Super Golden Oldies: Dust Off Your Ancient Consoles Event 2017 Edition

Super Golden Oldies: Dust Off Your Ancient Consoles

2017 Edition

A counter-attack to the age of trophies and achievements

Event started, joining is still possible!

Do you find the pressure of trophies to be a burden on how much you can enjoy a game?

Do you feel like you've been neglecting your older consoles in favour of the newer ones?

Do you think that gaming has decreased in quality since you were younger?

Do you miss having to breathe into the bottom of cartridges before playing a game?

Have you tried praying to our lord and saviour Cthulhu? How about an event focussing on those older games? ... Again?

The Idea

A couple of months ago, I started an event, the idea of which has been repeated word for word below in the rest of "The Idea". This new event, the OP of which you're reading now, has been based on that other event, with some streamlined rules to allow for more participants and (hopefully) more fun.

It seems to me that in this new age of "get game, get trophies, repeat" that we're in danger of forgetting those older gaming stations we used to love. The day before creating the previous event, I had no energy to decide on what game to play out of my PlayStation backlog and I decided to just boot up my SNES, in the end I played all 50cc cups in Super Mario Kart, and I loved it.

Seeing as there seem to be more people on this site who are as nostalgic as I am towards older generation gaming, I figured we could make an event out of this, making us spend some more time with these consoles from yesteryear.

This event is not meant as a race or marathon, and the rules are kept intentionally loose. This event is meant as a way of reconnecting with the old way of gaming, and should be doable alongside PlayStation gaming (events).

What's New?

Well, for starters this event runs for a whole year, while the other event ran for just three months.

The minimum game entry has been upped from six to twelve, so instead of doing an average of two games a month, it is now one game a month. This is done to accomodate the entry of larger games that can't just be finished in one to twenty hours.

You can enter after the event has started. Wanted to allow this since the event runs for a whole year. Your minimum game entry will be equal to the number of months left in 2017, rounded up. So for instance, if you enter at any point during April effective immediately then your list has a minimum requirement of nine games, but if you announce that you will start at the first of May then the minimum will be eight games.

Big change: much morge games are now allowed. The entrants are going to be divided in the hardcore nostalgia and softcore nostalgia:

Hardcore nostalgia - only consoles (fifth generation or earlier), or handhelds (GBA or earlier) are allowed, only official cartridges and consoles are allowed.

Softcore nostalgia - All games made in or before 2005 are allowed, from any and all systems. Unofficial hardware/software is allowed. Ports/remasters are allowed. Remakes/reboots are not allowed. This includes but is not limited to playing: abandonware through a DOS emulator, GameCube games, PS2 to PS4 ports, (S)NES to Wii/3DS ports, Super Star Wars, Resident Evil, Day Of The Tentacle, The Secret Of Monkey Island... Just to name a few options.

Additionally, you don't have to pick twelve hardcore or twelve softcore nostalgia games. You can pick from both, whatever works for you as long as you have at least twelve games that fall into either category.

And yes, I know, allowing ports and HD versions kind of goes against my "anti-trophy" message, but in the first event there were just a bare few of us and I'd rather allow more and have more people than be strict and remain with just three gamers (and not even be able to join myself for future events unless I buy much more cartridges).

