How come there's such a high platinum rate?

DisturbedPT

Seriously, how come it's so close to 10% when I've seen so many people complaining about how hard it is to achieve. :huh:  I haven't been able to find a single guide nor many helpful tips regarding how to obtain certain trophies.

I've bought this last night and haven't touched it yet but I plan to do so tonight.

Platinum percentage is not a representant of difficulty.

17215c6d39a9ba6485b7c85e1d4e30e0.png

4b26805ca94fdcd479586eff14af8d42.png

Wait what? Are you saying that LittleBigPlanet2 is easier then Spec-Ops?

I'm pretty confident that Platinum % is pretty accurate way to see how hard it is AND how popular the game is. Of course people manipulate such things with boosting and cheating but isn't it up to each one to determine what we find to be difficult?

I've played lots of games that people have considered to be challenging, while I found it to be easy.

• Like 1

I'm pretty confident that Platinum % is pretty accurate way to see how hard it is AND how popular the game is. Of course people manipulate such things with boosting and cheating but isn't it up to each one to determine what we find to be difficult?

I've played lots of games that people have considered to be challenging, while I found it to be easy.

no platinum %  is only representive about the % of people owning the game that have platinum in it.   so the game can be extremely difficult to plat but have a high plat % because the game either has not alot of players or is just alot of fun to plat.  however other games can be rly easy to plat but are boring and grindy. or simply have a shitton of game owners wich makes the ammount of people having plat lower. in comparison to game owners.

so in simple words. platinum % is not a indicator of how hard a game is or how hard it is to plat the game AT ALL

Edited by DivineFoxy
  • Like 2

no platinum %  is only representive about the % of people owning the game that have platinum in it.   so the game can be extremely difficult to plat but have a high plat % because the game either has not alot of players or is just alot of fun to plat.  however other games can be rly easy to plat but are boring and grindy. or simply have a shitton of game owners wich makes the ammount of people having plat lower. in comparison to game owners.

so in simple words. platinum % is not a indicator of how hard a game is or how hard it is to plat the game AT ALL

Are we talking PSNP stats or "the real plat %" from PSN? I also said before that popularity matters..

• Like 1

Platinum percentage is not a representant of difficulty.

17215c6d39a9ba6485b7c85e1d4e30e0.png

4b26805ca94fdcd479586eff14af8d42.png

What this sage said. I love rarity myself, but the fact is, it just doesn't always measure what you want. 

I'm pretty confident that Platinum % is pretty accurate way to see how hard it is AND how popular the game is. 

Sure, but depending on the game, those can be two very separate things. 

If you want to draw a general statistical correlation between rarity of plat and difficulty of plat, you might find something. If you want to use rarity of a specific game to determine the difficulty of that specific game, you're barking up the wrong tree.

• Like 4

this doesnt make sense. the number of players cant change the result, thats why we call it a percentage. if 1000 people played a game and 5 of them got the platinum, the plat percentage will be 0.5%. if 100,000 people download it, 500 will get the platinum and the percentage will still be the same. of course the percentage might change a bit cause more good or bad players are going to play it, but it wont change more than 1-2% cause it needs a silly amount of players of the same (good or bad) level to change that percentage, especially in games with thousands of downloads. for example OlliOlli2 which is a difficult game havent change more than 0.1% from the month it came out although it has 120,000 more players. the same goes for every game out there. (new games with few downloads will have big percentage changes but after a month of new downloads this will probably stop)

Edited by xblindsidebeatx

I'm pretty confident that Platinum % is pretty accurate way to see how hard it is AND how popular the game is.

You don't think so? PST does state that:

bf2e66da7c7ab8344ec01639ff0f9d65.png

49a674543fc9ea9bbe7931bb0eb11532.png

% doesn't talk about popularity, see the different versions of Pier Solar. Number of owners does tell you that.

• Like 1

You don't think so? PST does state that:

bf2e66da7c7ab8344ec01639ff0f9d65.png

49a674543fc9ea9bbe7931bb0eb11532.png

% doesn't talk about popularity, see the different versions of Pier Solar. Number of owners does tell you that.

Hehe nope.

Spec-Ops the Line trophy guide was posted June 27th, 2012, 08:29 AM which means it's so old rating wise it's basically when the game was New.

