BLOPS: Declassified Professional Reviews < Average Gamer Reviews / Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified Review Roundup

Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-Declassified-Splash-Image-21.jpg

Alright, reviews are starting to come in for BLOPS: Declassified. I thought MOH: Warfighter got blasted, but NO.......Declassified is truly getting the shaft so to speak. GameInformer's Dan Ryckert reviewed the game and gave it a 3/10!!! I have never had much respect for his reviews after he gave the incredible and perfect Resistance 3 a mere 7!!! I am sure the "professional" reviewers will continue to trash this game, but overall I have heard nothing but good things about this game. The massive majority of users on Metacritic are giving the game highly favorable reviews. They say the game is fun, and as a Vita game, a must own. They say that had no positive expectations for the game, but Nihilistic N-stigate did a fantastic job on their last retail title. Even non-COD fans are saying it is suprisingly fun. If users on Metacritic are saying positive things about the game, then it must be good, because after all, metacritic users have been known to flat out TRASH COD games, just for the sake if trashing them. I don't care how much one hates COD, no COD is worth a 0 !!! lol Anyway, screw reviewers! I had a great time with Medal of Honor: Warfighter, and if would have listened to reviewers, I would not have bought the game, thus I will still go out and get a $50 dollar copy of Declassified tomorrow, and I will have a blast playing it I am sure. Anyway, guys, for fun and giggles, here is Gameinformers review below, but first go to Metacritic's site and read some of the extensive postive user reviews. Give this game a fair shake as professional reviewers, I now believe, suck and hold no water in my mind. On a side note, there are currently 85 positive users reviews on the game, and a mere 23 negative ones for an average score of 7.5. :) Finally, once I play through the game and possibly even once I get the platinum, I shall write my own review of the game. It may be 1-3 weeks though, so sit tight! ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Metacritic COD: BLOPS: Declassified User Reviews: http://www.metacriti...ed/user-reviews

GameInformer's Review can be also found at: http://www.gameinfor...ied-review.aspx

callofdutyblackopsdeclassifiedscreenshot1.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call Of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified

A Complete Embarrassment For Gaming's Biggest Franchise

by Dan Ryckert on November 14, 2012 at 03:42 PM

declassified610.jpg

(Funny how GameInformer uses images of the game back before the graphics were updated! Do I smell bias??? :ninja::lol: )

Nine months after the Vita launched in North America, it still doesn’t have its killer app. We have enjoyable titles like Tales From Space and Gravity Rush, but nothing has made the portable a must-have for mainstream audiences. Vita versions of the Uncharted, Resistance, and Assassin’s Creed franchises proved to be lackluster, but Sony has one last big name to draw on in 2012. If Call of Duty can’t move units for mainstream gamers, what can? Unfortunately, Declassified is an absolute mess.

Releasing on the same day as the solid Black Ops II, Declassified in no way resembles that game’s level of quality. Instead of an ambitious single-player campaign, this version offers gamers 10 standalone missions with no noteworthy story outside of the inclusion of Black Ops characters Mason, Woods, and Hudson. Imagine the mediocre Vita title Unit 13, then subtract most of the missions, throw in some broken geometry, and make the enemy A.I. literally suicidal. At one point, I saw a soldier throw a grenade directly at a wall, which then bounced back and killed him. In the same mission, an enemy was shooting at a nearby car that he was using for cover. He continued to do this until he died in a fiery explosion. Those are the more dramatic examples. Most enemy soldiers are content to hide behind a wall and fruitlessly shoot into it until they’re killed.

These 10 missions can be completed in about three or four minutes each. All told, I beat the primary single player mode in 42 minutes. A time-trial mode gives you a handful of obstacle courses (which I typically beat in under a minute), and the final mode is an uninspired horde clone. If you’re looking for a fun single-player shooter experience, you’d be hard pressed to find an experience less complete than Declassified.

It’s a shame, as the core mechanics tend to work more often than not. Aiming and shooting may not feel as tight as the console installments, but I rarely struggled to find my target. Outside of some goofy touch controls for throwing grenades and steadying my aim while sniping, these controls would have been acceptable if the rest of the game was anywhere close to decent.

Many Call of Duty fans flock to multiplayer first and foremost, but Declassified’s online play is far from a saving grace for this awful title. On launch day, I was rarely able to connect to a match. When I actually got into one, it was filled with enough glitches to make it unplayable.