The Additional Rules

• The event runs through 2017, that is starting on 2017/1/1 and ending on 2017/12/31. You can use your own time zone for this.
  • There is no limit to the number of participants. If you want to join, then join! If too few people join, I might postpone or cancel the event though but we'll see how many people want in first.
  • Participants should have at least 100 posts in the forum to their name, and have been a member since 2016/11/01 or earlier. This is to filter out people who are not active in the threads and/or have just found PSNprofiles, I'd like to see all participants staying active to the end.
  • You have to have presented a starting list before the event starts, adding more games at a later date is allowed but removing games during the event is not allowed. A game you had put it on your list but don't want to play through any more will just remain on the "unplayed" pile
  • By the end of the event you should have played through at least 12 games, but this does not translate to having to have played everything on your list. This is an escape clause for games that turn out to be too hard in the end, don't want you to freak out over one game. Just add another one. Try to keep the "not completed" part of your game list to at most a third of the total list though.
  • Try to do at least one game per month. This is not a hard rule, just take it to mean that you shouldn't grind out twelve games in January and then not bother for the rest of the year. Of course you can miss a month or two and make up for it in other months, most of us will have stuff like holidays, exams, deadlines and other real life stuf happening. The rule is mostly there to have you invested in retro gaming a bit throughout most of the year, instead of totally during one month.
  • You should make regular updates in this thread. Tell us about the games you've been playing, and your opinion on them. If there's a thing as "too much talkie", I haven't seen it, and this event can be a nice way to discover cool older games because other people are playing them.
  • Have fun!

The Participants

angelgrievous (joined in May)

Spoiler

Softcore Nostalgia

Spoiler

Games played through

Games played

Neo Turf Masters - Switch

Alpha Mission II - Switch

Metal Slug 3 - Switch

Silent Hill - PSP

Silent Hill 2 - PSNOW on PS4

Mega Man 3 - PS4

Eternal Ring - PS4

Game systems on list
Switch, PSP, PS4

Games to play

BillyHorrible

Hardcore Nostalgia

Games played through

The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES) (never finished before)

Super Mario Bros. 2 (SNES) (played through a couple of times before)

Games played

Super Mario World (SNES) (played through game during last Golden Oldies, want to complete all additional levels now)

Game systems on list
Super Nintendo

Games to play
Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES) (never finished before)
Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES) (never played beyond the first few levels before)
Earthworm Jim (SNES) (never played beyond the first level before)
Jurassic Park (SNES) (played a lot but never finished before)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES) (played but never finished before)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (SNES) (played through at least once before)

Softcore Nostalgia

Games played through

Metal Slug - Metal Slug Anthology (PS4) (never played before)

Metal Slug 2 - Metal Slug Anthology (PS4) (played on arcade machine, never finished before)

Metal Slug X - Metal Slug Anthology (PS4) (never played before)

Metal Slug 3 - Metal Slug Anthology (PS4) (never played before)

Metal Slug 4 - Metal Slug Anthology (PS4) (never played before)

Metal Slug 5 - Metal Slug Anthology (PS4) (never played before)

Full Throttle Remastered (PS4) (never played this or the original before)

Shadow Of The Colossus (PS3) (never played before)

Games played

Game systems on list
PS3, PS4

Games to play
Day Of The Tentacle Remastered (PS4) (100% completed, completed on DOS before, will now play with dev commentary)
Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition (PS3) (never completely played through any version before)

ICO (PS3) (never played)

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter (PS4) (never played beyond the first few minutes before)
Super Star Wars (PS4) (100%ed and played through on SNES a few times as well)

Kubanga

Hardcore Nostalgia

Games played through

Games played

Game systems on list
NES

Games to play
Burger Time (NES)
Duck Hunt (NES)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)

Softcore Nostalgia

Games played through

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PS2)

Games played

Game systems on list
PS2, PS3, PS4

Games to play
Call of Duty: the Big Red One (PS2)
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS4)
Hitman: Contracts (PS3)
Medal of Honor: Frontline (PS3)
Motocross M3 (PS2)
NFL 2K3 (PS2)
Red Faction (PS2)
Sonic Mega Collection (PS2)

SyIaris

Hardcore Nostalgia

Hide contents

Games played through

Golden Sun (GBA) (replay)

Games played

Game systems on list
GBA / Game Boy Advance

Games to play

Softcore Nostalgia

Games played through

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PS1 -> PS3) (never played)

Twisted Metal (PS1 -> PS3) (never played)

Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PC -> PS4) (never played)

