PSNP's Year End Awards-2016

I'm still sad you didn't fulfill your two promises of "I will be putting everyone who listed their winners and losers into the opening post with selected quotes why they feel their game deserved to be there" and "I will be compiling all the winners and losers to see what our year in gaming looked like" last year :P

WURST PLAT OV TEH YEER and Biggest Bomb will yet again be the hardest ones for me to choose, especially this year... I just don't play games I'd hate...

Sleeper Hit and Best Platinum will also be quite difficult to choose this year *_* So many great games and platinums this year. I'll make it a bit easier for myself though since I'm disqualifying all my Plat Rain Day plats from January 1.

List coming later! Need to go sleep now.

I'm still sad you didn't fulfill your two promises of "I will be putting everyone who listed their winners and losers into the opening post with selected quotes why they feel their game deserved to be there" and "I will be compiling all the winners and losers to see what our year in gaming looked like" last year :P

WURST PLAT OV TEH YEER and Biggest Bomb will yet again be the hardest ones for me to choose, especially this year... I just don't play games I'd hate...

Sleeper Hit and Best Platinum will also be quite difficult to choose this year *_* So many great games and platinums this year. I'll make it a bit easier for myself though since I'm disqualifying all my Plat Rain Day plats from January 1.

List coming later! Need to go sleep now.

...maybe it is still coming :ninja:. Actually I got really busy last January and then I completely forgot about that until I opened this thread today :(

So please post your winners below and let us all regale in each others accomplishments :D Also last year I allowed Plat Rain plats to count but since it isn't until February this year (instead of New Years) then those will have to count for next year

I was a good sport and didn't count any of them, since the plats were all popped in 2016. That means I can include them this time :dance:.

I googled Internet Trophy and that popped up...I thought it was appropriate ^_^

Lol :lol:, yep I can't think of anything that would fit more.

Piece of Cake:

XBlaze: Lost Memories was the easiest platinum for 2016 for me. I really enjoyed the story of the first one, but I hated the system to progress to the different routes. Lost Memories was a breath of fresh air compared to the first one and the story was really engaging. 

The Billy Mitchell Award:

My best friend and I have been able to get through some really hard stuff and brush off any dead ends with a few jokes. However, I had a hard time Magika. My friend and I did all of the multiplayer together and tackled the Trails and Challenges together. Some of those were extremely hard where you would start and die almost right away! We eventually got through it, but there were plenty of points where we both wanted to quit. It came down to doing only a level or two a night due to the frustration.

Bad Ass Award:

I played Fallout 4 on the hardest difficulty which I hope most people did too to really enjoy the game. There was a time when a giant crab queen appeared and was really being mean to me. I threw down a flare to call in a chopper. I was running in circles trying to kite the boss as much as possible. I am losing health faster than I can pee my pants and all the little monster were attacking me too. Finally! The chopper lands, I get in with less than a few ticks of health and hop on the mini gun. God, holding down the triggering was the most amazing thing ever. Bzzzzzzzzt!!  I win.

Grind of the Year:

Trillion: God of Destruction by far takes this award. Having to run through each of the girls ending was brutal! Making sure to do the strategy, training, and skipping all the dialog took hours! There are plenty of other games this year that required a grind. Killing yourself or something in Gauntlet and Magika. Farming all those coins in Dragon Quest Heroes. Those were all easy enough to listen to music to and kick back. Trillion required not only the grind, the you had to pay attention to make sure you did everything right to make sure you killing Trillion with that particular girl.

Best Online Experience:

Being a huge fan of the Borderlands series, the Pre-Sequel was really great to jump in and out of to kill baddies with. You had to be quick with loot sometimes, but most people just used the weapons they got from the golden chest anyways.

Worst Online Experience:

Zombie Army Trilogy was bar far the worst online experience this year. It was really difficult to do some of the survival trophies by yourself or even with a buddy. You pretty much had to do with a full group of 4. I always had a problem with lag which is awful with a precision shooter like this and most of the people who played were looking for a quick trophy and hardly trying or pulling their own weight. I had more bad games than good with this one, and some people just shouldn't be playing FPS games.

