Elite: Dangerous Out 27Jun

damon8r351

Elite: Dangerous is coming to PS4 in 2Q2017 after being an Xbox and PC exclusive for so long. This space exploration game is very much an MMO and very PvP, so people who enjoy that sort of experience will get plenty of it. Lots of Han Solo-style cargo trading and bounty hunting if you want it. For you exploration types, don't expect an experience like No Man's Sky, because Elite is very much hard science fiction, so planets you can land on are mundane and visually unremarkable, just like in real life. The setting is the actual Milky Way Galaxy, so you can visit our Solar System if you like, just get ready to run if you aren't aligned with the right faction. Achievement list is linked here, so you can see what to expect. If the trophy list is similar, you can expect to have to journey to Sagittarius A*, the radio source at the center of the galaxy that's theorized to be a supermassive black hole, if you want the platinum.

Personally, I hope the game will have HOTAS support. Spaceflight simulators are a pain in the ass on a standard controller, and Elite is a bit...complicated.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Wow, they are actually porting it? Can't say I expected it.

David Braben said long time ago he was going to do it, he just had to wait until the exclusivity deal ran out. The reason he's been blowing smoke for so long is because I bet part of the deal was that he had to keep his mouth shut about it.

• 3 months later...

Some info about the PS4 release as of March 10th.

-Will be a digital only release. Retail will be available.

-Will include both the basic game and the content from the Horizons Season Pass.

-Will support the Pro and 4K.

-Will support use of a USB keyboard for text input.

-Will support use of Joysticks, but so far only Thrustmaster brand announced. More later.

-No cross platform connectivity with PC and Xbox players upon release, and no way of accessing your CMDRs, ships, cosmetic items from other platforms. You'll have to start from the ground up.

-No VR support upon release, but it's something they want to support later on.

Edited by damon8r351

• 1 month later...

As someone who played it on PC, lemme tell you guys, it's far from an MMO in the typical socialization aspect.  "massive multiplayer" might be true, but don't expect to run into other players that often.

It's more of a space flight simulator game than anything, so don't expect a whole lot of combat. 

It's fun learning to land the ships in docks and stuff.  I went and bought myself a HOTAS setup but don't have the proper desk/chair to support it properly.  So at that point I gave up playing.