Are modders welcome in Gaming Sessions?

Word to all,

At the risk of publicizing cheaters and helping more people cheat by drawing attention to ones that help them do so I've created this thread out of confusion. I know there are separate rules for forums and gaming sessions as far as language go but does this also apply to cheaters? I'm somewhat irritated by the recent increase in people offering help modding for trophies in the GTA IV gaming sessions. I know it's none of my business in a sense, but as a member who appreciates legitimacy am worried that we may see an increase in the number of hackers offering help in gaming sessions. I personally find this quite distasteful. Let it be noted that all the online trophies can be earned legit or by boosting for GTA IV at this point in time but that unpatched glitches do exist to speed up certain parts of the online experience. The reasoning behind cheating in this case seems to be "because it saves grinding". I know the site also frowns upon naming and shaming but am wondering what others think about this. I also realize this thread will likely be locked but am hoping to get a concrete reply for future reference on whether or not modding in gaming sessions is OK or not and what to do when a modder joins a session since there is no report button. Any help would be appreciated. Since some of you may have no idea what i'm referring to, here are the sessions in question:

https://psnprofiles.com/session/107117-grand-theft-auto-iv

https://psnprofiles.com/session/107376-grand-theft-auto-iv

https://psnprofiles.com/session/107454-grand-theft-auto-iv

Thanks,

PB55

edit: oops, i think i put this in forum games by accident...haha...new site noob...oh well, now it's a game...

Edited by ProfBambam55
wrong forum...

http://i67.tinypic.com/bhhogx.jpg Comments part 1

http://i66.tinypic.com/iodzqa.jpg Comments part 2

^ to avoid naming and shaming

In reply to your arguments here:

1. There will not be a rise in modding help being offered for two reasons, the first being that you cannot in any way mod the next gen systems and the second being that 99.9% of mods dont in any way affect how fast you get trophies and in fact they don't affect trophies in any way. 2. This isn't cheating, this is saving time. In the case of the Wanted trophy you are still "boosting" (as you put it), except you receive the money at a faster rate. In the case of Fly the co-op, teleportation allows you to save around 10 minutes in total, but you must still complete the missions in their entirety. (Fly the co-op and Wanted are the only two online trophies that can be sped up via mods in GTA IV, as for single player using cheat codes is way more useful mods, an annihilator is the best way to get around and spawning the NRG900 is pretty useful too for stunt jumps, spawning those vehicles with cheat codes is faster than via a mod menu). Oh and there aren't any other games I 

2. Not every person that has mods uses them for griefing purposes. You are generalising (as has been said in those comments). There are also COUNTLESS modding communities out there that have become huge. Look at Garry's Mod, it became its own standalone game, same with Day Z. In games like GTA IV and V on the PC modding is actually encouraged and the community has created some outstanding mods. In Just Cause 2 there was a mod that allowed you to have a multiplayer mode, a feature missing from the original game. 

Edited by damienjablonski
Fixing typos and adding more sentences

I didn't read the full discussion on the third thread and I'm going to start stating my opinion on Wanted trophy and that trophy alone.

I spent 40h doing that AFK. FORTY HOURS GRINDING CASH (that was my side only, there was more 40h for my partner and then 40h more ThiagoLevi which I carried through this)! That if you ignore the 15 other hours I spent doing the chopper mission in around 1:40 min. I could have been spending that much time playing other things instead of grinding a retarded ammount of cash to get max rank.

You wanna know what I think? Mod that shit in 10 minutes. I'm not an elitist, the grind is horrible beyond measure, I don't want ANYONE to go through what I did. Mod the living shit out of it. I actually have given advice to a lot of people in the past through status update replies to attempt a few hours of legit online gameplay in order to find a mod and hit that value out of luck. I have no regrets, it's a retarded trophy.

I don't know if there was help offered for Fly The Coop, I just saw that name popping up and regarding that, I have a different opinion. I've been doing carries for years now (which I believe is the same thing OP here has been doing, so we are in the same both regarding that). Don't mod that. That trophy isn't nearly as painful, it's pretty doable once you know what to do and what path you should take. Back when I got it, I pratically 2 manned all missions with CaliNik(some numbers here) and it was like the best trophy experience we had in a very long fucking time. Dealbreaker (is that the name?) was the most intense killing and running mission I've ever completed, taking me around 12h of attempts until we did it. We crash landed at the house in the end, I have no regrets. Don't mod that. Takes around 3h to achieve that starting from scratch if the players being carried are pretty bad. If they are good and experienced, less than one. Don't mod it.