Games played

-

Game systems on list

Nintendo: DS, 3DS, Wii

Playstation: 3, 4

Games to play

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits (PS2 -> PS4) (never played)

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1 -> PS3) (never played)

Chrono Trigger (SNES -> DS) (Played up to Frog 15+ years ago, minor playtime when DS version came out)

Jak 3 (PS2 -> PS3) (never played)

Katamari Damacy (PS2 -> PS3) (never played)

Kirby Super Star (SNES -> Wii) (never played)

Mario Party 2 (N64 -> Wii) (never played)

Pokemon Puzzle League (N64 -> Wii) (never played)

Secret of Mana (SNES -> Wii) (minor playtime 10+ years ago)

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC -> 3DS) (never finished)

Z1MZUM

Spoiler

Hardcore Nostalgia

Spoiler

Games played through
Body Harvest (N64)

Games played

Game systems on list
Nintendo 64

Games to play
Shadowman (N64)
Hybrid Heaven (N64)
Star Wars Shadow of the Empire (N64)

Ogre Battle 64 (N64)

Quest 64 (N64)

Softcore Nostalgia

Spoiler

Games played through
Shin Megami Tensei  (Sfc/snes)

Games played

Game systems on list
PS3, Super Famicom with SD2SNES cartridge

Games to play
Silent Hill 2 HD (Ps3)

Silent Hill 3 HD (Ps3)

Duke Nukem 3D Megaton edition (Ps3)

Shin Megami Tensei 2  (Sfc/snes)

Dark Half (Sfc/snes)

Edited by BillyHorrible
updates
  • Like 3

Well, I don't have that many posts and I doubt I will (at least not for the deadline stated) and I'm certainly not a daily user of internet, but I just want to say that I love you idea (and why not, also add one more post to my account :lol:)

But seriously, I think it's a great thing to do. I'm 31 and I love old gen games. I meet with a couple friends once a month and we play FAMICOM and SEGA GENESIS games. A couple weeks ago we started (and finish  B)) TMNT & the Hyperstone Heist (SEGA) and we really enjoyed it. It's only fair to say that it is not a rather long gameplay :P. Too bad it doesn't have a 4-players system though  -_-

I've played Earthworm Jim, The Lion King and Super Mario Bros. 3 (from your list) and all three are quite fun to play, so it's a good thing to see them added there.

Congrats for the original idea!! Keep on playing and have fun!!  :wave:

Well, I don't have that many posts and I doubt I will (at least not for the deadline stated) and I'm certainly not a daily user of internet, but I just want to say that I love you idea (and why not, also add one more post to my account :lol:)

But seriously, I think it's a great thing to do. I'm 31 and I love old gen games. I meet with a couple friends once a month and we play FAMICOM and SEGA GENESIS games. A couple weeks ago we started (and finish  B)) TMNT & the Hyperstone Heist (SEGA) and we really enjoyed it. It's only fair to say that it is not a rather long gameplay :P. Too bad it doesn't have a 4-players system though  -_-

I've played Earthworm Jim, The Lion King and Super Mario Bros. 3 (from your list) and all three are quite fun to play, so it's a good thing to see them added there.

Congrats for the original idea!! Keep on playing and have fun!!  :wave: 

It's only about fifteen posts per week... :)

You don't need to update daily here so if you really want to join, we can work something out. I started on 100 post minimum in the last thread and eventually dropped to 50 for someone. Though it has to be said that that someone ended up posting zero updates... What's most important to me is that IF you join, you're in it for the long run.

• Like 1

Looks much more flexible, thank you!

