New Year's Contest 2017 - Winners Announced + Feedback Requested

On 12/11/2016 at 8:24 PM, Dragon-Archon said:

Awesome, that's the spirit. Welcome to the event :highfive: . And you never know, with the point multipliers I'm hoping this contest will be fair to people who play longer games.

Hey I signed up but you didn't put me under participating! 

Am I that much of a 0% probability of winning that you don't even acknowledge me 

maxresdefault.jpg

Heh I missed it... Woops.. 

Take this cake as consolation 

679d1685a1798abc2d3f0e512ae1f389.jpg

Edited by Dav9834

10 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

Hey I signed up but you didn't put me under participating! 

Am I that much of a 0% probability of winning that you don't even acknowledge me 

maxresdefault.jpg

You're lucky he didn't move you back six places in the participant list for that mistake :P

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Urushiro said:

You're lucky he didn't move you back six places in the participant list for that mistake :P

14 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

Shhh don't give him ideas! :ninja:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor anime idea light bulb

I'm liking that idea a lot :awesome: .

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor anime evil laugh gif

On 25-12-2016 at 11:54 PM, Dav9834 said:

Thanks *munch, munch, munch*.

On 25-12-2016 at 0:32 PM, ericperez18 said:

Sign me up!

On 25-12-2016 at 5:43 PM, redcar200 said:

Sign me up please. Thanks for holding the event.

On 25-12-2016 at 11:28 PM, azlanslayer said:

Count me in! I'm interested in finishing my backlog and completing more games :D

Added, welcome to the event :highfive: .

• Like 1

Just to clarify, is the rule on top 50 times solid, or are really weird times excluded? I'm making a list with my backlog to try and avoid starting things that won't count next month, and some of these are just... questionable. I don't usually look at that page, so I have no idea what's reasonable/legit or not. I'm no speedrunner.  :dunno:

For example:

20-hour difference between the top two times for Lego Batman 2... when 2nd+ are all 22 hours or more.

Two <10 second times for Infamous: First Light (doesn't count anyway, but there've been a few similar).

Either way is fine, I'm just going to pick as I go anyway. At least my RPGs are holding steady at "days" for nearly everything so far.  :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SyIaris said:

Just to clarify, is the rule on top 50 times solid, or are really weird times excluded? I'm making a list with my backlog to try and avoid starting things that won't count next month, and some of these are just... questionable. I don't usually look at that page, so I have no idea what's reasonable/legit or not. I'm no speedrunner.  :dunno:

For example:

20-hour difference between the top two times for Lego Batman 2... when 2nd+ are all 22 hours or more.

Two <10 second times for Infamous: First Light (doesn't count anyway, but there've been a few similar).

Either way is fine, I'm just going to pick as I go anyway. At least my RPGs are holding steady at "days" for nearly everything so far.  :P

I was thinking of this as well. I'm not a speed runner either(FFVII excluded because I know that game front to back) 

I propose that we use a system commonly used where the first and last(top 50/20) times are removed, and the rest averaged. This eliminates the top hardcore speed runner, and the slowest(out of the top 50/20), which brings it to a more realistic time. This would only apply to games where the tier changes for the multiplier. 

SO4 would still be an instant win lol

Edited by Dav9834

37 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

I was thinking of this as well. I'm not a speed runner either(FFVII excluded because I know that game front to back) 

I propose that we use a system commonly used where the first and last(top 50/20) times are removed, and the rest averaged. This eliminates the top hardcore speed runner, and the slowest(out of the top 50/20), which brings it to a more realistic time. This would only apply to games where the tier changes for the multiplier. 

Games need to have 5+ hours in the top times, which basically means you need to look at the top 1-2; the multiplier's based on what guides list as the estimated time. Seems to work alright, some games just look like there are hackers at the top or something - I don't see how the two I linked are even possible, forget "hardcore".

The fastest players and the guides pretty much only overlap when there's a playtime trophy most people have to idle for, from what I've noticed today.

Huh, I didn't think SO4 would even be possible in a month, but the top times say otherwise. That's impressive, but for sanity's sake... nope, still not touching it.