Sleeper Hit of the Year:

Grim Fandango was one of those gems for me this year. I got it on sale during one of the flash sales because a friend of mine wanted me to play it. I knew it was a pretty easy platinum if you used a guides and went for it. I am really bad at puzzle games like these so I am glad I used a guide, but I am glad I played it! The dialog, the characters, the setting, all of it. It was a really great game to play. The ending was wonderful and overall was really great to experience. I encourage everyone to pick it up the next time it goes on sale.

Biggest Bomb of the Year:

Being a huge Skylanders fan. I have all the character and I have obtained all the platinum trophies across all the games more than once if it is possible. With the release of Skylander Imaginators this year it was a huge let down. The game focused more on the current Skylanders, the sensei's, and the Imagination Crystals which allow you to create you own Skylanders. All the previous Skylanders are much weaker in comparison and so you are almost forced to use the Sensei or Crystals. I will still play it as I enjoy it still, it is just really concerning how they will take the game in the future and if they will even create another game.

Best Platinum of 2016!

The Ratchet & Clank rebootmake was the best platinum for me this year! I am a huge fan of the series and really enjoyed the game with its updated graphics and new features. I really hope they continue to do these "rebootmakes" or even create new and original games!

Wurst Plat Ov Teh Yeer:

Again, being very bad at puzzles games I knew Ether One was an easy platinum to get if you had a guide or a video. Oh boy was I wrong. It took me more than 4x the amount of time the guides said it should take. I hated this game! I story was cool at the start, after that they just throw you in. How would someone solve these puzzles without using a guide? Sure the story was okay once you actually made it to the story parts, but the puzzles parts were the worst. Each level getting more and more frustrating to navigate in. The final trophy that required me to fill up all the spots on the shelves was what did it for me. I was so mad having to go back and collect a bunch of pots and cups, dealing with the occasional crash because of teleporting, and the occasional long loading screen wanted me to pull my hair out. So glad I know never to play puzzles games like these ever again, even with a guide.

Other notes: I'm sure No Man's Sky will win Wurst Plat Ov Teh Yeer and Biggest Bomb but I really enjoyed the game. Not enough to put it on my lists, but I did enjoy the 80+ or so hours I spent on it. A game that can keep your attention that long these days is rare. Especially if it was all in one sitting or made you want to take more days off of work.

• Like 4

Sleeper Hit of the Year

Adventure Time: the Secret of the Nameless Kingdom

1Lef91de.png

Probably like anyone who picked this up, I only got it because it was $1 for the PSV version. Adventure Time is okay in my book, and so I thought it'd be fun to see how a game of it plays... lo and behold, it plays basically like my favorite game of all time A Link to the Past. A top down view adventure with some dungeons, plenty of collecting, and questing to do. It definitely hit the sweetest of spots in me, which is probably why I ended up loving it so much.

I'll have to pick this up, I really liked Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know. I play it when people come to my house, I also need to get Investigations. 

Bad Ass Award:

I played Fallout 4 on the hardest difficulty which I hope most people did too to really enjoy the game. There was a time when a giant crab queen appeared and was really being mean to me. I threw down a flare to call in a chopper. I was running in circles trying to kite the boss as much as possible. I am losing health faster than I can pee my pants and all the little monster were attacking me too. Finally! The chopper lands, I get in with less than a few ticks of health and hop on the mini gun. God, holding down the triggering was the most amazing thing ever. Bzzzzzzzzt!!  I win.

That's what I am talking about with Badass Award :). It is just hat moment that can't be captured in any other medium of entertainment. Just everything lining up perfectly and something awesome happens :D

I'm using that this time for the Sleeper Hit of the Year :D.

Kind of funny how we both don't like Borderlands but we both put Tales from the Borderlands as our Sleeper Hits ^_^

Piece of Cake Plat Award

My Name is Mayo

1L0f2b9f.png

So easy, you just need to click :cross: 10,000 times

The Billy Mitchell Award

Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 1 

1L6023a7.png

This was my hardest due to how annoying many of the trophies are for online and that damn sitting ducks trophy what a pain.