After downloading a near 400 MB patch on the second day, I was able to connect more often. Even then, I was frequently kicked out of lobbies to a background screen that I couldn’t exit out of (forcing me to restart the system). When it does work, multiplayer features many of the series’ trademarks. You can create classes, customize killstreaks, unlock new weapons, and equip perks. All of this is on a much smaller scale than its console brothers, however. Customization isn’t the only thing that’s been whittled down, as the maps are claustrophobic and uninspired battlegrounds.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified is appalling. In dramatic fashion, it completely fails to live up to the high bar of quality gamers expect from the Call of Duty name. It’s also a discouraging sign for gamers like me who shelled out $250 for a Vita in the hopes of console-quality experiences on handheld. I can’t recommend Declassified to anyone; casual FPS players and Call of Duty fans alike will recognize the train wreck Nihilistic Software has developed.

NOTE: I am still waiting for IGN's Review and Gamespot's as well until this post is complete.

Edited by Vote Mitt Romney

Well, I'm certainly not surprised at this since (besides Daniel), no one was seriously anticipating this. Also, if this game doesn't have a real campaign and zombies, why not release this as a digital $14.99 spin-off?

Anyways, critics/reviewers are less than comprehending. They claim Mass Effect 3 features a "worthy conclusion to a stellar franchise." What?! I'll listen to a review out of curiousty, but I don't take them seriously.

• Like 1

Well, I'm certainly not surprised at this since (besides Daniel), no one was seriously anticipating this. Also, if this game doesn't have a real campaign and zombies, why not release this as a digital $14.99 spin-off?

Anyways, critics/reviewers are less than comprehending. They claim Mass Effect 3 features a "worthy conclusion to a stellar franchise." What?! I'll listen to a review out of curiousty, but I don't take them seriously.

Same here! I only go to reviews out of curiousity, but they rarely if ever influence my decision!

It's not going to win GotY and it wasn't suppose to be a console experience on a handheld. I got what I expected, a capable portable CoD experience that plays nicely and I can play it on my toilet while blasting online foes. Anyone thinking it was going to be like the console versions are just plain stupid.

Edited by PSN_Tokeio

It's not going to win GotY and it wasn't suppose to be a console experience on a handheld. I got what I expected, a capable portable CoD experience that plays nicely and I can play it on my toilet while blasting online foes. Anyone thinking it was going to be like the console versions are just plain stupid.

Not really, at one point the devs. or spokesperson had said there was a full fledged campaign bridging the gap between Black Ops and Black Ops II. This is being published by a dominating FPS publisher, Activision, and should have put some serious thought as to how this will represent there franchise on a "serious" handheld marketed for hardcore gamers. While I might have said no one was seriously anticipating this game, that doesn't mean the quality and quantity shouldn't have been any less than the newest installment released on the consoles.

Finally, once I play through the game and possibly even once I get the platinum, I shall write my own review of the game. It may be 1-3 weeks though, so sit tight! ;)

Planned on doing my own little review series, a sort of spiritual successor to Pie's Reviews in some ways. With little success from my Warfighter one (that just happened on the fly and with no thought), I'm going to have to improve and hopefully can squeeze out a Black Ops II or Hitman: Absolution. But who knows? It could be an older game or a newer game. Only time will tell ;)

Finally the reviewers are giving CoD the scores it deserved back when MW2 came out... but it's just a vita game but still, Im happy the game got scored so low, should bring all the butthurt fanboys out... (the console counterpart didnt fare too well either..)

• Like 2

Planned on doing my own little review series, a sort of spiritual successor to Pie's Reviews in some ways. With little success from my Warfighter one (that just happened on the fly and with no thought), I'm going to have to improve and hopefully can squeeze out a Black Ops II or Hitman: Absolution. But who knows? It could be an older game or a newer game. Only time will tell ;)

Cool, but I have two questions. Are you saying that you were going to review this game? If so, I will back off as I was not trying to step on anyone's toes, and specifically not yours!!! :) Secondly and finally, whatever happened to Pie's Reviews??? Are you saying that he has left the site? A successor typically means the predecessor has left the scene so to speak.

Finally the reviewers are giving CoD the scores it deserved back when MW2 came out... but it's just a vita game but still, Im happy the game got scored so low, should bring all the butthurt fanboys out... (the console counterpart didnt fare too well either..)

I get that you like Battlefield, but you are just wrong. For example, IGN gave MW3 a 9, but they gave BLOPS II a 9.3 while saying it was the best COD to date with the best campaign, multiplayer, co-op. etc. COD is getting better and better, and the reviewers are actually getting it right. Have you even played any recent COD? I am asking that seriously.

Also, I do not care who hates COD, no console COD game is worth anything less than an 8.5. If you look at the market, no other game does it better or is as polished. Ignore the franchise name and all that comes with it, and you would have to admit the games are truly solid and top of the line / cream of the crop.

Edited by Vote Mitt Romney

Cool, but I have two questions. Are you saying that you were going to review this game? If so, I will back off as I was not trying to step on anyone's toes, and specifically not yours!!! :) Secondly and finally, whatever happened to Pie's Reviews??? Are you saying that he has left the site? A successor typically means the predecessor has left the scene so to speak.