SyIaris

Softcore Nostalgia

Games played through

-

Games played

-

Game systems on list

Nintendo: DS, 3DS, Wii

Playstation: 3, 4

Games to play

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits (PS2 -> PS4 :hidden:) (never played)

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1 -> PS3) (never played)

Chrono Trigger (SNES -> DS) (Played up to Frog 15+ years ago, minor playtime when DS version came out)

Jak 3 (PS2 -> PS3 :hidden:) (never played)

Katamari Damacy (PS2 -> PS3) (never played)

Kirby Super Star (SNES -> Wii) (never played)

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PS1 -> PS3)

Mario Party 2 (N64 -> Wii) (never played)

Pokemon Puzzle League (N64 -> Wii) (never played)

Secret of Mana (SNES -> Wii) (minor playtime 10+ years ago)

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC -> 3DS) (never finished)

Twisted Metal (PS1 -> PS3) (never played)

Let me know if I misunderstood anything; everything was released in the US before 2005.

Tried for a fair amount of variety. So hard not to just load it up with RPGs, but I'd probably drive myself batty trying to play that many in a row. -_-

edit: I was below the post requirement too. :)

Edited by SyIaris
  • Like 1

Let me know if I misunderstood anything; everything was released in the US before 2005.

Haven't checked the release dates for your games but it looks fine, and since you're on softcore the only two things to really take note of are the release dates and there being at least twelve games on your list.

On my phone now, I'll add you tomorrow.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Haven't checked the release dates for your games but it looks fine, and since you're on softcore the only two things to really take note of are the release dates and there being at least twelve games on your list.

On my phone now, I'll add you tomorrow.

Sure, no rush whatsoever. It's 12 unless I spaced out and didn't write one down...

NA release dates from howlongtobeat, if you want them:

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits :hidden:

PS2, 2003

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

PS1, 1997

Chrono Trigger

SNES, 1995

Jak 3 :hidden:

PS2, 2004

Katamari Damacy

PS2, 2004

Kirby Super Star

SNES, 1996

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile

PS1, 1998

Mario Party 2

N64, 2000

Pokemon Puzzle League

N64, 2000

Secret of Mana

SNES, 1993

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

GBC, 2001

Twisted Metal

PS1, 1995

Was making sure I didn't add some 200+ hour monster. :P

Sure, no rush whatsoever. It's 12 unless I spaced out and didn't write one down...

NA release dates from howlongtobeat, if you want them:

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits :hidden:

PS2, 2003

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

PS1, 1997

Chrono Trigger

SNES, 1995

Jak 3 :hidden:

PS2, 2004

Katamari Damacy

PS2, 2004

Kirby Super Star

SNES, 1996

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile

PS1, 1998

Mario Party 2

N64, 2000

Pokemon Puzzle League

N64, 2000

Secret of Mana

SNES, 1993

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

GBC, 2001

Twisted Metal

PS1, 1995

Was making sure I didn't add some 200+ hour monster. :P

I would've believed you regardless, don't worry :)

And yeah I use howlongtobeat from time to time myself, mostly when I try to find out if something can be played in one sitting.

Added Super Star Wars (the PS4 port) to my list, really want to play through that one again (blame Rogue One for making me nostalgic). Meaning I'm on 15 games now (and DKC1 from the previous event will probably be added as well), I don't know yet if I'm going to eliminate a few games just before the event so I'm on twelve again. Might be better to start with twelve and add to it as we go along.

Im getting a ps2 this week with a few games so I'm in on this. Softcore: Call of Duty: the Big Red One (2005), NFL 2K3 (2002), Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2005) Sonic Mega Collection (5 games and was made in 2002), Red Faction (2001) and Motocross M3 (2005). I also have GTA San Andreas for the PS4, Medal of Honor: Frontline for PS3 and Hitman Contracts for PS3 I have 3 games for Hardcore as well from the NES: Burger Time, Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros 3.

Edited by Kubanga

Im getting a ps2 this week with a few games so I'm in on this. Softcore: Call of Duty: the Big Red One (2005), NFL 2K3 (2002), Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2005) Sonic Mega Collection (5 games and was made in 2002), Red Faction (2001) and Motocross M3 (2005). I also have GTA San Andreas for the PS4, Medal of Honor: Frontline for PS3 and Hitman Contracts for PS3 I have 3 games for Hardcore as well from the NES: Burger Time, Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros 3.