And AWP? Don't mod it either. Sure takes time, but it's pretty straightforward. I know it can glitch, but then again, it's pretty straightforward. Just try again and get it done.

Edited by TheYuriG
  • Like 1

It depends on the type of trophy hunter you are. If you are the type to get as many trophies as soon as possible, you may want to go mod to save time. If you are the type that go for the challenge that comes with the trophy, you will not. It all depends on how much time you are willing to spend. Personally, I would not use a mod to get a time consuming trophy.

To each their own.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

I didn't read the full discussion on the third thread and I'm going to state my opinion on Wanted trophy and that trophy alone.

I spent 40h doing that AFK. FORTY HOURS GRINDING CASH! That if you ignore the 15 other hours I spent doing the chopper mission in around 1:40 min. I could have been spending that much time playing other things instead of grinding a retarded ammount of cash to get max rank.

You wanna know what I think? Mod that shit in 10 minutes. I'm not an elitist, the grind is horrible beyond measure, I don't want ANYONE to go through what I did. Mod the living shit out of it. I actually have given advice to a lot of people in the past through status update replies to attempt a few hours of legit online gameplay in order to find a mod and hit that value out of luck. I have no regrets, it's a retarded trophy.

I don't know if there was help offered for Fly The Coop, I just saw that name popping up and regarding that, I have a different opinion. I've been doing carries for years now (which I believe is the same thing OP here has been doing, so we are in the same both regarding that). Don't mod that. That trophy isn't nearly as painful, it's pretty doable once you know what to do and what path you should take. Back when I got it, I pratically 2 manned all missions with CaliNik(some numbers here) and it was like the best trophy experience we had in a very long fucking time. Dealbreaker (is that the name?) was the most intense killing and running mission I've ever completed, taking me around 12h of attempts until we did it. We crash landed at the house in the end, I have no regrets. Don't mod that. Takes around 3h to achieve that starting from scratch if the players being carried are pretty bad. If they are good and experienced, less than one. Don't mod it.

And AWP? Don't mod it either. Sure takes time, but it's pretty straightforward. I know it can glitch, but then again, it's pretty straightforward. Just try again and get it done.

AWP can't be modded ;) And yes, Fly the co-op is pretty easy if you're good at the game 

22 minutes ago, Urushiro said:

I'd PM @Sly Ripper next time you see a session like this to avoid possible naming and shaming. He'll probably see your post, so you won't need to PM him this time.

Since the leaderboards remove hackers, I'd say it's safe to assume that this kind of discussion is not allowed here.

The leaderboards on GTA IV have been down for over a year and will stay that way forever on the PS3(due to GameSpy being shut down if I remember correctly). In fact, Wanted was unobtainable for a short period of time because of this but an update made it so that your rank is now tied to your game save rather than the leaderboards and the trophy is once again obtainable. 

More typos

i agree with you completely Yuri, but it's not quite what i'm asking...wouldn't discourage people from hitting up public sessions for wanted in hopes of finding a modder if that's their cup of tea and have no problem with people searching YT/the net looking for modders...as a matter of fact you will not see me commenting in those sessions...you also won't see me online trying to report/ban all hackers from existence or commenting on YT pages and cheater websites...if there's a hacker in a public online gta iv lobby, i'll leave without hesitation and that will be where it ends...are we welcoming people to publicize modding on this site in gaming sessions is the question and if yes, where do we draw the line?...many games have grindy trophies is auto-popping ok too if it saves me dozens/100's of hours of grinding?...should there be a vote of which trophies are acceptable to be modded or not?...my point is that cheating is cheating...i don't like it in any part of the site if it involves hacking and modding...unpatched glitches/boosting another story altogether which perhaps can be discussed in another thread...