Haha, I certainly will not attempt Black Ops: Declassified, that's all yours as I don't have a Vita :P. As for Pie, I honestly do not know what happened to him at all. He hasn't logged into the site for quite awhile and his trophies haven't shown up with anything new. BeautifulTorment could possibly know, but I'm not quite sure... Until he comes back, I guess a few of us will take over his little scheme?

I get that you like Battlefield, but you are just wrong. For example, IGN gave MW3 a 9, but they gave BLOPS II a 9.3 while saying it was the best COD to date with the best campaign, multiplayer, co-op. etc. COD is getting better and better, and the reviewers are actually getting it right. Have you even played any recent COD? I am asking that seriously.

Also, I do not care who hates COD, no console COD game is worth anything less than an 8.5. If you look at the market, no other game does it better or is as polished. Ignore the franchise name and all that comes with it, and you would have to admit the games are truly solid and top of the line / cream of the crop.

I did not mention any other game at all.... I have played CoD 1, 2, 3, MW, MW2, MW3, and Black Ops (1). I have played all of them on PC, not PS3, (with the exception of MW2 on PS3, and going to friends and playing CoD) and have finished every single campaign of the above games listed and put hours into the online of each game.. (again, on PC and at friends houses)

I think I am well educated enough to easily see the bias reviewers, I mean c'mon, it even uses the same god damn animations and textures from CoD 4, go and throw an grenade in CoD 4 and tell me it looks different to the throwing animation of BO2... The textures are heavily outdated and they uses fancy motion blur and ripple effects to warp the view of these and people don't notice...

Again, I'm not saying any other game is better than CoD, but it fustrates me when people fail to realise how poor of a job the developers do in developing a NEW (by new i mean, not using the same code) game.

I'm actually kinda surprised by this. Some sites are usually payed to give it a 9.5 or whatever like IGNorant. GameInformer almost always had high scores for Camp or Die. Watch Black Ops II get a 9.5... I'll shit my pants off if it gets a 6. Oh and I can already predict what happens.

HA.jpg

I guess I'll look into getting it on Black Friday with my 20% employee discount at my shithole of a job. :rolleyes: NO COD GAME IS WORTH $60.

• Like 1

I did not mention any other game at all.... I have played CoD 1, 2, 3, MW, MW2, MW3, and Black Ops (1). I have played all of them on PC, not PS3, (with the exception of MW2 on PS3, and going to friends and playing CoD) and have finished every single campaign of the above games listed and put hours into the online of each game.. (again, on PC and at friends houses)

I think I am well educated enough to easily see the bias reviewers, I mean c'mon, it even uses the same god damn animations and textures from CoD 4, go and throw an grenade in CoD 4 and tell me it looks different to the throwing animation of BO2... The textures are heavily outdated and they uses fancy motion blur and ripple effects to warp the view of these and people don't notice...

Again, I'm not saying any other game is better than CoD, but it fustrates me when people fail to realise how poor of a job the developers do in developing a NEW (by new i mean, not using the same code) game.

I'm interested in how you played COD 3 on PC?

MW3 was shit compared to MW2. I actually had fun while playing MW2 online. MW3's mp lost it's fun. Every room had retards laying prone in front of the door, it takes me an entire clip to kill someone while they kill me with 2 bullets etc... I'd say the only thing I liked about MW3 was the Survival and how they tried to make Spec Ops more popular like Zombies. (Zombies is garbage. I don't understand how people like that.) The Spec Ops in MW2 was better though :/ Oh and if you played BF3 and MW3, you could easily identify BF3 as the superior game. Hell, I'd rather go back to playing BFBC2: Vietnam any day over COD. Last COD game I truly loved was WAW and that is pretty much a ghost town now.

Edited by Electoral College

PCSX2

????????

MW3 was shit compared to MW2. I actually had fun while playing MW2 online. MW3's mp lost it's fun. Every room had retards laying prone in front of the door, it takes me an entire clip to kill someone while they kill me with 2 bullets etc... I'd say the only thing I liked about MW3 was the Survival and how they tried to make Spec Ops more popular like Zombies. (Zombies is garbage. I don't understand how people like that.) The Spec Ops in MW2 was better though :/ Oh and if you played BF3 and MW3, you could easily identify BF3 as the superior game. Hell, I'd rather go back to playing BFBC2: Vietnam any day over COD. Last COD game I truly loved was WAW and that is pretty much a ghost town now.

BFBC2 was probably the best Battlefield ever (multiplayer wise) :D

Hmmmm......I see. I just get tired of people saying copy and paste. Sure things are very similar, but it is a franchise and most games within franchises are the same. MLB The Show, Uncharted, Jak, Ratchet and Clank......the animations may be the same or similar, but the locations, weapons, and story is always different and fresh, and so is COD's in my opinion. Just because the same code is used, does NOT mean COD games take no effort to develop. These games have so much original content, that it blows all other FPSs out of the market.