If you check it's latest ratings it's lower then before, 35% more votes on 4 or Less.

LittleBigPlanet was also posted January 19th, 2011, 03:57 PM .

More people voted 5 or More the last months with roughly 40% increase.

If you want to see difficulty you go check either what people rate OR PSN and see the % there. % definitely tells you in a general sense how popular the game is, how come some story related trophies start at 80% first few levels but decline to 50% at the end?

this doesnt make sense. the number of players cant change the result, thats why we call it a percentage.

Actualy, i think it does make sense, but you have to take more into consideration than just the numbers. If a game has mainstream appeal and is bought by millions, the percentage of "hardcore gamers" going for the platinum will be smaller, and so fewer people will achieve it. If a game is more of a niche title, often the vast majority of the players will try to complete everything it has to offer, and so more people will get the plat.

• Like 2

Difficulty is always subjective. Take for example, fighting games. I found MKvDC and Battle Fantasia both to be pretty low on the difficulty scale. Maybe a 5/10. I even did the MP for MKvDC legit...which isn't saying much.

Anyways, i think both are rated much higher on pst.org. 9 or something. Where somebody like me would rate games like the aforementioned much lower, I suck at racing and fps games. I may be on the other spectrum of the difficulty rating for those types than most would.

Therefore, most rating systems and trophy rarities are worth jack shit. They just give you a general idea.

Edited by PhilDeezEnYuTees
  • Like 1

Actualy, i think it does make sense, but you have to take more into consideration than just the numbers. If a game has mainstream appeal and is bought by millions, the percentage of "hardcore gamers" going for the platinum will be smaller, and so fewer people will achieve it. If a game is more of a niche title, often the vast majority of the players will try to complete everything it has to offer, and so more people will get the plat.

I'm just talking about how the number of players cant change the plat percentage more than 1%-2% in the long run.

No matter what game you can think of, the people who are going to play it (many casual gamers and just a few hardcore ones or the other way around) will always be the same for that game. When the game reaches (for example) 100,000 downloads in 2 years and only 10 have the platinum, the platinum percentage cant change much even if 20 people achieve the platinum in the next month cause the number of downloads is big enough to prevent the percentage from changing with such small numbers and its actually kind of accurate after all those months. Not 100% accurate but close enough to understand that a game may be difficult, glitchy or grindy.

I'm kind of sorry for starting such a discussion but I tried to relate both the difficulty and popularity of the game in question in the OP, like I said most of the posts of people who own the game were about how hard the game is and how some ended up simply giving up. I'm aware it's not the most accurate way to analyze this but it ends up being somewhat indicative of what you'll getting yourself into.

• Like 1

To put things in perspective you have Bloodborne which has over 20 percent of all game owners with a platinum.

Then you have games like Dust: An Elysian Tail and Apotheon which both have 'very rare' platinums. But as a whole they aren't as difficult of games compared to the Souls games.

The point is the difficulty of various games isn't always represented by platinum percentage, I would argue most games aren't. Even despite this website and Playstationtrophies.org both being places for trophy whores and trophy hunters, there are many people who don't care about platinums. The vast majority of Playstation gamers don't give a crap about trophies and this is evident with percentages on PSN.

So I would highly think Apotheon and Dust were tried out by a lot of people but they didn't stick to them, so they moved on to other games. The Souls games and Bloodborne have a huge following, I'm sure there are a few communities out there dedicated specifically to beating them. They also have a higher appeal for the mainstream which may be why many of the trophies have a higher percentage than games such as the two I just listed along with Super Stardust Ultra.

Sure, there are difficult games with ultra rare platinums like Vanquish, Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Issac: Rebirth. But not all games with rare platinums are difficult, and difficulty is subjective.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

I can't really remember much about the game, but I don't think it was particularly difficult. 8% seems like a fair rarity for the platinum, maybe even a little on the low side.

Most of the harder trophies depend on completing the modes as quickly as possible without any deaths. Staying alive isn't necessarily the hard part, but I know I didn't even get close to the required times on my first few attempts.

Perhaps a lot of people were discouraged early on after seeing they were nowhere near the required time and didn't know where to go from there. Without a guide it could be hard to tell whether you're doing something wrong or doing it right and being shit at it.

