Did FFXV live up to its hype?

Alantor32

FFXV got off to a good start with 59 positive reviews on Metacritic and sold 690k copies in Japan and 79% of copies on the UK, but there are some idiots in certain trolling forums that will say it is a flop and saying crap like FF is dead and Motoru Toriyama should be director of next mainline FF game and saying XIII is better than XV.

So I'm asking you this, did FFXV live up to its hype and its sales numbers (690K in Japan and 79% copies sold in UK) are good?

14 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

So I'm asking you this, did FFXV live up to its hype and its sales numbers (690K in Japan and 79% copies sold in UK) are good?

I think seeking approval for things you enjoy is a pointless endeavor. Like what you want. Screw everyone else's opinion if they don't like what you do. You don't need others validation.

• Like 4

Just now, DaivRules said:

I think seeking approval for things you enjoy is a pointless endeavor. Like what you want. Screw everyone else's opinion if they don't like what you do. You don't need others validation.

Thanks. I know I will enjoy FFXV when I get it, I shouldn't let negative opinions stop me from enjoying things they hate on.

• Like 1

Just now, DaivRules said:

Yeah, people are totally overreacting to negative views on this game. Basically, what I've been seeing (and I'm NOT saying the OP is doing the same, just stating a fact), everyone who doesn't sing praises to it is a troll. I don't like this attitude as much as trolling itself. I'm glad FFXV is doing well, and I'm glad it appears to be a solid, worthy addition to the franchise. People need to stop caring so much about what other people think about the things they enjoy.

Why do you even care about "some idiots in certain trolling forums" so much?

It's not like all of them are trolling though. I, personally, find XV mediocre at best. I detest SE marketing policy, all those movie/mobile game/browser dlc stuff and yes I think XIII is better than XV, does that make me a troll?

Don't get me wrong, I would buy it later on (when they fix things here and there, finish adding stuff they didnt manage to add before release, put all 10000000+ DLC in one GOTY edition), but yeah, opinions.

13 minutes ago, Xeliot said:

Hype = unrealistic expectations 

That's true, but not all people are hyped for things that are expected by people who are looking forward to. There will always be haters and trolls who bash things they deem terribad or think it will suck.

1 minute ago, MMX20 said:

That's true, but not all people are hyped for things that are expected by people who are looking forward to. There will always be haters and trolls who bash things they deem terribad or think it will suck.

Well, trolls are unavoidable with every major game release, they hate games that are popular because everyone likes them and they don't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMX20 said:

...saying XIII is better than XV.

In ways, primarily in terms of narrative, it is. FFXV did a much better job dealing with its main protagonists, but as far as giving a logical plot that flows properly XV feel apart horribly while XIII didn't. If XV had taken the item to explain and give proper context to much of the conflict and gave time to flesh out certain plot points then I would be arguing that XV was better, but at the moment that isn't the case. (Also Square said a lot of things in development that simply weren't true, such as the idea that Noctis and Luna will have a complex relationship explored in XV).

As to the topic of the thread, it lived up in terms of the gameplay and exploration, but the story unfortunately didn't come close. Still a good game.

Edited by TheAveryChu

5 minutes ago, TheAveryChu said:

In ways, primarily in terms of narrative, it is. FFXV did a much better job dealing with its main protagonists, but as far as giving a logical plot that flows properly XV feel apart horribly while XIII didn't. If XV had taken the item to explain and give proper context to much of the conflict and gave time to flesh out certain plot points then I would be arguing that XV was better, but at the moment that isn't the case. (Also Square said a lot of things in development that simply weren't true, such as the idea that Noctis and Luna will have a complex relationship explored in XV).

As to the topic of the thread, it lived up in terms of the gameplay and exploration, but the story unfortunately didn't come close. Still a good game.

While I agree that the story of the game is questionable, I also agree with your points on gameplay and exploration and I also agree it is a good game.

Just now, MMX20 said:

While I agree that the story of the game is questionable, I also agree with your points on gameplay and exploration and I also agree it is a good game.