P.S. Battlefield has alot of the same animations as BF3, yet both games are still sick!!! :D Finally, the latest COD games look graphically better than COD 4, and they significantly improve. For instance, BLOPS 1 Zombies look way more crisp than W@W zombies.

P.S. Battlefield has alot of the same animations as BF3, yet both games are still sick!!! :D Finally, the latest COD games look graphically better than COD 4, and they significantly improve. For instance, BLOPS 1 Zombies look way more crisp than W@W zombies.

BF3 is on an entirely different engine to BFBC 2 and BFBC... COD4-now are the exact same engine... so your statement saying they are the same is completely false.

BF3 is on an entirely different engine to BFBC 2 and BFBC... COD4-now are the exact same engine... so your statement saying they are the same is completely false.

I have played and platinumed both games, and they look the same. The only difference is the level of destructability IMO.

I can't say I'm surprised by the poor reviews, but I am disappointed. A true CoD game on the Vita would have been a huge selling point for the system but Nhilistic just used the name as a cash grab.

Parker

You liked Burning Skies, yet reviewers trashed that game. All I am saying is that the majority of users say it is a phenomenal shooter for the Vita, and a must buy. Try it, and you probably will like it!!! :D

Just to revisit a point you made in the original post, Dan. You say that people on metacritic trash COD titles just for the sake of trashing COD titles? Ever stop to think that maybe they are just bad games overall? MW3 was a horrendous mess, that's probably why people on metacritic scored it as such.

• Like 2

Just to revisit a point you made in the original post, Dan. You say that people on metacritic trash COD titles just for the sake of trashing COD titles? Ever stop to think that maybe they are just bad games overall? MW3 was a horrendous mess, that's probably why people on metacritic scored it as such.

Then again, wasn't there is whole,"Battlefield sucks CoD's big balls," type deal going on. There was a whole fan-boy internet retard rage going on all over the internet during last year's releases of the "BIG" hits. MW3 was awful though.... It's pretty much a copy and paste of MW2 just with a new texture pack.

Battlefield uses the same animations as Battlefield 3?? :P

I honestly thought Modern Warfare 3 was terrible. Even on it's own merits and not the name brand, it's still the cliche, generic FPS we've seen released every few months. Nothing new was done, survival was tacked on to have an equivalent of zombies, and the MP just had an HD remastered type look to it. I think Treyarch should take over the COD brand as they always release the best ones and actually innovate and bring something new to the table. Infinity Ward's time is up. B)

I have played and platinumed both games, and they look the same. The only difference is the level of destructability IMO.

Well then you need to open your eyes? I did say COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ENGINE... when you have a game on a DIFFERENT ENGINE you need to REBUILD everything instead of REUSE IT.... I find it rather disturbing that someone could completely miss that fact while playing a game... saying they're the same is like saying CoD 3 and CoD 4 is the same....

Are you fucking blind?

Calm down, but you do have to admit, DICE uses the same color pallete for both games as they both look colorless and bland.

Well then you need to open your eyes? I did say COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ENGINE... when you have a game on a DIFFERENT ENGINE you need to REBUILD everything instead of REUSE IT.... I find it rather disturbing that someone could completely miss that fact while playing a game... saying they're the same is like saying CoD 3 and CoD 4 is the same....

Well... Essentially they're not, as they are both built upon from the previous Frostbite engine. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 featured Frostbite Engine 1.5 while Battlefield 3 featured Frostbite Engine 2.0. Call of Duty does this as well since they've IW Engine 3.0, 2.0, 4.0, etc. Unless it's a game that was developed on the Unreal Engine and then moved on to Frostbite, then you can talk. B)

Calm down, but you do have to admit, DICE uses the same color pallete for both games as they both look colorless and bland.

Well... Essentially they're not, as they are both built upon from the previous Frostbite engine. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 featured Frostbite Engine 1.5 while Battlefield 3 featured Frostbite Engine 2.0. Call of Duty does this as well since they've IW Engine 3.0, 2.0, 4.0, etc. Unless it's a game that was developed on the Unreal Engine and then moved on to Frostbite, then you can talk. B)

Because real world war looks bright and colourful? makes sense...

AND, the frostbite engine was SIGNIFICANTLY improved over the course of the 3 iterations of the series the jumps of physics tweaks in the frostbite engine is rather obvious, I don't see why you are comparing Battlefield to CoD when that is not the point of anything I am saying.. but the engine behind CoD is all minor tweaks, nothing really notable was improved, CoD nowadays is a very Technically unimpressive game.

E: I also noticed you refer to ''both'' battlefield games... my point exactly.

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1