Just now, SyIaris said:

Games need to have 5+ hours in the top times, which basically means you need to look at the top 1-2; the multiplier's based on what guides list as the estimated time. Seems to work alright, some games just look like there are hackers at the top or something - I don't see how the two I linked are even possible, forget "hardcore".

The fastest players and the guides pretty much only overlap when there's a playtime trophy most people have to idle for, from what I've noticed today.

Huh, I didn't think SO4 would even be possible in a month, but the top times say otherwise. That's impressive, but for sanity's sake... nope, still not touching it.

:facepalm: I forgot. I see what your saying. I forgot we were going by guide. But it's good that was brought up because even that's off, and has been complained about before. I'm wayyyy past 24 hours on Farcry primal. I have no idea where they got that number. 

And ya I wouldn't subject myself to a month of SO4 lol. I don't think I'd enjoy gaming anymore lol

On 27-12-2016 at 10:46 PM, PhantomOfThorns said:

Fxxk it, I'm planning on getting a bunch of plats in January anyways. Put me in coach! I-If that's okay...

Sure, that's ok.

On 28-12-2016 at 2:47 AM, Asvinia said:

Sign me up! 2017 is the year of earning plats~

11 hours ago, narutostrife said:

Sign me up please! I'm looking forward to this

Welcome to the event :highfive: .

6 hours ago, XX_FTW said:

Looking at the list of participants, I should turn tail and run right now. And rarity... Yikes. I'll join though as it'll be nice to have a place to report in on my year in gaming. And I just wanna see y'all duke it out.

Lol, good luck surviving the contest :lol: .

On 28-12-2016 at 0:11 AM, SyIaris said:

For example:

On 28-12-2016 at 1:29 AM, Dav9834 said:

When it's obvious a hacker is in the top 50, the game will count for the event. As for the Infamous First Light: IIRC that used to be some kind of bug on the PS4 where trophies would pop while downloading a game :hmm: . Something like that also doesn't exclude a game.

On 28-12-2016 at 1:29 AM, Dav9834 said:

Lol, you do realize creating an overview of all the average times for every eligible would take a tremendous amount of time and would also have to be checked regularly to see if it's still up-to-date, right :lol: ? Not sure about Zone and Mah2c, but I'm not willing to spend so much time on it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Lol, you do realize creating an overview of all the average times for every eligible would take a tremendous amount of time and would also have to be checked regularly to see if it's still up-to-date, right :lol: ? Not sure about Zone and Mah2c, but I'm not willing to spend so much time on it.

Ya that's the catch ;)  lol

1 hour ago, Dragon-Archon said:

When it's obvious a hacker is in the top 50, the game will count for the event. As for the Infamous First Light: IIRC that used to be some kind of bug on the PS4 where trophies would pop while downloading a game :hmm: . Something like that also doesn't exclude a game.

Nice, thanks for clearing that up.

Oh yeah, I think I remember seeing posts about that. I'd just gotten my PS3, so it didn't apply to me... completely forgot.

15 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

And here I thought I could coast by with a Hitman: Go plat. Unfortunately, my love for JRPGs sets me back in this instance. 

Though most JRPGs are also going to be worth a good amount of points with the time they take.  I'm actually looking at trying to do two JRPGs and a VN myself.

On 29-12-2016 at 5:48 AM, SyIaris said:

Nice, thanks for clearing that up.

Oh yeah, I think I remember seeing posts about that. I'd just gotten my PS3, so it didn't apply to me... completely forgot.

You're welcome :D . Good luck with the planning.

On 29-12-2016 at 8:46 AM, Edunstar84 said:

And here I thought I could coast by with a Hitman: Go plat. Unfortunately, my love for JRPGs sets me back in this instance. 

I'm hoping the point multiplier will make things fair for people who, like myself, play RPGs and JRPGs. Those should be worth quite a few points.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

1. If any games on your profile have been started before January 1 2017, they're only eligible if the completion rate is 5% or lower.

Wanna make that 10% or lower :awesome:

I really wanna play steins gate :'(

Edited by Dav9834