I hope this doesn't become commonplace, but I am hoping that in time Square will be able to address some of the story issues in future updates, and maybe then the story will be up to the same standard as the rest of the game. 

Just now, TheAveryChu said:

I hope this doesn't become commonplace, but I am hoping that in time Square will be able to address some of the story issues in future updates, and maybe then the story will be up to the same standard as the rest of the game. 

SE did say they will make updates to the game next year, so yeah, I think they will work on some of the story issues in future updates (I hope you're right about the story updates in future updates.).

2 hours ago, MMX20 said:

FFXV got off to a good start with 59 positive reviews on Metacritic and sold 690k copies in Japan and 79% of copies on the UK, but there are some idiots in certain trolling forums that will say it is a flop and saying crap like FF is dead and Motoru Toriyama should be director of next mainline FF game and saying XIII is better than XV.

While I can't say anything about the content of the game, from a business perspective, I'd say it succeeded. I'm certainly more excited to play it now, and that was not the case before release.

• Like 1

Just now, starcrunch061 said:

While I can't say anything about the content of the game, from a business perspective, I'd say it succeeded. I'm certainly more excited to play it now, and that was not the case before release.

That's true, the gameply and characters are amazing and I can get why people are complaining about the story in the game, so SE is responding to that by making updates to the game next year to make improvements including possibly the story.

50 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

SE did say they will make updates to the game next year, so yeah, I think they will work on some of the story issues in future updates (I hope you're right about the story updates in future updates.).

I don't think we should expect any major tweaks. The story, in its current form, is unpatchable as far as I'm concerned. The creators' vision was simply too ambitious. To me it feels as if they built this amazing world, mythology, conflicts and characters and then somewhere along the line, the whole thing just collapsed under its own weight and they started trimming all of the fat. The result is a disjointed and yet oddly straight-to-the-point character piece that rushes the protagonists through a number of core setpieces at breakneck speed without giving anything else room to breathe. I can't comment on the second half of the story yet, but from what I've heard, things don't exactly get less messy.

In some ways, this feels like a return to the simple, yet at times confusing storytelling of the earliest FF games, and people still remember those fondly, so who knows.

• Like 1

I bought the deluxe edition, watched all the anime eps and even watched that awful, awful movie. I was ready to overlook a few flaws as this game has obviously had a rocky development, and I am a HUGE fan of this series... This is a decent game - I even got the plat. The story, however, is inexcusably bad. The pacing is just all over the place. Sections have obviously been cut out or left to the side for DLC, and there is so little personality to the wider cast as most characters outside of the main four or so have about 10-20 lines of dialogue max. Characters which seem core to the plot have ONE scene. There are so many characters and plot twists introduced and dropped unceremoniously I thought someone was playing a joke on me.

I'm sorry, but if you have a game with a heavy focus on story, release it finished. People paying $60/£40 or whatever have gone through the game and experienced the plot with the realisation that they've sat through a poorly paced, half-baked story which was obviously put out a year early - at best. Promising to patch the story is an insult for people who don't necessarily have the time to sit down for another 20-30 hours to sit through another 5-10 minutes of exposition (at best) that should have been there in the first place. That is incredibly shitty for the consumer to have the deal with when this was obviously released now to maximise sales for the holiday season. This game's story from start to finish has a lot of problems.

I'm certainly looking forward to FF16 despite all this, but hopefully without Tabata on board. This game just fails so badly with fundamental storytelling and it was painful to sit through the second half of this game. I'd certainly recommend playing it - it has its moments - but hold off on calling other people 'trolls' (though there are quite a few on both sides) who have a lot of problems with this game and experience it for yourself.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, deepwater324 said:

From what I've seen, it looks like a game worth playing. But my favorite thing about 15 is watching people on a certain message board lose their minds about it. My favorite quote is, "Anything less than a 95 metacritic score isn't worth anyone's time."

Are you referring to Gamefaqs? I really hate that site. Those idiots at the Gamefaqs FF boards are complete morons save for a few sane few.

• Like 2