Welcome! Added you to the OP, let me know if I made any mistakes.

Also, I added links for everyone's trophy games.

• 2 weeks later...

I added stuff about people being able to enter once the event has started, figured that should be possible seeing as we're going to go on for a whole year.

I have also cut my list back to twelve games (was on sixteen just before). The BBB event and the previous Golden Oldies event have made me realise that it isn't really a good idea for me to start with a list that's already way too long.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of days left to enter for the first month... I'm excited about this, can't wait to start even though there's not that many of us right now. Going to play my final game for the first event on Thursday or Friday, don't know which yet but I doubt it's DKC2 so I'll move that one to this event.

The event has now officially started, good luck to all!

We're starting out with just three gamers but SyIaris has steadily been updating in the last event and since Kubanga has played through a whole game already, I have a good feeling about this group.

Talking about softcore nostalgia, I'm probably buying Psychonauts and Metal Slug Anthology in the current sale. If I end up buying them, I'll use them in this event as well - Psychonauts has been released in 2005, and the Metal Slug series runs from 1996 with Metal Slug 1 to 2003 with Metal Slug 5 (with Metal Slug 6 being disqualified because it was released in 2006). Of these games, I only ever played Metal Slug 2 before (on an actual arcade machine). And yes, each Metal Slug counts as a separate title so if people want to play all those games, they'd be halfway through a list for this event already!

I've also obtained Õkami HD for PS3, which has been released in 2006 so it's disqualified as well. I could hold on to it for 2018's event :D but I've never played the game before and I really wanted to play it for a while so I don't think I'll wait. I'm probably keeping it for the March KYC event though.

If anyone feels like having more nostalgia games, lots of old games are on sale now and I'd advise downloading The Day Of The Tentacle next month when it enters PS+. I bought it immediately when it was released last year and I have not regretted it, it's probably after two decades still my favourite point and click adventure - I've actuallly got replaying it with dev commentary as one of my games on this event's list.

Edited by BillyHorrible
Õkami

On 12/30/2016 at 0:33 AM, BillyHorrible said:

Nicely done! I've updated the OP.

What did you think of Battlefront 2, was it the first time you played through it?

Na I've played it through a few times. One of my favorite games of all time. I enjoy going back to games like that.

Played through my first game for this event: the first Metal Slug game.

Update:

L8ebf3a.png

Played the first Metal Slug game. Man, is this more difficult than I thought it would be... Ended up completing it with 21 continues though I made a few boo-boos here and there.

First thing I noticed when I started it up was that it's actually a basic PS2 port and not really a new PS4 port. Shame... Nontheless it looks fairly decent. Seeing as I now only played the first game and I already enjoyed it, I will probably really enjoy the later games where the devs figured out what did and did not work.

Music is a basic one for over twenty years ago, I think it's fitting but my wife can't stand it, especially combined with the gun sounds and the enemies screaming. I've put the graphics on scanline and it's got really nice classic graphics, pulls me right back into the arcade memories.

All in all, I think I'm really going to enjoy this Anthology series. I think this is the first time I actually sat through a complete Metal Slug game, and I can hardly wait to play another one.

Stats:

Spoiler

Hardcore Nostalgia

Hide contents

Games played through

Games played

Game systems on list
Super Nintendo

Games to play
Super Mario Bros. 3 (SNES) (played through a couple of times before)
Super Mario World (SNES) (played through game during last Golden Oldies, want to complete all additional levels now)

Softcore Nostalgia

Hide contents

Games played through

Games played

Game systems on list
PS3, PS4

Games to play
Day Of The Tentacle Remastered (PS4) (100% completed, completed on DOS before, will now play with dev commentary)
Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition (PS3) (never completely played through any version before)
Full Throttle Remastered (PS4) (should be released Q1 2017, never played before)
Star Wars: Bounty Hunter (PS4) (never played beyond the first few minutes before)

Well, I keep on playing Metal Slug so my list of played through games will steadily grow this first month :D

Remember people, the Metal Slug Anthology is still on sale for €7, it's seven games (six of which can be used for this event) and it's an awesome run and gun series.