Although I think your weapons become stronger with use, so it does gradually get easier.

It's been quite a while since I played it, but I get the feeling I'd give it a 6/10 if I could remember just how difficult it was.

To put things in perspective you have Bloodborne which has over 20 percent of all game owners with a platinum.

That just reminded me of the following.

Bloodborne plat % doesn't represent accurately it's actual difficulty. The game suffered from a bug during the first few months in which all bosses became easier the longer you played. It's actually a lot harder now than it was before. Similar to Table Top Racing World Tour (I believe that's the name) that also had a glitch for some drift trophy or something at first, and is now also more difficult to obtain. There are probably other similar cases to those This just goes to show, that plat % is not an accurate value of the overall difficulty.

• Like 1

That just reminded me of the following.

Bloodborne plat % doesn't represent accurately it's actual difficulty. The game suffered from a bug during the first few months in which all bosses became easier the longer you played. It's actually a lot harder now than it was before. Similar to Table Top Racing World Tour (I believe that's the name) that also had a glitch for some drift trophy or something at first, and is now also more difficult to obtain. There are probably other similar cases to those This just goes to show, that plat % is not an accurate value of the overall difficulty.

Interesting, I never knew that.

Bloodborne also has a platinum rarity of seven percent on PSN.

Ah well, I will enjoy Bloodborne regardless when I get around to it.

this doesnt make sense. the number of players cant change the result, thats why we call it a percentage. if 1000 people played a game and 5 of them got the platinum, the plat percentage will be 0.5%. if 100,000 people download it, 500 will get the platinum and the percentage will still be the same. of course the percentage might change a bit cause more good or bad players are going to play it, but it wont change more than 1-2% cause it needs a silly amount of players of the same (good or bad) level to change that percentage, especially in games with thousands of downloads. for example OlliOlli2 which is a difficult game havent change more than 0.1% from the month it came out although it has 120,000 more players. the same goes for every game out there. (new games with few downloads will have big percentage changes but after a month of new downloads this will probably stop)

it actually can. for example if 100k people own a game. and only 4000 get the platinum because its grindy. HOWEVER IT BEING EASY AF.   the % wil stil only be 4%.  4000 people is stil alot. however another game can be RLY HARD to play.  but only 2k people own the game.  all those 2k people spend alot of time and effort on that game and got it platinum making the platinum % 100%.  stil the 100% platted game is 9000x harder then then 4% platted game.  so ammount of people owning a game actually does effect the % of a trophy rarity. not all people are trophy hunters and simply play the game. and don't care for plat. the more people own the game the more likely it is that there is a greater ammount of people who don't care for the plat and just play.  

an example of such a game is the sims 3.  only 4% have the plat but the game is rly rly rly rlyyyy easy to platinum. and it looks super long and grindy if u look at stats but its even pretty fast to do. also the % reason is because of alot of people owning the game that do not care for the plat.

Are we talking PSNP stats or "the real plat %" from PSN? I also said before that popularity matters..

yes indeed popularity matters because more people owning the game makes for more people who don't care and do not hunt for the plat . and both real plat % on playstation and psnp :) but yes often a harder game has a low plat %.  unless they are  "prestige games for being hard" wich makes people want to plat it badly to have "achieved" something.  and some extremely hard games are so "special" that only fans buy it and they all plat it making the % rly high while the game can be extremely hard to plat/have :)

smite has a 0,60% plat% and its not a hard plat to get. maybe a bit grindy at max.   same with overwatch tbh. only like 1,7%? maybe even lower but its not that hard to plat when u get good/decent with the heroes :)

and games like the sims3  wich has like 4,4%  is just a small bit grindy however its stil decently fast and takes no skill whatsoever to plat because its simply a rly rly easy plat :P yet the % is lowish

• 5 years later...

A couple of things probably contribute to it. This is an enhanced port of a PC game, so you get more owners who know what they're getting into. It's got around 11,000 owners, so it's not super popular considering it's 7 years old. I doubt it's the type of game that attracted a lot of blind casual purchases both due to the style, and the fact that I remember sales being infrequent and not super discounted. It's not the hardest game in the world, but I agree that the plat not being UR is a little surprising. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...