plot twist.Also i don't see how Sephiroth's personality was influenced by Hojo's and Lucrecia's backstory.Sephiroth never met Lucrecia and he didn't know Hojo was his father.The story goes like this.Lucrecia gets pregnant by Hojo.Hojo experiments with his unborn child using J-cells.When Sephiroth is born,Hojo takes him and sends Lucrecia away.Seph reads the SHINRA reports in the Mansion and understands he was created,assuming Jenova is his real mother.I suppose you know the rest

4 hours ago, sephiroth4424 said:

For most of the game Cloud didn't even know about Zack.Cloud left his home to become SOLDIER.He failed.He meets Zack who made it.Hojo do experiments with MAKO to both of them (after the incident at the reactor) and Cloud's mind becomes soup.Zack dies a little before they get to Midgar.Cloud survives but with his mind messed up and traumatised he goes to Midgar and he creates a persona where he became a SOLDIER and then he quitted for unknown reasons.Where's the plot point??If that happened in a book or a movie,we'd say it's a plot twist.Also i don't see how Sephiroth's personality was influenced by Hojo's and Lucrecia's backstory.Sephiroth never met Lucrecia and he didn't know Hojo was his father.The story goes like this.Lucrecia gets pregnant by Hojo.Hojo experiments with his unborn child using J-cells.When Sephiroth is born,Hojo takes him and sends Lucrecia away.Seph reads the SHINRA reports in the Mansion and understands he was created,assuming Jenova is his real mother.I suppose you know the rest

Regardless of you wanting to believe it's not a plot point, it is. They even made spin-off games about the plot points to flesh them out more

3 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Regardless of you wanting to believe it's not a plot point, it is. They even made spin-off games about the plot points to flesh them out more

I don't care about the spin-offs,the sequels or the prequels.If CC or DoC created plot points to VII,that's beacuse they were poorly written.If it wasn't for VII's success the spin-off games wouldn't even exist

A friend of mines has been translating the Ultimania and they found something interesting out..

The dead bodies at the end were not illusions.. they were actually real (Ardyn has some strange power that allows him to preserve dead bodies).. and Ardyn played with them to past the time.. Ardyn you are one sick mf (still my favorite though.. I like the sick characters). Oh and he essentially just walked into the Empire and got to be Chancellor right away because apparently Iedolas is an idiot and can't run an empire.. so it was nothing to do with the fact that he strengthened the Magitek army.

Another thing about Ardyn, this wasn't in the Ultimania or so far, hasn't been translated, but a leak, his final form was going to be an extremely long fight where each section you had to use a Royal Arm in, he was essentially going to look like Neo Exdeath.. with different forms each phrase.. *sigh* what could have been.. (hopes it gets released as DLC).

Other than that though, the pages they have got from people don't really explain too much that we don't know about story except that Prompto was actually adopted by Verstael when he was 1 years old and he's from Lucis.. so the Collector's Guide got that wrong.

Edited by DEMON
  • Like 2