Update:

L8ebf3a.png

I played Metal Slug 2 and Metal Slug X, I can now say with almost certainty that the one Metal Slug game that I played before (on an actual arcade machine) was Metal Slug 2.

Metal Slug X is an updated re-release of Metal Slug 2, with some better Slug options, some more enemies and some more attacks for existing enemies, and a few other changes (mission 1 takes place at night now, and the alien enemies pop up a bit earlier in the game instead of showing up out of nowhere).

The games are a lot of fun, and are certainly getting better - with more diverse levels, bosses and regular enemies. If the later games keep being fun then I might just play through them all before the end of this month.

I noticed an Indipendence Day (the movie) reference in the game... Hadn't realised that that movie was old enough already that an old game like this can reference it. Wow, I feel old...

Spoiler

Hardcore Nostalgia

Hide contents

Games played through

Games played

Game systems on list
Super Nintendo

Games to play
Super Mario Bros. 3 (SNES) (played through a couple of times before)

Softcore Nostalgia

Hide contents

Games played through

Metal Slug 2 - Metal Slug Anthology (PS4) (never played before)

Metal Slug X - Metal Slug Anthology (PS4) (never played before)

Games played

Game systems on list
PS3, PS4

Games to play
Full Throttle Remastered (PS4) (should be released Q1 2017, never played before)

Metal Slug 3 - Metal Slug Anthology (PS4) (never played before)

Metal Slug 4 - Metal Slug Anthology (PS4) (never played before)

Metal Slug 5 - Metal Slug Anthology (PS4) (never played before)

• 2 weeks later...

It's great to be back and a big thank you for the changes, I'm actually a little excited, this is missing 1 game.

Hardcore Nostalgia

Games played through
Body Harvest (N64)

Games played
Body Harvest (N64)

Game systems on list
Nintendo 64

Games to play
Shadowman (N64)
Hybrid Heaven (N64)

Ogre Battle 64 (N64)

Quest 64 (N64)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Softcore Nostalgia

Games played through

Games played

Game systems on list

Games to play
Silent Hill 2 HD (Ps3)

Silent Hill 3 HD (Ps3)

Dark Half (Sfc/snes)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

It's great to be back and a big thank you for the changes, I'm actually a little excited, this is missing 1 game.

Hardcore Nostalgia

Games played through
Body Harvest (N64)

Games played
Body Harvest (N64)

Game systems on list
Nintendo 64

Games to play
Shadowman (N64)
Hybrid Heaven (N64)

Ogre Battle 64 (N64)

Quest 64 (N64)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Softcore Nostalgia

Games played through

Games played

Game systems on list

Games to play
Silent Hill 2 HD (Ps3)

Silent Hill 3 HD (Ps3)

Dark Half (Sfc/snes)

Awesome ot have you back :)

I count twelve games so you're not missing anything (I know you started on Body Harvest last year but if I recall correctly you did most this year).

Going to put you in the OP now. I intended the "games played" list for games you haven't completely played through yet, by the way.

How was Body Harvest? I never got through Java but I really liked the game.

Body Harvest N64, What a Unique title that I wished I played properly when it was new. Moving forward to 2016/17 with N64 gaming in mind, I can see how many parts of this game would have blown people away at the time. The scenario of Aliens harvesting humans really got me going,,,, and shooting everything which I think included the citizens, if you haven't played this game don't kill the civilians as the level will fail. A very smartly designed game for it's time with functional mechanics and vehicles, this was evident and enjoyable the moment I got to fly a plane

So A quick recap, A sandbox game from DMA (GTA3 fame) released in 1998 based on time travel and Aliens harvesting humans from different locations on earth including a comet. Main missions and Side missions, collectibles like alien artifacts for building alien weapons which encourage exploration. This is not an easy game but it certainly is allot of fun once you get in the zone. Highly recommended.