Edited by ProfBambam55

6 minutes ago, damienjablonski said:

The leaderboards on GTA IV have been down for over a year and will stay that way forever on the PS3(due to GameSpy being shut down if I remember correctly). In fact, Wanted was unobtainable for a short period of time because of this but an update made it so that your rank is now tied to your game save rather than the leaderboards and the trophy is once again obtainable. 

I was referring to the leaderboards on the website. Once people are flagged on a game, they're removed from the leaderboards on here.

17 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

i agree with you completely Yuri, but it's not quite what i'm asking...wouldn't discourage people from hitting up public sessions for wanted in hopes of finding a modder if that's their cup of tea and have no problem with people searching YT/the net looking for modders...you won't see me online trying to report/ban all hackers from existence or commenting on YT pages and cheater websites...if there's a hacker in a public session, i'll leave without hesitation...are we welcoming people to publicize modding on this site in gaming sessions is the question and if yes, where do we draw the line?...many games have grindy trophies is auto-popping ok too if it saves me dozens/100's of hours of grinding?...should there be a vote of which trophies are acceptable to be modded or not?...my point is that cheating is cheating...i don't like it in any part of the site if it involves hacking and modding...unpatched glitches another story altogether which perhaps can be discussed in another thread...

16 minutes ago, Urushiro said:

I was referring to the leaderboards on the website. Once people are flagged on a game, they're removed from the leaderboards on here.

Auto popping isn't what's being done here (there is no reason to be flagged and no reason to be removed from the leaderboards) and as has been said, you are reducing the Wanted trophy to take about 10 minutes instead of a week or so of grinding (all in all the IV mods only affect one trophy in a big way which is Wanted because of how much time you save in this particular case). The odds of you getting Wanted accidentally through being given money drops by a random modder are pretty high on IV as well and it has happened to many, many people. 

The way I look at it is and also why I started offering help is because it's an old game with a terrible trophy. (Wanted is mainly what I wanted to speed up for people), so many people have already received the trophy through money drops already and people have actually PAID for this service, since Wanted is a grind barrier between the player and the platinum trophy. Keep in mind that the trophy was unobtainable for a while. What if that were to happen again and people end up without any way to obtain the platinum? Get it while you can.

I had a player come up to me while I was working GTAIV plat that he can mod me the trophies. Pretty annoying since he didn't understand what me and my partner were after. I had already hit lvl 10 so he couldn't money pop that for me but seeing how he teleported himself, me, objects etc. and shot rockets infinetly in a free roam session, this might be used to clear CO-OPs in seconds. This most likely will work in Team CJC, MW etc.

Edited by totallycrushed

Just now, PhilDeezEnYuTees said:

Once you condone this behavior, you cannot pick and choose what is ok to mod. Modding to pop trophies is hacking the trophy open. Would you flag my Warhawk plat if somebody modded my rank from rookie to general? If all those ranked trophies popped within a minute, you'd flag my ass in a heartbeat. There are modders who can do that on Warhawk. Who are you to say that one mod to hack open a certain trophy but not others? Who gets to choose which ones are ok?

I'd be flagged to hell with CODs if they would have rank trophies, there's so many modded lobbies across the games. Fortunately haven't been in one in BO2... yet...

15 minutes ago, totallycrushed said:

I had a player come up to me while I was working GTAIV plat that he can mod me the trophies. Pretty annoying since he didn't understand what me and my partner were after. I had already hit lvl 10 so he couldn't money pop that for me but seeing how he teleported himself, me, objects etc. and shot rockets infinetly in a free roam session, this might be used to clear CO-OPs in seconds. This most likely will work in Team CJC, MW etc.

CO-OPs still take some time if you teleport directly to objectives (Hangman's Noose takes about 2m, Dealbreaker about 5m, Bomb da Base II about 4m30s), as for winning the other game modes that's true but the chances are everyone will leave the session prior to the modder being able to win (which means that match does not count as a win) which is a good thing. I don't condone of using mods this way, those are mods that affect some players in a negative manner which is why I don't offer help in such ways.