Bad Ass Award

Has to Come from N.E.R.O, i let the picture tell the story 

HrXKJY4.jpg

Grind Of the Year Award 

Grease Monkey Trophy from Dark Void 

21L622e60.png

You have to upgrade all weapons for this trophy and since it glitched on me i had to do this 2 full times

Best Online Experience Award 

Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 1 

had no issues with the online grind and i made some new friends from boosting this 

Worst Online Experience

Tumblestone

Have tried and tried and tried with numerous people and yet cannot play 1 online game, just gives same issue all the time which really annoys me considering how much fun this game is.

Sleeper Hit of the year Award

Jazzpunk

one of the most silliest/funniest games i've played, it ain't long but man it gave me a ton of laughs, contains tons of easter eggs, some being from video games and a funny/silly story, i enjoyed it so much i did it 2 times, i would recommend this game to anyone who loves video games it's that fantastic of a game

Biggest Bomb of the year Award

Toro

Now i like to try a lot of games and like to play bad games but this is one i highly regret ever buying, i still have tons to do in it but i really don't even feel like doing it it's that bad, the game is so bad i've felt more like sleeping then playing it.

The Best Platinum Award of 2016

Duke Nukem 3D 20th Anniversary World Tour

This was a easy answer for me considering i love duke and love old school shooters, once this game was announced i pre-ordered day 1 and played as soon as i could, i loved going for every trophy, i just wish Duke Nukem Forever was this fun 

The Worst Platinum Award of 2016 

Dreamals Dream Quest

Even-though it may be easy, i raged more then enough at this, some of the levels especially ones with the inverted controls were so annoying, it took me 6 days because i could not stand playing a lot of it at a time, tbh i'm just glad i finished it, i will not be touching the 100% dremals game 

• Like 3

Are we allowed to put games that we haven't platinumed in the Billy Mitchell Award? 

EDIT: Whoops, I'm an idiot. Just saw that you can only add games you have platinumed.

Yeah the only one that doesn't have to be a platinum is the Bad Ass Award because that is just a moment in a game :)

Piece of cake award:
Goosebumps, with a guide i platted it in 4 hours and did an extra walkthrough for a mistake

Billy Mitchell award:
Batman: Arkham City, those challenges are hardest thing i did in 2016

Badass award: 
I played Last of Us, loved every second of it, and now is my favorite game on PS3

Grind of the year:
Final Fantasy XIV: After 400 hours of doing fates and dungeons i got it

Best online experience:
The Last of us online is awesome, so sad that boosting groups are so full of drama, i ended doing it alone cause i enjoyed it a lot

Worst online experience: 
Batman Arkham Origins: The constants disconects and my ps3 frooze so many times i worried it may get damaged

Sleeper Hit:
Xmen Destiny: Everyone said this game is awful but i enjoyed it a lot.

Biggest bomb of the year:
Naruto Storm R, so repetitive, i grow numb of playing this

Best platinum of the year: 
Final Fantasy XIV, i loved every second of this

Worst platinum of the year:
Goat Simulator, this game is stupid.

Edited by MtalCat
  • Like 1

Piece of Cake Plat Award

N.E.R.O.

1L93a7c4.png

N_E_R_O_Nothing_Ever_Remains_zpsf715msj5

I was just fooling around this game and didn't realise I already got most of the trophies and the platinum popped.  xD 

The game is very enjoyable in my opinion even though it was a cheap platinum to get  :giggle:

The Billy Mitchel Award

Mamorukun Curse!

1Ld5af81.png

OMG! My masochistic side went wild when I was playing this. Got the game for like $3.00 CAD in a flash sale and for that amount giving me those difficult courses, I really wanted to CURSE this game a lot even though it was dirt cheap. 

Thank God for the "moeness" :awesome: of the characters especially Fululu was my saving grace here and help me get that  :platinum:

Bad Ass Award

Attack on Titan 

9Lcce92c.png 17L52f22f.png

Yep, yep, I am a big fan boy of the show and I don't care what others think of it. This game maybe hated by most but I totally loved this game and even kept playing it after earning the  :platinum: .

How can I not feel the bad ass moments when you play as either 

levi_vs_female_titan_gif_by_dillingham-d OR giphy.gif

(Levi or Mikasa)

The game maybe glitchy and grindy but for me this was a real treat. I would totally stack the  :platinum: on this game (just need funds  :ninja: )

Grind of the Year

Deception IV: Blood Ties

1L7eba4a.png

This game was insanely grindy, farming for those trap experience and very very glitchy, some stages I get stuck and some of my traps hit me <_<. But the fan service  :holy: was my help here in order to get that  :platinum: .