For anyone wanting to play this (I think you Should) I feel I need to say this, 1941 Java Stage 4, Think really hard as to why your plane keeps getting hit by lightning, you may be stuck for some time.

• Like 1

@Z1MZUM Sadly the only way I foresee playing Body Harvest becomes an option for me is if it will be available on the Switch. What with my last N64 breaking down after a while of hardly reading any cartridges, I don't think I'll be getting one again as most of what I'd buy would just be available for the Switch.

Games I'd get out of the Wii/WiiU N64 lists for the PAL region:

Donkey Kong 64, Super Mario 64, Ocarina Of Time, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Yoshi's Story, Mario Party 2, Pokémon Snap, F-Zero X.

Games I'd get out of the Wii/WiiU SNES lists for the PAL region:

Super Mario RPG: The Legend Of The Seven Stars (the rest I can all get easily for my regular SNES but this was never released here).

Talk is that they're going to release the full Virtual Console library day one for the Switch, this is paired with the talk that they're trying to find a way for WiiU owners to copy their libraries so they won't have to buy the games all over again like what happened after the Wii.

I would also like to re-obtain the N64 games Conker's Bad Fur Day and Jet Force Gemini but my guess is this is never going to happen because those copyrights are with Rare/Microsoft now, luckily Nintendo still owns Donkey Kong. And Rare Replay is STILL the only game I'd buy the X1 for (next to the backwards compatable Alan Wake, which I played before as well).

Does completing A Link To The Past warrant a big update post, even if I'm currently the only one posting for this event? I'd say it does! :)

Update:

maxresdefault.jpg

After a full weekend of playing on the SNES and ignoring trophies (this feels really good), I have now beaten A Link To The Past for the first tim ever. I never owned this title as a kid; I only noticed Zelda when the used N64 I bought came with (amongst Super Mario 64 and Star Wars Racer) Ocarina Of Time. I loved that game though, and I have played several Zelda games since. I actually started on Link To The Past about eight years ago (and got about halfway through) but I never finished it back then - some real life stuff got in the way of my gaming and I switched back to non-retro gaming soon after.

It's still amazing after all these years, it's an awesome game. There's a cool fantasy-adventure story, great visuals, a perfect score and a lot of side tuff to get lost in. The game does not hold your hand at all, you only get some hints t a select few crucial points.

I've now played through A Link To The Past, Ocarina Of Time, The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks. I feel like adding that I've played all the original versions (and in the case of Twilight Princess, which had two versions appear around the same time: the Game Cube version).

As for Link To The Past, I still think Ocarina Of Time is better. It's all relative though - Link To The Past is certainly an amazing game and I'd rate it among my top experiences on the SNES. I'd also rate it higher than any other Zelda game I've played. In case you want to know (and in case you don't, still): Ocarina Of Time, Link To The Past, The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Spirit Tracks.

I kinda stopped playing the Wii before Skyward Sword came out, if that one would somehow find its way onto the Switch then I'm definitely playing it. I never had Majora's Mask on the N64 but I tried it on the Game Cube and it didn't appeal to me enough to keep playing... I'm ready to give it another try though. That covers all the main console games except the NES era and I'm not really running to get my hands on those, not really aching for the handhelds either.

I never counted myself as a super fan of the Zelda games (just look at how many titles I've missed) but each game in the series that I start has me immediately invested again. I seem to especially enjoy any Zelda title where Link can explore the lands of Hyrule Kingdom. I can't wait for Breath Of The Wild!

Edited by BillyHorrible
typo (serves me for writing at 3AM)
  • Like 1