14 minutes ago, PhilDeezEnYuTees said:

Once you condone this behavior, you cannot pick and choose what is ok to mod. Modding to pop trophies is hacking the trophy open. Would you flag my Warhawk plat if somebody modded my rank from rookie to general? If all those ranked trophies popped within a minute, you'd flag my ass in a heartbeat. There are modders who can do that on Warhawk. Who are you to say that one mod to hack open a certain trophy but not others? Who gets to choose which ones are ok?

The trophy is not being hack opened (I think you are talking about auto popping, that is not what we're doing here), the way it is works is that money drops have an increased value, allowing you to reach level 10 in one match. This does not instantly pop the trophy either, you have to complete another match after that for it to appear.

I think that trophies that take ~40 hours of grinding like Wanted on an 8 year old game are ok to speed up via mods, that being said, I can't think of any other trophies like that which you can get faster with mods..

1 minute ago, PhilDeezEnYuTees said:

I'm pretty sure I stated that it was my opinion, not that I was the law of PSNP. Dude, if there was some way that ANYONE (which is the case here) pop those fucking retarded online requirements, I would be all over legalizing that shit.

And no, I wouldn't flag you. I actually don't even remember the last time I flagged someone. There was someone here yesterday talking about flag and Rayman, I went there checked his profile, saw the fishy shit and left. I don't care about leaderboards and shit, I'm not one of those members who sit at the fastest achiever boards hitting F5 to report new hackers. I would make my profile here viewable to myself only if there was an option to. Then again, I wouldn't flag you for shit, I don't care about how people play THEIR games, all I do is sympathize for the suffering I've gone through and I don't want ANYONE ELSE to feel the same thing. If you feel like you are a better player than another because you have suffered more doing the same pointless shit over and over for hours and hours, that's on you. When I do that, all I feel is that I'm wasting my time when I could have been playing something more fun.

30 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

i agree with you completely Yuri, but it's not quite what i'm asking...wouldn't discourage people from hitting up public sessions for wanted in hopes of finding a modder if that's their cup of tea and have no problem with people searching YT/the net looking for modders...as a matter of fact you will not see me commenting in those sessions...you also won't see me online trying to report/ban all hackers from existence or commenting on YT pages and cheater websites...if there's a hacker in a public online gta iv lobby, i'll leave without hesitation and that will be where it ends...are we welcoming people to publicize modding on this site in gaming sessions is the question and if yes, where do we draw the line?...many games have grindy trophies is auto-popping ok too if it saves me dozens/100's of hours of grinding?...should there be a vote of which trophies are acceptable to be modded or not?...my point is that cheating is cheating...i don't like it in any part of the site if it involves hacking and modding...unpatched glitches/boosting another story altogether which perhaps can be discussed in another thread...

Then I think I've missed your point, maybe. And then if cheating is cheating, I'm a cheater without any regrets. I've boosted almost all my games, I've glitched the levels in Far Cry 2 using the negative method exp, I've used the credits glitch in FUSE to buy all the perks, etc.. I could list this on and on for all my games, but I won't. Boosting itself is already a line that we have accepted as legal. I hate using the same marijuana line of thought for this, but let's suppose that you ban this guy, what do you think is going to happen? He isn't going to stop. Instead, he will stop publicy exposing himself to HELP players and will start PMing them instead, doing it more privately. Modding is not going to stop because we want to, it's just going to stay illegal. Guy is trying to help here, he is doing something that EVERYONE has access to. No one is going to have advantage over someone else (like hackers do), the only thing is that a lot of people will be able to shortcut through some stupid 100h of pointless grinding trophy that NO SANE PERSON likes to do. I'm sorry if you do like it, I don't mean to offend. It's your right to like it if you love this game enough. I know I've done over 160h+ of Echelon carries in FUSE (what would equate to your FTC runs, probably). Some people just get too attached to certain games, I know well.

8 minutes ago, damienjablonski said:

CO-OPs still take some time if you teleport directly to objectives (Hangman's Noose takes about 2m, Dealbreaker about 5m, Bomb da Base II about 4m30s), as for winning the other game modes that's true but the chances are everyone will leave the session prior to the modder being able to win (which means that match does not count as a win) which is a good thing. I don't condone of using mods this way, those are mods that affects some players in a negative manner which is why I don't offer help in such ways.