Best Online Experience

L38d876.png

Thank you PSNP, for making meet this wonderful people to help me. I may not have the  :platinum: for the game yet but it sure is fun to play it with friends you can count on  ^_^

Worst Online Experience

Nothing  ^_^

Sleeper Hit of the Year 

L14bfb5.png

My cousin just lent me his copy and I thought it was gonna be boring  xD. Boy was I wrong, this game is fun to play and those powers are cool and awesome to watch and see. 

The only problem I had is it was short but people should still pick this up for sure.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

I got none, I love the games I play.... Wait..... 

*Sees Call of Duty: Awakening in list* ...... :facepalm:

The Best Platinum of 2016

Well obviously

1L5c8bb0.png

I'm gonna destroy them! Every last one that's on this earth! 

Acquired all trophies.

Satoshi would be happy with Kaji platinum trophy  :awesome:

Yes I full heartily enjoyed getting each trophy in this game.  ^_^

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer

1L617ec9.png

J-STARS Victory VS+ 

Collect all trophies.

I thought I was in for something special since it was my childhood faves and new generation characters......

Boy was I wrong this disappointed me greatly and after finishing just one story mode the other trophies were a chore to get.  <_<

Still better than playing CoD:AW doe  :awesome:

• Like 3

Then it's time for me as well...

Piece of cake Award

Sorry, but I have nothing in here that can qualify for a piece of cake.

The Billy Mitchell Award

Just realized I didn't get that many plats this year - time to change that! ^_^

Bad Ass Award

I think it would be something that happened to me in Ace Combat Infinity quite recently: Got to play that online stuff again and started a mission. Got lucky that I found a lobby that had only 1 missing player and then selected the fuel stake. Mission was Dogfight in Area B7R and I flew what I always take: The F-4E Phantom II -20th Anniversary- (4-Star Special Aircraft). And in that first mission after about a week not playing any online in that game, I got the MVP award! A rather old aircraft and not practising for a week somehow are bad, but getting MVP right away is quite Bad Ass. On top of that, it happened then a 2nd time - in a row as well! - and I even dropped another special aircraft. It gets even more Bad Ass as I saw that I already own this dropped aircraft but got instead the whooping sum of 100,000 credits :awesome: That is my personal Bad Ass moment in 2016.

Grind of the Year Award

Probably Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. Servers are quite empty and that alone makes it difficult to get every trophy done. But thanks to some boosting sessions from here (thanks to all of them!) I got almost every trophy, even the almost-UR named "Abstergo Employee of the Month" and now there's just the maximum level left. Currently have level 48 and I do hope to get this done before 2016 ends ;)

Best Online Experience Award

This has to be Helldivers where I made a LOT of progress within the first 2 months of owning a PSVita. There's still a big grind to get around so it could be that this game appears again in the 2017 edition of this Year End Awards but as long as I'm doing stuff there, I'm good! Some fellow players are quite helpful (had one from Germany who even went against a Master Enemy with me and 2 other players, which popped me 4 trophies!) and some are just plain trolls. But there's still that nifty option to kick players out of your game and that function is what almost every other online mode is missing.

Worst Online Experience Award

Nothing in here, since I don't do all the online games at the same time.

Sleeper Hit of the Year

If I had a game to recommend someone should plat, it would be WipEout 2048 on the PSVita. If you're looking for a Mario Kart that is more mature, this is your game! Got that recommended myself from a fellow player I met at work and he's waiting to see if I get this plat... Definitely a gem that is worth discovering, although Conception 2: Children of the Seven Stars could qualify for that as well... :hmm: And I only played the demo for the latter, waiting to get that on a sale.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

3 words: The Last Guy. A game about rescuring people from places everywhere on the world where monsters can instantly kill you? Picked that one up from PS+ and that left me say: "Who releases this shit of a game?!"

Best Platinum of 2016

Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal is with a big gap my personal Plat of the year. The story of getting that game beaten started on the good-old PS2 and I never made it there. But on the PS3 - now in HD - I finally took that game out on almost 2 complete playthroughs. The 2nd one was made in english 'cause the dialogue there is way funnier than the german version :D That is also why I quoted President Phyronix after I obtained this plat (see my status profile feed on this site around June 6, 2016).