The trophy is not being hack opened (I think you are talking about auto popping, that is not what we're doing here), the way it is works is that money drops have an increased value, allowing you to reach level 10 in one match. This does not instantly pop the trophy either, you have to complete another match after that for it to appear.

I think that trophies that take ~40 hours of grinding like Wanted on an 8 year old game are ok to mod, that being said, I can't think of any other trophies like that which you can mod..

The trophies in Warhawk that i mentioned are from a 10 year old game and take about 200 hours of grinding or more. I fail to see your argument on how your way isn't cheating in a flaggable way. Id flag anybody who uses mods in gta4 and send in a screenshot of those conversations and let Sly decide if I knew the game at all. Im sure somebody will though. Let you guys argue it out with him.

15 minutes ago, damienjablonski said:

I think that trophies that take ~40 hours of grinding like Wanted on an 8 year old game are ok to speed up via mods, that being said, I can't think of any other trophies like that which you can get faster with mods..

Youre using external tools that arent part of a game to 'force' certain outcomes. That isnt considered a genuine way of obtaining trophies. Its no different to auto popping. You can continue to argue over the fine details claiming that "Its only mods bro" but it doesnt change what is considered to be cheating. 

Edited by nenugalimas
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, PhilDeezEnYuTees said:

The trophies in Warhawk that i mentioned are from a 10 year old game and take about 200 hours of grinding or more. I fail to see your argument on how your way isn't cheating in a flaggable way. Id flag anybody who uses mods in gta4 and send in a screenshot of those conversations and let Sly decide if I knew the game at all. Im sure somebody will though. Let you guys argue it out with him.

Auto popping is the big difference in this case.. I don't auto pop (and auto popping as far as I know gives you all trophies for a game instantly, which is waaaaaay beyond what's going on here).. I explained this stuff 2 or 3 times already so I guess I'll just give up trying to get my point through 

8 minutes ago, nenugalimas said:

Youre using external tools that arent part of a game to 'force' certain outcomes. That isnt considered a genuine way of obtaining trophies. Its no different to auto popping. You can continue to argue over the fine details claiming that "Its only mods bro" but it doesnt change what is considered to be cheating. 

I know it's "cheating" but so is boosting and the only other way people get this trophy is through boosting.. It IS a lot different from auto popping, it really is.. Auto pop once and your account gets banned by Sony. I don't even have a jailbroken console so I couldnt do that stuff even if I wanted to, the mods I use can be obtained via a system restore from a USB, it's pretty effortless and it is not a jailbreak.. These mods are very limited and can only really mod Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer (on what is called a "bypass", which means you will ONLY play with people who mod or want mods, plus there are no trophies affiliated with that multiplayer mode) and GTA IV. 

I just wanted to debate this topic, like civilised adults. I didn't want to offend anyone or cause anger.. 

2 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

I'm pretty sure I stated that it was my opinion, not that I was the law of PSNP. Dude, if there was some way that ANYONE (which is the case here) pop those fucking retarded online requirements, I would be all over legalizing that shit.

And no, I wouldn't flag you. I actually don't even remember the last time I flagged someone. There was someone here yesterday talking about flag and Rayman, I went there checked his profile, saw the fishy shit and left. I don't care about leaderboards and shit, I'm not one of those members who sit at the fastest achiever boards hitting F5 to report new hackers. I would make my profile here viewable to myself only if there was an option to. Then again, I wouldn't flag you for shit, I don't care about how people play THEIR games, all I do is sympathize for the suffering I've gone through and I don't want ANYONE ELSE to feel the same thing. If you feel like you are a better player than another because you have suffered more doing the same pointless shit over and over for hours and hours, that's on you. When I do that, all I feel is that I'm wasting my time when I could have been playing something more fun.

Then I think I've missed your point, maybe. And then if cheating is cheating, I'm a cheater without any regrets. I've boosted almost all my games, I've glitched the levels in Far Cry 2 using the negative method exp, I've used the credits glitch in FUSE to buy all the perks, etc.. I could list this on and on for all my games, but I won't. Boosting itself is already a line that we have accepted as legal. I hate using the same marijuana line of thought for this, but let's suppose that you ban this guy, what do you think is going to happen? He isn't going to stop. Instead, he will stop publicy exposing himself to HELP players and will start PMing them instead, doing it more privately. Modding is not going to stop because we want to, it's just going to stay illegal. Guy is trying to help here, he is doing something that EVERYONE has access to. No one is going to have advantage over someone else (like hackers do), the only thing is that a lot of people will be able to shortcut through some stupid 100h of pointless grinding trophy that NO SANE PERSON likes to do. I'm sorry if you do like it, I don't mean to offend. It's your right to like it if you love this game enough. I know I've done over 160h+ of Echelon carries in FUSE (what would equate to your FTC runs, probably). Some people just get too attached to certain games, I know well.

If you are suffering, then you're doing it wrong. Gaming should be fun, not a chore. I'm not sure why you would do that to yourself.

However, when you condone hacking, you devalue everybody who has done it legit or even put the effort into boosting. 

Just my opinion. I think its dirty as hell. 

Also, maybe you wouldn't flag my example but somebody definitely would.

5 minutes ago, damienjablonski said:

I know it's "cheating" but so is boosting and the only other way people get this trophy is boosting..

Theres a distinction to be made here. Boositing is something that can be done with the game without tampering with it. It also takes effort. What youre doing is manipulating the game via external tools to fundamentally change the way a game works to achieve something with no effort. NOTE 'external tools'. I dont understand how its not getting through to you...

Edited by nenugalimas
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, damienjablonski said:

Auto popping is the big difference in this case.. I don't auto pop (and auto popping as far as I know gives you all trophies for a game instantly, which is waaaaaay beyond what's going on here).. I explained this stuff 2 or 3 times already so I guess I'll just give up trying to get my point through 

I know it's "cheating" but so is boosting and the only other way people get this trophy is through boosting.. It IS a lot different from auto popping, it really is.. Auto pop once and your account gets banned by Sony 

Cheating is defined by this site (and by other trophy and achievement hunting communities) as using outside tools to modify a game's files or a save file. Using glitches, bugs, and boosting sessions does not fit this definition of cheating.  While autopopping is the most egregious, the other forms are considered cheating as well.

Edited by Urushiro
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Urushiro said:

This community and most other trophy/achievement hunting communities define cheating as the use of external tools to modify a game or its save files. While autopopping is the most egregious, the other forms are considered cheating as well.

I just want to look at the Wanted trophy specifically, could we have a poll to decide whether or not people should be able to reduce the week long grind to 10 minutes or so? All I wanted to do was to help.. 

12 minutes ago, PhilDeezEnYuTees said:

If you are suffering, then you're doing it wrong. Gaming should be fun, not a chore. I'm not sure why you would do that to yourself.

However, when you condone hacking, you devalue everybody who has done it legit or even put the effort into boosting. 

Just my opinion. I think its dirty as hell. 

Also, maybe you wouldn't flag my example but somebody definitely would.

Hey, maybe you had a nice group with Warhawk and had a blast doing it, but I'll assure you that the big majority of people who went through with that, didn't. I probably wouldn't have fun doing it, which is the same very reason why I keep postponing to start BINARY DOMAIN, because I know the online is going to be a pain, even though the survival will probably be big fun to complete.

It's no news to this forums that the big majority of players would like to get the online trophies removed from games or simply a patch that makes all of them autopop to make the game SP online. Here we have one guy who is offering a big step in that direction and everyone is with their pitchforks ready to burn him like a witch? Doesn't make any sense to me; if I'm honest.

Also, do you people realize that is indetectable to know what he is doing with Wanted, right? Literally, you could play the game once, pop the rank 1 trophy, wait a week/month/year and then doing the thing he suggests, you get Wanted. Absolutely no one would be able to tell if you did it legit or not. Hell, you can't even know if he used that guy's help even if the person pops both at once. The brazilian fastest runner (link is all in portuguese, obviously) for GTA4 got the 100% within a week using the boat sniping glitch. He sat for 1 day with his ps3 turned on doing all that until 5 million and then finished the match, getting rank 10 and rank 1 in revert. He streamed the whole thing and made a forum post about it too, was frantic to see him running it, but he got it done in about 4 days and something.

Edited by TheYuriG