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer

Even the dragoon has to rage sometime - this time, it all goes to Sony and all the VN's that are available on the PS Store. That is because the worst plats of 2016 are both Code Realize: ~Guardian of Rebirth~ and Amnesia: Memories. Both games are waaaaay too similar, both have nothing real to play (+1 for Amnesia, though, 'cause of the minigames) and it's good on one hand to get some fast plats, but - on the other hand - doing almost nothing for that REALLY annoys me! That is also why I shouted at Sony in another one of my status updates about bringing other games to PS+ - and it looks like it worked... But nonetheless: Both of the mentioned VN's are my personal Worst Plats of 2016. :shakefist:  Eat this, Sony!

Edited by dein-the-dragoon
  • Like 3

I doubt I can fill the entire list, there are just not enough games for each category (especially the games I hated). Oh well, I might as well try.

Peace of Cake

Life is Strange

THE BILLY MITCHELL AWARD

This just has to go to a Souls game. They are not that hard, but the hardest games I've played this year.

Dark Souls II :Scholar of the First Sin

Bad Ass Award

Dark Souls III

Completed my NG+2 without dying.

Grind of the Year

I would say Toukiden: Kiwami, but I don't have the plat yet (damn grinding xD). God Eater Resurrection has a decent amount of grinding, but it's far from unbearable. The same goes for Tears to Tiara II.

Let's go with Samurai Warriors 4 for this category.

Best Online Experience

Dark Souls III

I had quite a bit of fun playing through NG+5, +6, +7, +1 and +2 with a friend.

Worst Online Experience

Here's where it gets difficult. I only had two online experiences this year. Dark Souls 3 is already one the list, so the other one would have to be here, but God Eater Resurrection doesn't deserve a nomination in this category. It wasn't bad, it was actually quite fun to play online. I'll leave this blank for the time being. Maybe I'll come up with something, but I don't think so.

Sleeper Hit of the Year

That's easy. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

I actually got this game for free right after release. I didn't expect much due to the PS2 version, but it turned out to be one of the more enjoyable gaming experiences of the year.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

Nights of Azure

Overly simplistic gameplay, a below than average story and characters I didn't care for one bit.

The Best Platinum of 2016

I'll still get at least one platinum this year, it'd be a bit too early to nominate a game, but I'm doing it anyways.

Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord

Got the platinum in the EU and US version. 'Nuff said.

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer

For now, I'll leave this blank as well. There are some candidates, I have to think about whether any game was bad enough to be mentioned here.

• Like 4

Piece of Cake: Coffin Dodgers 

1L1d38db.png

My new fastest Platinum, very quick and easy.

Billy Mitchell: Driveclub (100%)

1L9e1d13.png

'Venom Wet Lap' with 0.02 seconds to spare

Badass Award: PES 2016 

41L9b79dc.png

Awarded for winning 6 VS COM matches in a row at Super Star level in myClub (First try)

Grind of the Year: Pes 2016

1L018348.png

​Thankfully got it done when I was too sick to concentrate on anything more engaging.

Best online experience: Rocket League

1L6c211c.png

Made some friends in my 2000 something games. Also my first PS4 Platinum.

Worst Online Experience: N/A

Sleeper Hit: Styx Master of Shadows

1Lf1516d.png

PS+ game that's mechanically a great stealth game despite the low budget presentation. (I actually found it quite charming). Also it's a very doable Ultra Rare Platinum.

Biggest Bomb of the Year: Need For Speed (2015)

1Lb07987.png

These games are on a downward spiral. The arcade racing genre really needs a shake up imo.

Best Platinum of the Year: The Last of Us Remastered

1L351129.png

10/10 game for me. First game I played when I got a PS4 and it totally lived up to expectations. Really enjoyed going for the multiplayer trophies too.

Wurst Platinum of the Year: Trine 3

1L362b4b.png

Very disappointing entry in a series I'd really enjoyed previously. I never Plat games that I end up not liking but this one came close. Would not recommend.

Edited by UK-Danny-93
  • Like 2